2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist 620MB vs. Mizuno MP221

tgoodspe1991

620 - smaller, 1 degree weaker in loft.  Ballspeed a little lower, spin a little higher.  About 1/2 club shorter for me in the short irons (145-150 9 iron).  Great through turf.  About as penalizing as it gets on a toe miss.  Long irons are intimidating.

221 - forgiving for a blade.  Flights lower.  Good turf interaction ( more bounce and camber than mizzys of past). Sneaky good ball speed retention.  150-155 9 iron.  Long irons less intimidating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

620 - smaller, 1 degree weaker in loft.  Ballspeed a little lower, spin a little higher.  About 1/2 club shorter for me in the short irons (145-150 9 iron).  Great through turf.  About as penalizing as it gets on a toe miss.  Long irons are intimidating.

221 - forgiving for a blade.  Flights lower.  Good turf interaction ( more bounce and camber than mizzys of past). Sneaky good ball speed retention.  150-155 9 iron.  Long irons less intimidating.

How much lower in the MP221? Does it make long irons tough to play? I’m going 3-9 in whatever set I get, adding a PW if I go 221 (I hate the loft stamped on the 620 PW…). I’m usually a very high ball hitter though and anything that’s not an MB or single piece CB tends to go to the moon for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reds said:

I play nothing but Mizuno irons however the 620s look perfect. So clean and absolutely beautiful. Just thought Id throw that out there.

Do the 221’s look a lot worse in your opinion, or just stating that the 620’s look great?

• Like 1

Short irons look better in the 620 to me. Sharper lines, never been a huge fan of mizzy short iron shapes 

• Like 4

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

11 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

How much lower in the MP221? Does it make long irons tough to play? I’m going 3-9 in whatever set I get, adding a PW if I go 221 (I hate the loft stamped on the 620 PW…). I’m usually a very high ball hitter though and anything that’s not an MB or single piece CB tends to go to the moon for me.

Probably not that much lower.  Maybe 10-20 feet.  The 221s keep me under 120 ft apex 7-9 which is all I look for in flight management.  

I’m similar that clubs like the t100s, king tour, etc all spin and fly to high for me.  (High dynamic loft and speed player) 

• Like 1

Came from the MP-68s which I played for 10 years.  Hit the 221s and really didn't like them.  They look fatter on the top and longer.  The 620MBs don't feel as "pure" as my 68's but they feel better than the 221s and they look better than either of those clubs.  I when I mean don't feel as pure, the 68's just felt a little more dense. But not by a lot.  If I'd never hit the 68's, I would have ever known.

I hit the Taylor Mades, the Apex MBs, T series, Mizunos and the only thing that came close to the 620MBs were the Cobra MBs.  Those were amazing.  I just couldn't get behind changing brands that far.  Pure personal choice.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

I've never played the 620s, but I want to add that while the 221s might be lower spin on a monitor, on the course I never have a problem stopping the 221s. I play the 221s up the 6 iron, they're all drop-and-stop. Usually the pitch mark is within inches of the ball when I get to the green.

Edited by picardyThird
  • Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I'm bagging 20 year old mizuno mp67 blades with DG X7 shafts.  I hit a bunch of blades recently and I believe these were pretty close to what I saw for 7 irons but with x100 in everything else.  Ball was a left dash.

Mp67 - 138mph, 7500 rpm

221 - 141 mph, 6800 rpm

620 - 137mph, 7300 rpm

Also hit the TW blades and hated them, og z forged and liked them, and muira mb101 and thought they were identical to the 620.

221 was the longest for me, but not sure I want to stick with blades.  Also hit the t150 and was seeing identical landing angles and peak heights but with another 7mph of ball speed.  Going to be tough ignoring tech much longer.

8 hours ago, Bdck said:

I'm bagging 20 year old mizuno mp67 blades with DG X7 shafts.  I hit a bunch of blades recently and I believe these were pretty close to what I saw for 7 irons but with x100 in everything else.  Ball was a left dash.

Mp67 - 138mph, 7500 rpm

221 - 141 mph, 6800 rpm

620 - 137mph, 7300 rpm

Also hit the TW blades and hated them, og z forged and liked them, and muira mb101 and thought they were identical to the 620.

221 was the longest for me, but not sure I want to stick with blades.  Also hit the t150 and was seeing identical landing angles and peak heights but with another 7mph of ball speed.  Going to be tough ignoring tech much longer.

So with 150 you were getting 148 ball speed with a 7i? I’d stick to blades with that speed. You need to control distance not add haha. 

8 hours ago, Bdck said:

Mp67 - 138mph, 7500 rpm

221 - 141 mph, 6800 rpm

620 - 137mph, 7300 rpm

This was pretty much my experience minus about 8 miles per hour ball speed.  

• 2 weeks later...

IMO the 221 is a much softer feeling iron compared to the 620. It's not like the 620 feels bad but if you're comparing it to the 221 its rlly not great. Both are just blades at the end of the day in terms of forgiveness, some other people have listed some of the specific differences they've felt so I wont go on about those. I personally have the 620mb in the bag currently because I like how they flow into the CBs in the long irons compared to a set of 221 and 223s. If you're looking to game a full set of blades it's hard to go wrong with the 221s, but it is a bit hard to combine with mizuno's other offerings.  

On 9/30/2023 at 2:15 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

This is pretty much dead on.  

620s definitely feel firmer than the 221s.  I switched from Mizuno when they stopped making the MP 33, but have hit all their offerings.  In Mizzy my setup was always DG X100 to get the same stock flight, spin, and covers with Titleist I have lofts turned up 1 degree and put hard stepped C-Taper S+ in them.  

To me the 620 bottom end looks better at address.  With the Mizzy I would put the 3 and 4 irons in the bag, but there is no way I'm putting a 620MB 3 and 4 in the bag.  With-that-said, the 620 CB have the exact specs as the MB and blend flawlessly. If you decide to go T100 at the top they look a lot like the MB at address with a little more blade length.  If you play the MB with strong lofts stock T100 gaps perfectly. If you want to blend Mizuno there is a lot more thought and experimentation involved.  I almost switched to the 221s this year, but to blend the 223 at the 4 I would basically play 2 5 irons as I would have to weaken the 223s enough to alter offset and bounce more than I would want to.

A little bit of experience with copper/grainflo Mizuno MP221 and a lot of having played one-piece 1025 carbon steel 620MB 3i-PW from introduction to earlier this year.  Earlier this year I switched to T100S but wasn't pleased, too much spin, so switched back to 620 till August when my T100 ordered arrived.

Neither blade should be in the hands of a mid-high cap, regardless of the slightly stronger lofts in MP221, which are comparable to my T100.  Neither blade is forgiving when it comes to toe or heel strikes, the user will be told of his mistake.  One notable difference 620MB have progressive blade length, still compact, which blend really well with 620CB, another iron other set. 

With all irons, my take-away is a bit inside, back inside to out though impact, focusing on hitting the ball more between center and the heel, that gets me the sweet spot.  I suppose I am somewhat bias when it comes to 620 series, they are as good as they get.  The other difference though Mizuno is known for grainflo creating a feel that is unique, the sole of 620 is superior. 

Regardless of choice, both these clubs require the user to spend time on the range, making whoopee, so their specific qualities will be felt up close.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

10 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

both these clubs require the user to spend time on the range, making whoopee,

Well said.  I'll add this, the level of whoopee needed is far more than 99% of golfers are willing to give.  If you want to play the 3 iron effectively it takes more than range whoopee, there has to be god given talent to guide that whoopee.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ProV1Killa said:

Well said.  I'll add this, the level of whoopee needed is far more than 99% of golfers are willing to give.  If you want to play the 3 iron effectively it takes more than range whoopee, there has to be god given talent to guide that whoopee.

Yep, most people don't have the discipline for either of those blades, much less respective 3 & 4 irons. 

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

25 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Regardless of choice, both these clubs require the user to spend time on the range, making whoopee, so their specific qualities will be felt up close.

This is the best quote I’ve ever read on these forums.  Well done, sir.

Also very true.

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, tgoodspe1991 said:

How much lower in the MP221? Does it make long irons tough to play?

Difference is negligible.  If you have the clubhead speed and the ability to strike the ball cleanly with compression to get enough spin they are both playable.  If you don't strike the ball out of the middle and swing a 3 iron around 100+ MPH neither will be playable.  No help getting the ball in the air with either it all comes down to speed and spin. 

A good measure of being able to play the 3 and 4 in either is if all your irons have the same peak height.  If you are striking the ball well with proper spin loft the apex of the 5 should be the same as the 9.  The only difference is how far away from you it reaches the apex.

The 620MB scared me in a fitting. It’s a beautiful club I love looking at until I actually look at it at address. Intimidating and demanding as a low-mid single digit. Three swings and handed it back to the fitter. Numbers? No idea because I definitely couldn’t confidently play them. 

I could totally play the 221, at least in the short and mid irons. 

As far as I’m concerned they’re on opposite ends of the blade spectrum. 

For reference I play the 0211ST g-7 and love them. They’re far more similar (in terms of playability) to the 221 than to the 620MB.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bnperrone said:

The 620MB scared me in a fitting. It’s a beautiful club I love looking at until I actually look at it at address. Intimidating and demanding as a low-mid single digit. Three swings and handed it back to the fitter. Numbers? No idea because I definitely couldn’t confidently play them. 

I could totally play the 221, at least in the short and mid irons. 

As far as I’m concerned they’re on opposite ends of the blade spectrum

For reference I play the 0211ST g-7 and love them. They’re far more similar (in terms of playability) to the 221 than to the 620MB.

Agree.  All blades are NOT created equal.  Some visually instill confidence, others like 620MB, not so much.

Numerous OEM's offer what I refer to as blade like; designed to appear as blades, but hollow insides suggest CBs.  I put my T100 irons in the blade like category, a blade like appearance and specs, but some hidden forgiveness.

Your 0211ST are nice-looking irons!

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agree.  All blades are NOT created equal.  Some visually instill confidence, others like 620MB, not so much.

Numerous OEM's offer what I refer to as blade like; designed to appear as blades, but hollow insides suggest CBs.  I put my T100 irons in the blade like category, a blade like appearance and specs, but some hidden forgiveness.

Your 0211ST are nice-looking irons!

And they were cheap! As it turns out I love the stock Elevates. Total GolfWRX sacrilege. I Swapped out the long irons but other than that I’m not going anywhere. I’ve tried some other stuff and I don’t like it better so I’ve finally put it out of my mind. 

• Haha 1