Any Jones Rover R/Utility Rover Users?

How do you like it? I was considering getting the Players bag, but then the combo of the utility bag and players bag to make the Rover was very appealing to me. Unfortunately, I haven't seen very many reviews of the Utility Rover/Rover R.

I just sold my large titleist cart bag, and planning to switch between the Rover R and Ping Hoofer lite going forward. 

2 hours ago, ciscojaws said:

Super light, carry what you need, nothing you don't.  I have the one that has the big cushy straps (last year's model).  New straps look better.  I single strap carry mine.  It's only got one top divider, and I usually carry 8-10 clubs.  You can fit 14, but that wouldn't be ideal.  I like it.

I ended up picking one up, but it hasn't arrived yet. I plan on single strapping as well. Are you able to take the other strap off completely? I think I can see myself clipping things to the d-rings if the second strap isn't there. 

4 hours ago, Supr3m3 said:

I ended up picking one up, but it hasn't arrived yet. I plan on single strapping as well. Are you able to take the other strap off completely? I think I can see myself clipping things to the d-rings if the second strap isn't there. 

Yes, comes off completely and you can use the d-rings.

I like my Rover; it's light and very comfortable to carry. I use mine single strap mostly, but I do leave the secondary strap on and use it once in a while later in a round. I do wish it had one more pocket or even a divider in the main pocket. If I have a jacket/sweater in that pocket, it's kind of pain fishing in there for a spare ball as well.

I picked up a Utility Rover (the grey herringbone one) a few months ago as my "second" bag and got it on sale for like $125.  I have a Trouper R as my main bag but wanted something just a little smaller and lighter for trips to the range, Par 3s, quick 9s, etc.  It's functionally enough to be my regular bag and there's not THAT much difference between the two other than no stand, a little lighter, and a little less storage.  Truthfully, I find myself using the Utility Rover a little more than I expected because it fits me so well.  Three things to note with the Utility Rover model specifically: it's not rain resistant (something I didn't know when I bought it and differs from the Rover), I prefer single-strapping it and kinda hate the Jones double strap system, and you *can* fit 14 clubs but it's going to get pretty tight.  I usually carry 12 or 13 in it (driver, 3W, 4H, 5-PW, 52w, 56w, putter) and that fits my game and bag pretty well.  Also, the Utility Rover bag fits perfectly fine on the back of a golf cart--it is structured but doesn't have a ton of it, so it can get "pinched" a bit by the cart strap, though.

A few years ago, I had a Sunday brand bag--I liked how light and portable it was but it was weirdly top heavy and things would spill out all the time.  If you tried to put a wood in there, it was comically oversized for the bag it was in.  The Jones bags are much better made.

• Like 1

FedEx just dropped off my bag. First impressions:

• 10/10 in the looks department, I really like it
  • It's definitely a bag that I need to think about what I want to pack. I'm switching from a Titleist Cart 15 which had so much space I could probably fit an entire pro shop, building and all, into the pockets. 
  • I was able to get 14 clubs in, but I do wish the top was 8" like the Players series. I tested getting clubs in and out, and I have a feeling the club tangle might get pretty gnarly.
  • The weight is very manageable with all of the clubs in. I think I would have no problem carry for 18 with this, but I may also be underestimating picking the bag up and putting it down after every shot.

I use the Players Series bag, unless it is very wet and then I switch to my Jones Utility Stand Bag.  I have looked at and considered the Utility Rover as well.  I am glad to hear some of the feedback.  I also really like the looks of the Heritage Edition Jones bag.  I have a feeling I will be carrying one or the other before the season is over. 

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4 Utility Iron JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:30 PM, Supr3m3 said:

FedEx just dropped off my bag. First impressions:

• 10/10 in the looks department, I really like it
  • It's definitely a bag that I need to think about what I want to pack. I'm switching from a Titleist Cart 15 which had so much space I could probably fit an entire pro shop, building and all, into the pockets. 
  • I was able to get 14 clubs in, but I do wish the top was 8" like the Players series. I tested getting clubs in and out, and I have a feeling the club tangle might get pretty gnarly.
  • The weight is very manageable with all of the clubs in. I think I would have no problem carry for 18 with this, but I may also be underestimating picking the bag up and putting it down after every shot.

Pics?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Update: I took it out for a round yesterday on a cart. It works just fine on the cart, and only had minor issues with club tangle. I'm really liking it so far, but if Jones ever reads this, I would say these are some updates that would make the bag much more improved.

• 0.75" to 1" larger opening on the top. 
  • Extend the belly pocket 1" 
  • Add a water bottle pouch on the side of the front cooler pouch (similar to the Players bags)

None of these are deal breakers, just things that would make a quality of life difference to me. I'll try to post some pics next time I go out.

15 hours ago, Supr3m3 said:

Update: I took it out for a round yesterday on a cart. It works just fine on the cart, and only had minor issues with club tangle. I'm really liking it so far, but if Jones ever reads this, I would say these are some updates that would make the bag much more improved.

• 0.75" to 1" larger opening on the top. 
  • Extend the belly pocket 1" 
  • Add a water bottle pouch on the side of the front cooler pouch (similar to the Players bags)

None of these are deal breakers, just things that would make a quality of life difference to me. I'll try to post some pics next time I go out.

Yeah I would say they should center the club divider at the top, or make the opening as a whole larger - the woods are a little tight.  

Did you get the version with the new straps (non-belt buckle style)?

4 hours ago, ciscojaws said:

Yeah I would say they should center the club divider at the top, or make the opening as a whole larger - the woods are a little tight.  

Did you get the version with the new straps (non-belt buckle style)?

I have the Rover R which has the plastic buckle. I plan to carry this bag with the single strap so I took the other one off completely to make use of the extra D-rings

• 2 weeks later...

first gen utilty rover carry bag going on almost 6 years here... bag is great, but on its last leg. has played well over 500 rounds the strap just separated from the body the other day. but i reattached it with a shoelace on the body, should get a few more months outta it 

moonliting with:
taylormade SIM MAX2 9.5*
taylormade TPMB RAC 3-Pw
bob vokey sm9 50*
taylormade  MG1 56*
callaway PMgrind 60*
wilson staff 8813 34"

4 minutes ago, stooeylewis said:

first gen utilty rover carry bag going on almost 6 years here... bag is great, but on its last leg. has played well over 500 rounds the strap just separated from the body the other day. but i reattached it with a shoelace on the body, should get a few more months outta it 

Dude ... You can get a new one for like $125.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 8/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, tatertot said:

Dude ... You can get a new one for like $125.

Yes i know…. But since that first gen UR bag. They have reduced the number of pockets on the bag and in my opinion the quality of the bags have gone down from what ive seen from my friends who have newer UR bag models. But recently scored a moonlite off fleabay for 69.69$

• Like 1
moonliting with:
taylormade SIM MAX2 9.5*
taylormade TPMB RAC 3-Pw
bob vokey sm9 50*
taylormade  MG1 56*
callaway PMgrind 60*
wilson staff 8813 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Utility Rover during the recent sale.  It hasn't arrived yet, but I am looking forward to getting it out on the course.  I have two other Jones bags that I love.  The Utility Stand bag and a Players #001 Series bag that I have worn out.  

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

On 9/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, alittleoverpar said:

Just bought a Utility Rover during the recent sale.  It hasn't arrived yet, but I am looking forward to getting it out on the course.  I have two other Jones bags that I love.  The Utility Stand bag and a Players #001 Series bag that I have worn out.  

Just my opinion, but I think you may like the Players Series bag more if club tangle is something that bothers you. The Rover's opening is smaller (i think by an inch) than the Players bags. I haven't had a great experience using mine, which is a shame because I love the looks. 

17 hours ago, Supr3m3 said:

Just my opinion, but I think you may like the Players Series bag more if club tangle is something that bothers you. The Rover's opening is smaller (i think by an inch) than the Players bags. I haven't had a great experience using mine, which is a shame because I love the looks. 

I should be OK.  I generally only carry 10 or 11 clubs and have standard size grips.  

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to play a couple of rounds with my new Jones Utility Rover.  The bag works great for me.  Perfect size and very comfortable to carry either single strap or dual.  It took me a few holes to get the straps just right, but I am happy with the bag.  

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

• 1 month later...

Long time Rover user and love the  bag. Bought the latest water resistant version last week for a Bandon  trip. The previous bulletproof metal clasp and attachment has been replaced by plastic and it broke in the middle of a round. Again not a rant against plastic - just  what happened. Had to buy a Ping Moonlite  for the rest of the trip.
The first version with the bottle holder on the side was perfect and the ongoing newer design versions are getting worse. 

Edited by aiyyer

Great looking bag but I ended up returning it simply because my putter kept falling below the top of the bag. If I used a mallet it wouldn’t have been an issue or if the bag had more than 2 dividers.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my first Jones Bag, went with the Jones Utility Rover.  Overall the bag meets my expectations, I like the Grey Herringbone fabric, the single strap option is executed well.  I do have a couple issues with the bag upon delivery, though.

1.  Why are Jones bags so tall?  Not a big issue for me because I'm tall and my clubs are +3/4".  But anyone with standard or shorter clubs, the wedges and putter will hang on the bag edge or drop in.  My putter at 35" will fall below the divider.  Just seems like a weird oversight to me as I've never had a bag with this issue.

2.  What's with the false pocket under the little mesh pocket?  The mesh pocket is fine, but why is that traditional ball pocket not functional (does not have a zipper).

3.  The first bag I received looked to be built well but the plastic base had a bulge on the bottom where the bag sits.  I contacted Jones and they shipped me out another bag right away, no hassle and excellent response.  Unfortunately, the replacement bag I received has the bulge in exactly the same spot.  Hopefully we get this sorted out but you think the quality control would catch this, it's pretty obvious.

Edited by TitlePured

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

6 hours ago, TitlePured said:

Just received my first Jones Bag, went with the Jones Utility Rover.  Overall the bag meets my expectations, I like the Grey Herringbone fabric, the single strap option is executed well.  I do have a couple issues with the bag upon delivery, though.

1.  Why are Jones bags so tall?  Not a big issue for me because I'm tall and my clubs are +3.4".  But anyone with standard or shorter clubs, the wedges and putter will hang on the bag edge or drop in.  My putter at 35" will fall below the divider.  Just seems like a weird oversight to me as I've never had a bag with this issue.

2.  What's with the false pocket under the little mesh pocket?  The mesh pocket is fine, but why is that traditional ball pocket not functional (does not have a zipper).

3.  The first bag I received looked to be built well but the plastic base had a bulge on the bottom where the bag sits.  I contacted Jones and they shipped me out another bag right away, no hassle and excellent response.  Unfortunately, the replacement bag I received has the bulge in exactly the same spot.  Hopefully we get this sorted out but you think the quality control would catch this, it's pretty obvious.

#1 is very annoying.  I tried an Original bag and my 35" putter and std length wedges looked weird in the bag because it's 1 or 2 inches too tall.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

9 hours ago, TitlePured said:

#2 seems odd.  I don't have one, but assumed the black mesh was a water bottle sleeve and the zip was for the pocket behind?  False pocket is weird for sure. Can you post a close up pic? I've haven't heard about this in any of the other reviews. 

On 12/12/2023 at 5:28 PM, trying2scratch said:

#2 seems odd.  I don't have one, but assumed the black mesh was a water bottle sleeve and the zip was for the pocket behind?  False pocket is weird for sure. Can you post a close up pic? I've haven't heard about this in any of the other reviews. 

I was hesitant to mention this because as soon as I did, I would find a hidden access/ zipper.  I've looked multiple times, still seems like a faux pocket to me.

IMG_5526.jpeg.9af627e562909ec59b4c34da23389fd8.jpeg

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

On 12/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, brew4eagle said:

#1 is very annoying.  I tried an Original bag and my 35" putter and std length wedges looked weird in the bag because it's 1 or 2 inches too tall.

Yeah, I'm surprised that this hasn't been a bigger issue for them with customers.  I also chose the Rover over the Players model bag because it's listed as 36" tall vs 37".  So the original is an inch taller than this bag that I already think is too tall, and I'm using longer clubs!  Weird.

Edited by TitlePured

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

59 minutes ago, TitlePured said:

I was hesitant to mention this because as soon as I did, I would find a hidden access/ zipper.  I've looked multiple times, still seems like a faux pocket to me.

IMG_5526.jpeg.9af627e562909ec59b4c34da23389fd8.jpeg

Very weird! I don't have one but assumed it was a pocket. Strange that this is never mentioned in any of the reviews... Until now! Thx