Vokey T grind - Any diggers using this tool?

djmokos

Hi Team,

Any diggers or medium divot folks using the T grind with success? 

Im very interested in this wedge grind as the description fits my game, less the fact that I tend to have a steeper delivery. 

I’m pretty confident in my wedge game and like to manipulate the club face often around the green. I know that they offer an M grind at 8 bounce and the D at 12 bounce but the versatility of the T is intriguing. 

I don’t belong to a club so I play multiple courses throughout the year here in New England, so course conditions vary. 

Asking anyone, diggers, sweepers and everyone in between. Your pros/cons and experiences with the wedge. 

As a heads up, would love to test it, however, as a lefty, finding one to test has proven tough. 

Thanks, All. 

• Thanks 1

I use a T and a M depending on the conditions, but I tend to favor the T. I’m steep as a jeep when it comes to the short game. Love to put the ball back and take a divot. I have no issues with the T digging. Just gotta keep my chest away from the earth. The only time I’ve ever chunked it is when my chest lowers and that’s user error, not the club. 

Only downside to the T for me is longer shots from the fairway. The T tends to give me a little higher window than I like to see. I also feel like I get slippage at times from full shots compared to the M. 

Edited by Llortamaisey

I'm a steepish player as well, but I rotate the T in a good bit simply because my home course has really tight fairways and green surrounds. We barely got any rain from last spring all the way through the fall, and the T grind was a life saver. I'm seeing the disadvantage to it now that we've caught up on our rain and the ground is wetter. It's a lot easier to stick it in the ground if you don't have a perfect strike. So for that reason, I bought an M grind for a little more forgiveness.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

I think it depends a lot on turf conditions. The dryer/firmer conditions will be much more receptive. Wetter/softer conditions will challenge you lot more. 

The T is popular on tour but they don't play soggy conditions, LOL. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

As a long time M player who narrowed up the grind and a bit, i hated ending up with lighter headweights so I tried the 58* T bent to 60 to give is 6* effective bounce and its been awesome for me!

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

I think like some others have said, it depends on playing conditions. I live in the northeast, same as you, and I’m a steep player… when it’s soft out, there is about a 0% chance of me using a T grind lol 

Like @MelloYello stated, the tour doesn’t play in soft conditions very often. And when they do, I’ve seen some of those T players switch out that wedge. YMMV, but if you are the type of player that can really control your low point, then I’m sure it’s a great tool in any condition. But I know it’s not gonna work for me in those soft conditions. 

Edited by toastinato

10 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Steep here and no issues with T on firm, summer conditions.  Wet or soggy conditions the T is out and a M grind(wet,firm bunkers) or d grind(softer bunkers or really thick rough) is in.

As a digger I can totally agree with this. If you miss the ball at all in wet/ soft conditions the face just cuts like a knife peeling a fruit and will lay over the sod.

Hard pan allows you to get nippy with the T grind.

• Like 1

T-grind user and would not classify myself as a digger but I try to come in to the ball with a steep plane trying to pick it essentially.

I do not have another wedge when conditions are "softer" I just stick with it and if it is an unfavorable condition then I use my SW that has a full sole bounce.

Currently So Cal is the softest condition wise it has ever been but don't feel the need for another lob wedge for it. Access the lie and if you're in a valley area of slop then use the higher bounce sandwedge. Having a higher bounce lob wedge isn't gonna make that shot easier. 

More so, the PGAT just finished their west coast swing and pretty much all the stops had been in a preferred lies or lift clean and cheat like tiger used to say. The vast majority of pros that used T-grind still had T-grind in their bag in those conditions FWIW. 

• Like 1

Really interested in this topic...

I played a 58.08 M for years, but as a sweeper I struggle on our firm surfaces...fairways and bunkers.  I was hesitant to go down to 58.04 T bc of the 4*, so I just purchased a 60.08 M and bent it down to a 58 which resulted in a 58.06 M....I hope this is correct...???

How would a 58.04 T compare to my modified 58.06 M?  Is the M and T similar?  I appreciate the feedback.

1 hour ago, tannerdc said:

I played a 58.08 M for years, but as a sweeper I struggle on our firm surfaces...fairways and bunkers.  I was hesitant to go down to 58.04 T bc of the 4*, so I just purchased a 60.08 M and bent it down to a 58 which resulted in a 58.06 M....I hope this is correct...???

How would a 58.04 T compare to my modified 58.06 M?  Is the M and T similar?  I appreciate the feedback.

The bent M still won’t have as much relief as the T, and the crest of the effective bounce on the M will still be further away from the leading edge compared to the T. The leading edge might also be a little more exposed on the bent M. 

3 hours ago, tannerdc said:

They have a similar crescent like grinds on their soles with relatively the same sole width but with the T grind that trailing edge relief is more exasperated which makes the biggest difference imo. 

On square faced shots they would probably play similar but I generally rarely play a square faced shots with the T grind unless i am in some odd uncommon situations. Majority of the time its open to some extent. 

Guys love tour sauce. Fun fact is a lot of guys on tour play the T with a bit more bounce which ends up closer to a V grind. It is cool when it’s firm out to be able to slide the club under the ball with no resistance and little chance of foreheading it however I think if Bobby V were to personally fit most of those on here playing that grind in their home turf conditions (aside from maybe Texans or desert players) they would absolutely not be fitting into T. I think people have the misconception that it’s just easier to flat out chunk low bounce wedges and if you aren’t doing that then the fit is alright. I tested the T, M, S and D all extensively on my clubs range, short game area, and bunkers and as someone that would call themselves a slightly above average wedge player, I think it gives up a lot more than it gains you. Like it or not strike will generally move up the head which, unless you are playing on extremely firm fairways, is going to mess up launch and spin consistency. In my mind, I’ve never come across a better setup than a 58 M bent to either 59 or 60. I can open it up as much as I need in any condition. It has enough bounce to be used any time of year and I can take it on trips without thinking twice. Love the T off hard pan but I would never choose it otherwise. It’s a very niche product that people use widely because they think it’s cool and see it in tour bags.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tree Levino said:

Guys love tour sauce. Fun fact is a lot of guys on tour play the T with a bit more bounce which ends up closer to a V grind.

Yeah I have 2 T grinds one for practice and one I game and the gamer is a 58 bent to 60. Gives just a tad more bounce but still can open it up like usual. 

As you know, "T" grind has 4' of bounce and leading edge will be close to the ground, in other words, no forgiveness.  If you're proficient at opening the face of low bounce to add more bounce, then T grind in NE conditions might work.  In soft conditions, though, it's going to take skilled hands to get that T club head through the mush or fluffy wispy sand, M is better.  If you're at all in doubt and don't have the extended time needed to practice with T, I'd pass.

Generally, tour conditions are NOT good examples, nor comparable to what we face.  

I scrape/sweep irons, but take more of a serious divot using 9i-LW.  My short game is a "+."  Since learning, I've played low bounce, sharp leading edge 60/58' LW; using M58/8' since 2016.  Started with SM6 now SM9, and play in all types of hard/mushy conditions.  Last weekend it was chilly and rain/mushy, yet able to make 58/8 work nicely, even holed out on 18 to save par.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I use to always play 60° with 10° of bounce always and when I went to vokeys I started with M grind and then switched to the T. I was always a digger but T has been solid for me. I play it regardless of wet or dry. I have an M still depending on grass, I struggled with T on zoysia the first time so I played and hit shots with the M and T.

I'm in a tough spot because my South Louisiana is very wet, which keeps turf conditions very soft at my club.  However, our bunkers are super firm with only a very thin layer of sand between surface and the bunker hard pan.  I went 58T bent to 59, which helps keep the leading edge closer to the ground for bunker shots but does add a little extra bounce vs. stock configuration.  Higher bounce wedges tend to skip off the base of our bunkers for me.  So far I've loved the T out of the bunker.  Have also hit some high soft ones from some of our tight green surrounds that would have been more difficult with higher bounce.  Some of those surrounds that can get really firm over the summer, so I think the T grind will only become more helpful there as it heats up.  Only area I've struggled so far with some heavier strikes is in the 40-80 yard range in the fairway.  On those shots, I've had some digging with the contact point moving up the face and failed to get sufficient carry if I am not very precise with low point control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cameaux said:

I'm in a tough spot because my South Louisiana is very wet, which keeps turf conditions very soft at my club.  However, our bunkers are super firm with only a very thin layer of sand between surface and the bunker hard pan.  I went 58T bent to 59, which helps keep the leading edge closer to the ground for bunker shots but does add a little extra bounce vs. stock configuration.  Higher bounce wedges tend to skip off the base of our bunkers for me.  So far I've loved the T out of the bunker.  Have also hit some high soft ones from some of our tight green surrounds that would have been more difficult with higher bounce.  Some of those surrounds that can get really firm over the summer, so I think the T grind will only become more helpful there as it heats up.  Only area I've struggled so far with some heavier strikes is in the 40-80 yard range in the fairway.  On those shots, I've had some digging with the contact point moving up the face and failed to get sufficient carry if I am not very precise with low point control.

Yeah and even for good players that's going to happen. Re firm bunkers, there are techniques that work that absolutely do not require a 4 bounce wedge. I played a D grind in my 60 for the last couple of seasons and could easily hit good shots out of hard packed bunkers. The only time that is ever a real problem is if you're playing a course that doesn't put a lot of money into their bunkers (it's the most expensive maintenance are for courses so many skimp) and they put a thin layer over hard pan so it looks like you have more than you actually do. If you're used to the course and know it's hard pan you can adjust. 

• 1 month later...

Thinking about bending a 60 t grind two degrees weak for more bounce. Anyone have any feedback on doing this. It seems many tour guys do this for more bounce. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag