2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

2024 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

Bonneville85308

Stretching the limits of Phoenix, but I played StoneRidge in Prescott today and spent 4 hours getting my a** beat back and forth across theΒ  course. No one in our group had played there before and it was absolutely brutal, I think at least one person had to re-tee from hitting into the desert on every single hole. Pace of play was rough because the groups in front of us were in the same place. Definitely a very different course and I think I would enjoy it more the second time around but man.... if you can't consistently hit fairways and tight approach shots you just do not have fun there, and it's every single hole.

2 hours ago, Baraethon said:

Stretching the limits of Phoenix, but I played StoneRidge in Prescott today and spent 4 hours getting my a** beat back and forth across theΒ  course. No one in our group had played there before and it was absolutely brutal, I think at least one person had to re-tee from hitting into the desert on every single hole. Pace of play was rough because the groups in front of us were in the same place. Definitely a very different course and I think I would enjoy it more the second time around but man.... if you can't consistently hit fairways and tight approach shots you just do not have fun there, and it's every single hole.

Not an enjoyable course at all. Goofy layout with one of the worst par 5's in the state, 18 is an abomination.Β 

9 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Not an enjoyable course at all. Goofy layout with one of the worst par 5's in the state, 18 is an abomination.Β 

I didn't even get to play 18, we had to bail after 16, but driving past I don't think we missed much.

Β 

Courses like that and Arizona Grand kind of turn me off desert golf, sometimes. Just brutally unfun if you're not having a good driver day. I haven't played the high end courses here though, so maybe they're just an anomaly - Papago and Aguila are a little desert-y, but feel much more fun.

Longbow today. I had only played Longbow in the summer previously because I never wanted to pay the inflated winter fees. I had to play in the afternoon anyway, so I looked at Golf Now and they had a single spot at 2:33 for $82. The course website had that same spot for $118. After calling the course they gave me that same $82 rate. They ended up having a Junior tourney in the morning and were going off both #1 and #10 after that tourney cleared. The question was would we finish all 18 holes. We finished in 4:01 and were literally the last group to finish in the dark. It kind of took me back to when I was a kid and we played until dark in the summer.Β 

Β 

The course was in really good shape. The greens looked great and were great and were pretty firm. Fairways were nice and not super tight. The tee boxes seemed flatter than the last time I had played there. The last 4-5 holes are surrounded by new apartment construction as well as a large warehouse space. That really changes the feel of things.

I played Arizona Golf Resort on Friday for the first time in about 10 years. I really enjoyed it. I thought the overseed came in nicely and the greens were decently fast and very smooth.

Β 

There was some standing water on a few fairways, but I'm told it wasn't as bad as it had been in the weeks prior.Β 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Played Whirlwind Devil's Claw this weekend.Β  First time playing whirlwind since the overseed.Β Β 

Β 

The first thing which stood out to me was that they have cleared out a lot of the desert areas. Similar to what's been done at TPC Champs over the last few years.Β  Lot of areas which were just 100% dead/lost ball are now playable.Β  The desert areas aren't nearly as bougie as they are at TPC (which they are so cleared out and free of weeds/growth that they might as be raked) but they are somewhat playable now.Β Β 

Β 

Visually, it looks a lot better.Β  Cleaner, not as overgrown, better sight lines on the holes and course overall.Β 

Β 

Devil's Claw was in excellent shape.Β  Greens were pretty firm (firmer than most I've played this winter) which was nice to see.Β  While the greens rolled super smooth, they were pretty damn slow.Β  Β I played Cave Creek a couple days later (which I wouldnt describe it as being anything better than just OK conditioning wise) and Cave creek's greens were every bit as fast.Β Β 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GWΒ 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Poston Butte yesterday - went out because it's 'cheap';Β  course in general is in really good shape, greens a bit too slow, new unsettled sand in the bunker makes for some tougher shots, but plays decent.

Β 

POP a little slow - they have gone to a lottery system for residents which locks out the public until a week before, and the age bracket very long in the tooth.Β  The course is just jam packed.Β  When I got off, every table at the restaurant was full and there were at least 100 golf carts parked.Β Β 

6 minutes ago, robcha said:

Friend booked a round for Biltmore Estates course. I heard they renovated it but anybody play recently and have thoughts?

Β 

Also, do they have a range?

Β 

I haven't played it since the renovation. Just walked around the new clubhouse area a bit last month. Might play it this summer when the price goes down. They do have a range.

GCU this weekend.Β  Fairways and greens are nice but thats about it.Β  Off the fairway and bunkers are terrible.Β Β 

Β 

On a side not.Β  How the hell are you other locals getting tee times at the city courses?Β  I check first thing in the morning and everything is always booked up.Β  Are we really having to stay up until midnight to get a tee time?

Β 

Β 

• Sad 1

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60*Β 
Ping Oslo

2 hours ago, BROD3 said:

Playing all 3 courses at Dove Mountain in April. Never been our to Phoenix or play golf out west. Located in Ohio. What should I expect in terms of conditions, course management, and just any overall advice for the trip Southwest!

Not really "3 courses" at DM.Β  They have 3 nines.Β  They usually only play 2 of the nines to make one 18 hole course.Β  But sounds they will have all 3 in the rota.

Β 

The conditions should be quite good.Β  Although Wild Burro will be out of the renovations and modifications, so not sure what it will look/play like.Β  Might not be the best.

Β 

Side note - DM is not in Phoenix πŸ™‚Β - I hope you know that...it's 2 hours south. 🀣

53 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

GCU this weekend.Β  Fairways and greens are nice but thats about it.Β  Off the fairway and bunkers are terrible.Β Β 

Β 

On a side not.Β  How the hell are you other locals getting tee times at the city courses?Β  I check first thing in the morning and everything is always booked up.Β  Are we really having to stay up until midnight to get a tee time?

Β 

Β 

I think you need to buy a bot these days!

20 hours ago, robcha said:

Friend booked a round for Biltmore Estates course. I heard they renovated it but anybody play recently and have thoughts?

Β 

Also, do they have a range?

Played it a few months ago. For the most part was in good shape but still a few lingering areas, mostly near the green complexes, that were still patching in. I'd never played Biltmore prior so cannot compare it to what it once was but I found it enjoyable, especially considering it's location and the flat parcel it sits on. Lehman added a lot of mounds and depression features to add some nuance to what could, I suspect, otherwise be a pretty boring design. Played with a buddy and we were paired with a couple in their late 70s or early 80s that had been members forever. The wife spent the entire round complaining about the redesign and questioning every little mound and feature. It was quite hilarious really. Driving range is a short golf cart drive east of the clubhouse.Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

Played it a few months ago. For the most part was in good shape but still a few lingering areas, mostly near the green complexes, that were still patching in. I'd never played Biltmore prior so cannot compare it to what it once was but I found it enjoyable, especially considering it's location and the flat parcel it sits on. Lehman added a lot of mounds and depression features to add some nuance to what could, I suspect, otherwise be a pretty boring design. Played with a buddy and we were paired with a couple in their late 70s or early 80s that had been members forever. The wife spent the entire round complaining about the redesign and questioning every little mound and feature. It was quite hilarious really. Driving range is a short golf cart drive east of the clubhouse.Β 

Ok great! Thanks for the details. Should be interesting and will report back

22 hours ago, hackeraz said:

That's pretty funny.Β  Prior, it basically could have been the tarmac at PHX airport with random holes in the ground.

• Like 1

Snagged a Sunday Noon tee time at Aguila today. I didn't know these things existed, I thought the bots snapped them all up!!

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Took a ride up to Dewey today to give Prescott Golf Club a try for the first time. It was better than I had anticipated. Greens were bent grass and in excellent condition; always fun to putt on bent for a change. I'm not sure what type of grass the tees/fairways/rough were. Fairways were great, while some of the rough appeared "dormant", it was semi-thick and not matted down like dormant bermuda gets. The course played dry and firm, with that and the altitude I was getting some great distance compared to what I've been getting in the valley recently. The conditions kinda reminded me of late fall in the northeast or upper midwest. The bunker I was in was "ok", looked like a few others were receiving new sand. Paired up with 3 fun guys and finished in a little under 4 hours, some waiting mainly on the back nine, course was busy but not packed. $62 including cart was a fair deal. The layout is kinda easy and you have to be really wild to lose balls here. No traffic issues on I-17 either way was a relief.

Β 

IMG_5328.jpg.05b21993d931c94d77a14dffe3294cf2.jpgIMG_5329.jpg.321f54500c6fce779a1ddd36ba73aab3.jpg

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Double K said:

Snagged a Sunday Noon tee time at Aguila today. I didn't know these things existed, I thought the bots snapped them all up!!

Β 

The midday times are probably harder to get rid of on the bot-booked tee time resale market so they threw it back.Β πŸ™„

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Haha 2

Played Laveen National today. Got to the range and I see only one player hitting balls and zero people teeing off. The starter said a small tourney "no showed". We had the 8:40 spot and we only had one group ahead of us. We got around in 3:30. I hope they were able to charge the "no show" groups. The course was in solid shape as usual.Β 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Los Caballeros today. Course was in excellent shape tee to green. Some inconsistencies in the bunkers would be my only knock on conditioning. Greens were so pure, fast and holding shots, lots of spin on the green.Β 

Β 

Course made a mistake and booked the wrong times for our group of 12. They were able to remedy it by getting us off the back without issue, round was exactly 4 hours. Kudos to them for fixing the issue.Β 

Β 

Still a great deal compared to just about anything in the valley at $99 for a prime tee time. I believe that special runs out at the end of this month.Β 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Los Caballeros today. Course was in excellent shape tee to green. Some inconsistencies in the bunkers would be my only knock on conditioning. Greens were so pure, fast and holding shots, lots of spin on the green.Β 

Β 

Course made a mistake and booked the wrong times for our group of 12. They were able to remedy it by getting us off the back without issue, round was exactly 4 hours. Kudos to them for fixing the issue.Β 

Β 

Still a great deal compared to just about anything in the valley at $99 for a prime tee time. I believe that special runs out at the end of this month.Β 

I am assuming you had played it before?

Β 

Any thoughts, if you remember, on the changes/improvements?