Someone Help Me Build a Gaming PC (or should I just buy)

Mr_Wolfe

Can anyone help my build a gaming PC? First off, I am assuming it is cheaper to build one out yourself. I want to have a very powerful PC that won't be slowed down by GSPro at 4k. I am hoping I can do that for under $1500, but if I can't, I will stretch my budget accordingly.

OR, is it just not worth it to build? Should I just buy on ready to go?

Thanks for any help!

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe

Recommended hardware for a great 4k experience:

20GB free space

RTX 3080 (or better) GPU

32GB memory

https://gsprogolf.com

I’d build my own but wait for the RTX 40-series Super models to all be out by the end of January. You could probably get by with a 4070 Super but a 4070 Ti Super might be worth the extra $. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidia-rtx-40-series-super-models-revealed-4070-super-coming-jan-17-at-dollar599

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Recommended hardware for a great 4k experience:

20GB free space

RTX 3080 (or better) GPU

32GB memory

https://gsprogolf.com

I’d build my own but wait for the RTX 40-series Super models to all be out by the end of January. You could probably get by with a 4070 Super but a 4070 Ti Super might be worth the extra $. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidia-rtx-40-series-super-models-revealed-4070-super-coming-jan-17-at-dollar599

Thank you for the info. Since I am in no rush (need to build the simulator shed first), I probably will hold out for the RTX 4070 Ti Super.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

Not sure how long it is going to take you to build your shed, but this is an item I wouldn’t be buying until you are close to the end.  If it’s going to be toward the end of the year, the early BF deals can save you some money.  I picked up a Lenovo with a 4070 Ti in early November of last year for about $1700.  I priced the components separately, and couldn’t build it cheaper.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheFatArmadillo said:

Not sure how long it is going to take you to build your shed, but this is an item I wouldn’t be buying until you are close to the end.  If it’s going to be toward the end of the year, the early BF deals can save you some money.  I picked up a Lenovo with a 4070 Ti in early November of last year for about $1700.  I priced the components separately, and couldn’t build it cheaper.

I thought about this also. Right now, I think I am going to keep researching and just keeping my eyes open for deals. Does anyone think you will be able to tell the difference between the RTX 4070 Ti Super and RTX 4080? Only $200 difference.

Mr. Wolfe

23 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

I thought about this also. Right now, I think I am going to keep researching and just keeping my eyes open for deals. Does anyone think you will be able to tell the difference between the RTX 4070 Ti Super and RTX 4080? Only $200 difference.

Mr. Wolfe

Hey OP,  I did a budget build thread/post a while back if you dont mind me throwing some random internet stuff out.

I was able to run E6 connect on a  $150 computer, with a Ryzen 3 2200g (intergrated GPU) ,  biggest kicker was 16gb vs 32gp Ram.  It was memory hungry. (choppy on 16gb, but ran no problem on 32gb) This was on some cheap dell desktop ram from my IT guy,I think it was only 2100mhz junk. So not matched or highend 3600mhz stuff.

Prime day I was able to get a new Video card for my gamer and swapped my old GPU RTX2060 in the sim PC and this thing runs with ZERO issues  (on e6).  (Mind you the 2060 is old and only 6gb of ram). Assuming if I ran GSpro wouldnt have too much of an issue at 1080p with decent settings.

Your looking at GSpro on 4k. your biggest drain will be your GPU as you are finding out.  The bigger issues is looking for ram on both side GPU and MOBO.  

Case, CPU, MOBO, PSU can be had on a budget, you dont need the extreme latest and greatest for those. scaling cost a tiny bit here will let you net the better GPU.

Next, Not sure if you are an Nvidia guy only,  but AMD with their larger Memory, which 4k is the hog is something to consider,

the 4070's & 4080's you are looking at at 16gb - being in the $800- $1000 GPU Budget,

AMD On the other hand 

the RX 7900xt is 20gb, for $850 budget

RX 7900xtx is 24gb for $1000 (similar to the 4080) but way more memory. 

As for MOBO memory, current gent MOBO with DDR5 and some matched 32gb + sticks should be a solid choice.

just some usless $0.02 OP, good luck!

• Like 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 1/17/2024 at 1:51 PM, Exactice808 said:

AMD On the other hand 

RX 7900xtx is 24gb for $1000 (similar to the 4080) but way more memory. 

Im going to run GSPro with a 1080 projector. I’ll find some desktop with 32GB of ram. GC2 for the LM. 

Will this card work well?

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 

2 hours ago, EdY said:

Im going to run GSPro with a 1080 projector. I’ll find some desktop with 32GB of ram. GC2 for the LM. 

Will this card work well?

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 

That is what I upgraded too from my RTX 2060, (but its in my gaming system)

With that,

GSpro 1080p recommendations.

image.png.0c3b994fa9fdb0d0a4e7cf8aef5a2edd.png.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/4090vs4109

Benchmark of the 2 cards.  the TI is 5% better by the chart, but if you read its based more on market sentiment rather than actual performance. 

the bigger memory on the AMD likely nets you better over all performance, outside of Raytracing, and I dont see GSpro using raytracing at this point?  I tried to google it but I could be wrong. 

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

You should be able to easily build a nice gaming system for 1500..  If you have Microcenter nearby, it's even better..

Ryzen 7700x, systemboard, 32gig DDR5 memory bundle for $400

Get a case for around $100

Power supply (750  or 850 watt) around $100

2TB  SSD drive around $150

This should give plenty of money left for a very nice Graphics Card.. Like 7800xt

RX7800XT 16Gig  For $500

RX7900xt with 20gig for $710 (coupon on the site)

Edited by 8602081
fixing spelling
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 1:46 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Mr. Wolfe

Coming from experience I would never buy prebuilt PC again. Its cheaper to do it yourself, its not that hard at all and you avoid having a bricked GPU mailed to you 😞

Others might have a better grip on it but from what I've heard people are upset with the 4000 series because there was hardly a increase in performance to justify the cost over the 3000 series. 

Things you also need:

• 32gb RAM is mandatory. I have Corsair Vengeance Pro and it works great. Best $85 upgrade you can possibly make.
  • If your running intensive programs, I would also recommend having a AIO liquid cooler for your CPU. If games/sim programs get too intensive especially for long hours of use, its normally your CPU getting hot as hell. Make sure it can stay cooled off with proper cooling/ventilation. The GPU has built in fans to help, the CPU doesnt so you need to make sure to add some.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 1

These test results might be helpful to understand the different levels of performance.  It’s FSX Play, but probably helpful for order of magnitude between the cards (FSX Play from my understanding is more demanding than GS Pro).

https://surfthing.com/blogs/simulator-software-performance/fsx-play-software-performance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally would not build a computer if you never have before. The savings are pretty minimal, probably 1-200 bucks at most and you can get malfunctioning parts from OEMs just like you can from a company like dell. 

4 series is much more power efficient than 3 series but not a ton better performing. Don’t really think liquid cooling is necessary and is asking for trouble, another thing that can break. Don’t think gs pro or any golf sim software is maxing out the cpu. I certainly would not build a liquid cooled computer if you have never built a computer before. That is like playing with fire. 

Would get a 4070 or 4080 gpu and reasonable modern gen i5 or i7 processor whenever you order , 32 gb ram. It’ll run 4k great. If you are going to play in 1080 then you can go for a cheaper graphics card. Agreed with waiting until you are ready to play as especially gpu prices tend to fall over time as better stuff comes out. 

• Like 1

I am not a gamer and not projecting my Skytrak to an impact screen, I do basic IT stuff at work. I do look a lot of YouTube channels and these guys popped on my home page

Can We Beat The $369 Amazon Gaming PC?!

I am not recommending you look at the cheap gaming PC. It was interesting seeing how they went about their goal. The issue for you will be projecting in 4k, as it appears graphics card hungry vs 1080 (based on other post comments above).

A gaming PC is like everything, the more you want, the more you pay. Enjoy you simulator adventure.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

42 minutes ago, iamthebeard said:

If I dont plan on projecting but just using a TV for my screen (gs pro or fsx) should I be aiming for a 4k or 1080 card? 

Depends on your TV. If the TV is 1080p 60hz. I don't really see a reason to play at 4k. Unless you have a monitor that is 4k or a projector that handles it. The benefits don't seem worth it. I'm running FSX on a machine I built with a i7-9700k, 32GB RAM 3200hz, RTX 3070 at 1440p. Then projecting at around 1080p and it looks fine and runs well for me. Unless you're trying to be on the latest and greatest looking for a used 10th, 11th or 12th gen intel CPU should be enough. I've found some good deals on used RTX 3080 and 3080tis that should get 4k if needed. And for 1080p a 3060 or 3060ti should work. If you go with 30 series card you don't have to worry about any melting issues.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 9:40 AM, NeumannJ said:

Depends on your TV. If the TV is 1080p 60hz. I don't really see a reason to play at 4k. Unless you have a monitor that is 4k or a projector that handles it. The benefits don't seem worth it. I'm running FSX on a machine I built with a i7-9700k, 32GB RAM 3200hz, RTX 3070 at 1440p. Then projecting at around 1080p and it looks fine and runs well for me. Unless you're trying to be on the latest and greatest looking for a used 10th, 11th or 12th gen intel CPU should be enough. I've found some good deals on used RTX 3080 and 3080tis that should get 4k if needed. And for 1080p a 3060 or 3060ti should work. If you go with 30 series card you don't have to worry about any melting issues.

I just built my sim with a computer from Micro Center (so lucky to have one near me in SoCal). They sold an i7 17400 with onboard video card no discreet video card, basically got me what I wanted so I could pick my own video card. Then I got a 3080Ti which still ranks in the top 15 of video cards and is much cheaper than the 4070 or 4080. Only mod I had to make was upgrading my power to 850W min because the 3080Ti is so power-hungry.

Edited by Titleway

Just FYI:

There is hardly any real difference between 4k and 1080p with GSPro unless you have an insanely good projector and a screen that is reflective enough to show the image properly. Also, very few courses in GSPro are even optimized for 4k and the vast majority of courses look exactly the same on 1080p than they would on 4k.

I run 1080p on Ultra settings with an extremely budget computer without any issues at all.

Ryzen 3600x

1070ti 

16gb ram

1TB SSD

Used some old components from friends and that I had lying around and think I spend about $250 total on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Titleway said:

I just built my sim with a computer from Micro Center (so lucky to have one near me in SoCal). They sold an i7 17400 with onboard video card no discreet video card, basically got me what I wanted so I could pick my own video card. Then I got a 3080Ti which still ranks in the top 15 of video cards and is much cheaper than the 4070 or 4080. Only mod I had to make was upgrading my power to 850W min because the 3080Ti is so power-hungry.

How much was the 3080 Ti?

• 4 weeks later...