2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Short England Trip

ESOX ZO

Looking into a short maybe 5-7 day trip to London to try and get tickets to an Arsenal game with my wife next year around early April. Would like to get two rounds of golf in and curious what courses would be the best to look into? Also, if anyone has any experience with buying Arsenal tickets that would be a plus. 

6 hours ago, ESOX ZO said:

Looking into a short maybe 5-7 day trip to London to try and get tickets to an Arsenal game with my wife next year around early April. Would like to get two rounds of golf in and curious what courses would be the best to look into? Also, if anyone has any experience with buying Arsenal tickets that would be a plus. 

Here you go:

https://www.golfmonthly.com/courses/uk-and-ireland/best-golf-courses-in-london

https://www.arsenal.com/how-buy-tickets-overview

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 12/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, hammergolf said:

I would not put much stock in that list. There are are a few good choices, but if I was going to play only 2 rounds near London most on that list wouldn't be in my top 20.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, ESOX ZO said:

If money is no object, I would choose one of the following clubs and play both of their courses:

1. Sunningdale

2. Walton Heath

3. The Berkshire ( can be hard to book as a single)

If you are on a more limited budget (still not cheap though) choose two of these:

Woking

Worplesdon

New Zealand

The Addington 

Edited by sabram
Corect typo

If you only have two games then choose one of

Swinley Forest, Sunningdale Old or St George’s Hill. All three are magnificent Colt courses. 

The other course I would suggest is probably Walton Heath Old because it’s excellent and more like a true heathland course. The above three are really heathland/parkland hybrids.

If you can’t get two games at the above courses try Woking, Worplesdon or New Zealand. 

A few outliers are Pulborough and Addington. Pulborough is a drive, but a magnificent course. Addington is improving leaps and bounds. It may be worthwhile to wait for the work, but it’s superb now.

• Like 1

If your budget is closer to 100 quid per round then the list is ok but if its more like 200 plus then the others like Sunningdale etc are your go.

From the list I have played only The Addington and Old Fold Manor and both are worth playing. 

Of the others mentioned, Sunningdale, Swinley and St Georges Hill would be my choices.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:05 PM, ESOX ZO said:

For Arsenal (or any other Premier League games) ... the safest / most-obtainable way to get tickets = via Hospitality tickets (via the club's official website eg the Link provided recently by @hammergolf).

Avoid the touts / re-sellers ( you should be able to find plenty examples of being scammed/ ripped off, via a google search).

On 12/29/2023 at 4:28 AM, hammergolf said:

Edited by JungleJimbo

Have played Sunningdale Old, Woking and Pulborough. Took the train from Waterloo to Sunningdale, easy ride. The course is right up the hill. Also took the train from central London to the town Woking and took a taxi to the course, no problems there. We took the train from central London to Pulborough and had to pre-arrange taxis. Embarrassingly I had to bum a ride from the bartender back to our hotel (we stayed overnight). I would not go back to Pulborough without a rental car.

The golf at all three courses was great. Pulborough as Gringo stated above was magnificent. It was cool to play Woking especially at the 8th (?) green where you can see much of the course. Sunningdale Old is my favorite course of all. I regret not staying the day and playing Sunningdale New.

Hope you have fun, London is great.

2 hours ago, ESOX ZO said:

Thanks for the suggestions, going to take a peek at all of these and try to pick 2 that are playable for my wife and not too challenging. 

If your wife is short and straight off the tee, Woking, Worplesdon and New Zealand will be fun. They are very intreserting courses. The trick is to stay out of the heather. New Zealand flies under the radar of most vistors from the US. It is a lovely club.

New Zealand Golf Club

New Zealand - Par 3

Woking Golf Club

Woking

Worplesdon Golf Club

Worplesdon

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, ESOX ZO said:

Did this exact thing, but for Chelsea. Actually Chelsea v Arsenal. It was an amazing experience. 

I played Sunningdale Old and New and Swinley Forest. Both places were awesome. You feel like a member, it was a great experience all around. Coursewise, for me it is hard to choose between Old and SF. I think I preferred SF a little more. But the entire property and experience at Sunningdale is hard to beat. I ubered back and forth from West London and it wasn't too terribly expensive, I believe $60ish. 

For tickets, that is a pain in the a**. Need a membership and there is a point system. They don't have stubhub or sites like that, any resale site is illegal that is not an official seller. Here are Arsenals,  - https://www.arsenal.com/news/overseas-agent-ticket-sellers 

I ended up going through hospitality tickets. Basically a guarantee for your tickets, you get some merch and dinner. Really depends on the package. Like at Chelsea you can see their trophies (Premier League, Champions League, etc), museums etc. I guess at Arsenal you can see the dusty cabinet with with a PL trophy from 20+ years ago. Might be cool since it is older history. 

Just messing with you. But the hospitality tickets were a little more expensive, but you just have the peace of mind that you definitely have tickets. My in laws went through a non verified reseller for a different game and it worked out. It seems like there is a decent chance (maybe 10%?) of getting unlucky with those sites. 

Edit, just saw the wife/playable update. Not positive these 2 fall in that category. 

Wherever you play, I highly suggest this trip. I want to go back so bad and do a full like 5+ days of golf and a game. The Heathland golf is unreal. 

Edited by mci711
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mci711 said:

Did this exact thing, but for Chelsea. Actually Chelsea v Arsenal. It was an amazing experience. 

I played Sunningdale Old and New and Swinley Forest. Both places were awesome. You feel like a member, it was a great experience all around. Coursewise, for me it is hard to choose between Old and SF. I think I preferred SF a little more. But the entire property and experience at Sunningdale is hard to beat. I ubered back and forth from West London and it wasn't too terribly expensive, I believe $60ish. 

For tickets, that is a pain in the a**. Need a membership and there is a point system. They don't have stubhub or sites like that, any resale site is illegal that is not an official seller. Here are Arsenals,  - https://www.arsenal.com/news/overseas-agent-ticket-sellers 

I ended up going through hospitality tickets. Basically a guarantee for your tickets, you get some merch and dinner. Really depends on the package. Like at Chelsea you can see their trophies (Premier League, Champions League, etc), museums etc. I guess at Arsenal you can see the dusty cabinet with with a PL trophy from 20+ years ago. Might be cool since it is older history. 

Just messing with you. But the hospitality tickets were a little more expensive, but you just have the peace of mind that you definitely have tickets. My in laws went through a non verified reseller for a different game and it worked out. It seems like there is a decent chance (maybe 10%?) of getting unlucky with those sites. 

Edit, just saw the wife/playable update. Not positive these 2 fall in that category. 

Wherever you play, I highly suggest this trip. I want to go back so bad and do a full like 5+ days of golf and a game. The Heathland golf is unreal. 

Spoken like a true trumped up Jonny come lately “I luv soccer” Chelsea fan.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:07 PM, mci711 said:

It's been a brutal few weeks for my team, but the future is bright. What time of year did you go? 

4 minutes ago, ESOX ZO said:

It's been a brutal few weeks for my team, but the future is bright. What time of year did you go? 

I went this past October. Really lucked out with the weather. There was a massive storm system that lasted a few days and somehow I dodged the rain basically the whole time. 

My in-laws used https://www.livefootballtickets.com/ for their tickets, btw. Not an official reseller as I mentioned, but it worked for them. 

• Like 1