2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Misses are thin…. Head goes up, and back, losing posture…. Drills?

I still believe in fixing the body first. You have a tendency to turn around your front leg (locking the right leg) instead of turning in to your right leg (amg golf shaggy legs video, pretty rescent). No real load up on to your right side. And this is part of the reason you stand up in the downswing, right shoulder goes out etc.

at setup your hands are even further ahead at setup now before you take the club back forcing your arms to be disconnected from your body right away. Also your arms are so tight, you need to relax them.

IMG_7220.jpeg

IMG_7221.jpeg

IMG_7222.png

IMG_7216.jpeg

• Like 1

Also about wrist condition. I just did an experiment and did your setup with my left elbow pointing at the target. Then I just moved my arm so my elbow pointed more towards my body which is more textbook (left wrist shouldnt point directly at your body, the right elbow should, but in the middle between pointing at your body and at the target), like a 45 degree move with my elbow. And what happened to the clubface? it closed by 45 degrees. So if I set up the arms like you do the clubface is so closed its almost impossible to flatten the left wrist during the swing and if you do it the face would be so closed its crazy. Not sure Valtiel agrees with me on this observations or if you like my feedback but I insist on a neutral setup with more neutral grip and arm position, ball position.

Edited by mizunotpz
Re

On 3/23/2024 at 1:04 AM, Valtiel said:

Don't ever compromise a fundamental like ball position because you're hitting bad shots. If the ball is in a neutral spot and the shots aren't then it isn't the ball positions fault, and all changing that will do is encourage you to continue what is *actually* at fault, thereby not fixing it, while also encouraging a bad fundamental. You actively make yourself worse and lengthen or even undo improvements by casually making changes like this, so keep an eye on that. If you or the ball are not positioned "correctly" in a fundamental sense, which is to say you move something far enough out of bounds like your ball position above, then everything you do to hit the ball from here will further encourage bad movement patterns and hurt your progress. 

If you can, please take some video of the swings you're making in the mirror so we can see what exaggerated moves you're attempting, because I can almost guarantee that you aren't doing what you think you are or potentially are missing something else entirely. The fact that something you tried "felt so odd" is good, and as we've heard Monte say a million times it is the sign that you're doing something *different*, which is what we want.

The bitter pill that needs to be swallowed here is that your "feel" is not an effective barometer for "good or bad" at this stage, because if it were then you'd be feeling how badly your backswing breaks down at the top and you'd have been able to change it by now. If something "felt so odd that I’m not even sure if I’d hit the ball" then that has to be put through the George Costanza Decoder Ring so to speak that takes into account the fact that your feel/instincts got you to place of several very bad fundamentals, and therefore anything that "feels wrong" should be treated for exactly what it is; something different than what you're currently doing which therefore has the potential to be the change you need to make. I'd be curious exactly what the "set my wristcock right from the start" actually looks like in this case too, so please get some video of that as well. If we can get you rehearsing correctly then you stand a better chance at taking those rehearsals to your real swing. 

On paper this is fine and generally good advice, but the only thing I disagree with here is that when your "default" is wrong, i.e. the moves you make without really thinking about them, then no amount of "don't try to focus on anything, just setup correctly and let the correct stuff just 'happen'" will be of much help. You have to consciously work your way out of the holes you've unconsciously dug for yourself, and gaining awareness of how, when, and why these problems occur is the very conscious work that needs to be done.  

Yes, but so many of the issues here is related to setup so my point was to simplify and get things correct in the setup and learn how to move a correct first move away. Then we can see how it looks and go from there. Fixing the wrist condition you talk about confuses me a little bit cause a really good pro told me we always fix the body first, then the arms. If you read my point from today on wrist condition at setup, how closed the face actually is you might see my point.

Edited by mizunotpz
Te

Swing is definitely shorter, but ur still pulling the arms behind ur body and having a very cupped wrist at the top. In the downswing your first move is shoulder turn, but it should be feeling the arms come off the body, not stay connected.

I would have you do these two drills. You gotta get the club laid off somehow and the arms AWAY from your chest. if you don't get them off the chest, you have to use your body too much.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

10 minutes ago, slytown said:

Swing is definitely shorter, but ur still pulling the arms behind ur body and having a very cupped wrist at the top. In the downswing your first move is shoulder turn, but it should be feeling the arms come off the body, not stay connected.

I would have you do these two drills. You gotta get the club laid off somehow and the arms AWAY from your chest. if you don't get them off the chest, you have to use your body too much.

Totally agree with this point. Just think you need to work the body first, proper setup, proper hip and shoulder rotation and then you can work on arms

48 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

I just moved my arm so my elbow pointed more towards my body which is more textbook

Ok, I can change that, it results in my shoulders to be more level, by doing it in the mirror, so thank you. 

about the reverse pivot, 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t even think I was doing that, but 20+ years ago, I took a host of lessons, and a season to fix it….. although my body was more high right hip, and leaned left with the upper body, than it is now…. The hips swayed rather than turned….. I think that’s something I can manage to change without too much effort. 

51 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

what happened to the clubface? it closed by 45 degrees.

As I mentioned when I was attempting to control wrist angles last fall, then gave up, I said it FELT like I was fanning the club wide open…… it’s no wonder it felt like that from my set up. 

I will be mindful of my left elbow and relaxing my arms (also what I was told by a pro years ago). I think if I put myself in a position to make a proper backswing from a proper set up, I may have a chance of mitigating my wrist angle without FEELING like I’m fanning the club wide open 

i appreciate your feedback and look forward to making these changes ASAP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Ok, I can change that, it results in my shoulders to be more level, by doing it in the mirror, so thank you. 

about the reverse pivot, 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t even think I was doing that, but 20+ years ago, I took a host of lessons, and a season to fix it….. although my body was more high right hip, and leaned left with the upper body, than it is now…. The hips swayed rather than turned….. I think that’s something I can manage to change without too much effort. 

As I mentioned when I was attempting to control wrist angles last fall, then gave up, I said it FELT like I was fanning the club wide open…… it’s no wonder it felt like that from my set up. 

I will be mindful of my left elbow and relaxing my arms (also what I was told by a pro years ago). I think if I put myself in a position to make a proper backswing from a proper set up, I may have a chance of mitigating my wrist angle without FEELING like I’m fanning the club wide open 

i appreciate your feedback and look forward to making these changes ASAP. 

Yes, sounds great mate. If you wanna work on not swaying watch that full Monte video slytown just published. On how to go about shortening your backswing. If you stop the arms shorter, the arms hands will be more on your right side and it wont be natural for the body to move into the reverse pivot. Youve been to a lot of pros and went through a lot of different phases and fixes and that why I would just simplify and start fresh with new setup, your elbows more into your body (watch the Sam Burns photo at setup I added above). Do short backswings, like arm parallell and check your left wrist. 

9 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

Yes, but so many of the issues here is related to setup so my point was to simplify and get things correct in the setup and learn how to move a correct first move away. Then we can see how it looks and go from there. Fixing the wrist condition you talk about confuses me a little bit cause a really good pro told me we always fix the body first, then the arms. If you read my point from today on wrist condition at setup, how closed the face actually is you might see my point.

I commented on the wrists as they do breakdown, but I noted that was likely a symptom of a broader problem and encouraged getting comfortable with the feeling of shortening the swing and keeping it connected. Yes body positions and setup are of crucial fundamental importance, but in the the same way a balanced diet and regular exercise are of fundamental importance to overall health, but metaphorically he has a high fever and an infection that have both gone unchecked for long enough that they are just a part of the landscape now, and salads + lots of water aren't going to correct things at this stage. 

@Drivingrangehero Your practice swings indicate that on a fundamental level you simply don't know how to make an appropriate length swing for the club in your hand yet. We could have speculated that based on earlier videos, but your living room practice swings confirm there is a significant enough disconnect here to warrant addressing very directly. Even without a ball and no impulse to hit an object you are still making swings that are, without exaggeration, *WAY* too long. This is to the point that IMO no amount of addressing anything outside of this will have much impact until you learn to correctly feel a more "correct" length swing.

@mizunotpz I agree with your points, but IMO you double down on focusing on and reinforcing fundamentals with swings that are generally within a realm of fundamental acceptability. Maybe they stray a little off in small areas or have inconsistencies, but the "lock in the fundamentals more tightly and see what happens next" approach, once that i've taken several times to be sure, isn't the right next step here. I've assembled a little "Hollywood Squares" collage to make this point:

WedgeSwings.jpg.a527ce0e4aa8eb6df80717eee0b16af1.jpg

This is the very top of the backswing of a who's who of pros with a PW or shot iron throughout the decades. You could dial back the length of @Drivingrangehero's overall backswing a couple ticks and it still wouldn't even be close to any of the top players pictured here, and i've included examples of the longest and most languid swing in high level golf, so I didn't just stack it with compact Rahm-esque siwngs to make a point. The only way you can casually swing a PW length club this far, and without a ball no less, is to have a very ingrained pattern of overswinging that needs to be broken down. The good news @Drivingrangehero is that this is at the root of your problems, especially with shorter clubs, so you stand to improve a lot once you get beyond this hurdle. What I would really like to see you do next on the range is to make the *smallest* possible swings you can manage while generating any meaningful amount of power. This is basically the goal of the Padraig Wrist Drills that we touched on earlier but didn't directly follow up on, but that you still made swings that were FAR too long in. I want shorter, and then shorter again, and the even shorter after that. And even then I can almost guarantee that what you produce with that prompt will *still* be too long, but it's just the process I suspect is necessary to reign in your intuitive understand of what your backswing is. And to be clear, i'm not trying to impose any kind of swing model or personal swing philosophy on you here, i'm just trying to reign you back into a box that can contain a fundamentally sound golf swing in the broadest sense. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I think the focus is on wrist angles and overswinging from both @Valtiel and @mizunotpz …… and yes, it a huge problem…… my issue is how do I do this? 

it’s strange, because I don’t feel like I am overswinging at all, but it’s SUPER ABUNDANTLY CLEAR, that I am WAAAAY over swinging. My problem is …… how the hell can I get my brain, to tell my body STOP, that’s far enough 😂.    Anything that can be a catalyst is helpful. I agree, I need to feel as if I’m barely coming back, shorter than Jon Rahm in order to shorten it to Viktor Hovland length

After doing some mirror work with my left arm turned more in towards my body, rather than out, it’s apparent that 1. My shoulders become more level 2. My grip isn’t as strong as I thought, a lot of the knuckles I’m seeing, is due to my arm positioning , which is rotated out already. 

I think, if I can set my self up proper, these drills you guys have shared, will be achieved easier than starting off in a bad position. 

I will focus on proper set up, to lead into proper wrist flexation, then into a proper length backswing 

I feel like this is going to take more time and effort that I originally thought, due to me being so ingrained in bad habits. It’s wild to me that there is such a disconnect from my sight, to my mind and my body as far as feel is concerned. 

Funny thing is, with all these changes, I’m hitting the ball pretty good, considering how uncomfortable I feel. I get it, I shouldn’t be comfortable since the change is drastic 😂 so I look forward (in part ) to stepping further out of my comfort zone, and into a fundamentally better golf swing

Thanks guys, for all your input, I hope to hash it out over the next few weeks….months….. 🤔 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 4:55 PM, stephenmatt said:

You could post this 100 times on the same post and people still wouldn't record their swing correctly. It is impossible to correctly diagnose a swing from a bad angle.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's more difficult unless you have a very trained eye. 

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

Watch what Monte said in that Be better golf video. If you wanna shorten the backswing there is only one way to do it. Swing back to what you think is left arm parallell to the ground. Do it over and over and after a month/six weeks you will start to see a shorter backswing. It is of course not fun but as Monte say its your understanding of what is proper rotation that is off and thats also part of why you sway.

I dont agree with valtiel on not getting the basic fundamentals right which includes how to turn your right leg into your right hip going back. Then you can learn to load in the backswing instead of just do a lot of armlifting and sway. That will also help the arm movement cause it is of course related. Sometimes its better to fix a swing fault by changing a whole pattern instead of just trying to fix a wrist angle.

After doing some mirror work with my left arm turned more in towards my body, rather than out, it’s apparent that 1. My shoulders become more level 2. My grip isn’t as strong as I thought, a lot of the knuckles I’m seeing, is due to my arm positioning , which is rotated out already. 
this is very important that you continue with I think. Then you can take the club back like the classic how you swing a bucket of water idea.

This drill may seem simple but its excellent for you to do now infront of the mirror. Pay attention to detail and where the stick should be placed. Cause it might also help you to feel that when the turn of the body isnt finished there is no reason for the arms to keep lifting. A shorter swing will help you stay more connected and hit the ball further most likely.

IMG_5046.png

IMG_5047.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I think the focus is on wrist angles and overswinging from both @Valtiel and @mizunotpz …… and yes, it a huge problem…… my issue is how do I do this? 

it’s strange, because I don’t feel like I am overswinging at all, but it’s SUPER ABUNDANTLY CLEAR, that I am WAAAAY over swinging. My problem is …… how the hell can I get my brain, to tell my body STOP, that’s far enough 😂.    Anything that can be a catalyst is helpful. I agree, I need to feel as if I’m barely coming back, shorter than Jon Rahm in order to shorten it to Viktor Hovland length

7 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

Swing back to what you think is left arm parallell to the ground. Do it over and over and after a month/six weeks you will start to see a shorter backswing.

Agreed with this. If the actual act of swing back this far is something you literally can't help then set a marker like "left arm parallel" in the backswing and keep trying to hit that spot by feel. Do nothing else until you can, first without a ball and then with one on the range. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

11 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Agreed with this. If the actual act of swing back this far is something you literally can't help then set a marker like "left arm parallel" in the backswing and keep trying to hit that spot by feel. Do nothing else until you can, first without a ball and then with one on the range. 

👍 even trying last night with my wife holding a club, I was going well past……. Maybe like Tommy Fleetwood  and I thought i was left arm parallel to ground 

I think I’ll just practice this, make a few eyes shut swings back while videoing to see how far I’m actually coming back. 

DB30A263-EB94-4237-B692-7DE3820F5572.jpeg.db270119be4c6c1a77083ba12123e63f.jpeg

• Like 1

Be sure to pay attention to your spine angle as well. I think its much easier to feel a shorter swing when youre a touch more leaned away from the target. Of course its not ideal to sway in either way, but for you the feel should be a little more leaned away. Chris Como recently published a video on instagram about feeling how you push your hands away from the target at the top of the swing (he used a towel to illustrate). As soon as you get a better setup and shorter backswing, a lot of things will change for you. Players who set the wrists too late in the backswing often experience end up messy at the top.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:42 PM, Drivingrangehero said:

👍 even trying last night with my wife holding a club, I was going well past……. Maybe like Tommy Fleetwood  and I thought i was left arm parallel to ground 

I think I’ll just practice this, make a few eyes shut swings back while videoing to see how far I’m actually coming back. 

DB30A263-EB94-4237-B692-7DE3820F5572.jpeg.db270119be4c6c1a77083ba12123e63f.jpeg

Tommy is a good example, but you should be looking at the front on camera as well. If you are overswing, you'll see the arms against the body and the shoulders way past 90 degrees.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Valtiel @mizunotpz

I haven’t abandon ship, I’ve just been struggling with the over swingIng, plus busy at work, so not able to get out as much. 

I can go halfway back in a mirror, but as soon as I put a ball down, it’s 3/4 of the way back, while trying to go halfway back. If I try to make a iron swing, that should be 3/4 of the way back, I’m coming all the way to parallel.

I am coming back on a much flatter plane, but staying on plane better throughout the swing, so that’s gooD, although my swing is less steep, I feel like I’m hitting down on the ball more, with possibly a greater -AOA, I’ve never been one to hit the ball high on the face of an iron, or hit the ball, fat, which I have done in the past couple range sessions. 

I’ve only taken videos from two range sessions since my last post, and have been so disappointed in seeing them that I just deleted them 

getting a proper set up with my arms hanging and rotated properly at address, with the addition of my hips more over my ankles/ not hanging to far back back has greatly improved my ability to better stay on plane, and not move towards the ball at impact (EE) 

I figure it’s going to take me a couple more weeks before I’m able to stop over swinging and better control, wrist angles. 

I know the wrist angles still a problem from the jump, being that when I do the halfway back drill, my face contact is awful. It could be a hosel rocket, a toe slap, or a chunk, and this isn’t the case with a full swing

I hope to post some videos this weekend on the halfway drill, then my full swing, so you guys may be able to  put me on the right path, pun intended! 

@slytown

The Monte video is what I’ve really been focusing on, so thanks for sharing. I went back and watched the other one yesterday and I figured once I got the Monte drill nailed down I’d  focus on the next one you sent, but it seems my overswinging and using my shoulders/torso, rather than arms is all part of over swinging, so I’ll will start focusing on both rather than one at a time since I think they are tied together and I have still been struggling with the wrist angles/ overswing

Thanks again! 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Super busy with work and the kids, so not able to put in the time I’d like at the range, but I was able to get away today for a little bit @Valtiel @mizunotpz

This is a 1/2 over 8 iron choked up on 3/4 of an inch 

13 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Super busy with work and the kids, so not able to put in the time I’d like at the range, but I was able to get away today for a little bit @Valtiel @mizunotpz

This is a 1/2 over 8 iron choked up on 3/4 of an inch 

FullSizeRender.MOV FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov

These are functionally the same as the swings I broke down back on the 15th, minus the ball position issue which is a good spot now. 

The pointed question I have to ask based on this is, yes/no, can you see these things or not? Do recognize that all the patterns are still the same and don't know what to do about them, or do you think you're changing things? Did you look at the Fleetwood reference that you said you wanted to target and notice that....

image.png.e002d99db86720a10f4e8dcdbe689068.png

This is where your length of swing would need to be, but that you still do this?

DrivingRangeFleetwood.gif.75d77b7aa375944e7abface7bc000aac.gif

This overall pattern at the top of the swing of sudden and severe steepening of the club has been identical in every video you've shared so far, so either you can't see it or you can see it and don't know what to do about it. If it's the former then you're going to quickly run into a ceiling of what can be accomplished with remote advice in a "you can lead a horse to water" kind of way. If it's the latter then you need to either ask more questions about it or more accurately....stick to the drills you were given already until this pattern changes. The "Padraig drill" swings were *still* longer than the pro's full swings in the collage I made last month, and those are supposed to be 1/2 to 3/4 length, so in all likelihood you need to return to those to continue grinding out an understanding of where the club is in your backswing.

In your first attempt at this drill:

DrivingRangePadraigDrill.gif.ec7ba809373764c6afe0d5d9b0c99099.gif

You missed the off-ramp by like 2 exits here and in a drill where you were *actually* supposed to "exit" early. If prompted to make quick half swings using maximum wrist hinge you still overshoot a pro's full swing then the problem has reached a stage where is requires the same kinds of restrictive drills I recommended in this thread. And interestingly there are a lot of parallels in your swing and that one including the ball positions problems, excessive shaft lean, poor lower body sequencing, and tendency to create big big overswings. For that reason my advice at this stage is the same; until you can reliably hit shots from that left arm parallel "Padraig Drill" position with power, you shouldn't be attempting full swings.  

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Bridgestone 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

These are functionally the same as the swings I broke down back on the 15th, minus the ball position issue which is a good spot now. 

The pointed question I have to ask based on this is, yes/no, can you see these things or not? Do recognize that all the patterns are still the same and don't know what to do about them, or do you think you're changing things? Did you look at the Fleetwood reference that you said you wanted to target and notice that....

image.png.e002d99db86720a10f4e8dcdbe689068.png

This is where your length of swing would need to be, but that you still do this?

DrivingRangeFleetwood.gif.75d77b7aa375944e7abface7bc000aac.gif

This overall pattern at the top of the swing of sudden and severe steepening of the club has been identical in every video you've shared so far, so either you can't see it or you can see it and don't know what to do about it. If it's the former then you're going to quickly run into a ceiling of what can be accomplished with remote advice in a "you can lead a horse to water" kind of way. If it's the latter then you need to either ask more questions about it or more accurately....stick to the drills you were given already until this pattern changes. The "Padraig drill" swings were *still* longer than the pro's full swings in the collage I made last month, and those are supposed to be 1/2 to 3/4 length, so in all likelihood you need to return to those to continue grinding out an understanding of where the club is in your backswing.

In your first attempt at this drill:

DrivingRangePadraigDrill.gif.ec7ba809373764c6afe0d5d9b0c99099.gif

You missed the off-ramp by like 2 exits here and in a drill where you were *actually* supposed to "exit" early. If prompted to make quick half swings using maximum wrist hinge you still overshoot a pro's full swing then the problem has reached a stage where is requires the same kinds of restrictive drills I recommended in this thread. And interestingly there are a lot of parallels in your swing and that one including the ball positions problems, excessive shaft lean, poor lower body sequencing, and tendency to create big big overswings. For that reason my advice at this stage is the same; until you can reliably hit shots from that left arm parallel "Padraig Drill" position with power, you shouldn't be attempting full swings.  

In all honesty, it feels like changes, but then I see a video and see more of the same. 

I think the hard part for me, is going to a driving range with the limited time I have (work + young kids) and then only doing a drill. I feel like Bilbo Baggins carrying the ring in my pocket, while it beckons for me to wear it, so temptation wins and gives way to temporary elation 

I tend to get maybe 55-65 balls, and do the drill with 20-25 which isn’t enough. 

Every time I video my swing, I can see things will not change until I commit to just doing the drills while subtracting full swings from the mix altogether. 

I will limit myself to just the drills for the next month, then attempt to resume posting video, if things look on the up and up on video to you guys, but it’s difficult to pass on making a full swing. 

The parallel to ground drill should be my biggest focus, since every thing that goes beyond that is a series of unfortunate events

I can go parallel to ground if I go extremely slow, but my face control is absolutely terrible, so I end up going to what feels like a sawed off punch shot, like a Tommy Fleetwood drill, but it actually ends up being as deep as what my full swing ought to  be 

Edited by Drivingrangehero

8 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I think the hard part for me, is going to a driving range with the limited time I have (work + young kids) and then only doing a drill. I feel like Bilbo Baggins carrying the ring in my pocket, while it calls for me to wear it, then temptations give way to temporary elation 

Very fair, I know exactly what you mean. When you're lucky enough to have the ability to make very "different" swings on command you can get away with cheating like this. If however you're really stuck in a particular pattern that you can't seem to change at all then your only real options are grinding out the rewriting of those neural pathways and actually commit to moving differently, or accept that your swing is what it is and not try to work on it. 

The parallel to ground drill should be my biggest focus, since every thing that goes beyond that is a series of unfortunate events

I can go parallel to ground if I go extremely slow, but my face control is absolutely terrible, so I end up going to what feels like a sawed off punch shot, like a Tommy Fleetwood drill, but it actually ends up being as deep as what my full swing out to be 

In all likelihood you're struggling with this because of undeveloped hand/wrist fundamentals which is what the Padraig drill is designed to address. And not just the length of swing, but the way you go about creating it as well which are the feels he describes, particularly from 4:00-5:00 in the linked video. ALL hands and wrists with a narrow stance supported by just a reactionary swinging of the arms and turning of the shoulders. A very firm, long pitch as he says. The inability to hit solid straight shots somewhat consistently within this framework will always be an indication of fundamentals that were never developed, which is the curse of starting this stupid game as an adult.

A full strength adult picking up the golf club for the first time and attempting to make a golf swing is analogous to a toddler being given the strength of that same adult and told to trying running. You're both attempting to do something you don't have any neural pathways for BUT the physical strength to attempt it intuitively. The poison part is that not only is a fundamentally correct golf swing generally quite unintuitive, but the stuff that *is* intuitive is often 180* in the wrong direction from where you want to be. Oftentimes these things are reinforced by bad golf instruction/tips, particularly around the hands and wrists which are so often commented on like they're this inherently problematic thing that should always be neutralized/minimized whenever possible.

That's why the Padraig stuff is great, because he very often cuts straight through the BS in a "no THIS is what you supposed to do" kind of way that is devoid of all the stupid golf cliches.  

• Like 2

Bridgestone 

I agree with everything Valtiel says! If time is limited I recommend using 5 minutes here and there, doing drills without the club. Im a big believer in fixing the body first, so I would work on proper hip rotation and proper shoulder rotation. Very basic stuff. Or the grip or the setup, getting rid off that excessive shaft lean at setup. If you work with small goals like that I think you will enjoy the little practise you have time to do, even more.

• Thanks 1