2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade QI10 MAX

jibbs1082

What loft are you playing? Seems to be launching quite low?

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

On 2/17/2024 at 7:44 AM, lbhitter said:

Played Ping G430 Max 10.5 Driver with Tour Chrome Stiff Flex all last year.  Had one of my best driving years ever.  This driver is an absolute fairway finder.  Not the longest out there but very dependable.  My CHS averages about 95mph and I am fairly consistent at hitting up on it about +1 or more AoA.  I was on a LM last year and it spun about ~3000 rpm, and the fitter said that was too much spin.  I didn't want to change anything because I just liked the results.  Gives me a nice mid flight with good roll, in the fairway!

I first purchased a Ping G430 10k with the same shaft to try based on the feedback, believing I would gain a few more yards.  The feedback was higher launch but lower spin.  However, just the opposite happened.  The lower spin caused the 10k to be less forgiving, and I missed several fairways with it.  The driver seemed very inconsistent for me, the opposite of the G430 Max.

Enter the TM Qi10Max.  Thought I would give it a try.  Picked up a 10.5 with a stock Diamana T60 Stiff.  Beautiful driver, sits perfectly square to me and looks far better than my Ping.  I have about 3 rounds with it, and I am really starting to gel with this driver.  It gives me a little higher launch than the G430 Max, more of a mid-high launch, and I am finding it to be ~5-7 yards longer than my Ping.  I play the same course mostly so I know where my ball usually ends up.  The distance isn't what's attractive to me though, its the forgiveness as advertised.  I played with the Qi10Max yesterday and didn't have my best stuff.  I hit two bad drives, one on the toe and one on the bottom of the club and both went dead straight where I was aiming.

My take on the Qi10Max is that it is just as forgiving as the G430Max, with a little higher launch and a touch more distance.  It also has a really good feel to it, ball just sounds and feels solid coming off the face.  Have no idea what the spin numbers are, but it probably spins more and that is probably a good thing for me.  Beautiful driver, solid results.  

I would recommend adding some version of this TM to your 2024 testing.  I don't usually associate forgiveness with TM drivers, but this one is different.  Best of luck with your findings.

As an aside.  I have TM, PXG, Titleist, Cleveland and Callaway in my bag.  Trying to play the stuff that helps me be better.

LB

I had a similar experience as you did. I went back-and-forth between the ping 430 max 10k, PXG black ops also the QI 10 max. PXG and QI 10 max both had Ventus blue Velocore, Ping had the Tour Chrome stiff. I mostly played the same course. I found all three drivers almost interchangeable with the PXG, being slightly longer, and ever so slightly less forgiving. But that’s really splitting hairs. Sold the PXG first then it was down to the TM and PING. I probably would have similar results if I put the Ventus and in the Ping, but that said, with the QI 10 max, I have developed a baby draw, which I can’t seem to replicate on the Ping. Resulting in additional length from 0 yards to 10+ yards. Sold the Ping. Not a big hitter like most of the boys here. :-). But going from 220+ carry to Over 230 carry with a draw/rollout giving me more after carry, has been sweet. Of course it doesn’t hurt when we all work on technique and actually put a ton of work in. I’m trying to stay away from YouTube videos and this site telling me I need another driver :-). hopefully the driver part of the bag is set for a little while. (Wait, look at that new Mizuno, Max that could be a nice ticket.)

Edited by Steelhead

11 hours ago, anth said:

What loft are you playing? Seems to be launching quite low?

10.5 + 2 clicks up

I had that exact same thought yesterday, but am not worried about it at the moment… 

I’m a 12 and perpetually working on my swing. If you look at the prior two times I used this driver, I was launching it like 11 or 12 deg? 

I was not swinging well yesterday, as stated in the post, and rushed to get setup. Low launch was probably an issue of an “off day” or my maybe my MLM 2 pro not being perfectly aligned? Callaway is 10.5 playing 11.5 and was low too.

I didn’t see the mind blowing results I saw during the fitting… but if it really carries 5 yards further, and is 5 yards straighter on my worst days, that really feels like a tool that could save a couple strokes around? 

If I don’t see the launch improve consistently with my lessons and a larger sample size, I’d probably consider a refit to get a different shaft. I think this head is gonna work well for me

Edited by Walkerdb7
  • Thanks 1

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

@anth got to hit again during today. Inside a trackman studio... nothing like the new driver coming in and a lighter week at work...

Anyway, I think the low launch yesterday was a bad swing + fixed mat tee. I got to pick my tee height today and I naturally tee the ball high. I noticed instantly on the first swing. Launch was back up to 11-13 deg. If I get the Trackman report, I will post. Generally speaking was like +4 carry yards longer again today. I actually hit the Callaway touch straighter when I did 10 vs 10 head to head, but that is the first time that has happened in 5 head to head sessions and I am not a scratch player. Variability of the swing comes into play.

Edited by Walkerdb7
  • Thanks 1

I have not seen anything that say Qi10 Max or fairway woods is Draw biased. I don't much care if it is or is not... but does anyone know the answer to this? I am more concerned on the fairway woods.

It was my understanding that Max line was NOT draw biased.

• 1 month later...

Thread has been quiet. After demoing the Paradym AI smoke, the PXG black Ops and the G430 10k, I also tried the QI10 max. The AI One felt and sounded great, but was a little shorter ( I really have lost swing speed and distance in the last few years). Also tended to fade too much for me. The Ping’s face was just too Shallow for me. The Black Ops was quite nice, look, sound, feel. I had the wrong loft. 9 degrees was just too low launching. Got the QI10 in 12 degrees. Played with the loft to open the face, then went back to the standard. Today I hit every fairway but one and was maybe a foot off. Just a nice high slight fade. Very controllable. At that loft, it’s maybe 5 yards off my distance, though today several holes had a stiff breeze in my face. 

• Like 1

I’ve currently got the standard Qi10 and Qi10 MAX, both in 9 degrees. I can’t decide which one I like more. Hitting them very well and once I adjust the hosel I can hit the MAX as far as I can the standard. On some drives it spins a little more but it also launches higher. On some drives that spin is a savior. It feels excellent. It is larger but not huge, but it’s fast. Just a great driver.

There will be times this year I will want a max forgiveness driver, and I’m definitely going with the Qi10 MAX. It’s somewhat difficult to hit wild shots with it, the tech truly does keep errant shots under control. I was going to try both and keep my favorite, but I may very well keep both and rotate them because there are features I like about both heads. Both can deliver the long ball and are much, much more forgiving on mishits than Stealth2. If players of any handicap give the MAX a try, a lot are going to like it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

12 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I’ve currently got the standard Qi10 and Qi10 MAX, both in 9 degrees. I can’t decide which one I like more. Hitting them very well and once I adjust the hosel I can hit the MAX as far as I can the standard. On some drives it spins a little more but it also launches higher. On some drives that spin is a savior. It feels excellent. It is larger but not huge, but it’s fast. Just a great driver.

There will be times this year I will want a max forgiveness driver, and I’m definitely going with the Qi10 MAX. It’s somewhat difficult to hit wild shots with it, the tech truly does keep errant shots under control. I was going to try both and keep my favorite, but I may very well keep both and rotate them because there are features I like about both heads. Both can deliver the long ball and are much, much more forgiving on mishits than Stealth2. If players of any handicap give the MAX a try, a lot are going to like it. 

Yeah, I always wonder what life would be like the Core model. I didn’t hit that much more out of control, but the good ones were a touch longer. I ended up picking the max because it had gains on what I came from and I assumed the technology would help with a larger sample size. Cliche life of a gear junkie. 

I routinely take lessons. I had a break through a few weeks ago and I am getting lots more spin now. The second reason I went with Max is that I am a low swing player through swing flaws. The fact the Max spins a bit more was good for me. My new “miss” is a high spinner that ballons and goes no where, haha, better than OB! This is just adding to my curiosity around re-testing the core. 

2 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Yeah, I always wonder what life would be like the Core model. I didn’t hit that much more out of control, but the good ones were a touch longer. I ended up picking the max because it had gains on what I came from and I assumed the technology would help with a larger sample size. Cliche life of a gear junkie. 

I routinely take lessons. I had a break through a few weeks ago and I am getting lots more spin now. The second reason I went with Max is that I am a low swing player through swing flaws. The fact the Max spins a bit more was good for me. My new “miss” is a high spinner that ballons and goes no where, haha, better than OB! This is just adding to my curiosity around re-testing the core. 

We always want what we don’t have! Worked on my driver swing over the weekend, really, just on tempo and swinging freely. Patience is the best tempo thought for me. I get way more ball speed when I build the speed and don’t rush coming down. 

As for the drivers, the only thing I have definitely noticed is the Max is easy to hit high and keep in play. Still comparing distances. I do see a little less spin with the standard based on rollout I am seeing. TM did a great job on the design of these drivers, whichever one you choose. Fun watching those guys crush it at the Masters. 

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

We always want what we don’t have! Worked on my driver swing over the weekend, really, just on tempo and swinging freely. Patience is the best tempo thought for me. I get way more ball speed when I build the speed and don’t rush coming down. 

As for the drivers, the only thing I have definitely noticed is the Max is easy to hit high and keep in play. Still comparing distances. I do see a little less spin with the standard based on rollout I am seeing. TM did a great job on the design of these drivers, whichever one you choose. Fun watching those guys crush it at the Masters. 

CC messed up my order and sent the 5W core instead of the 5W max. I noticed a big difference with those. The core was easy enough to hit, but it was bullet / stinger city. The Max is like beautiful high shots. It’s definitely the easiest to hit fairway wood I have ever used. Unfortunately, to correct the mistake, they just head swapped my clubs and reused the shaft. I never got to do them side by side for a proper comparison  

34 minutes ago, this_is_golf said:

I found a Max on eBay that has my attention…now deciding to pull the trigger or not…

If it’s a good deal, I would not hesitate if you’re looking for a powerful but very forgiving driver. It’s legit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Anyone compare qi10 max to cobra dark speed max?

Cobra was second place for me during my fitting, but it was the core head. I don’t remember if I hit the Max or not.

that is a very good driver family as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Cobra was second place for me during my fitting, but it was the core head. I don’t remember if I hit the Max or not.

that is a very good driver family as well.

The dark speed max has been good.  Not sure if it will dethrone my g400max but have heard good things about qi10 max so was curious 

Edited by AbSWFPGA