2023 Paradym Super Hybrid?

27 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

Kind of funny I stopped at Edwin watts on the way back from Jacksonville today to browse and being that close to Bay Hill I thought of you. 

Kind of odd coincidence you responded to my post about 30 minutes after I left there.

Sorry you had to drive on I4!  😂

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / Too many putters idk

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Sorry you had to drive on I4!  😂

It was bad going up at 5am, it truly sucked coming back. It seems the Yankees are moving south and the vast majority have no idea how to not go under the speed limit in the far left lane, even with a GMC 2500 breathing down their backsides they just tootle along the rat bastards.

I don't mind you driving slow, just get out of the way so people not retired or on vacation can get where they need to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

I’m contemplating putting one in the bag as my only club between my icrossover and driver. Any thoughts on the 18 v 21? I’m looking for something I can hit in high from 200+\-. I hit the crossover 180-190

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Has anyone here tried the 16* turned down and compared it to the Taylormade BRNR Mini? In theory, I'm wondering if the PSH turned down to ~15* would still give you most of the distance off the tee as the BRNR, with maybe a touch more accuracy, and then be significantly easier to hit off the deck as well. 

On 10/25/2023 at 6:44 PM, ALX said:

Has anyone tried this against a Cobra King Tec?

I'm looking for distance, primarily off the tee, maybe 3W replacement. The Cobra has my attention because it can turned down to 15.5. I had the original SH a few years ago and never got along with it, but I blame my (now improved) swing for that.

The Paradigm Super Hybrid and the King Tec Hybrid were both very spinny for me so were significantly shorter in distance than my 3 wood thus I found them to be more suited for long approaches into par 5s than off the tee, if you are looking for a low spin bomber as a 3 wood replacement then you need to look at the Aerojet Hybrid or the Apex UW (both in 17 degrees), both these clubs were much longer in carry distance for me off the tee (only about 15 yards shorter than my 3 wood) due to the super low spin (especially on the Aerojet which also produces loads of roll so total distance is really long and right up there with my 3 wood), I have a 17 degree Aerojet Hybrid in the bag most of the time although on specific courses I sometimes replace it with my 3 wood.

Edited by ARSM1932
typo

35 minutes ago, ARSM1932 said:

The Paradigm Super Hybrid and the King Tec Hybrid were both very spinny for me so were significantly shorter in distance than my 3 wood thus I found them to be more suited for long approaches into par 5s than off the tee, if you are looking for a low spin bomber as a 3 wood replacement then you need to look at the Aerojet Hybrid or the Apex UW (both in 17 degrees), both these clubs were much longer in carry distance for me off the tee (only about 15 yards shorter than my 3 wood) due to the super low spin (especially on the Aerojet which also produces loads of roll so total distance is really long and right up there with my 3 wood), I have a 17 degree Aerojet Hybrid in the bag most of the time although on specific courses I sometimes replace it with my 3 wood.

I’m currently swinging a radspeed 17 degree, which I like alot. Interesting to hear about the tec being spinny, all I’ve seen from reviews is how it’s almost “too long” for a hybrid

22 hours ago, ALX said:

I’m currently swinging a radspeed 17 degree, which I like alot. Interesting to hear about the tec being spinny, all I’ve seen from reviews is how it’s almost “too long” for a hybrid

Fast forward this video to 47:00 for both the Cobra hybrids and my testing has corroborated the findings of Simon that the King Tec is higher spinning and shorter than the Aerojet and by a significant margin, although other players could find that these hybrids perform differently for them, Simon tested both these hybrids in 19 degrees but I have found similar results between them in 17 degrees.

2 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

Fast forward this video to 47:00 for both the Cobra hybrids and my testing has corroborated the findings of Simon that the King Tec is higher spinning and shorter than the Aerojet and by a significant margin, although other players could find that these hybrids perform differently for them, Simon tested both these hybrids in 19 degrees but I have found similar results between them in 17 degrees.

Thanks for that. 

I’d be interested to see how much dialing it down to 15.5 will reduce the spin and descent angle to encourage the run out. Surprised at those Aerojet numbers, but sounds like it’s pretty close to the Rad I’m already swinging

I've previously mentioned that the Paradym SH (21° and 24°) seems more forgiving and higher launching than the Epic SH that I previously bagged. But I'm just a slow-swinging, 8 hdcp senior, so take that FWIW. However, I now have a corroborating opinion from someone with more credibility: an LPGA player (sponsored by Callaway) who practices and plays from time to time at our club.

The other day, I asked her if she's ever tried the PSH (she currently plays a 21° Paradym hybrid). When she said no, I let her hit my 21° Paradym SH; after hitting three balls, she immediately said that it went higher, longer, and straighter than her standard Paradym hybrid. So, I let her try it for a couple days. 

When she returned the Paradym SH yesterday, she said that she had played a practice round with her coach, and he could definitely tell the difference, too. So, she immediately told her Callaway rep to order one for her!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

34 minutes ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

I've previously mentioned that the Paradym SH (21° and 24°) seems more forgiving and higher launching than the Epic SH that I previously bagged. But I'm just a slow-swinging, 8 hdcp senior, so take that FWIW. However, I now have a corroborating opinion from someone with more credibility: an LPGA player (sponsored by Callaway) who practices and plays from time to time at our club.

The other day, I asked her if she's ever tried the PSH (she currently plays a 21° Paradym hybrid). When she said no, I let her hit my 21° Paradym SH; after hitting three balls, she immediately said that it went higher, longer, and straighter than her standard Paradym hybrid. So, I let her try it for a couple days. 

When she returned the Paradym SH yesterday, she said that she had played a practice round with her coach, and he could definitely tell the difference, too. So, she immediately told her Callaway rep to order one for her!

I wish it didnt use .370 shafts. If it was like the UW and took fairway wood .335 shafts I'd have one to mess with for sure.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / Too many putters idk

On 10/29/2023 at 1:17 PM, ALX said:

Thanks for that. 

I’d be interested to see how much dialing it down to 15.5 will reduce the spin and descent angle to encourage the run out. Surprised at those Aerojet numbers, but sounds like it’s pretty close to the Rad I’m already swinging

Yes maybe turning the King Tec down to 15.5 with the correct shaft would work well for you but I am slightly sceptical, it is best that you test the Cobra hybrids against each other to get a definitive answer, good luck in finding your ideal 3 wood replacement.

2 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

Yes maybe turning the King Tec down to 15.5 with the correct shaft would work well for you but I am slightly sceptical, it is best that you test the Cobra hybrids against each other to get a definitive answer, good luck in finding your ideal 3 wood replacement.

I just picked up a King Tec a few days ago. Haven't swung it yet but I'm going to try and get time in a bay and get some numbers.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

Probably not a club that will get much consideration outside of properly done fittings just because it blurs the lines between conventional categories so much. Wouldn't shock me if I end up writing up a bunch of these, though. Reason being that I see tons of players that struggle to hit fairway woods consistently well because the length is excessive for them. Ended up fitting a ton of players like that into Apex UW, and while it afforded them more consistency their well struck shots were a tad shorter than the very rare well struck fairway wood. PSH is likely to present less of a compromise in that department. Of course with that added distance comes extra cost.

At first glance there are lots of similarities to Apex UW, but the experience of hitting both will likely be quite different. PSH is a UW made adjustable and engineered in every way to make the ball go as far as it possibly can out of a club like this.

There's also another line of clubs coming out called Paradym Star, emphasis being heavily on feathery weight.

I hit these as I am trying to fix the top end of my bag , my driver is 285 carry 

my ping 3w LST even at 16 and , 1/20 shots I can carry it 275 and the other 19 max at like 240 , it’s just very inconsistent

then I have a 19* apex hybrid I turned to 18 and I carry it on a baby bunter 240 and if I hit it off a tee I can get it out 270 total around 260 carry , which leaves quite a gap to my 4i which I carry about 215

I hit some 5woods , the UW , and then the guy handed me these 2 clubs , PSH in 16* and a PSH in 19*

16 was very easy to carry 255-260 without much effort , and the 19 was a very smooth 225-230 carry to 240-245 if I went after it , these things felt amazing to hit and effortless to launch , was spinning the 19 at like 4500 rpm 

I am slightly skeptical of purchasing 2x $399 hybrids but these definitely woke me up on the top end of my bag 

• Like 2

So far I think the Paradym is better, but it has been a few years. The paradym to me is easier to hit off the deck and it is hot off the face. The Og. was also but I seemed to remember falling out of love with it pretty quick.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

4 hours ago, sofla said:

May have already been posted, but any comparisons to the previous Epic SH?

I snagged an Epic SH in like new condition, using $100 in rewards points, off CPO. It’s shipping today, and I’ll be able to compare when it comes in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I hit a Paradym SH at a demo day and it felt very muted and dead? Not sure how as I havent felt any woods/hybrids like that in a while. Not sure if it was just my strike location that day.

10 minutes ago, sofla said:

The Epic SH has the better stock shaft i.e. Steelfiber 

The SteelFiber FC is a no-upcharge option for the Paradym SH (as are Mitsubishi MMT and Tensei AV Blue and White).

Edited by HiTrajLoSpin

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2023 at 12:59 AM, thedunedain said:

What's the performance difference between a super hybrid and a wood?  What would the factors be in going with a super hybrid as opposed to a wood or vice versa

Here's a review that piqued my interest :-

https://www.golfmonthly.com/reviews/hybrids/callaway-paradym-super-hybrid-review

"Callaway boldly markets this as a club made for golfers who want the power of a fairway wood and the versatility of a hybrid – claiming it’s designed specifically to be easier to hit than a fairway wood and give you the confidence to take on the most demanding shots. That also includes tee shots down a narrow fairway."

I was using (and enjoying) a Tour Edge 7 wood - the C523 at 22 degrees loft. I'd put a Kai'Li red 75S pull in it... had some lovely high and long shots with it, but it seems to sit a bit closed for my eye - I have ribs built under my Bestgrip microperfs, but even so it's disconcerting a bit.

Which brings me on to my latest impulse (but with good reasons) purchase - the Callaway 21 degree Super Hybrid.

With the stock shaft (a Ventus blue TR 5-S ? - that seems stock here in Asia), distance is as i hoped... i.e. same as the TourEdge 7 wood. Slightly lower ball flight (but i could always try the Kai'Li red in there too later).

The benefit to me is - first, as mentioned in reviews of the super hybrid, it sits or appears a tad open in standard setting... or at least not hooky or closed which I prefer (i'm still using an Adams 9015D driver... so closed face freaks me out). It really is a very nice shape to it at address... and oddly the favce view reminds me of old school Adams hybrids (see that link above for pics of face). But, down on the ground it's an appealing (to me) mid ground size between a hybrid and a full size fairway woods.

and a big second benefit (which you pay for) is the same distance as my 7 wood with an inch less club length, which is that bit easier and more confidence inspiring.

That review above doesn't have address view piscs - so i'll add some here to compare the two... at least in size - the Callaway looks very nice in person, better than my quick photo fails to capture 😉

IMG_5889.jpg.97a65e2aa06be4668f0fd6ef4717281c.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134