Just returned from my 40th birthday bash......my review!

Shipwreck

Awesome review, and I agree with pretty much everything you said.  Next time you'll have to play the BWR courses and Washington County!

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

19 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Good morning everyone. I finally returned from my long weekend in Wisconsin, and man oh man, what an adventure it was. Here is my review of all of the courses we played and what everyone's impressions were:

The Baths: We started our golf trip with a leisurely round at The Baths...or what we thought would be an easy round. What we didn't expect was one of the windiest days of the month to be on the day we decided to play Baths and Straits. The greens were absolutely pure, the course was pure, and everyone had a great time, especially w/ the massive putting green there. We could have stayed there all day just drinking and having fun. The price was a little high ($80) for our liking, but what can you do? Everyone wants to come back sometime and play Meadow Valley and River at some time in the future.

Straits: What more can be said about this course that hasn't been said? It was beautiful, intense, difficult, and every positive emotion you could think of, even w/ 35mph winds. Our caddy, Wes, was one of the greatest caddies I've ever experienced. At first glace, we saw this baby faced kid who looked like a junior caddy and would struggle double bagging our clubs, but what we got was one of the most knowledgable, fun caddies who is an insane stick as well! He was giving us reads within a 1/2 ball and was spot on every time. The course was incredible, but we had the first twilight times and BARELY squeaked in a full 18 when it was dark. Understandable, considering the insane wind and pace of play. The winds were going north to south so some of the holes were insanely fun and others were not so much. For whatever dumb reason we played one box up from the tips and on hole 6 (par 3) it was playing 215 yards and we all had to hit driver. Good times lol. The highlights of this round were my back-to-back birdies on 2 and 3 and Becky, the beverage cart lady, giving me a free beer and snacks for my birthday. I didn't even mention anything to them except for when I set up the tee times back in early Jan. Truly a class act by the entire crew there. 

Erin Hills: We go from 35mph winds that kicked all of our butts to a beautiful, calm day. Erin Hills is truly a one of a kind place and it really felt like we were the only ones out on the course that day. The course was pristine, greens rolled faster than Whistling and it was more of a challenge in some ways, especially that par 3 9th hole. I know why they call it the easiest par 5 on the course (I took a 6). The caddies left something to be desired. My caddy was a nice guy. Chatty and gave some good reads, not great but acceptable. 2 of the guys in our other group had what could only be described as probably the worst caddy out there. Wrong lines off the tee, wrong distances to the pin, wrong lines on putts. Everything about it just seemed bad and it was extremely frustrating for them and a total waste of $ in the end. 

Washington County GC: We skipped WCGC because we were dead after Erin Hills and decided to go home, cook some steaks and drink a lot of Spotted Cow. A LOT!

Lawsonia Links: Lawsonia (both courses) was the wild card of the entire trip. There seems to be polarizing views on Lawsonia but all of us that went were in agreement with one thing; it was 100% worth the drive! We loved the links and want to thank the lord that they cut the fescue down because even with it somewhat bare of fescue, it was a challenge and a half! Hole 7 (boxcar) was an absolute gem and we all loved it except for the difference in bunkers from front to back. Not sure what the thought process was but the front bunkers left something to be desired and unfortunately had a lot of large rocks in it. But overall no real complaints.

Lawsonia Woodlands: Somehow these two courses exist on the same property and are so insanely different it is impossible for me to wrap my brain around. Woodlands was so pure and those greens have to be the most difficult to read of any course I've ever played. An error on my end on this course pretty much ruined my time there, as somehow my rangefinder got switched from yards to meters and I didn't notice it (despite the M in the viewfinder) and I was coming up woefully short on every single hole. Needless to say I did not have fun on that round and left the course somewhat salty. But overall, I'd happily play there over and over again.

The Bull: My absolute favorite course in Wisconsin and everyone was in agreement that it was in the best shape of all the tracks we played. We played the green tees and everyone got their butts kicked by it and, despite it being 1000 yards shorter than Erin Hills, everyone said it was more challenging. They also said that for $119, it was the best value for golf they'd ever seen and would have gladly paid double that for the course. Wind was up a bit (probably 10-20mph at times) but that didn't stop the fun at all. 

Overall, all of the guys had an absolute blast in Wisconsin and they were surprised that it was such a golf haven. I told them we need to keep it that way and continue to support Wisconsin golf in every way we can. We are already planning our next big trip out there in a couple of years!

Great review and we are going next week to WS.  The weather looks to be in highs in the mid 70's and lows in the upper 50's low 60's, my question is does being by the lake make it feel colder?  I might ditch shorts all together if so and just bring pants and a light pullover.  

Also, on the Baths what tees did yall play?  I think playing the back tees might take some of the fun out of a casual par 3 course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

Great review and we are going next week to WS.  The weather looks to be in highs in the mid 70's and lows in the upper 50's low 60's, my question is does being by the lake make it feel colder?  I might ditch shorts all together if so and just bring pants and a light pullover.  

Also, on the Baths what tees did yall play?  I think playing the back tees might take some of the fun out of a casual par 3 course. 

I didn't really notice it being any cooler from being lakeside, but then again the 30-35mph winds made it impossible to really tell what was going on. I wore pants for the WS and Erin Hills because I like to protect my legs when walking esp. those courses with the thicker grass. It was humid for sure but the pants didn't make it feel bad at all. At the Baths we played the tees pretty much all the way back except on hole 7 because the wind was so damn strong. From where we teed it up, it was only 160 yards coming into us and a bit from the left (there is water all up the right side) and even from 160 to a back pin, my 5i barely made the green. But it was so much fun, crazy slopey greens. You will love it!

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

12 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

I didn't really notice it being any cooler from being lakeside, but then again the 30-35mph winds made it impossible to really tell what was going on. I wore pants for the WS and Erin Hills because I like to protect my legs when walking esp. those courses with the thicker grass. It was humid for sure but the pants didn't make it feel bad at all. At the Baths we played the tees pretty much all the way back except on hole 7 because the wind was so damn strong. From where we teed it up, it was only 160 yards coming into us and a bit from the left (there is water all up the right side) and even from 160 to a back pin, my 5i barely made the green. But it was so much fun, crazy slopey greens. You will love it!

When did y’all tee off at the Straits to barely finish?  We have a 3:10 and 3:20 times next week for our 2nd round on the course.  

11 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

When did y’all tee off at the Straits to barely finish?  We have a 3:10 and 3:20 times next week for our 2nd round on the course.  

2:50 and 3. You might be pushing it to finish depending on pace of play. My group teed off at the 3 spot and we finished 18 using the lights on our phone on the green. But I think that the wind played a big factor in the overall pace because it was definitely a few groups ahead of us that were causing the backup. 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

On 8/31/2023 at 7:27 AM, cjblake09 said:

Just a suggestion but might want to get those moved up - teeing off now at 3:10 a 4 hour and 20 minute round is basically putting you right on the line of dark, next week it'll be dark.  Rounds at Whistling are generally not quick, even if it's just your group out there.  I would go in assuming 4 and a half hours at minimum there.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 3:39 PM, MountainKing said:

Just a suggestion but might want to get those moved up - teeing off now at 3:10 a 4 hour and 20 minute round is basically putting you right on the line of dark, next week it'll be dark.  Rounds at Whistling are generally not quick, even if it's just your group out there.  I would go in assuming 4 and a half hours at minimum there.

Agreed

On 8/31/2023 at 7:41 AM, Shipwreck said:

2:50 and 3. You might be pushing it to finish depending on pace of play. My group teed off at the 3 spot and we finished 18 using the lights on our phone on the green. But I think that the wind played a big factor in the overall pace because it was definitely a few groups ahead of us that were causing the backup. 

Our group just got back from WS and played all the courses and Straits twice.  As you mentioned we did not finish our 2nd round at Straits but we wanted to play it again over maybe finishing at the River course teeing off a little earlier.  We had perfect weather and winds of 5-8 MPH and it was an awesome walk on Saturday afternoon.  We also had Wes with us all week along with Zach and they both were great.  

I knew what i was expecting with the Straits but the River and Meadow were so great as well and a totally different experience.  Those greens were so fast and so many undulations it was crazy.  They said those greens were around a 12 and Straits maybe a 10 bc of the wind they can't get them much faster.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

River

9 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Those greens were so fast and so many undulations it was crazy. 

#10 is quite the green complex.  In late fall when they switch over to the original 18 @ Blackwolf, you get to play that hole (#1 in its routing) from down below (as you get to the green when playing MV look down the bluff/ridge to your left to the fairway and tee box, fairly straight forward tee shot to a severely uphill approach to that green!  Good fun🙃.   The routing then follows the back at MV.  One of my favorite holes and 9's to play in all of golf!

50 minutes ago, ode said:

#10 is quite the green complex.  In late fall when they switch over to the original 18 @ Blackwolf, you get to play that hole (#1 in its routing) from down below (as you get to the green when playing MV look down the bluff/ridge to your left to the fairway and tee box, fairly straight forward tee shot to a severely uphill approach to that green!  Good fun🙃.   The routing then follows the back at MV.  One of my favorite holes and 9's to play in all of golf!

Yep it got me as well and I 3 putted it.  I did see the other routing and that does look interesting and fun for sure.   Not sure the original 18 but if they can put numbers 4-13 from the River and the the back 9 of the Meadow that would be a course!

• Like 1

I believe the original routing consists of 1-4 and 14-18 of the River and then 10-18 of MV.    This is another course I need to get out and play sometime.   My dad took me and some friends to play here in the very early 90s when we were in high school and were blown away by the whole experience.   I've stopped in to buy merch but haven't been back to golf in 30 years. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

When do they begin to have the Original 18 for BWR? What part of the fall? I am going out in early October.

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

On 9/11/2023 at 5:42 AM, ode said:

When do they begin to have the Original 18 for BWR? What part of the fall? I am going out in early October.

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 8:06 AM, cjblake09 said:

There are no tee boxes on the baths. Play where you want!