2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Looking to upgrade from '19 T100 irons, am I chasing something that's not there? (i230, P770, T150, others?)

Sep

All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I have a bunch of shop credit I need to use by year's end, and I am weighing my options.  Most of my bag is four seasons old.  I float around the 4-point-something index.  Have gotten as low as a 3.  

• 4-something Index
  • 8 iron = 155 club
  • Currently playing 4-PW set, DG AMT White shafts
  • Have a Mavrik Pro 3 Hybrid, but would love to game a 3 Iron if forgiving enough.
  • Looking for something that is player friendly, great distance control, but more forgiving in higher irons.

I generally have no complaints with my T100 irons from 7-PW.  Distance control is damned near perfect, and it's almost always "drop and stop."  Thinking more about it, maybe a one-hopper on the 7 iron.   I'm not the best shot shaper, but I like to work it occassionally.  I tend to just aim straight and swing. 

However, looking back on my game this year, the longer irons (4-6) just haven't been "dialed."  IDK if it's lacking confidence with them or what.  I have a tendency to toe strike or thin them.  It also seems like even when flushed, I don't quite have the distance I need.  If I have a 190 required carry, I am hesitantly reaching for my 4 iron.  Sometimes pulling the 3H and choking down.  For reference, I hit my Driver about 290 and my 8 iron is my 155 club.   It's frustrating because I have the game to play at 6800-7000 yards, but inevitably have to hit the 4-6 irons multiple times a round, particularly on par 3s.  They also tend to roll out on me when hitting the green.

So, WRXers - I am looking for a club that fits the profile of a players set 7-PW, but forgiveness 4-6.  If it's forgiving enough, I'd love to even try a 3 iron in the set. 

PING

I had a set of PING's (S56) that I loved, and one's that I didn't care for (iBlade) - but that could have been a shaft issue.  Familiar with, and don't mind PING's distinct feel.  Also like how they wear over the years.  

TITLEIST

I have gamed the T100 irons for 4 seasons now.  Played the 704.CB in high school.  As crispy as advertised when struck well.  Really like the feel.

TAYLORMADE

Never have given TaylorMade a chance, but it could be because of my bias against their ridiculous names and gimmicks when I was younger (RocketBallz, Ghost Putters, all the white woods, "SpeedBlade" that wasn't even a blade, I could go on).  Have heard great things about P770 line.

MIZUNO, SRIXON, WILSON?, OTHERS... 

I don't even know where to start with these.  Mizuno fans are the first ones to tell you how great their irons are.  Have heard Srixon's are great sticks.  

Thanks in advance.  I really don't know which way to go.

Edited by Sep

Upgrade or change?   The fit is everything as long as you like the design.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

It honestly sounds like you would benefit with a T150 style iron, especially if you are looking for more distance and forgiveness. 290 Driver and a 155 8 iron is a large gap that is not explained from a lack of speed it seems like. 

• Like 1

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Maybe a little off what you want to do, but consider this.  You are happy with your scoring irons, so why not keep them and substitute the longer irons with more game improvement designs?

For example, consider the Maltby TS4 from Golfworks.  Then lofts fit right in with your set.  You could have them build you one club with your choice of shaft/grip to your specs and they charge nothing in the custom shop to assemble.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts4-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0348/

40 minutes ago, Sep said:

I guess change.  Yeah, I'm looking for a new set of irons.

If you want that new club smell, then test widely, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

If it's just a lack of confidence in your current set's 4-6 iron, and maybe wanting to try a 3-iron too, and---this is the important part---you already like your T100 in 7-P:  Why not simply try the T150 or T200 in 4-6?  Plus see how a U505 at 18-20° or so treats you?

Titleist does in-person fittings all over the place.  $100, but refunded if you buy a club from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cellis said:

It honestly sounds like you would benefit with a T150 style iron, especially if you are looking for more distance and forgiveness. 290 Driver and a 155 8 iron is a large gap that is not explained from a lack of speed it seems like. 

Yeah I’m right around 108 with driver and 87 with 7i

19 minutes ago, Sep said:

Yeah I’m right around 108 with driver and 87 with 7i

We are pretty much the same speeds in both so I definitely understand. I would definitely look at stronger lofted irons and potentially a shaft change if you decide to go a different direction in irons. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

47 minutes ago, Sep said:

Anyone care to chime in with i230 experience? I’m going to try and hit them on turf before season is over here up north 

I think i230 are great. Here is my take on your situation... I think you need to decide on sole size and feel. Maybe it's just me, but most irons today are consistent and have great distance control(in the players category). With shaft and loft changes, you can pretty much get anything you're looking for out of performance. I see so many people on here say "OMG, I hit the i230 6 yards shorter than my t100! I could never game them!" So bend the loft 1 degree and now they are the same. It sounds like you enjoy players irons up to 7 iron. Have you looked into combo sets?? I'd look at srixon zx7/zx5, full i230, t100/150, apex pro/apex, apex CB/apex pro, Wilson CB, mizuno 243/245, PXG CB/T, taylormade 790 or 770, or even 7mc. You have so many great options. I've hit almost every iron and they are all such amazing irons in their own ways. Don't let anyone's bias push you a certain way. You should really go hit them all. Everyone will have a different experience than you. If you already know which shaft you fit into, you are ahead of the game. Now it's just finding the head. That's what she said* 

EDIT: and I am not taking away from anyone's opinion.. they are all great to read. I am just saying that everyone will have their opinions based on THEIR experience. Yours may be completely different. So give them all a chance. You'll see so many good opinions out there and realize they all can perform. My .02¢. 

Edited by toastinato
  • Like 1

Build a combo set and never look back.  We are very close in handicap and speed, and one of the best changes I have ever made was deciding to go T200 earlier this year in the 4,5 and 6.  The 5 and 6 are bent 2 weak, the 4 1 weak. 

Over the winter I did a lot of reading to work on my mental game, and although i forget the book it came from something that stuck with me is that long irons are not scoring clubs like we view the 8,9 ect. So why do we treat them the same and use the same head/shaft ect until we get to our hybrids and woods that are completely different? Even on tour some of the best ball strikers in the world are using some form of combo set or lighter shafts in their longer irons to help with height and consistency.

I had the 19' T100's and loved them from 7-PW, but like you never hit the 6,5,4 all that consistent.  I moved to the 21' T100 and while they were a little better in the long irons i still struggled.  The 200's are so much easier to launch and naturally want to curve less than the 100's.  

Edited by tipperi

19 hours ago, Sep said:

All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I have a bunch of shop credit I need to use by year's end, and I am weighing my options.  Most of my bag is four seasons old.  I float around the 4-point-something index.  Have gotten as low as a 3.  

• 4-something Index
  • 8 iron = 155 club
  • Currently playing 4-PW set, DG AMT White shafts
  • Have a Mavrik Pro 3 Hybrid, but would love to game a 3 Iron if forgiving enough.
  • Looking for something that is player friendly, great distance control, but more forgiving in higher irons.

I generally have no complaints with my T100 irons from 7-PW.  Distance control is damned near perfect, and it's almost always "drop and stop."  Thinking more about it, maybe a one-hopper on the 7 iron.   I'm not the best shot shaper, but I like to work it occassionally.  I tend to just aim straight and swing. 

However, looking back on my game this year, the longer irons (4-6) just haven't been "dialed."  IDK if it's lacking confidence with them or what.  I have a tendency to toe strike or thin them.  It also seems like even when flushed, I don't quite have the distance I need.  If I have a 190 required carry, I am hesitantly reaching for my 4 iron.  Sometimes pulling the 3H and choking down.  For reference, I hit my Driver about 290 and my 8 iron is my 155 club.   It's frustrating because I have the game to play at 6800-7000 yards, but inevitably have to hit the 4-6 irons multiple times a round, particularly on par 3s.  They also tend to roll out on me when hitting the green.

So, WRXers - I am looking for a club that fits the profile of a players set 7-PW, but forgiveness 4-6.  If it's forgiving enough, I'd love to even try a 3 iron in the set. 

PING

I had a set of PING's (S56) that I loved, and one's that I didn't care for (iBlade) - but that could have been a shaft issue.  Familiar with, and don't mind PING's distinct feel.  Also like how they wear over the years.  

TITLEIST

I have gamed the T100 irons for 4 seasons now.  Played the 704.CB in high school.  As crispy as advertised when struck well.  Really like the feel.

TAYLORMADE

Never have given TaylorMade a chance, but it could be because of my bias against their ridiculous names and gimmicks when I was younger (RocketBallz, Ghost Putters, all the white woods, "SpeedBlade" that wasn't even a blade, I could go on).  Have heard great things about P770 line.

MIZUNO, SRIXON, WILSON?, OTHERS... 

I don't even know where to start with these.  Mizuno fans are the first ones to tell you how great their irons are.  Have heard Srixon's are great sticks.  

Thanks in advance.  I really don't know which way to go.

I have a set of 2019 T100 and I'm thinking they aren't a good fit for you. I'm about 160 with the 7 iron, 200 with the 4 iron. Driver is 270-275 total FWIW. Better fit probably gets me to 290. So I think speed wise we are comparable. I'm actually moving to the T150's because I'm not getting enough out of my long irons. I'd say you def should consider talking to a fitter and bringing up the idea of a combo set, as your situation seems more extreme. You probably want 15-20 more yards out of your 4 iron, and 12ish yard gaps between the 4,5,6 irons.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 10.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 14* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

TM Spider X Slant

Pxg fitting. 

sounds like ur a perfect candidate for the following:

4-5/6 0311p

6-8/9 0317t

9-Pw 0317cb

gw 0317st

thank me later. Cheaper than u expect by a long shot. 

Fittings are 25 bucks right now. Seriously give it a whirl. 

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)