Relocating to Heath, Texas

PNWBBBogeyMaster8977

Hello,

I am moving to Heath, Texas from Portland, Oregon.  We recently closed on our home and will be moving in before the end of this month.  I am curious what others feel about the Heath Golf and Yacht Club since it will be right around the corner, literally biking distance.  I am 37 with two young boys, one whom loves to golf!  So curious if the commitment to the club is worth it or not.  I am also sadly leaving Bandon Dunes behind 😞 I've gone at least one to two times a year for the last 5 years.  Is there anything within the state (driving distance) or even neighboring states that comes even close to a Bandon course?  It doesn't need to be a 6-7 golf course resort type but purely a LINKS course of that quality.  It will be missed...  Thanks!

3 hours ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Hello,

I am moving to Heath, Texas from Portland, Oregon.  We recently closed on our home and will be moving in before the end of this month.  I am curious what others feel about the Heath Golf and Yacht Club since it will be right around the corner, literally biking distance.  I am 37 with two young boys, one whom loves to golf!  So curious if the commitment to the club is worth it or not.  I am also sadly leaving Bandon Dunes behind 😞 I've gone at least one to two times a year for the last 5 years.  Is there anything within the state (driving distance) or even neighboring states that comes even close to a Bandon course?  It doesn't need to be a 6-7 golf course resort type but purely a LINKS course of that quality.  It will be missed...  Thanks!

First of all welcome to Texas. Second, beware biking around here. We are all cars and trucks and going to run you off the road, biking is not a thing here in Dallas unless you have a death wish. Basically any course you choose around here is going to be in much better condition that Bandon - no one cares about that place outside of the foggy PNW bubble (in reality it is a cheaply run course with good marketing on an amazing piece of property). Also, we don't do links golf around here. There is no ocean, and we have trees. So you better give up on that because no matter how hard you look you aren't going to find it. Not trying to be rude, just a dose of reality.

However, if you are moving into that community I would say it is an absolute yes join the club if you can afford it. You and you family will probably meet the best friends for the rest of your life there, and that's worth the cost. I honestly wish I was in your shoes. If you want to meet some guys to play other courses around here keep posting and you will get many opportunities. Welcome again.

Edited by TexasTurf

Thanks, TexasTurf.  Man, so there's no options along the Gulf along Texas/Louisianna?  What a shame.  And thank you for your feedback on the Heath Golf/Yacht Club, I've found little to no information/reviews about the course.   Hopefully there are some members on our block so I can gain access and get a good feel for the course and club community.  And you are right, this would be a good opportunity to meet others/friends within our community, one of the biggest reasons were excited about our move.  We never did feel welcomed within our own community for the last 8 years in Oregon...  brother (lives in Frisco) tells me Texans are wonderful & very welcoming people.  Very excited to move in!  Thanks again,

I do not have much info on the Health golf club but know some people at the Rockwall golf club and they really seem to like it.  It is on the opposite side of you but might want to check it out.  Buffalo Creek is also a nice course that is making a come back after getting sold back to the original owners.  

I grew up in North Texas. Lots of my family still lives there including my parents.

You can road bike in plenty of spots in the greater DFW area, but you certainly don't want to choose just any road to go out on. I'm sure there are a bunch of road biking groups you can join that would have a lot more information.

People outside of the foggy PNW love Bandon Dunes, myself included. 

I've always wanted to go check out this "links style" course that's about 100 miles away from you.  Looks cool, but I don't know how it would compare to bonafide links courses you might have experienced:

https://www.pinedunes.com/

Check out the Tribute Course in The Colony. It's super fun, but I haven't played it in a really long time.

https://www.golfclubsatthetribute.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=133&ssid=188&vnf=1

Hope that helps. What DFW lacks in pristine public and semi-public golf courses, it makes up in sheer number of golf courses. They are everywhere and much less expensive than a lot of more popular golf destinations.

24 minutes ago, angler99 said:

I've always wanted to go check out this "links style" course that's about 100 miles away from you.  Looks cool, but I don't know how it would compare to bonafide links courses you might have experienced:

Pine Dunes is not a links course.  I would say it really reminds me more of a course in the sand hills of North Carolina.  I moved here from Durham NC. and a lot of the terrain here remines me of that region of the Carolinas down to the Pinehurst area to the sand hills.....

I like Pine Dunes, I have played it at least once a year since I moved to east Texas about 10 years ago. Many rate it one of the better course in the state, especially that you can play, but it doesn't wow me. I grew up in Northern Michigan and lived in the Carolinas, played many courses that I would put above PD that might not get that much mention.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

6 hours ago, angler99 said:

I grew up in North Texas. Lots of my family still lives there including my parents.

You can road bike in plenty of spots in the greater DFW area, but you certainly don't want to choose just any road to go out on. I'm sure there are a bunch of road biking groups you can join that would have a lot more information.

People outside of the foggy PNW love Bandon Dunes, myself included. 

Check out the Tribute Course in The Colony. It's super fun, but I haven't played it in a really long time.

https://www.golfclubsatthetribute.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=133&ssid=188&vnf=1

Hope that helps. What DFW lacks in pristine public and semi-public golf courses, it makes up in sheer number of golf courses. They are everywhere and much less expensive than a lot of more popular golf destinations.

If you are making the trip to The Colony hit up the sister course Ola American over The Tribute or play 36 and play them both.  

I think the public scene is pretty good in DFW if you compare it to Houston, Austin, or San Antonio.  The problem is that most non muni top tier courses are now over $100 to play on the weekends.  Another thing that is popping up is most now also have memberships you can join that make it hard to get the preferred tee times on the weekend mornings. 

5 hours ago, Mike_C said:

Pine Dunes is not a links course.  I would say it really reminds me more of a course in the sand hills of North Carolina.  I moved here from Durham NC. and a lot of the terrain here remines me of that region of the Carolinas down to the Pinehurst area to the sand hills.....

I like Pine Dunes, I have played it at least once a year since I moved to east Texas about 10 years ago. Many rate it one of the better course in the state, especially that you can play, but it doesn't wow me. I grew up in Northern Michigan and lived in the Carolinas, played many courses that I would put above PD that might not get that much mention.

100% agree that Pine Dunes is not a links at all but a fun course.   I am worried that they are going to start pricing themselves out of range for what they offer in lodging and food.  I saw a IG post a couple weeks ago saying to "book now using this years rates for next year".  They already charge $139 on the weekends and $89 during the week and i am not driving 2 hours to pay that when we have solid courses in DFW for less than that.  It is a fun weekend golf trip but Tempest is just as nice and you will spend about half with better lodging and food. 

• Like 2

I was here years ago and the tribute was one of my favorites I played.  Never got out to old american, will definitely make an effort to get out there now that I’m here.  Coincidentally, my brother played Pine Dunes last week and has been raving about it since I finally got into town today.  Claims it is his favorite Tx course and reminds him of Bandon Trails.  $139 is quite steep but I’m sure I will make it there soon.  I think I will give Buffalo Creek a go if possible next weekend for my first round, too much crap going on this weekend with wife/kids flying in, I had the pleasure of driving for 3 days with two dogs, dogs couldnt board flights due to elevated temps. Tomorrow I’ll get a chance to see Heath Golf and Yacht community for the first time and get the keys to our home.  Hopefully they offer community folks a free round or two to get a feel for the course before forking over 22k for the initiation fee.  And Ive been drooling over Rockwall Athletic Club for two months now since putting in an offer on our home in Heath thinking we made a mistake not considering Rockwall, that golf course looks absolutely amazing (from google earth) and have read initiation fees are around 8k vs 22k at Heath GYC.  I wont be making any decision for a few months, i’ve just got way too many questions about how it all works and plus I’m a golf weekend warrior, full time Mon-Fri in office job starting next week.  So dont even know if Golf Clubs make sense for those whom can only golf weekends?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:39 PM, TexasTurf said:

First of all welcome to Texas. Second, beware biking around here. We are all cars and trucks and going to run you off the road, biking is not a thing here in Dallas unless you have a death wish. Basically any course you choose around here is going to be in much better condition that Bandon - no one cares about that place outside of the foggy PNW bubble (in reality it is a cheaply run course with good marketing on an amazing piece of property). Also, we don't do links golf around here. There is no ocean, and we have trees. So you better give up on that because no matter how hard you look you aren't going to find it. Not trying to be rude, just a dose of reality.

However, if you are moving into that community I would say it is an absolute yes join the club if you can afford it. You and you family will probably meet the best friends for the rest of your life there, and that's worth the cost. I honestly wish I was in your shoes. If you want to meet some guys to play other courses around here keep posting and you will get many opportunities. Welcome again.

Split Rail has kinda a links golf feel to it.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

I made an account simply to be able to reply to this.  Welcome to the area!

I am a member there and love the club.  It’s an overall younger membership with a lot of really good golfers and very kid friendly.  It’s very laid back and a great pace of play.  Currently there is no tee sheet so you can simply show up and go, but that’s changing as membership is right around 200 currently and the Friday/Saturday mornings are getting busier and they are trying to keep the peace.  The range is great and there is a decent practice green (great condition, just small), but no chipping area which is part of a member driven wish list that has ownership’s attention.  The course is in really good shape, just not “excellent,” but remembering that it’s still young and we had a really strange spring that hurt a lot of area courses it’s pretty dang good!  They are putting a lot of resources into the conditions, have ordered specialty green mowers, and constantly working to get ahead of the areas of need.  It’s zoysia tee boxes, greens, and collars with Bermuda fairways and the pro desperately wants to have top quality greens, so it’s just a matter of time.  Lastly - the food at the club is great.  

Edit: My close friend is a member at Rockwall Golf and Athletic Club on the north side of town.  Another great option and very friendly atmosphere too.  It’s less expensive, thus busier, but they continue to pump money into it. It’s a fun track with great conditions, but I dont love most of the holes and being right on the lake makes it significantly more windy than Heath even tho Heath is a links style course.  I saw Buffalo Creek mentioned above and it’s an awesome public course with a great layout and much improved conditions since the original owners took back over.  With that said, even if I wasn’t a member at Heath, I’ve been staying away from it for the past several years b/c it’s always full or closed for tournaments.   I do anything I can to avoid 5 hour rounds… 

Happy to answer any other questions.  Feel free to send me a PM. 

Edited by PuttingforBogey
Added more info
  • Like 1

Hi PuttingforBogey,

thanks for the welcome!  I was given a tour yesterday with the director of golf, Larry.  My brother and I both toured each hole, its definitely a beautiful course, I love the layout.  Course can only improve over time as the landscape matures.  I wasn't able to retain everything mentioned about future landscape changes but sounds like they're heading in the right direction with eventually a 9 hole par 3 course once they hit 300 members.  I did walk on a few greens and was surprised to see plenty of slope, they look flat from a distance, so that was a pleasant surprise!  Anyways, I've decided to join the club, will likely commit in the next week or two.  One thing that I was drawn to was the lack of traffic on the course, time will tell if it remains that way but i'm looking forward to evenings playing a few holes after work with my oldest son before dark 🙂.  We were able to spend the entire afternoon at the pool, it really is a lovely community,  Looking forward to moving in next weekend 🙂 Thanks everybody for all of the feedback! 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:12 PM, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

On 8/24/2023 at 11:39 PM, TexasTurf said:

Basically any course you choose around here is going to be in much better condition that Bandon - no one cares about that place outside of the foggy PNW bubble (in reality it is a cheaply run course with good marketing on an amazing piece of property).

I just cannot disagree more with this. Outside of private golf in DFW there is not anyone close that can come to the conditioning that Bandon was in. DFW public golf is absolute trash so prepare yourself for that. 

No one cares about Bandon outside of the PNW?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean we had 8 guys from all over the country fly into Portland and drive 4 hours to get to that place, I don't see many people doing that to get out at Texas Star?!? What are you even talking about??? If you called Bandon right now to get a time you are looking at booking 1.5+ YEARS out, but yea no one cares... 

OP, don't listen to this guy, Bandon is a literal religious golf experience, and you will get nothing of the sort here in DFW. 

Edited by iACE13
  • Like 2

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"

1 hour ago, iACE13 said:

I just cannot disagree more with this. Outside of private golf in DFW there is not anyone close that can come to the conditioning that Bandon was in. DFW public golf is absolute trash, layout and condition wise so prepare yourself for that. 

No one cares about Bandon outside of the PNW?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean we had 8 guys from all over the country fly into Portland and drive 4 hours to get to that place, I don't see many people doing that to get out at Texas Star?!? What are you even talking about??? If you called Bandon right now to get a time you are looking at booking 1.5+ YEARS out, but yea no one cares... 

OP, don't listen to this guy, Bandon is a literal religious golf experience, and you will get nothing of the sort here in DFW. 

Waterchase, hawks creek, Tierra verde, Texas star, mesquite are far from trash. In fact I absolutely love the golf in this area.

9 minutes ago, gs1184 said:

Waterchase, hawks creek, Tierra verde, Texas star, mesquite are far from trash. In fact I absolutely love the golf in this area.

You got some traveling to do if you think DFW has good public golf…

• Like 1

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"

8 hours ago, gs1184 said:

I agree we have some solid public golf especially if you look at the other major cities in Texas.  Other sates have some better terrain to work with but down here most areas don't.  

• Like 1

Yah I agree, Bandon Dunes is unbeatable, even during a hail storm in december at $100 a round ☺️.  Well I got out to the Tribute last weekend and Buffalo Creek yesterday evening.  Tribute was fun but am less excited about it now for whatever reason, Buffalo Creek actually blew me away.  Very fun course with some beautiful water holes and wide fairways, I was very impressed with the course.  I’m curious how many acres it is built on, feels like a massive area, some of the fairways were huge! $49 twilight rate is tough to beat as well.  

Anybody play Tempest GC?  My brother had never heard of it but has played Pine Dunes a few times, curious about whether this course is worthy of a longer drive from time to time.  I did spend some time yesterday looking at coastal options, doesnt look like theres anything built over bluffs over the ocean, so im going to let that go now.  

https://www.tempestgolfclub.com

On 9/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Yah I agree, Bandon Dunes is unbeatable, even during a hail storm in december at $100 a round ☺️.  Well I got out to the Tribute last weekend and Buffalo Creek yesterday evening.  Tribute was fun but am less excited about it now for whatever reason, Buffalo Creek actually blew me away.  Very fun course with some beautiful water holes and wide fairways, I was very impressed with the course.  I’m curious how many acres it is built on, feels like a massive area, some of the fairways were huge! $49 twilight rate is tough to beat as well.  

Anybody play Tempest GC?  My brother had never heard of it but has played Pine Dunes a few times, curious about whether this course is worthy of a longer drive from time to time.  I did spend some time yesterday looking at coastal options, doesnt look like theres anything built over bluffs over the ocean, so im going to let that go now.  

I have played Tempest a couple of times.  Not a bad layout, still a bit rough around the edges to me, needs some time to mature. 

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 9/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Played a tournament at Tempest.  Boy that course was HARD. Beautiful and picturesque.  Greens are OK. Alot of blind tee shots which are annoying when you have people in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 8:12 PM, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Hello,

I haven't played out there: the closest club I have played toward Rockwall/East Dallas was Woodbridge. It was OK but now has new ownership that was supposedly putting $$ into the place. It's in Wylie though, 25 minutes away. 

DFW public golf is pretty darn mediocre overall. I just got back from Central Oregon; the muni in Redmond destroyed pretty much every public course in DFW that I have played (The Star and Heritage Ranch exempted). Black Butte was very, very good and no more than you would pay at a boring, overbooked public course in DFW. As was Quail Run. Sunriver is only $60 twilight and it hosted the NCAAs a few years back. There is a ton of disposable income in DFW, which pushes the price of everything up. 

Land is too expensive in Dallas now and there are too many golfers; why either build a course or put money into it when people are throwing money at you to play a 5-hour round at a run-down facility?  

As for cycling, check out the Strava Heat map to find safer places to ride. The riding out here isn't Oregon: we don't have bike lanes for the most part and it can be tough to get from the suburb to the country. Even though we have good bike commuting weather most of the year, it's as if governments are on a mission to make people overweight and married to their cars. Our kids can't even ride their bikes to school safely; they would love to but it's way too dangerous on the access road. I used to do 90% of my errands by bike (pick up kids-drop off packages-buy groceries) and it's nearly impossible to do that where we live now, and that's a real shame. 

I’m not defending the public golf here is something better than Oregon or any other cooler climate but I can promise you it’s not hard to grow grass in Oregon compared to the hellhole weather we have here in Texas. 

The unbearable heat this year has all but ruined several public courses that don’t have the proper infrastructure to keep them thriving in the heat. 

• Like 1

@RoyalMustang Oregon does have some beautiful Muni courses.  Only problem is that it is soggy/mushy (Portland) about 7-8 months out of the year.  But for 4 months it is amazing!  So far, I'm happy with my decision to join the Heath Golf & Yacht Club.  It is a beautiful course.  And went ahead and booked my 6-day Bandon Dunes trip, looks like I'll be heading back to Oregon next winter to get my Links fix after all.  I am looking forward to winter golf out here, I know it can get cold but looks like its only cold and not wet.  Portland winter golf sucked. I still did it every weekend but 10+ inches of rain in the month of December w/ freezing temps makes for horrendous golf conditions.

4 hours ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

@RoyalMustang Oregon does have some beautiful Muni courses.  Only problem is that it is soggy/mushy (Portland) about 7-8 months out of the year.  But for 4 months it is amazing!  So far, I'm happy with my decision to join the Heath Golf & Yacht Club.  It is a beautiful course.  And went ahead and booked my 6-day Bandon Dunes trip, looks like I'll be heading back to Oregon next winter to get my Links fix after all.  I am looking forward to winter golf out here, I know it can get cold but looks like its only cold and not wet.  Portland winter golf sucked. I still did it every weekend but 10+ inches of rain in the month of December w/ freezing temps makes for horrendous golf conditions.

yeah, you will definitely get mostly dry conditions here in the winter. The rainy season is mainly spring and early summer. I haven't played at Heath but the courses here that were designed with drainage are typically playable within 2 days after a big rain event (2+ inches). Those that aren't can be pretty brutal. Most courses seemed to be located near drainage/waterways and therefore those that don't have good drainage are either muddy or rock-hard dirt. Here at Heritage, hole # 6 will completely flood and close the front 9 for 2-3 days but once it re-opens and is cleared of debris, it will play as normal a few days later. The creek will rise a good 10 feet: the ground is hard and water has no place to go. The same event that takes 10+ inches of rain in Oregon takes 2-3 here, depending on soil conditions.  

Shoot me a DM if you want to play sometime.