2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX5 mkii vs zx7 mkii

Wobble85

I recently got fit into the ZX7. Haven’t received the clubs yet but having slight buyers remorse because like a fool, I didn’t do all my research. 

I’m technically a single digit handicap but more often than not I’m mid 80’s and play the whole course lol. 

I tested the JPX 923 Forged, Titleist 200, 350 and ZX7. 

ZX7 was by far the best clubs for me. I didn’t test the ZX5. I obviously did the golf version of webMD this weekend and started watching and reading reviews. 

ZX7 is getting paired with “blades” (although the definition of blades has wildly changed these days) T100’s, JPX Tour, Cobra tour, P770 

I am NOT that kind of player. The ZX7 didn’t even remotely feel like a “tour” club at address. The T200 gave me less confidence over the ball. 

I’m curious about non professional reviewers and everyday golfers who don’t necessarily write reviews (as I ask you to review) to tell me their experience between the ZX5 vs 7

thank you in advance. 

17 minutes ago, Wobble85 said:

I recently got fit into the ZX7. Haven’t received the clubs yet but having slight buyers remorse because like a fool, I didn’t do all my research. 

I’m technically a single digit handicap but more often than not I’m mid 80’s and play the whole course lol. 

I tested the JPX 923 Forged, Titleist 200, 350 and ZX7. 

ZX7 was by far the best clubs for me. I didn’t test the ZX5. I obviously did the golf version of webMD this weekend and started watching and reading reviews. 

ZX7 is getting paired with “blades” (although the definition of blades has wildly changed these days) T100’s, JPX Tour, Cobra tour, P770 

I am NOT that kind of player. The ZX7 didn’t even remotely feel like a “tour” club at address. The T200 gave me less confidence over the ball. 

I’m curious about non professional reviewers and everyday golfers who don’t necessarily write reviews (as I ask you to review) to tell me their experience between the ZX5 vs 7

thank you in advance. 

The ZX7 is a very large forged cavity back and it is quite forgiving for the category. You mentioned the cobra tour which is basically a game improvement iron in a players chassis and the 770 which is also quite easy to hit. All of those are noticeably easier to play compared with the JPX tour and T100 IMO. I think the T100 is a great club but the forgiveness is a bit overstated. 

Most important thing is that you hit the ZX7 well. If you hit both the 5 and 7 you might have found that the 7 is easier to hit crisp because of the sole width. The 5 is pretty much underneath and some might actually find that less helpful than the 7. Iron forgiveness as a whole is quite overstated so don’t stress about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally have problems with those categories... what means better player iron..? 

someone who constistantly hits the middle of the clubface does not need to watch around for more forgiving irons. If this player hits allways the middle, but with an open clubface and an out-to-in path no SG iron in the world will bring this ball back to the targetline.

I like smaller heads like the ZX7 and the thin sole because of their turf interaction. I have much more dispersion with wider soles and especially with the offset of such irons. I prefer to have a distance drop of from a non center hit over a massive hook because of the offset

Would it make sense to switch over to ZX5? I do not know for your particular swing, maybe yes. Or maybe only for the longer irons?

Edited by Streuner
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Thunder74 said:

I wouldn’t stress OP. I have a combo set of the ZX7’s and ZX5’s so I have experience with both. Even though the ZX7’s are more compact, they’re still incredibly forgiving on mis-hits. I came from an old set of Apex Pro’s and I feel like I’m cheating with the ZX7’s. 

I think this is the crux of my thinking. 

maybe I should have gone with g-6 ZX7 then 5 ZX5 or G-7 then 6/5 in ZX5 

the ZX7 were so easy to hit. I really didn’t think about them even being considered as a tier up from players distance. 

• Like 1

I can't comment on the ZX7 but I had a fitting last summer and tested out the ZX5 mkii, T350, ZX4, G430 and i230.

Going into the fitting i wanted to love the i230 being a former i200 guy, and hit it quite well but the thinner topline compared to the others made me doubt my ability to get along with it long term.   I hit the ZX5 and it reminded me of the i230 but with a thicker looking topline that gave me more confidence.  I ended up going ZX5.  I panicked though after playing a few rds and shooting bad scores and unloaded them.  I think if I had bought them with graphite shafts instead I would still have them.  

Maybe the ZX7 is like the Zx5 in that compared to other irons its size it has a little more top line girth making it look easier to navigate? 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

“I’m technically a single digit handicap but more often than not I’m mid 80’s and play the whole course lol. “

so you shank your irons all over the course? Or it is more of an off the tee problem with the driver? 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

2 hours ago, Wobble85 said:

the ZX7 were so easy to hit. I really didn’t think about them even being considered as a tier up from players distance. 

This is your answer, don’t have buyers remorse but be open to getting a club or two with a ZX5 head to supplement your bag a bit for the irons you want a little more forgiveness with. You can always sell your ZX7 5 and 6 or whatever irons and not take too big a hit. Personally I’d keep them anyway as you can practice with them at the range and then go back to the more forgiving ZX5s for rounds and whatnot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 9*

Ping G430 3w & 5w

Ping   22* & 26* G430 Hybrids

Srixon ZX5 6i-PW, CBX Zipcore 48*,  54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Squareback 35” or Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossi

Srixon Z-Star or Titleist Pro-V 1

Shotscope X5

Ping Hoofer 14 Way

QOD Motorized Pushcart & Clicgear Model 8

2 hours ago, Kale_m said:

“I’m technically a single digit handicap but more often than not I’m mid 80’s and play the whole course lol. “

so you shank your irons all over the course? Or it is more of an off the tee problem with the driver? 

Off the tee lol. It’s a wild mental block. I’m good for a couple blowup holes a round. Hitting 3 off the tee or a punch out will get you everytime haha.

1 hour ago, Wobble85 said:

Off the tee lol. It’s a wild mental block. I’m good for a couple blowup holes a round. Hitting 3 off the tee or a punch out will get you everytime haha.

Then play whatever irons you like the look of. That is not your problem lol

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

6 hours ago, Wobble85 said:

If you're worried about it can just buy a ZX5 club and test them out. At worst could use the one you don't need as a practice club. Looks like you only go to 5i otherwise I have a 4i head I don't need.

If you're hitting the ZX7s fine I wouldn't sweat it though, especially in the mid & short irons.

Played pretty much all the Srixon irons.  Yes, you will hit some shots with the ZX5 where the result is better - maybe it carries the bunker, maybe it doesn't tail off as much.  And when you hit those shots you'll know that the equivalent shot with a ZX7 would not have been as "fortunate".

Realistically though, those shots are probably few and far between.  When it comes to irons, I don't think you should pick based on your mis-hits.  You should pick based on whether you see the flight you want to see when you hit it well.  For me, this is why I have gone back to the ZX5 (Mk II) - I feel like they naturally want to get up in the air, which is what I want to see.  Meanwhile the ZX7 - while forgiving for the category of iron it's in - I felt I had to work harder to get the ball in my desired window.

If you hit the ZX7 well enough and you are happy with what you saw I wouldn't sweat it.  Yes you can always blend the sets and play the ZX5 in the longer irons.  Not sure what your longest iron is but I would certainly recommend the ZX utility as well - I carry a 23 degree to replace my 4 iron and it works well. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

On 2/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, Albatross Dreamer said:

If you're worried about it can just buy a ZX5 club and test them out. At worst could use the one you don't need as a practice club. Looks like you only go to 5i otherwise I have a 4i head I don't need.

If you're hitting the ZX7s fine I wouldn't sweat it though, especially in the mid & short irons.

I went down this rabbit hole and bought ZX5 in the 4 and 5 iron (to replace the long ZX7 irons). The numbers on a simulator were worse with the ZX5 and they were harder to hit. Play the ZX7 set and see how they do. If you need "help" with the long irons, investigate a driving iron 4-iron. 

I played the ZX7 irons and the older 585 irons. I though the CG on the ZX7 was too high for my swing and made it difficult to elevate the ball with enough spin in the longer irons 4,5,6,7 to stop the ball in a reasonable distance on the greens that I play. The 585 elevated the ball easily and had good stopping power for me. With the ZX7, it could have been a shaft thing, but if you are only fitted with a 6 or 7 iron, it can sometimes be difficult to tell how the longer or shorter irons are going to react. 

Extremely happy with my MKII combo set of 5&6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7.   I found the ZX7's so forgiving that I was torn between buying all ZX7's or the combo set.  I noticed that a couple of PGA Pros played the combo set so decided to suppress my ego and go combo.  All that being said, I think I would probably be just as happy with a full ZX7 set.  Give them a try for awhile and see what happens.  Bottom line, the ZX5 & ZX7 irons are so consistently forgiving in terms of  both distance and dispersion and so similar at address that I think the net differences are minor.  

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Have played both in the prior model and now have the zx5 mk ll. 

I only really noticed a difference in the 5-6-7 irons with the 5s being a tad clicky. But feel and forgiveness were very good. Had the 7s in 8-pw and forgiveness wasn’t really an issue with those lofts. 

in say order a 5-6 iron one degree weak to start, maybe a 7 irons later if those work for you. 

its a great combo set and looks fluid. I would

do the same but I am not getting out enough these days so I need more help

for a while.

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

On 2/19/2024 at 6:25 AM, Tree Levino said:

The ZX7 is a very large forged cavity back and it is quite forgiving for the category. You mentioned the cobra tour which is basically a game improvement iron in a players chassis and the 770 which is also quite easy to hit. All of those are noticeably easier to play compared with the JPX tour and T100 IMO. I think the T100 is a great club but the forgiveness is a bit overstated. 

Most important thing is that you hit the ZX7 well. If you hit both the 5 and 7 you might have found that the 7 is easier to hit crisp because of the sole width. The 5 is pretty much underneath and some might actually find that less helpful than the 7. Iron forgiveness as a whole is quite overstated so don’t stress about it. 

I found the ZX5's sole width an issue, and moved to the ZX7's. And happy I did. I tried the ZX5's thinking more forgiving, but since the Z785's were an excellent iron that I had enjoyed for years, the ZX5's were just too hard for me to adjust to. Its what your comfortable playing with, that matters.

The ZX7's are just a great set of irons, I have no regrets switching to them.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Trust your fitter and your results. 

Honestly I think fittings would work better if the player could walk out on the same day with the correct spec irons and never look back. The delay between ordering and receiving is always going to involve some unnecessary second guessing. 

I have a blended set of OG ZX5/ZX7. I could realistically play a full set of either model. To me the ZX7's feel much better at impact. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS