2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ko Olina Golf Club--WITH PICS!

pitbull808

A little something to warm all you folks up!
Today, I along with Russ/ PM Hacker and Keola/ Lo_Pro_Hitta66 started off our day with a round of golf at Ko Olina Golf Club. Ko Olina is located on the west side of Oahu. It's about a twenty-five mile drive for me from downtown Honolulu and took me about twenty minutes to get there.

Ko Olina will be the sight of the first LPGA Fields Open in February. From the tips Ko Olina plays at 6867yards and has a course rating of 72.3 and a slope of 135.

I wanted to warm up everyone who is stuck in the colder regions so I managed to take a few photos. It was a beautiful 81* by the time the sun came up. Nothing better then playing one our final rounds of 2005 at a great looking course. Too bad we all managed to hack the ball everywhere we shouldn't have been! :dntknw: The course was playing pretty easy with barely any tradewinds. The greens were very receptive but also a tad bit on the slow side. I guess all greens are receptive when you're chipping on half the time! :drinks:

Anyway...enough writing...here are the pictures. I hope it warms everyone up! Have a safe and happy holidays! ALOHA!

6:15am at the front entrance of Ko Olina Golf Club
001.jpg

6:45am at the putting green and driving range. Nike was going to hold a demo day later when the sun came up.
004.jpg
005.jpg

7am and the sun is finally rising on the 1st hole/ Par 5/ 518 yards
006.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005007.jpg

2nd Hole/ Par 4/ 412 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005008.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005010.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005009.jpg

3rd Hole/ Par 4/ 362 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005011.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005012.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005013.jpg

4th Hole/ Par 3/ 203 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005014.jpg

5th Hole/ Par 5/ 528 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005016.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005017.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005018.jpg

6th Hole/ Par 4/ 373 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005019.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005020.jpg

7th Hole/ Par 4/ 444 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005021.jpg
Harbor alongside the 7th fairway
KoOlinaDecember192005022.jpg

8th Hole/ Par 3/ 195 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005023.jpg

9th Hole/ Par 4/ 438 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005025.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005026.jpg

10th Hole/ Par 4/ 413 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005027.jpg

11th Hole/ Par 4/ 407 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005029.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005030.jpg

12th Hole/ Par 3/ 166 yards.....tunnel & waterfall to go through to get to the tee and some other nice ponds and black swans
KoOlinaDecember192005034.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005035.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005036.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005037.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005038.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005042.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005039.jpg

13th Hole/ Par 5/ 514 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005047.jpg

14th Hole/ Par 5/ 516 yards.
KoOlinaDecember192005048.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005049.jpg

15th Hole Par 4/ 353 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005050.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005051.jpg

16th Hole Par 3/ 227 yards

KoOlinaDecember192005055.jpg

17th Hole Par 4/ 353 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005056.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005057.jpg

18th Hole Par 4/ 428 yards
KoOlinaDecember192005065.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005066.jpg
KoOlinaDecember192005070.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great pictures, must be nice not to see any white stuff. I'm stuck in 4 plus feet of snow, but we did have a heat wave today a high of 19 degrees.

Question what does it cost to play?

Have a great Holiday!!

Glad you guys are liking the pics. As for price....we locals paid $70 which is pretty high for us compared to most other courses. I'm not sure of what the price is for tourist, but I wouldn't doubt it's over $150.

Hopefully, we'll play the Palmer Course @Turtle Bay Resort for our Inaugural Round of 2006 since I've already booked a tee time. I hope our scores are a lot lower than @Ko'Olina GC. Speaking of which, I got to get my butt to the driving range early this morning. :dntknw:

Yes buddy...hopefully they'll be better at the Palmer. Don't practice too hard...we should be able to go low easily on Monday if we just use a little brain work instead of trying to out muscle the course! :drinks:

I'm really glad you're all liking the pictures. It makes it all worthwhile...taking, resizing and posting them. If you've never attempted playing a round of golf and also taking the pics at the same time, it's hard to stay mentally in the game.

Blade..I love that sun picture too. I've got it as my wallpaper too. Kazt, you're right the Kamaaina rate it great but even at $70 it's really high compared to the many other courses and options we have. John....with all the snow you've been in...you were my inspiration to go out and take the pics! :)

Wait till next year and Russ/Pm Hacker. Keola/lo_pro_hitta and I will be at the Turtle Bay/Palmer Course. Site of an LPGA and Champions tournaments. We've got our tee time set up and will be out there just before they have the tournament. :cheesy:

"Glad you guys are liking the pics! I hope it brought some sunshine into your dreary winter days!

Nick...I didn't know we had a "Trojan" on board! "

Yep - even worked on the Trojan Times, school newspaper.

I only made the tournament squad once or twice --- plus our best player was a girl (Lisa --- can't remember her last night, sorry).

I was around when the Lee brothers were the best juniors --- Regan was one of 'em.

"Glad you guys are liking the pics! I hope it brought some sunshine into your dreary winter days!

Nick...I didn't know we had a "Trojan" on board! "

Yep - even worked on the Trojan Times, school newspaper.

I only made the tournament squad once or twice --- plus our best player was a girl (Lisa --- can't remember her last night, sorry).

I was around when the Lee brothers were the best juniors --- Regan was one of 'em.

Nick, okay...I figured out your time frame. One of the members here at Golfwrx is good friends with Regan. I just know of him. I was from the older days and the guys you may/may not remember. The guys I played with who are now local Pro's were Beau Yokomoto, Phil Chun, Shane Abe, Brandon Moynahan. Probably the better known older guys were Don Hurter now more known for his teaching in Colorado, Greg Meyer of the JPGA.

Nice to have you here! :)

Nick, okay...I figured out your time frame. One of the members here at Golfwrx is good friends with Regan. I just know of him. I was from the older days and the guys you may/may not remember. The guys I played with who are now local Pro's were Beau Yokomoto, Phil Chun, Shane Abe, Brandon Moynahan. Probably the better known older guys were Don Hurter now more known for his teaching in Colorado, Greg Meyer of the JPGA.

Nice to have you here! :)

I enjoyed my years in the islands, and certainly welcome the opportunity to reminisce and see what's up now.

Greg Meyer and David Ishii were the biggest names I remember.

There was also a younger local --- big fella --- whose family was prominent in Hawaii golf. I think at the time (89-91) he was attempting to go pro (either Japan or mainland). The last name escapes me. I just remember how big the sumbiskit was and how far he could pound it.

My wife would love to visit Hawaii (doesn't everyone) --- maybe I can swing it for the 20th high school reunion.

Damn I'm old.

Great pics...they really make me sick now seeing what I missed out on.I was sopposed to play there a few years ago when visiting my cousin...he set it up for me to play for free as a friend was going to get me out and all I had to do was buy the guy a few beers...turns out we stayed out all night drinking and I never made it there to play..I woke up in the morning and it was pouring rain and went back to bed but where the course was I didn't rain at all.

I enjoyed my years in the islands, and certainly welcome the opportunity to reminisce and see what's up now.

Greg Meyer and David Ishii were the biggest names I remember.

There was also a younger local --- big fella --- whose family was prominent in Hawaii golf. I think at the time (89-91) he was attempting to go pro (either Japan or mainland). The last name escapes me. I just remember how big the sumbiskit was and how far he could pound it.

My wife would love to visit Hawaii (doesn't everyone) --- maybe I can swing it for the 20th high school reunion.

Damn I'm old.

Nick, you're not getting old because I had my 20th two years ago. :) I grew up playing with Greg and stayed with his family when I played the Big Island. As for David...he watched me grow up. He was one of my teachers and I also worked with him at Pearl CC for the summer. I remember once at the Pearl driving range, I was hitting a persimmon Joe Powell driver that I had just picked up. I was hitting it like crap and David noticed. He came up to me and asked what was the problem. I told him it was a new driver and it was crappy. David grabbed it from me stepped up and teed a ball up. He proceeded to hit it over the driving range and onto the 17th hole fairway. He did this again three more times. He gave a smirk and handed the driver back to me saying..."Hmm...works okay." I laughed my butt off. For a skinny guy he sure could pound the ball. Which is probably one of the reasons he was so successful on the JPGA and also won the Sony Open.

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this thread to say "Thanks for the pictures"!! Looking at each one brought back exact memories of my round there a couple of months ago.

#8 & #18 were my favorites. 8 is great because you can go for the green over water, or take the safe route and punch it along the right side. True risk/reward.

18 is fantastic because you have two very hard golf shots to avoid the water, and your approach will most likely be in front of a "gallery" at Roy's restaurant.

Truly a great course, I'll play there again on my next visit.

Thanks again!!