2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Misses are thin…. Head goes up, and back, losing posture…. Drills?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I'd highly recommend getting yourself a left wrist training aid designed to keep it flat,

😂 I actually had one at one point…… my instructor said the same thing back around 2008, so I bought a type of glove that was supposed to keep my wrist flat……… I still managed to cup it, so I shoved two tees in it, to help make it more rigid. 

I will definitely get an aide, I just need to find a decent one…… I saw an instructor on Twitter (Johnathan Yarwood) that had one that would measure degrees of pronation/supination that you could link to your phone for feedback. It didn’t cause it make it flat, you would have to do that yourself, then look at numbers afterwards, it seemed beneficial ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

and I found a link ⤵️

https://hackmotion.com/

wow, that’s pricey, I wonder if I could get away with something cheaper?

I think I had the swing glove many years ago, which seemed to help, but not sure if it aided in better wrist angles, or the swing changes a golf pro instructed me in did that, but I was getting instruction with the glove on at the time. My swing was a bit different back then, with very little hip movement compared to today 

Gankas GSnap? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Added info

I see one thing I dont like. At setup you have the left shoulder very high. That leads to high shoulder through impact with bad contact. From the top of the swing you want the lead shoulder to move down and then up to create good contact, compression and vertical force. If setup is off it will most likely lead to issues in the swing.

try the tip Monte syggested in the backswing. Just set your wrists without turning! You need to neutralize things in your swing to get the swing more workable.

IMG_6962.jpeg

IMG_6961.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@mizunotpz

Getting my shoulders Square has helped immensely. I FEEL like it causes me to not over swing back and it FEELS easier to route the club properly in my back swing…….. although, I’m still fighting the hitch and wrist angles, even though I FEEL like Jon Rahm with my back swing and wrist, I’m NOT……., 

I used to have more level shoulders and the pro told me to increase the angle on my driver….. I guess I just got comfortable in that position over time, and never noticed the problem, so thanks for the tip! 

The two tips that have really stood out to me and helped me strike the ball consistently better is standing much closer to the ball, and leveling my shoulders at address. I am mitigating the overswing and wrist angles with some success, but my FEEL, vs reality still has a great divide. 

With proper positioning and posture, I don’t FEEL like I am fanning the club wide open in my backswing (even though I wasn’t) to maintain a wrist angle, which would cause me to terribly route the club super steep and OTT. 

Im hitting a small draw now, and flushing many more than I would have expected…….. I will get the occasional shank still 😂, but that’s usually from deviating from proper wrist angles. My misses have been a bit of a pulled draw the past couple days, but I’m making progress…… I’ve only been hitting two clubs, a SW and a 6 iron. The majority are six irons since I’m at a grass range and feel bad ripping huge beaver pelts. 

I still need to reign in some of the overswinging and wrist angles, but I figure that in 2 weeks (I hope) I should be placing myself in a good position to play better golf. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

@mizunotpz

Getting my shoulders Square has helped immensely. I FEEL like it causes me to not over swing back and it FEELS easier to route the club properly in my back swing…….. although, I’m still fighting the hitch and wrist angles, even though I FEEL like Jon Rahm with my back swing and wrist, I’m NOT……., 

I used to have more level shoulders and the pro told me to increase the angle on my driver….. I guess I just got comfortable in that position over time, and never noticed the problem, so thanks for the tip! 

The two tips that have really stood out to me and helped me strike the ball consistently better is standing much closer to the ball, and leveling my shoulders at address. I am mitigating the overswing and wrist angles with some success, but my FEEL, vs reality still has a great divide. 

With proper positioning and posture, I don’t FEEL like I am fanning the club wide open in my backswing (even though I wasn’t) to maintain a wrist angle, which would cause me to terribly route the club super steep and OTT. 

Im hitting a small draw now, and flushing many more than I would have expected…….. I will get the occasional shank still 😂, but that’s usually from deviating from proper wrist angles. My misses have been a bit of a pulled draw the past couple days, but I’m making progress…… I’ve only been hitting two clubs, a SW and a 6 iron. The majority are six irons since I’m at a grass range and feel bad ripping huge beaver pelts. 

I still need to reign in some of the overswinging and wrist angles, but I figure that in 2 weeks (I hope) I should be placing myself in a good position to play better golf. 

Thanks again! 

Good to hear! The shank probably comes from you being over plane in the downswing. Just a guess though. Film next time you train and post here so I can help!

On 3/6/2024 at 6:27 PM, Drivingrangehero said:

@Valtiel @mizunotpz

I was watching a video from an instructor that gets mentioned here a lot and came across this ⤵️

I see myself in this with the over turn and lost wrist angle…….. A good place to start for me, the No Turn, Cast to fix my wrist angles and over turn? 

Doing the backswing like he shows in this video as a drill would help you very much. Then you focus on the wrist hinge only and not onepiece takeaway and all the other things valtiel talked about ie what happens in the last 20% of your backswing. Do this no turn just set the wrists backswing all the time and that way you replace a not so good backswing with a workable instead of trying to mend whats not working! I think that would solve a lot of things! It will feel like very little hipturn but it will be enough! 

What I dont like about the backswing is that you take the club out and you get the right hip too far back. Compare with the other photo: much more upright and composed position. More similar to the backswing Monte recommends. When your hip gets that far back you have to stand up through the shot! You dont want your hip too far back at setup either. Hipbone inline with your ankle!

IMG_7018.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

9 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

Film next time you train and post here so I can help!

Will do, I bought a tripod that just came in. The range I’ve been going to doesn’t have anything to prop up my phone, and I only bring 2 clubs with me

Do this no turn just set the wrists backswing all the time and that way you replace a not so good backswing with a workable instead of trying to mend whats not working!

I do that at the start of my range session with about 10 balls, but I think I’ll get a larger bucket and do more after seeing my backswing still running long with poor wrist control 

you get the right hip too far back.

I think that is being mitigated with keeping my shoulders level, standing “uncomfortably close to the ball”, with  a more narrow stance, and “reducing” my turn, it doesn’t allow for me to sway into a improper weight shift and overrun going back as much, it forces my body to be a bit more erect at address, which feels like I spend a lot more like on my left side, but in a good  way honestly. 

I’m still in the phase where i feel very uneasy, like a type of panic mode in my mind saying “wow this is close, don’t shank it, this has to go right”, but it isn’t, I’m hitting the ball surprisingly well for how uncomfortable I feel over it, while focusing on swing thoughts like……..Aim a little right of the target, because it’s turning left a little, Keep the left shoulder low, into a bowed wrist takeaway, keep your right elbow close,  stay short of parallel 😵‍💫

I'm busy with work, but the next time I hit the range, I will take a couple of videos and post. 

13 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Will do, I bought a tripod that just came in. The range I’ve been going to doesn’t have anything to prop up my phone, and I only bring 2 clubs with me

I do that at the start of my range session with about 10 balls, but I think I’ll get a larger bucket and do more after seeing my backswing still running long with poor wrist control 

I think that is being mitigated with keeping my shoulders level, standing “uncomfortably close to the ball”, with  a more narrow stance, and “reducing” my turn, it doesn’t allow for me to sway into a improper weight shift and overrun going back as much, it forces my body to be a bit more erect at address, which feels like I spend a lot more like on my left side, but in a good  way honestly. 

I’m still in the phase where i feel very uneasy, like a type of panic mode in my mind saying “wow this is close, don’t shank it, this has to go right”, but it isn’t, I’m hitting the ball surprisingly well for how uncomfortable I feel over it, while focusing on swing thoughts like……..Aim a little right of the target, because it’s turning left a little, Keep the left shoulder low, into a bowed wrist takeaway, keep your right elbow close,  stay short of parallel 😵‍💫

I'm busy with work, but the next time I hit the range, I will take a couple of videos and post. 

You stand close at setup to be able to push hip back through impact.

feet needs to be shoulder width.

14 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

You stand close at setup to be able to push hip back through impact.

feet needs to be shoulder width.

if you hit shanks its not cause you stand close its cause your hand path is steep or over plane

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My backswing feels John Rahm short, but I still look like I am going too far back and although my wrist feels bowed, it’s still coming across the line with poor wrist control

This is my attempt of doing the no turn back swing drill 🥴

I need to work on my tripod skills as well 😂 

@Valtiel @mizunotpz I would love to hear your input , so that I may advance and good habits, and avoid bad habits

4 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

My backswing feels John Rahm short, but I still look like I am going too far back and although my wrist feels bowed, it’s still coming across the line with poor wrist control

This is my attempt of doing the no turn back swing drill 🥴

I need to work on my tripod skills as well 😂 

@Valtiel @mizunotpz I would love to hear your input , so that I may advance and good habits, and avoid bad habits

You are definitely trending back in the right direction and this is creeping back into the realm of the "2016 manageable version of this problem" which is good. This is *not* a short backswing at all which is the first thing to hammer home here, but the next hurdle to get over is this:

DrivingRangeHand1.gif.f8000807b756f43ce32b200b283e1579.gif

When it comes to hand path, one of the things you see with *every* single high level player is a fairly linear path created in the backswing. The little bump in takeaway is fine and the general path here is good, the problem is here:

DrivingRangeHand2.gif.a145c663e7c1d829beb8115d0d471fe1.gif

At the very end of the swing your hands move straight left, your left wrist cups further, and the face on view still shows a lower amount of extension in the right hand, well shy of the 65-70* you said you're capable of:

DrivingRangeFO.gif.191f1d23f25388da03d899a9a4e11a07.gif

Note the pitch of your left arm as indicated by the lines and how it sort of "flattens", like someone is pressing down on your arm structure from above. This move at the completion of the backswing is fatal, because literally everything moves in the wrong direction in the critical moment where everything needs to move in the *right* direction to facilitate bringing the club down on plane.

I've seen this one a few times before and it frustrates me because it's hard to explain and harder to give a tip or drill to address it. I think however this might be helpful:

DrivingVTigerLeftSHoulder.gif.18701a2a9a31dbb8b8cd362d8b010a2e.gif

Note how much further Tiger's left shoulder travels here. If/when your arm swing exceeds or gets too disconnected from your shoulder rotation, eventually you run out of range of motion and you'll arrive at the top of your backswing with your arms pinned against an ROM wall. In the case of your left shoulder here, it simply isn't keeping up with your left hand/arm, and as your arm swings further and further you eventually run out of "up" at the end of the backswing and your hands/arms move "back" at the top like I highlighted in the hand path GIF above. When your shoulder lags and you arm extends to far to the end of that ROM you can experience a lot of pressure on the left hand/wrist, especially against the thumb, which can lead to strains and discomfort. Collapsing (extending) the left wrist alleviates this pressure, and because you have extra mobility there it's even easier.

Initially I was going to pressure you to grind on the Faldo Preset drill, maxing out your wrist positions at address and then simply swinging them up and holding them to the top of the swing without letting them change at all. I still think you should do this, but focusing on making sure that your left shoulder gets much more active in turning initially in the backswing, feeling like it stays "connected" to your left hand/arm, will make this easier and help realize the goal of maintaining your wrist conditions at the top.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 11:36 PM, Valtiel said:

This is *not* a short backswing at all which is the first thing to hammer home here, but the next hurdle to get over is this:

I’m going to stop before my arms and wrist collapse into bad positions, with a better shoulder turn, since it’s long enough 

a lower amount of extension in the right hand, well shy of the 65-70* you said you're capable of:

I feel like if I get my right hand underneath more in a “holding a tray” position, my right hand opens up on my grip. I’ll have to take some video of me attempting to do this better

Note the pitch of your left arm as indicated by the lines and how it sort of "flattens", like someone is pressing down on your arm structure from above.

the link you sent me, the instructor talks about having a more shallow back swing to get a more shallow down swing, and my swing when it was more manageable, was shallower going back. I think I will move in that direction. It’s just easier from the start to keep my left shoulder under (deeper) like the Tiger gif, plus it restricts my overswinging of my arms going back, as my left arm is more pinned against my chest, it can’t keep traveling back.

The wrist angles, I’m going to have to work on more, but it seems like the collapse happens late (at the top) , so if I finish earlier, I may be able to maintain a better wrist angle. I’ll start with the Faldo preset, I think that will help. 

I’ll incorporate what you said into my practice and see the divide between feel vs real when I feel like I have those actions down

thanks again! 

Typo, plus Added Faldo

34 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

@Valtiel @mizunotpz

Me doing the Padrig  drill

This is useful because we can start isolating what is and isn't a product of actually trying to make a full power swing, because even here your wrist/arm structure completely breaks down at the "top":

DrivingRangeVScott.gif.4209b1cb40f46f1e939e20393575c65f.gif

You'll need to learn to fix this here before you move on to full swings, because this severe steepening move where the hands go straight left and the clubhead goes right will always be a death move. I recommend rehearsing swings with a mirror so you can start connecting what you feel and what you see, the goal being to get comfortable with what it feels like to maintain a proper continuous and linear hand path up to the top of the swing and avoid this break down. You could swap Adam Scott for any other high level player here and you'd see basically the same thing; no weird hitches or changes in direction, *especially* at the end. If there are changes in direction they are always shallowing moves.

As for the follow up full swings, there is nothing to comment on yet until you can get your head around this problem above, although I will note:

image.png.148b08de4be89d64251610061bd408a0.png

That ball is easily two full balls too far back in your stance. This is where you put it to punch underneath a tree or if you're trying to hit a head-high roping hook around a corner. Attempting a "stock" full shot with the ball this far back is bad news as you'll be forced to hang back and stall rotation and pressure shifting to make contact. Don't put the ball here for stock shots, it will only encourage bad habits. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

1. Ball too far back in stance and relative to that ball position the hands are too far forward causing your left shoulder to go up too high and since it goes high you compensate by moving ball too far back! Try keeping things more neutral. 
2. setup, your hipbone is too far back causing you to stand up, loose hip depth in the downswing.

3. Your arms looks really cramped up, like youre trying to strangle the club with too much arm pressure. 
4. As Vertiel pointed out you need to learn to get rid off that extra move at the top of the backswing. Feel like you push the hands away from you. Part of this is the very late wrist set that very often gets messy at the top!

Good posture and setup is so important in the golfswing!

IMG_7202.jpeg

IMG_7201.png

IMG_7203.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

6 hours ago, Valtiel said:

That ball is easily two full balls too far back in your stance. This is where you put it to punch underneath a tree or if you're trying to hit a head-high roping hook around a corner.

yes, I’m definitely compensating. When I had it more forward like I normally would, I was hitting pull hooks

i think I’m going to invest in the hackmotion device, since I don’t feel the cupping at all, and some feedback may train me to be aware of what’s going on. 

practicing in the mirror at night after reading your post, I tried to go to the extreme like DJ and it was far from bowed, the only way i could maintain my wrist angle to be flat, or even slightly bowed, is to set my wristcock right from the start, which felt so odd, that I’m not even sure if I’d hit the ball. It made my arms FEEL way behind me with the club face slammed shut 🤔 

I definitely have some work ahead of me 🥵 

8 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

the hands are too far forward causing your left shoulder to go up too high and since it goes high you compensate by moving ball too far back! Try keeping things more neutral. 

I was attempting to keep my hands in front of the club head, like one of the videos that was posted. I thought a forward press would help me achieve this, but didn’t realize the negatives that came about from doing this 

your hipbone is too far back causing you to stand up, loose hip depth in the downswing.

Thanks, that was something my past instructor would tell me as well..I’ll have to figure out what’s right, because my correction usually makes me FEEL like I’m falling forward in my swing. I may be doing this subconsciously, since I’m standing closer to the ball

Feel like you push the hands away from you.

Hmm. Can you elaborate please? 

My FEELS at the moment are plentiful due to attempting change

1. Stand closer to the ball

2. keep arms tucked closer to the body (armpits)

3. FEEL and Lead with your wrist (left) break wrist early to start swing from forward press

4. Get deep with your shoulder (like Tiger gif in thread) and come back more flat (shallow) 

5. 3/4 back swing, FEEL left wrist flat/bowed……. Obviously my FEEL isn’t Real 😒 

6. Right Arm holding a tray! 

So, I got a lot more going on than I’d like, but at the same time, I think it’s important to sync everything together, rather than just implementing one thing at a time…… I am now thinking (like @Valtiel mentioned) there needs to be one thing that needs the utmost attention, and if that isn’t corrected, then all other changes are moot, so I need to reel in that left wrist if mine……… how to do this, I’m finding, is a lot harder than just conceptualizing it, and executing. 

I think I can maintain a flat wrist angle, as I have managed to a lot better as seen from of the Rapsodo, my problem from there is, that I FEEL like I’m fanning the club wide open, then once I get back there, I don’t know how to come down, …….. I just FEEL like my only move is to GO LEFT with my arms and turn to attempt a fade, but it’s a huge, steep, OTT, hack at the ball. I’m completely lost in transition from there 🤔 

I think if I could at least straighten the wrist issue out, while doing the No Turn drill, I may be able to step in the right direction. 

Thanks again guys for all your input. 

Every time I try fixing things incrementally on my own,  it’s a disaster. 

6 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I was attempting to keep my hands in front of the club head, like one of the videos that was posted. I thought a forward press would help me achieve this, but didn’t realize the negatives that came about from doing this 

Thanks, that was something my past instructor would tell me as well..I’ll have to figure out what’s right, because my correction usually makes me FEEL like I’m falling forward in my swing. I may be doing this subconsciously, since I’m standing closer to the ball

Hmm. Can you elaborate please? 

My FEELS at the moment are plentiful due to attempting change

1. Stand closer to the ball

2. keep arms tucked closer to the body (armpits)

3. FEEL and Lead with your wrist (left) break wrist early to start swing from forward press

4. Get deep with your shoulder (like Tiger gif in thread) and come back more flat (shallow) 

5. 3/4 back swing, FEEL left wrist flat/bowed……. Obviously my FEEL isn’t Real 😒 

6. Right Arm holding a tray! 

So, I got a lot more going on than I’d like, but at the same time, I think it’s important to sync everything together, rather than just implementing one thing at a time…… I am now thinking (like @Valtiel mentioned) there needs to be one thing that needs the utmost attention, and if that isn’t corrected, then all other changes are moot, so I need to reel in that left wrist if mine……… how to do this, I’m finding, is a lot harder than just conceptualizing it, and executing. 

I think I can maintain a flat wrist angle, as I have managed to a lot better as seen from of the Rapsodo, my problem from there is, that I FEEL like I’m fanning the club wide open, then once I get back there, I don’t know how to come down, …….. I just FEEL like my only move is to GO LEFT with my arms and turn to attempt a fade, but it’s a huge, steep, OTT, hack at the ball. I’m completely lost in transition from there 🤔 

I think if I could at least straighten the wrist issue out, while doing the No Turn drill, I may be able to step in the right direction. 

Thanks again guys for all your input. 

Every time I try fixing things incrementally on my own,  it’s a disaster. 

No not a disaster at all. Thats the negative part of helping people with their swing, you focus on whats not good. If I had shown up on a course somewhere and you were my playing partner that day I wouldve think ok he is a good golfer. On the course its all about where the ball goes, not making textbook swings.

Im a big believed in good fundamentals. Next time you practise I wouldnt focus on the wrist or all the other stuff. I would start with good setup, good grip. The handle a touch infront of the ball. Ball middle of the stance, use a stick. Take the club back like Monte say: no turn, just set the wrists. Cause all of this other stuff is a result of bad fundamentals. So you have to fix all this first. Your arms and hands reacts to the body and if body not working right youre in trouble. This is the best advice I can give you. Its pretty amazing that coaches who work on tour spend the majority of their time adjusting posture, grip, easy stuff! Good Luck my friend!

36 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

Next time you practise I wouldnt focus on the wrist or all the other stuff. I would start with good setup, good grip.

I feel like my wrist angles have been a constant battle ever since changing my grip from weak left, to strong left. 

My prior instructor said my grip was “much too weak in the left hand, and a little weak right” but that was years after being told the opposite since I originally gripped the Club like Azinger (but Vardon instead of interlock) He said o should see at least 2 knuckles, 3 was better and even had me mark them on my glove, but I was comfortable with a weak left hand, it helped with wrist angles and controlling the club face (more neutral, less draw/hook tendencies) 

Do you think that is worth exploring?

I’m comfortable now with a stronger grip, but I feel like I could go weak left without issue, plus have a better chance of controlling my wrist angles 🤔 

24 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I feel like my wrist angles have been a constant battle ever since changing my grip from weak left, to strong left. 

My prior instructor said my grip was “much too weak in the left hand, and a little weak right” but that was years after being told the opposite since I originally gripped the Club like Azinger (but Vardon instead of interlock) He said o should see at least 2 knuckles, 3 was better and even had me mark them on my glove, but I was comfortable with a weak left hand, it helped with wrist angles and controlling the club face (more neutral, less draw/hook tendencies) 

Do you think that is worth exploring?

I’m comfortable now with a stronger grip, but I feel like I could go weak left without issue, plus have a better chance of controlling my wrist angles 🤔 

I would advice a 2.5 knuckle grip. You have a little flip release tendency so a too weak grip is not ideal. I would also relax the left arm at setup. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

yes, I’m definitely compensating. When I had it more forward like I normally would, I was hitting pull hooks

Don't ever compromise a fundamental like ball position because you're hitting bad shots. If the ball is in a neutral spot and the shots aren't then it isn't the ball positions fault, and all changing that will do is encourage you to continue what is *actually* at fault, thereby not fixing it, while also encouraging a bad fundamental. You actively make yourself worse and lengthen or even undo improvements by casually making changes like this, so keep an eye on that. If you or the ball are not positioned "correctly" in a fundamental sense, which is to say you move something far enough out of bounds like your ball position above, then everything you do to hit the ball from here will further encourage bad movement patterns and hurt your progress. 

practicing in the mirror at night after reading your post, I tried to go to the extreme like DJ and it was far from bowed, the only way i could maintain my wrist angle to be flat, or even slightly bowed, is to set my wristcock right from the start, which felt so odd, that I’m not even sure if I’d hit the ball. It made my arms FEEL way behind me with the club face slammed shut 🤔 

If you can, please take some video of the swings you're making in the mirror so we can see what exaggerated moves you're attempting, because I can almost guarantee that you aren't doing what you think you are or potentially are missing something else entirely. The fact that something you tried "felt so odd" is good, and as we've heard Monte say a million times it is the sign that you're doing something *different*, which is what we want.

The bitter pill that needs to be swallowed here is that your "feel" is not an effective barometer for "good or bad" at this stage, because if it were then you'd be feeling how badly your backswing breaks down at the top and you'd have been able to change it by now. If something "felt so odd that I’m not even sure if I’d hit the ball" then that has to be put through the George Costanza Decoder Ring so to speak that takes into account the fact that your feel/instincts got you to place of several very bad fundamentals, and therefore anything that "feels wrong" should be treated for exactly what it is; something different than what you're currently doing which therefore has the potential to be the change you need to make. I'd be curious exactly what the "set my wristcock right from the start" actually looks like in this case too, so please get some video of that as well. If we can get you rehearsing correctly then you stand a better chance at taking those rehearsals to your real swing. 

4 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

Im a big believed in good fundamentals. Next time you practise I wouldnt focus on the wrist or all the other stuff. I would start with good setup, good grip. The handle a touch infront of the ball. Ball middle of the stance, use a stick. 

On paper this is fine and generally good advice, but the only thing I disagree with here is that when your "default" is wrong, i.e. the moves you make without really thinking about them, then no amount of "don't try to focus on anything, just setup correctly and let the correct stuff just 'happen'" will be of much help. You have to consciously work your way out of the holes you've unconsciously dug for yourself, and gaining awareness of how, when, and why these problems occur is the very conscious work that needs to be done.  

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Bridgestone 

If you or the ball are not positioned "correctly" in a fundamental sense, which is to say you move something far enough out of bounds like your ball position above, then everything you do to hit the ball from here will further encourage bad movement patterns and hurt your progress. 

Noted, it makes sense 

If you can, please take some video of the swings you're making in the mirror

I can only get my top half in the mirror, (waist up) since it’s above a media center, and that is the only room with high enough ceilings, so the mirror view will have an obstruction….. TV, DVD, Cable, internet….etc

If I try to be like DJ, I’m lost at the top and it feels very awkward, plus I feel like I’m going too far back behind me. 

If I try to do like I did previously in some of the Rapsodo post from the fall of 2023, then I feel like I’m fanning the club open, and have no idea how to transition into an inside out/shallow down swing, it’s just a steep OTT hack, so any advice would be welcome

Thanks again! 

@Valtiel @mizunotpzMirror practice in the house…….. it’s the only place where there is a mirror, but it’s tight, so I have my wife’s 6i which is PW length. 

I usually practice swing in another area, but no mirror 

BTW my swing didn’t feel that long, I was shocked to see I was coming that far back, also, I feel like I’m picking the club up, almost like a terrible version of Freddy Couples ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

And yes, on the door, that is a pin the nose on Voldemort (from Harry Potter) we made for my daughters 7th birthday last week 😂