2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What other course should I play in the Pebble area?..

I'm planning a trip in early April to celebrate a birthday.  Unfortunately Pebble is booked for the time I'm staying so I've opted for Spyglass and Spanish Bay instead.  I've played Spy several years ago so will play that one for sure.  Is there any other great course in the area that I should sub out for Spanish?    I was hoping to somehow get on MPCC or Cypress, but we all know that won't happen. 

For anyone else visiting the area at that time, I was told they will be punching greens at all the Pebble courses in late March.

Thank you,

Pacific Grove's back nine is an overlooked gem, with a links feel and Monterey Bay views from holes 11-17. The front nine is wonky, but if you have a half day free, the back at PG is worth it, especially given the greens fees of around $65 for 18. I would not sub PG for Spanish Bay, but if you can add it on, it's fun.

Pasatiempo is further up the coast; not sure their status right now, as they're renovating one of the nines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kekoa said:

I'm planning a trip in early April to celebrate a birthday.  Unfortunately Pebble is booked for the time I'm staying so I've opted for Spyglass and Spanish Bay instead.  I've played Spy several years ago so will play that one for sure.  Is there any other great course in the area that I should sub out for Spanish?    I was hoping to somehow get on MPCC or Cypress, but we all know that won't happen. 

For anyone else visiting the area at that time, I was told they will be punching greens at all the Pebble courses in late March.

Thank you,

Hands down Pasatiempo would be the choice if you can get there before April 12th.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

17 hours ago, kekoa said:

Thank you,

Haha, I’m still waiting for my brother-in-law to get full membership status at MPCC in the hopes next time we visit out there I might be able to be his guest!  I did hit a couple wedges on their range late one evening, haha and we were able to be hosted for some wood fired pizza at their outdoor eating area. Pretty cool place. 

On 2/27/2024 at 11:31 AM, goaliedad30 said:

Pacific Grove's back nine is an overlooked gem, with a links feel and Monterey Bay views from holes 11-17. The front nine is wonky, but if you have a half day free, the back at PG is worth it, especially given the greens fees of around $65 for 18. I would not sub PG for Spanish Bay, but if you can add it on, it's fun.

Pasatiempo is further up the coast; not sure their status right now, as they're renovating one of the nines.

+1 on Pacific Grove. My wife loved it when we played it 3 times in September. It’s short & quirky but I had a blast. My wife told me to play Pebble for my 60th birthday and I played Pacific Grove w her instead.

If you can’t get on Pasatiempo do it!  It’s in my top 5 world wide. I can’t wait to play it again next year after the greens are restored. I’m sure it’s pretty booked up because they are shutting down 9 after the college tournament but it is a special place and worth whatever they are charging. 

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

1 hour ago, Mullenboy said:

Lodge is not worth $400 more than SB, in my opinion.  It is nicer and more convenient to what you'll be doing but not $400 nicer.  🙂

The Lodge remodels have improved the "nice" factor quite a bit.  To each their own, but the Lodge to me is worth quite a bit more than $400 compared to SB.  The wife runs the course in the morning before play starts, walking distance to the spa, shops, and restaurants.  sitting on the balcony watching the play on 18.  I doubt my wife would even want to go if we stayed at SB again.

Easier to find your room (after a night of drinks) in the lodge than SB!  SB is laid out like the Winchester Mystery House!

But both are nice accomodations.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

The extra $400 isn’t worth staying at the Lodge. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, vallygolf said:

The Lodge remodels have improved the "nice" factor quite a bit.  To each their own, but the Lodge to me is worth quite a bit more than $400 compared to SB.  The wife runs the course in the morning before play starts, walking distance to the spa, shops, and restaurants.  sitting on the balcony watching the play on 18.  I doubt my wife would even want to go if we stayed at SB again.

Yes the rep said they just recently revamped certain rooms at the lodge.  The added convenience of the lodge has me leaning that way.  Appears its a 20 min shuttle ride from SB to PB and the range is on the PB side. 

13 hours ago, kekoa said:

Yes the rep said they just recently revamped certain rooms at the lodge.  The added convenience of the lodge has me leaning that way.  Appears its a 20 min shuttle ride from SB to PB and the range is on the PB side. 

The shuttles are very reliable at being on time, but they  only run every half hour.  It takes some time to get from place to place.  

On 2/27/2024 at 11:25 AM, kekoa said:

Thank you,

If you want to make your trip Unforgettable, try to request the "caddie_whisperer." His fees are higher than normal, but he'll capture amazing videos & it's totally worth it. Check out his IG page & happy clients. I've played Pebble & Spanish Bay half a dozen times, but having him made it seem like a new course. We had him last Nov & it was an amazing experience. https://www.instagram.com/caddie_whisperer/

As mentioned to each their own, my wife and I prefer Spanish Bay with an ocean view room overlooking #1 fairway and the ocean. SB has also been renovated and we've stayed so many times that we are always able to get an early morning check-in which is really nice as the normal check-in is 4 I believe. At SB, we enjoy eating at Roy's, Peppoli, Sticks and we always have some great wine at Staves Wine Cellar at SB. There's also fire pits to enjoy drinks and the views not to mention the Bagpiper. Not that we don't like Pebble we do, we eat at Stillwater's Bar and Grill, The Tap Room and we know severs at both restaurants. There's also the Bench and the Gallery Cafe as well as PB Market.

At the Lodge you should visit Golf Links To The Past as they have fantastic golf memorabilia and Chris is really nice at the store.

We always drive to Pebble as we only live ~1hr. 20 min. away and it's easy for us to drive back and forth between the two resorts and it's only 13 min. The reason that the shuttle takes longer is that they always stop at Spyglass. SB has lots of self parking and you can use the pool, tennis courts and fitness center if you like.

One thing that most guests at the Pebble resorts don't know is that as a guest you have access to the private Beach & Tennis Club and they have a dining room with magnificent views of Stillwater Cove and the 17th at Pebble. The dining room is only open from 11:30 - 2:30

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aloha b. said:

As mentioned to each their own, my wife and I prefer Spanish Bay with an ocean view room overlooking #1 fairway and the ocean. SB has also been renovated and we've stayed so many times that we are always able to get an early morning check-in which is really nice as the normal check-in is 4 I believe. At SB, we enjoy eating at Roy's, Peppoli, Sticks and we always have some great wine at Staves Wine Cellar at SB. There's also fire pits to enjoy drinks and the views not to mention the Bagpiper. Not that we don't like Pebble we do, we eat at Stillwater's Bar and Grill, The Tap Room and we know severs at both restaurants. There's also the Bench and the Gallery Cafe as well as PB Market.

At the Lodge you should visit Golf Links To The Past as they have fantastic golf memorabilia and Chris is really nice at the store.

We always drive to Pebble as we only live ~1hr. 20 min. away and it's easy for us to drive back and forth between the two resorts and it's only 13 min. The reason that the shuttle takes longer is that they always stop at Spyglass. SB has lots of self parking and you can use the pool, tennis courts and fitness center if you like.

One thing that most guests at the Pebble resorts don't know is that as a guest you have access to the private Beach & Tennis Club and they have a dining room with magnificent views of Stillwater Cove and the 17th at Pebble. The dining room is only open from 11:30 - 2:30

thanks @aloha b.

I will definitely stay at SB next time around.  Appreciate the tip on private beach as well.  I just hope the weather cooperates.  

On 3/6/2024 at 11:38 AM, golferdad8 said:

If you want to make your trip Unforgettable, try to request the "caddie_whisperer." His fees are higher than normal, but he'll capture amazing videos & it's totally worth it. Check out his IG page & happy clients. I've played Pebble & Spanish Bay half a dozen times, but having him made it seem like a new course. We had him last Nov & it was an amazing experience. https://www.instagram.com/caddie_whisperer/

Hey @golferdad8.  I reached out to this guy on ig and he seems very nice.  The price seems about $200 more than other guys but may be well worth it if he captures pics and videos for me 🤣

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, carrera said:

Easier to find your room (after a night of drinks) in the lodge than SB!  SB is laid out like the Winchester Mystery House!

But both are nice accomodations.

Haha!  Spot on. I’ve stayed at The Lodge and SB, and yeah, what a confusing endless amount of hallways that lead to anywhere except to where you need to be at SB!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kekoa said:

Hey @golferdad8.  I reached out to this guy on ig and he seems very nice.  The price seems about $200 more than other guys but may be well worth it if he captures pics and videos for me 🤣

My initial hesitation went away after the first hole, and in fact after I saw his videos that he captured AND edited, my family & I were so grateful I sent more $ 🙂

If you can't get on Pasa, Poppy Hills is absolutely worth playing.  It's inland, and def. a bit different than PB/Spy/SB... I was pleasantly surprised by how good I thought it was last time I was there

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

On 3/10/2024 at 6:35 AM, golferdad8 said:

My initial hesitation went away after the first hole, and in fact after I saw his videos that he captured AND edited, my family & I were so grateful I sent more $ 🙂

Just an observation.  Does he do all the commentary during the edit or is there constant banter during the round?

Also, he mentioned that he normally drives a cart with two bags and brings clubs out as we walk.  Is that accurate?

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

Just an observation.  Does he do all the commentary during the edit or is there constant banter during the round?

Also, he mentioned that he normally drives a cart with two bags and brings clubs out as we walk.  Is that accurate?

He does talk (whisper) some during the round, but a good chunk of it was edited with voice over after the round. 

Check out some of his youtube videos & you will hear the difference. 

As for cart, he did have the bags on them & brought out clubs. It worked out well as he had plenty of energy & enthusiasm and we were all able to walk the course and enjoy the awesome views. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Pebble yesterday.  Overall, it was a great trip.  Especially the weather.  

We arrived Sunday afternoon and played a quick 9 at the Hay.  Fun little course, but can't say it was worth the $75 adult green fees.  I think I paid $55 since they had recently punched.  Great deal for YOC members at $5.  It was great to see all the families out playing.

On Monday we had a 11:40 tee time at Pebble and could not complain at all about the round.  It took about 5 hrs to play and we got paired with a very nice father/son.  Pebble was punched about 8 days prior to us playing, but greens rolled pretty well.  Very trick to put any type of spin on the ball though.

Tuesday we had a 9:20 tee time at Spyglass.  Really enjoyed the range there, but unfortunately it was mats only.   The layout of the course is spectacular, but the over sanding ruined the entire experience for me.  I knew beforehand that they were punching but had no idea they punched fairways as well and laid a ton of sand everywhere that morning.  Here is a quick pic of the tee box conditions and the greens were even worse.   It mad sense why I didn't see many groups out there. 

Next time, I definitely want to go play at another time once both courses are in tip top condition.

spy.jpg

• Like 2