2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Handicapping question

Robert L.

I've been studying golf handicapping lately, with an eye towards getting an official USGA handicap next year. A YouTube video I recently watched showed how handicaps are calculated, and from my own calculations I'm a 20 handicap. Now according to handicapping procedures I get a stroke on every hole, with the exception of the #1 and #2 handicap holes, where I would get two strokes each. My question is what happens if I should par or better a hole? Is that extra handicap stroke nullified, or can I carry it to another hole?

21 minutes ago, Robert L. said:

I've been studying golf handicapping lately, with an eye towards getting an official USGA handicap next year. A YouTube video I recently watched showed how handicaps are calculated, and from my own calculations I'm a 20 handicap. Now according to handicapping procedures I get a stroke on every hole, with the exception of the #1 and #2 handicap holes, where I would get two strokes each. My question is what happens if I should par or better a hole? Is that extra handicap stroke nullified, or can I carry it to another hole?

No, it's as simple as it looks.

On the #1 and #2 handicap holes your net score is 2 less than your actual (gross) score.

On the other 16 holes your net score is 1 less than your actual (gross) score.

That's it. You subtract the handicap stroke exactly the same no matter what your gross score was. Par or better is nothing to do with it.

Making Par with two handicap strokes is net Eagle.

Making Birdie with two handicap strokes is net Double-Eagle.

Making Quadruple-Bogey with two handicap strokes is net Double-Bogey.

P.S. When I had been playing golf just a year or two my handicap was around 30. I once holed out for a Birdie with my 8-iron on the #1 handicap hole. One of the near-scratch golfers in my group said, "Nice net Eagle" and I was like, "Actually, net Double-Eagle since we're keeping count". 😎

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 4

If you play in stroke play events gross/net it's a lot simpler. You're only concerned with your total course handicap as explained above, at the end of the round your course handicap is subtracted from the gross score for a net score. In a club tournament they often list your course handicap on the scorecard, in any case you just report your gross score and the official scorer will calculate the net.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert L. said:

I am guessing you have calculated what is called your Handicap Index (of 20) which is usually expressed as a decimal figure.

Handicap Index
The measure of a player’s demonstrated ability calculated against the Slope Rating
of a golf course of standard playing difficulty (that is, a course with a Slope Rating
of 113) (see Rule 5.2).

When you play you will have a Course Handicap related to that specific course and set of tees

Course Handicap
The number of handicap strokes a player receives, before handicap allowances,
from a specific set of tees as determined by the Slope Rating and the difference
between Course Rating and par (see Rule 6.1).

The Course Handicap calculation converts a Handicap Index to the number of
strokes a player requires to play any golf course with a Course Rating and
Slope Rating. This allows portability of a player’s Handicap Index wherever
they play. The Playing Handicap calculation enables equity amongst players of
all handicap levels within different formats of the game. A Playing Handicap is
calculated by applying the appropriate handicap allowance to a player’s
Course Handicap. For formats of play where a handicap allowance of 100% is
adopted, the Playing Handicap will be the same as the Course Handicap.
Course Handicap - For handicap purposes, a Course Handicap is used to
determine the number of strokes that a player receives (or gives) on any golf
course and for the correct application of net par and net double bogey
adjustments.
Playing Handicap - For equity purposes, the Playing Handicap calculation
determines the number of strokes each player gives or receives, to ensure
that all players can enjoy a fair and equal game when playing with or
competing against one another.

Playing Handicap
The Course Handicap adjusted for any handicap allowances or Terms of the
Competition. It represents the actual number of strokes the player gives or
receives for the round being played (see Rule 6.2).

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

https://wpga.org/hdp/whs/Rules of Handicapping_USGA_Final.pdf

Edited by Newby
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Robert L. said:

There's a great deal of potentially confusing information above.  Put simply;

• In regular stroke play (also called medal play) where  your total score for the round counts, your course handicap is deducted from your total gross score. Par is irrelevant.
  • In stableford, your handicap strokes are deducted from your gross score for a hole according to the Stroke Index.  if your course handicap is 5, for instance,  you get a stroke at each of  holes 1 to 5 on the stroke index.  Par is relevant because  of the points system of the format.  If you get no points at a hole despite a handicap stroke, the stroke is lost - no carry over to another hole.
  • In matchplay, handicap  strokes are received according to the Stroke Index as in stableford.  If you lose a hole despite having a handicap stroke on it, there's no carry over of the stroke to another hole.  Par is irrelevant.
  • Like 2

To further belabor the point, here's the procedures most people I know have generally used to track their (net) scores during a round.

Determined your Course Handicap for the course and tees you're playing. Or if the group you're playing with specifies you are to use a Playing Handicap (usually less than your Course Handicap) use that instead. 

Before you tee off, go through and "dot the scorecard" by placing one or two dots next to the "Stroke Index" number you, corresponding to how many strokes you get on that hole. 

After you play each hole, take your actual gross score for the hole and subtract the number of dots you placed next to that hole's Stroke Index. That's what you write on the card.

Then add 'em up after the round and you have your net score. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Colin L said:

In matchplay, handicap  strokes are received according to the Stroke Index as in stableford.

For the benefit of the OP, in match play strokes are allocated based on the difference between the course handicaps of the 2 players . If one player is a 3 CH and the other is a 10 CH, the 10 handicap player gets 7 strokes from the 3 handicap player, on holes 1-7 of the stroke index assignment.  In a 4 ball the lowest CH goes to zero and the other 3 players get their strokes by deducting the lowest CH from their CH.  

In some match play competitions a percentage of the course handicaps is used, e.g. 80%, and then the difference is calculated.  So in the example using 80% the 3 becomes 2.4, rounded to 2, the 10 becomes 8, so the difference is 6 strokes.  

Just put the number of strokes you actual played on the hole into GHIN (or whatever software you use). If you picked up enter 'Did not Finish' (or whatever code the system requires).

The system will take care of everything else and tell you what your new Handicap Index is.

Edited by Newby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newby said:

Just put the number of strokes you actual played on the hole into GHIN (or whatever software you use). If you picked up enter 'Did not Finish' (or whatever code the system requires).

The system will take care of everything else and tell you what your new Handicap Index is.

Pretty sure the OP does not have a GHIN account. He's pondering subscribing next year.

I took that to mean he's doing manual handicap calculations with a spreadsheet or maybe some sort of app or web site, giving an approximate index.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Robert L. said:

I've been studying golf handicapping lately, with an eye towards getting an official USGA handicap next year.

A YouTube video I recently watched showed how handicaps are calculated, and from my own calculations I'm a 20 handicap.

Now according to handicapping procedures I get a stroke on every hole, with the exception of the #1 and #2 handicap holes, where I would get two strokes each.

My question is what happens if I should par or better a hole? Is that extra handicap stroke nullified, or can I carry it to another hole?

Strokes allocated apply to ONLY that hole. No "carryovers".

Par, bogey, birdie, etc. is irrelevant.

Whether you get 1 or 2 strokes on that hole; the calc is simple.

e.g. you get 1 stroke and make 6, your net is 5.

If you got 2 strokes on that hole your net is 4. Full stop. 👍

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

10 hours ago, North Butte said:

Pretty sure the OP does not have a GHIN account. He's pondering subscribing next year.

I took that to mean he's doing manual handicap calculations with a spreadsheet or maybe some sort of app or web site, giving an approximate index.

You read my original post correctly. I don't have a GHIN account or an official handicap. I used the formula provided in this video to arrive at my approximate handicap.

18 hours ago, North Butte said:

To further belabor the point, here's the procedures most people I know have generally used to track their (net) scores during a round.

Determined your Course Handicap for the course and tees you're playing. Or if the group you're playing with specifies you are to use a Playing Handicap (usually less than your Course Handicap) use that instead. 

Before you tee off, go through and "dot the scorecard" by placing one or two dots next to the "Stroke Index" number you, corresponding to how many strokes you get on that hole. 

After you play each hole, take your actual gross score for the hole and subtract the number of dots you placed next to that hole's Stroke Index. That's what you write on the card.

Then add 'em up after the round and you have your net score. 

@Robert L.

If you did that, you would indeed have your net score, but it has to be pointed out that that is not what you are required to do by the Rules and consequently not what you do in a competition or in returning a score for handicapping.   You record your gross score  for each hole, that's all.  All further calculations are done by the Committee running the competition or, for handicapping, by the handicapping authority.   See Rule 3.3b:

https://www.randa.org/rog/the-rules-of-golf/rule-3#3_3b

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Colin L said:

@Robert L.

If you did that, you would indeed have your net score, but it has to be pointed out that that is not what you are required to do by the Rules and consequently not what you do in a competition or in returning a score for handicapping.   You record your gross score  for each hole, that's all.  All further calculations are done by the Committee running the competition or, for handicapping, by the handicapping authority.   See Rule 3.3b:

https://www.randa.org/rog/the-rules-of-golf/rule-3#3_3b

Not 1% of the rounds played in USA are in tournaments with a Committee. And the OP does not have a handicap issued by any authority. I was describing the normative behavior among golfers I've played with over the past three decades in everyday rounds. I've probably played in around two dozen rounds with a "Committee" in that entire time, out of thousands of rounds total.

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

The OP was looking for information about handicaps and is seeking a WHS handicap.  To get one he will have to return 54 holes worth of scores, each of them with a record of his gross scores.    The "normative behaviour" you described will not do that.   In his situation of seeking a handicap, it's misleading.

You're not  saying that in all the thousands of rounds you have submitted for handicapping, you have put in net scores, are you  ?

In any case, how could he record net scores when he doesn't have a handicap?  🤔

Edited by Colin L
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Colin L said:

The OP was looking for information about handicaps and is seeking a WHS handicap.  To get one he will have to return 54 holes worth of scores, each of them with a record of his gross scores.    The "normative behaviour" you described will not do that.   In his situation of seeking a handicap, it's misleading.

You're not  saying that in all the thousands of rounds you have submitted for handicapping, you have put in net scores, are you  ?

This was a long time ago and specific to the club that I had joined....

When I retired (I had not played golf in the previous 25'ish years) I approached the club folks about a handicap. We had a conversation about my golf background (extensive when I was young) and what I had been doing recently which was practicing at a range near where I worked either during lunch or after work. He gave me a local handicap (IIRC, if was notated as an "L" handicap - back in 2003, BTW). This allowed me to participate in the club Men's Golf Association events.

I played 3x per week and posted my scores accordingly (ESC adjusted gross scores only). I honestly do not recall how this transition to a 'not L' handicap happened, but I never submitted anything other than gross ESC adjusted scores or for the weekly MGA scores it was our competition scorecard. In this case the 'team leader' posted all scores (gross ESC adjusted scores) for the foursome and winning teams were subject to audit by the Committee (not exactly by the rules but that is how they did it).  These days it is all automated with Golf Genius. 

dave

1 hour ago, Colin L said:

Go back and read OP's question. 

He did not ask how to post or about how to get an official handicap. He has done his own calculation and want to know how to apply strokes on each hole.

He specifically asked how strokes from a handicap were allocated when there is more than one stroke on a hole. That is the question I tried to answer, by describing how everyone I play golf with allocates handicap strokes hole by hole and keeps their net scores. 

But by all means carry on in telling him what question he should have asked instead, I'm sure that's much more helpful than providing the information he actually requested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

Go back and read OP's question. 

He did not ask how to post or about how to get an official handicap. He has done his own calculation and want to know how to apply strokes on each hole.

He specifically asked how strokes from a handicap were allocated when there is more than one stroke on a hole. That is the question I tried to answer, by describing how everyone I play golf with allocates handicap strokes hole by hole and keeps their net scores. 

But by all means carry on in telling him what question he should have asked instead, I'm sure that's much more helpful than providing the information he actually requested. 

Of course you explained about deducting strokes according to the stroke index as asked  but the OP put that in the context of  seeking a WHS handicap.  You and your fellow players are welcome to deduct handicap strokes at particular holes and calculate your net scores at each if you wish a  but it is totally unnecessary in regular stroke play where the course handicap is deducted from the total score, and that is the basis on which the WHS handicap is calculated.  I was concerned that the OP could be misled regarding the acquisition and maintenance of his WHS handicap.  

The one thing I don't get is why Robert hasn't just gone out, played, submitted his scores and acquired his WHS handicap.  It's so easy, is it not?

Edited by Colin L

55 minutes ago, Colin L said:

Of course you explained about deducting strokes according to the stroke index as asked  but the OP put that in the context of  seeking a WHS handicap.  You and your fellow players are welcome to deduct handicap strokes at particular holes and calculate your net scores at each if you wish a  but it is totally unnecessary in regular stroke play where the course handicap is deducted from the total score, and that is the basis on which the WHS handicap is calculated.  I was concerned that the OP could be misled regarding the acquisition and maintenance of his WHS handicap.  

The one thing I don't get is why Robert hasn't just gone out, played, submitted his scores and acquired his WHS handicap.  It's so easy, is it not?

If he's not a member of a local club, its a bit harder to get the account setup. Some places will charge a fee to just get the handicap account setup as it does cost the club money to do so.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

On 9/21/2023 at 11:32 AM, SNIPERBBB said:

If he's not a member of a local club, its a bit harder to get the account setup. Some places will charge a fee to just get the handicap account setup as it does cost the club money to do so.

Public courses in the US generally don't have "memberships". Some do, but all they entitle you to is slightly discounted green's fees and possibly better tee times (or the ability to book tee times out farther).

All he has to do is go to his nearest golf course that is part of his state golf association, pay his 40 bucks or so, and he's signed up.

Edited by larrybud
  • Like 1

They usually at least have clubs for handicap purposes

2 hours ago, larrybud said:

Public courses in the US generally don't have "memberships". Some do, but all they entitle you do is slightly discounted green's fees and possibly better tee times (or the ability to book tee times out farther).

All he has to do is go to his nearest golf course that is part of his state golf association, pay his 40 bucks or so, and he's si

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind