2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Louisville trip: Bourbon info needed, downtown recommendations

bonvivantva

I'm planning a golf trip to Louisville, and I'd like some help with bars, restaurants, and bourbon tastings.  We have a hardhat tour at Buffalo Trace booked for 12:30.  I figure we'll get back from that around 3:30-4, and I'll have us dropped off downtown on Whiskey Row.  Any recommendations there?  We're a group of 12.  We'd like to maybe do a bourbon tasting or tour downtown, and then all have dinner together.  I really only need to plan this one night, then after that the nightlife, distilleries, etc., will be every man for himself.  Thanks!

Edited by bonvivantva

• bonvivantva changed the title to Louisville trip: Bourbon info needed, downtown recommendations

Fourth Street is downtown.  I have had the misfortune of having to walk from a hotel to the UofL hospital and back again at night.  I don't recommend it.  Stay in the well-traveled areas of Louisville.

(You might can tell that I don't have a high opinion of that city.)

If possible I would try and expand your trip out towards Lexington and Frankfort where true horse and bourbon country are located.  Don't ditch Louisville completely, just take it for the night life on fourth street.

Do you have a hotel downtown? Or what is the plan there?

21c Museum hotel and Hotel Distil are the 2 most recent I've stayed in Louisville, I like them both a lot. 

For a group that size I would lean heavy on places that take reservations, both for bars and food.

For dinner - it's a little kitschy but I've never had a bad meal at Jeff Ruby's and they do a good job hosting groups.  For something more casual proof on main. 

For distilleries downtown - Evan Williams experience and Old Forester are usually the most highly regarded but there are lots to choose from.

For bars and bourbon tastings - Silver Dollar is a classic and has been featured on a bunch of TV shows. Doc Crow's I think has a private room for tastings, a group of 12 might be big enough for something like that. 

The Urban Bourbon Trail has a bunch of resources/listings: https://www.bourboncountry.com/things-to-do/urban-bourbon-trail/

Lexington, KY here, but frequent Louisville (also work at a distillery).  Keep in mind when you plan to watch out for September (Churchill) and October (Keeneland).  Rates and bookings are really bad.

If you're looking for a tour, there a few right on Whiskey Row and a few that are a little further.  Also depends on what type of bourbon you're into.  Book them now, they fill up fast.  The only tours I haven't been on yet were Rabbit Hole and Michter's.  Timing wise, they never quite worked out.  If you have time, do a tour of a "big guy" on the regular bourbon trail and then a "little guy" on the craft tour.  Interesting to see the smaller ones!  Also, more flavor variability between batches.

A group of 12 is going to be tough to get the same tour time, especially on the weekend.  Some places are booking 3 months out now.  

What you might want to do is split the group into two.  Have 6 to go Old Forester and 6 go to Evan Williams (they're right next to each other on the block).

Old Forester- Walkable; Fun tour good tastings available (Standard 100, Private Selection, and IIRC 

Evan Williams- Walkable, Speakeasy available in the basement, good selection during your tasting, had a Japan-only release and a 12-year at the tasting

Angel's Envy- Walkable (during the day only), Tour was okay, 1 bourbon, 1 rye, and a barrel proof on the tasting; All "finished products"

Rabbit Hole- Walkable, Did a tasting, but not the tour

Michter's- Walkable, great bar; Didn't do the tour, but had several drinks in the bar, great selection of both pre-Michter's juice/blends and their own

Kentucky Peerless- Walkable; Interesting tour and well-done tasting; Products are really great for a cigaqr/patio everyone, but really good

Stitzel-Weller (need to Uber)

As far as bars, Hell or High Water, Nachbar, Taj, High Horse (personal favorite for dive bar), Bar Vetti, Bar Expo, Pin + Proof at the Omni, Gertie's Whiskey Bar.

I'd recommend not staying at Galt House.  Too big and not a great experience.  I'm staying at 21C next week.  Favorite hotel is Hotel Distil.  AC Hotel may be an option, but that's not on Whiskey Row.

23 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

For dinner - it's a little kitschy but I've never had a bad meal at Jeff Ruby's and they do a good job hosting groups

Agreed, but they're actually closed right not for a renovation.

Edited by CactusGolf

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Fourth Street is downtown.  I have had the misfortune of having to walk from a hotel to the UofL hospital and back again at night.  I don't recommend it.  Stay in the well-traveled areas of Louisville.

(You might can tell that I don't have a high opinion of that city.)

If possible I would try and expand your trip out towards Lexington and Frankfort where true horse and bourbon country are located.  Don't ditch Louisville completely, just take it for the night life on fourth street.

I'd agree with that.  For night life, I'd go the NuLu area around Bar Vetti.  Taj/Korean Karoake Bar/West 6th right there and safe.

I'm in Lex and we really enjoy it.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I have stayed at eh embassy suites down town and the Seelbach across from it.  Both nice hotels in the middle of the action.  I have stayed at Galt House many times for conferences and the like.  Not sure about now but there is usually always some construction going on with that place.  Stayed in the west tower last time and it had been recently renovated but it truthfully was like any other chain hotel room you may run into.  Galt is easy if you have a conference being held there.  Otherwise there are more fun options.  Though the little overwalk bar they have there is handy if you just need a drink and don't want to head out.

On 8/22/2023 at 4:17 PM, CactusGolf said:

Lexington, KY here, but frequent Louisville (also work at a distillery).  Keep in mind when you plan to watch out for September (Churchill) and October (Keeneland).  Rates and bookings are really bad.

If you're looking for a tour, there a few right on Whiskey Row and a few that are a little further.  Also depends on what type of bourbon you're into.  Book them now, they fill up fast.  The only tours I haven't been on yet were Rabbit Hole and Michter's.  Timing wise, they never quite worked out.  If you have time, do a tour of a "big guy" on the regular bourbon trail and then a "little guy" on the craft tour.  Interesting to see the smaller ones!  Also, more flavor variability between batches.

A group of 12 is going to be tough to get the same tour time, especially on the weekend.  Some places are booking 3 months out now.  

What you might want to do is split the group into two.  Have 6 to go Old Forester and 6 go to Evan Williams (they're right next to each other on the block).

Old Forester- Walkable; Fun tour good tastings available (Standard 100, Private Selection, and IIRC 

Evan Williams- Walkable, Speakeasy available in the basement, good selection during your tasting, had a Japan-only release and a 12-year at the tasting

Angel's Envy- Walkable (during the day only), Tour was okay, 1 bourbon, 1 rye, and a barrel proof on the tasting; All "finished products"

Rabbit Hole- Walkable, Did a tasting, but not the tour

Michter's- Walkable, great bar; Didn't do the tour, but had several drinks in the bar, great selection of both pre-Michter's juice/blends and their own

Kentucky Peerless- Walkable; Interesting tour and well-done tasting; Products are really great for a cigaqr/patio everyone, but really good

Stitzel-Weller (need to Uber)

As far as bars, Hell or High Water, Nachbar, Taj, High Horse (personal favorite for dive bar), Bar Vetti, Bar Expo, Pin + Proof at the Omni, Gertie's Whiskey Bar.

I'd recommend not staying at Galt House.  Too big and not a great experience.  I'm staying at 21C next week.  Favorite hotel is Hotel Distil.  AC Hotel may be an option, but that's not on Whiskey Row.

Agreed, but they're actually closed right not for a renovation.

What do you mean about Churchill in September?  

On 8/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, golfortennis said:

What do you mean about Churchill in September?  

Churchill Downs has some fall runs that start in mid-September.

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• 5 weeks later...

@bonvivantva I'm a little late to the party and not sure on your specific dates, but you may want to call ahead to some of the courses.  My home course and many others are punching greens this time of year.  We are scheduled for next week.  There are lots of great options in Nulu, especially if you will be in that area with your tours.  

Edited by Bushwood Caddy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We had a great time.  Went to Buffalo Trace and Bulleit one day, played Covered Bridge, Chariot Run, and Champions Pointe.  Went to Doc's and some bars downtown.  Also had some really nice options right by the hotel like Upland.  Really lucked out with the weather.

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, bonvivantva said:

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We had a great time.  Went to Buffalo Trace and Bulleit one day, played Covered Bridge, Chariot Run, and Champions Pointe.  Went to Doc's and some bars downtown.  Also had some really nice options right by the hotel like Upland.  Really lucked out with the weather.

Bonvivantva, heading to Louisville in a couple weeks.  Out of the three courses you played, which one did you like the most?  I have time to play once during my trip.