2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Precision Rifle Flighted Shaft Identification Help!

Ezekial

Looking at these shafts, new old stock, Rifle Flighted shafts. Seller states nothing has been cut and these are .370 tip, I’ve asked for a photo of the shaft code but haven’t heard back at all. 
My question being if they’re uncut shouldn’t all the graphics on the shaft near the tip section align? Wouldn’t the shafts be all the same length? Thinking these are possibly .355 taper instead? Am I correct ?

IMG_2958.jpeg

Edited by Ezekial

23 minutes ago, Ezekial said:

Looking at these shafts, new old stock, Rifle Flighted shafts. Seller states nothing has been cut and these are .370 tip, I’ve asked for a photo of the shaft code but haven’t heard back at all. 
My question being if they’re uncut shouldn’t all the graphics on the shaft near the top section align? Wouldn’t the shafts be all the same length? Thinking these are possibly .355 taper instead? Am I correct ?

IMG_2958.png

I have an old set of 5.5 FCM Flighted shafts and they are .355, I was under the impression that the flighted shafts were all .355.  My shaft labels line up from the grip side, not the tip.  The labels for the flighted set are gold colored.  I think that the labels were supplied not installed so they could go on anywhere

I have a standard (non flighted) FCM Rifle shaft that is .370 with a blue label.  It's been a long time since I obtained these and I'm going off of memory but as I recall the flighted only came in .355.

Hopefully one of our experts sees this and verifies one way or the other.  Calling @Stuart_G and @Howard_Jones 

Edited by bekgolf

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 minutes ago, Ezekial said:

I’m referencing the circled area, I was under the idea 370 shaft set were essentially all just the same shaft but then tipped accordingly to iron and then butt trimmed to length, so if these were completely uncut would the circled area align unless they are actually.355 tapers? 

IMG_2958.jpeg

My .355 flighted shafts don't have printing there.  The non flighted .370 version has small black text.  Keep in mind these are pre Project X.

• Ezekial changed the title to Precision Rifle Flighted Shaft Identification Help!

So I just bought this exact set from the same seller. He has quite a few left. Of course I thought to research after I made the purchase 🤦🏼‍♂️.. and stumbled into this thread.

The presumed factory labels on the shafts do say "Rifle Flighted" and these appear to have been for a Cleveland set which Cleveland did use these in various models. I'm not sure which model belongs to #189648 though. Additionally each shaft is labeled with its specific assigned iron. 

Whether or not these are truly .370 as stated in the post, that's TBD when I get them. Luckily I'm installing them in clubs with a universal hosel so that's not an issue for me. I did have a set of these in .370 that came with some Callaway RAZR X MB's a few years ago. I confirmed with callipers. The tips on these appear to be clean and not cut or prepped. The sticker looks silver though and not gold but that could be an option for the club company? 

As of now I'm trusting that these are legit. For $75/set out of CA I thinks the risks are relatively low. 

Screenshot_20240329_193104_Chrome.jpg.c7ad7a576a0a640698d7ed657f9c1c2f.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_193113_Chrome.jpg.8ce06520564db668c03b936db1c6af23.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_194123_Chrome.jpg.0f94d1fff81187dc91659fa2a3aa04cd.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I have an old set of 5.5 FCM Flighted shafts and they are .355, I was under the impression that the flighted shafts were all .355.  My shaft labels line up from the grip side, not the tip.  The labels for the flighted set are gold colored.  I think that the labels were supplied not installed so they could go on anywhere

I have a standard (non flighted) FCM Rifle shaft that is .370 with a blue label.  It's been a long time since I obtained these and I'm going off of memory but as I recall the flighted only came in .355.

Hopefully one of our experts sees this and verifies one way or the other.  Calling @Stuart_G and @Howard_Jones 

The Flighted DEFINITELY also came in .370.  The first set of clubs I ever made were Golfsmith Tour Cavity (.370) with those Rifle Flighted.  Ahh, the good ole days, lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ezekial said:

My question being if they’re uncut shouldn’t all the graphics on the shaft near the tip section align? Wouldn’t the shafts be all the same length? Thinking these are possibly .355 taper instead? Am I correct ?

IMG_2958.jpeg

RIFLE FCM came as both 0.370 parallel. and 0.355 Tapers, both pre-cut tip side as discrete length.
Gold color labels = Made by Royal Precision
Blue color labels = Made by True Temper

Rifle - Parallel Tip
URIFM40 Rifle 4.0 Parallel
URIFM45 Rifle 4.5 Parallel
URIFM50 Rifle 5.0 Parallel
URIFM55 Rifle 5.5 Parallel
URIFM60 Rifle 6.0 Parallel
URIFM65 Rifle 6.5 Parallel
URIFM70 Rifle 7.0 Parallel

Rifle - Taper Tip
RIFM40 Rifle 4.0 Taper
RIFM45 Rifle 4.5 Taper
RIFM50 Rifle 5.0 Taper
RIFM55 Rifle 5.5 Taper
RIFM60 Rifle 6.0 Taper
RIFM65 Rifle 6.5 Taper
RIFM70 Rifle 7.0 Taper

Rifle Flighted - Parallel Tip
URIFMF40 Rifle Flighted 4.0 Parallel
URIFMF45 Rifle Flighted 4.5 Parallel
URIFMF50 Rifle Flighted 5.0 Parallel
URIFMF55 Rifle Flighted 5.5 Parallel
URIFMF60 Rifle Flighted 6.0 Parallel
URIFMF65 Rifle Flighted 6.5 Parallel
URIFMF70 Rifle Flighted 7.0 Parallel

Rifle Flighted - Taper Tip
RIFMF40 Rifle Flighted 4.0 Taper
RIFMF45 Rifle Flighted 4.5 Taper
RIFMF50 Rifle Flighted 5.0 Taper
RIFMF55 Rifle Flighted 5.5 Taper
RIFMF60 Rifle Flighted 6.0 Taper
RIFMF65 Rifle Flighted 6.5 Taper
RIFMF70 Rifle Flighted 7.0 Taper

Rifle Spinner - Parallel
URSWE145 Rifle Spinner 4.5 Parallel
URSWE150 Rifle Spinner 5.0 Parallel
URSWE155 Rifle Spinner 5.5 Parallel
URSWE160 Rifle Spinner 6.0 Parallel
URSWE165 Rifle Spinner 6.5 Parallel

Rifle Spinner - Taper
RSWE145 Rifle Spinner 4.5 Taper
RSWE150 Rifle Spinner 5.0 Taper
RSWE155 Rifle Spinner 5.5 Taper
RSWE160 Rifle Spinner 6.0 Taper
RSWE165 Rifle Spinner 6.5 Taper  

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

1 hour ago, Ezekial said:

The seller sent me a photo of the shaft code but it’s nothing I can find info on or recognize based off past experience.

I may still take a chance and if need be ream out my irons to accommodate if they are in fact .370

IMG_2962.jpeg

Thats a RIFLE FCM TOUR VAN BLANK
- they are 44.00" long uncut - Tip - 0.370" - 10.00"

if thats the shafts, you might need my help for tip trim calc, it all depend what you like to make of them

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ezekial said:

Thank you! The 44 inch admittedly through me off which led me to think these are .370 but tip trimmed to accommodate the appropriate iron already. Hence the varying placement of the screened on graphic near the tip. 

So that screen code comes from a set thats PRE-CUT?

Then they are most likely tip trimmed to RIFLE FCM standard hosel specs.

BLANK for 4.0 and 4.5 has a "initial tip trim" of 2 1/8" to become a #2 iron shaft - then 5/8" between clubs
BLANK for 5.0 and stronger, has a "initial tip trim" of 2 5/8" to become a #2 iron - then 9/16" between clubs

PLAY LENGTH
Then they will play to their FCM label, where RIFLE FCM standard for hosel specs and PL goes like this:
- Play length for a #5 iron is 37.50" or 0.5" SHORTER than what we consider standard today.
if they are built to todays standard, or "0.5 inch above RIFLE standard", they will play 3 CPM or 0.3 FCM stronger
READ - FCM 6.0 becomes FCM 6.3

HEADS 
- TOTAL hosel = 2.5 inch (Sum insert and BBGM)
- INSERT = 1.25"
- BBGM  = 1.25"

1.0" inch HOSEL = 7 CPM
- LOWER hosel total = stronger (7 CPM / 8 = 0.875 CPM stronger for each  1/8"  BBGM is lower)
- LONGER BBGM = opposite effect
INSERT variables from 1 2/8 is just liken tip trim, where 3/16 = 1 CPM (deeper =stronger and vice versa)

SW value D3

FLIGHTED SET UP
- Thats a MiX of blanks, where LONG irons is close to SS1 from "half a flex stronger blanks", to give them the right flex (from soft stepping), and a longer tip section to deliver higher ball flight.
- MID irons is "standard tip trim" from the same blank as the flex label
- Short irons is close to hard stepped 1x from a "half a flex softer blanks", to boost flex back to label, but with a shorter tip section than standard, to lower ball flight.

You should be able to identify each "Blank" by its weight as GRAMS PER INCH (grams /length)
7.0 = 146 grams / 44.00" = 3.32 grams per inch
6.5 = 145 grams / 44.00" = 3.30 grams per inch
6.0 = 141 grams / 44.00" = 3.20 grams per inch
5.5 = 134 grams / 44.00" = 3.05 grams per inch
5.0 = 131 grams / 44.00" = 2.98 grams per inch
4.5 = 129 grams / 44.00" = 2.93 grams per inch
4.0 = 126 grams / 44.00" = 2.86 grams per inch

Compare TIP LENGTH, by "tip to silk screen
uncut, it was 17 inches

Now you should be able to figure out what that set is, if you have it at hand, but feel free to ask

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

if the above sounds complicated, just give me the specs below, and ill tell you what you got.

Shaft #1 (in your set up)
BLANK (grams per inch on the actual shaft)
Tip trim (or tip to silkscreen - 17.00" un-tipped)
Hosel specs (insert and BBGM)
Play length for your #5 iron
SW value

Then i can run the numbers , and even help you to alter them if wanted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

BLANK for 4.0 and 4.5 has a "initial tip trim" of 2 1/8" to become a #2 iron shaft - then 5/8" between clubs
BLANK for 5.0 and stronger, has a "initial tip trim" of 2 5/8" to become a #2 iron - then 9/16" between clubs

PLAY LENGTH
Then they will play to their FCM label, where RIFLE FCM standard for hosel specs and PL goes like this:
- Play length for a #5 iron is 37.50" or 0.5" SHORTER than what we consider standard today.
if they are built to todays standard, or "0.5 inch above RIFLE standard", they will play 3 CPM or 0.3 FCM stronger

HEADS 
- INSERT = 1.25"
- BBGM  = 1.25"

1.0" inch HOSEL = 7 CPM
- LOWER hosel total = stronger (7 CPM / 8 = 0.875 CPM stronger for each  1/8"  BBGM is lower)
INSERT variables from 1 2/8 is just liken tip trim, where 3/16 = 1 CPM (deeper =stronger and vice versa)

SW value D3

FLIGHTED SET UP
- Thats a MiX of blanks, where LONG irons is close to SS1 from "half a flex stronger blanks", to give them the right flex (from soft stepping), and a longer tip section to deliver higher ball flight.
- Short irons is close to hard stepped 1x from a "half a flex softer blanks", to boost flex back to label, but with a shorter tip section than standard, to lower ball flight.

You should be able to identify each "Blank" by its weight as GRAMS PER INCH (grams /length)

uncut, it was 17 inches

Now you should be able to figure out what that set is, if you have it at hand, but feel free to ask

Howard

would you expect the silkscreens  to  be 5/8 or 9/16th apart throughout the set given that  long irons are soft stepped and  short irons are hard stepped?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

PLAY LENGTH

HEADS 
- INSERT = 1.25"
- BBGM  = 1.25"

1.0" inch HOSEL = 7 CPM

SW value D3

FLIGHTED SET UP

uncut, it was 17 inches

9 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

RIFLE FCM came as both 0.370 parallel. and 0.355 Tapers, both pre-cut tip side as discrete length.
Gold color labels = Made by Royal Precision
Blue color labels = Made by True Temper

Rifle - Parallel Tip
URIFM40 Rifle 4.0 Parallel
URIFM45 Rifle 4.5 Parallel
URIFM50 Rifle 5.0 Parallel
URIFM55 Rifle 5.5 Parallel
URIFM60 Rifle 6.0 Parallel
URIFM65 Rifle 6.5 Parallel
URIFM70 Rifle 7.0 Parallel

Rifle - Taper Tip
RIFM40 Rifle 4.0 Taper
RIFM45 Rifle 4.5 Taper
RIFM50 Rifle 5.0 Taper
RIFM55 Rifle 5.5 Taper
RIFM60 Rifle 6.0 Taper
RIFM65 Rifle 6.5 Taper
RIFM70 Rifle 7.0 Taper

Rifle Flighted - Parallel Tip
URIFMF40 Rifle Flighted 4.0 Parallel
URIFMF45 Rifle Flighted 4.5 Parallel
URIFMF50 Rifle Flighted 5.0 Parallel
URIFMF55 Rifle Flighted 5.5 Parallel
URIFMF60 Rifle Flighted 6.0 Parallel
URIFMF65 Rifle Flighted 6.5 Parallel
URIFMF70 Rifle Flighted 7.0 Parallel

Rifle Flighted - Taper Tip
RIFMF40 Rifle Flighted 4.0 Taper
RIFMF45 Rifle Flighted 4.5 Taper
RIFMF50 Rifle Flighted 5.0 Taper
RIFMF55 Rifle Flighted 5.5 Taper
RIFMF60 Rifle Flighted 6.0 Taper
RIFMF65 Rifle Flighted 6.5 Taper
RIFMF70 Rifle Flighted 7.0 Taper

Rifle Spinner - Parallel
URSWE145 Rifle Spinner 4.5 Parallel
URSWE150 Rifle Spinner 5.0 Parallel
URSWE155 Rifle Spinner 5.5 Parallel
URSWE160 Rifle Spinner 6.0 Parallel
URSWE165 Rifle Spinner 6.5 Parallel

Rifle Spinner - Taper
RSWE145 Rifle Spinner 4.5 Taper
RSWE150 Rifle Spinner 5.0 Taper
RSWE155 Rifle Spinner 5.5 Taper
RSWE160 Rifle Spinner 6.0 Taper
RSWE165 Rifle Spinner 6.5 Taper  

That information is priceless, especially the thought process involved with flighting.  It makes sense but what a process it must of been in the factory.

I'm sure that this information will help future club makers.  Thanks again.

Ok.. so a guy like me looks at all of this info and completely short circuits internally 🤯 😜

If I have .370 hosels and want the shafts to relatively play at the 6.5 frequency stated or "presumed", am I ok just to plug these in and trim from the butt end to desired length? Or do these require further tip trimming? Is the tip trimming you're referring to, from the factory in order to get them to play as a "flighted" set and to match hosel and bore depth of whatever Cleveland irons these were meant for? 

Apologies if I completely just trashed the whole process on how these shafts work. 

Thanks!!

5 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Ok.. so a guy like me looks at all of this info and completely short circuits internally 🤯 😜

If I have .370 hosels and want the shafts to relatively play at the 6.5 frequency stated or "presumed", am I ok just to plug these in and trim from the butt end to desired length? Or do these require further tip trimming? Is the tip trimming you're referring to, from the factory in order to get them to play as a "flighted" set and to match hosel and bore depth of whatever Cleveland irons these were meant for? 

Apologies if I completely just trashed the whole process on how these shafts work. 

Thanks!!

You won’t need tip trimming.  Howard or Stuart can hit you with all the technical details but Rifles are supposed to play at the stated flex at a certain length and swingweight.  To the rest of us, it’s plug and play!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, taki27 said:

You won’t need tip trimming.  Howard or Stuart can hit you with all the technical details but Rifles are supposed to play at the stated flex at a certain length and swingweight.  To the rest of us, it’s plug and play!

Thanks and that's what I had thought.. but my mind was starting play tricks on itself the more I kept reading 😜

I'm pretty excited to get these in and plug them into my Maltby TS4's. IMO these are truly a 🦄 shaft! 

If your looking for new PX shaft labels, I got these on BST.

Cheers

D.

Link ....

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

15 hours ago, Thayneil said:

Howard

would you expect the silkscreens  to  be 5/8 or 9/16th apart throughout the set given that  long irons are soft stepped and  short irons are hard stepped?

NO
If they are "FLIGHTED", we will se a "jump" between each "group", and since we are mixing blanks, and sometimes ends with 4.5 or even 4.0 blanks as "short irons", the tip trim itself for each blank is different, so its not that easy.

Detailed, it goes like this:
RIFLE FCM moves 4 CPM when soft or hard stepping. (9/16" tip difference for 5.0 and stronger, and 5/8" for 4.5 and 4.0 blank. BUT since we starte from 5 CPM softer or stronger, we like to move not only by SS1 or 4 CPM but 5 CPM to get all shafts on RIFLE FCM flex slope (8.5 CPM per inch)

To get there, Long irons who always is blanks stronger than 4.5, needs 9/16" (4 CPM) + 3/16" (1 CPM) or 12/16" LONGER tip for HIGH launch. (vs standard tip trim for that blank)

Short irons (low launch), CAN BE 4.5 or even 4.0 blanks
Then we shorten tip section as HS1 = 5/8" (4 CPM) + 3/16" (1 CPM) = 13/16" SHORTER tip section to make them 5 CPM stronger and play to the same label as MID irons.

Since some shaft needs 9/16" other 5/8" (or 10/16"), they shall be 1/16" OFF where we go from MID to LOW, and depending on flex, that can sometimes be valid only for the shortest PW shaft.

BUT - Both standard flight, and flighted, has the same "general" tip trim difference, thats 9/16" for flex 5.0 and stronger blank, and 5/8" for 4.5 and 5.0 blanks (plus the OFFSET factor above for LONG and short from that)

IF the silk screen codes, is "equal" as progression all the way, its NOT a Flighted set, but standard flight. For flighted it would be visible that Long irons has a longer distance from tip to Silk screen, and shorter way shorter tip to silk screen vs mid irons. 

The silk screen code on the tip is 17" up on uncut shafts, and since the tip is 10.0", we can also say the screen code is 7 inch above where the tip ends and taper/midsection starts. Thats the same measurement for all Tour Van Blanks, no matter start flex, so they can NOT end as a strait line on FLIGHTED, but 3 lines.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

NO
If they are "FLIGHTED", we will se a "jump" between each "group", and since we are mixing blanks, and sometimes ends with 4.5 or even 4.0 blanks as "short irons", the tip trim itself for each blank is different, so its not that easy.

Detailed, it goes like this:
RIFLE FCM moves 4 CPM when soft or hard stepping. (9/16" tip difference for 5.0 and stronger, and 5/8" for 4.5 and 4.0 blank. BUT since we starte from 5 CPM softer or stronger, we like to move not only by SS1 or 4 CPM but 5 CPM to get all shafts on RIFLE FCM flex slope (8.5 CPM per inch)

To get there, Long irons who always is blanks stronger than 4.5, needs 9/16" (4 CPM) + 3/16" (1 CPM) or 12/16" LONGER tip for HIGH launch. (vs standard tip trim for that blank)

Short irons (low launch), CAN BE 4.5 or even 4.0 blanks
Then we shorten tip section as HS1 = 5/8" (4 CPM) + 3/16" (1 CPM) = 13/16" SHORTER tip section to make them 5 CPM stronger and play to the same label as MID irons.

Since some shaft needs 9/16" other 5/8" (or 10/16"), they shall be 1/16" OFF where we go from MID to LOW, and depending on flex, that can sometimes be valid only for the shortest PW shaft.

BUT - Both standard flight, and flighted, has the same "general" tip trim difference, thats 9/16" for flex 5.0 and stronger blank, and 5/8" for 4.5 and 5.0 blanks (plus the OFFSET factor above for LONG and short from that)

IF the silk screen codes, is "equal" as progression all the way, its NOT a Flighted set, but standard flight. For flighted it would be visible that Long irons has a longer distance from tip to Silk screen, and shorter way shorter tip to silk screen vs mid irons. 

thats  what  i thought but wanted to ask an open question rather  than  a "gotcha!

18 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

thats  what  i thought but wanted to ask an open question rather  than  a "gotcha!

How ever, here is one more option....
Labels on the butt say "Taylor made"....this blanks can have been at TM and cut by them.

OEMs is free to do what ever they like, and make labels as they like, and we CAN make a flighted set also without mixing blanks like above, by using a larger tip trim progression.

Then the silk screen labels will line up like a standard set, but with LONGER steps than 9/16"

To make a FLIGHTED set, based on the same blank, we no longer have a set where flex progression is 8.5 CPM pr inch, or 4.25 per club. We go progressive softer into the long end, and progressive stronger into the short end. The benefit is less weight difference from long to short irons.

To get there, we must alter tip trim progression from 9/16 between clubs to +2/8" or 13/16" between clubs both ways from our #6 or #7 iron by choice. If silk screen progression is between 9/16" and 13/16", then TM had their own "Custom variant" of Flighted based on the same blank for all, so the shaft weight becomes just like other descending wgt sets.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

Do you know whats on the small white sticker on the shaft butt?
Thats most likely RIFLES own flex measurement for that blank. if you know them, its easier to see what this set is, but silk screen variables indicate flighted.

BUTT CPM LABEL FROM RILE (plus minus 1.5 CPM)

Blank CPM
4 220,1
4,5 224,6
5 227,1
5,5 231,1
6 234,6
6,5 238,1
7 240,6

The numbers sounds very week, but its a 44.00" long shaft, measured with a 2.5" long clamp using a 255 gram tip wgt.
If you can see those labels, you can see if its a mix of blanks or not, without putting them on a weight, and if you identify each blank this way, you know its weight in grams per inch from my info above.

AS SETS of irons, with a direct comparable weight to "uncut constant wgt sets", each blank and shaft # has this values.

Comparableshaftweight.JPG.81cdb53944a0a41122176f159b4a75be.JPG

For a set 6.5 FLIGHTED
LONG irons - look at flex 7.0 for wgt (#3 - #4)
MID irons - look at flex 6.5 for wgt (#5 - #6 - #7)
SHORT - look at flex 6.0 for wgt. (#8 - #9  -PW)

Sometimes the "long end" included the #5 iron /#3, #4, #5 as "high launch"

Edited by Howard_Jones

Okay one more question for you shaft wizards... My set of shafts are coming in today and they are marked PW through 4 iron. I don't play a 4 iron but I also have a set GW. If I were to install the PW shaft in the GW and build up from there, do you think that would cause too much of an issue? because technically isn't that soft stepping the entire set one club? I don't mind playing a slightly softer flex because from my understanding, these 6.5's aren't like PX 6.5's but maybe a general S+ by most "standards". I typically play S-S+ anyway. I'm thinking I should be ok but wanted to get some input. 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Okay one more question for you shaft wizards... My set of shafts are coming in today and they are marked PW through 4 iron. I don't play a 4 iron but I also have a set GW. If I were to install the PW shaft in the GW and build up from there, do you think that would cause too much of an issue? because technically isn't that soft stepping the entire set one club? I don't mind playing a slightly softer flex because from my understanding, these 6.5's aren't like PX 6.5's but maybe a general S+ by most "standards". I typically play S-S+ anyway. I'm thinking I should be ok but wanted to get some input. 

Thanks! 

Thats Soft stepped 1 x, where FCM 6.5 becomes FCM 6.1
If we talk 0.370 heads and shafts, you  can tip trim, instead of butt trim if you like to keep them around 6.5

5 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

Thats Soft stepped 1 x, where FCM 6.5 becomes FCM 6.1
If we talk 0.370 heads and shafts, you  can tip trim, instead of butt trim if you like to keep them around 6.5

Ha ha it's funny because I thought about that as soon as I sent the last message. They're waiting for me at home so I'll double check with the old callipers this evening. I actually don't mind the idea of 6.1 though so we'll see. 

Thank you sir! 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:05 AM, Howard_Jones said:

Do you know whats on the small white sticker on the shaft butt?
Thats most likely RIFLES own flex measurement for that blank. if you know them, its easier to see what this set is, but silk screen variables indicate flighted.

BUTT CPM LABEL FROM RILE (plus minus 1.5 CPM)

Blank CPM
4 220,1
4,5 224,6
5 227,1
5,5 231,1
6 234,6
6,5 238,1
7 240,6

The numbers sounds very week, but its a 44.00" long shaft, measured with a 2.5" long clamp using a 255 gram tip wgt.
If you can see those labels, you can see if its a mix of blanks or not, without putting them on a weight, and if you identify each blank this way, you know its weight in grams per inch from my info above.

AS SETS of irons, with a direct comparable weight to "uncut constant wgt sets", each blank and shaft # has this values.

Comparableshaftweight.JPG.81cdb53944a0a41122176f159b4a75be.JPG

For a set 6.5 FLIGHTED
LONG irons - look at flex 7.0 for wgt (#3 - #4)
MID irons - look at flex 6.5 for wgt (#5 - #6 - #7)
SHORT - look at flex 6.0 for wgt. (#8 - #9  -PW)

Sometimes the "long end" included the #5 iron /#3, #4, #5 as "high launch"

So if the 5 iron shaft is labeled 6.5 flighted  (.370) with a CPM of 237.9 (all the shafts labeled cpm 236.8-239.1) and is tip trimmed already would still expect to see the the grams per inch of roughly 3.30? 

26 minutes ago, Ezekial said:

So if the 5 iron shaft is labeled 6.5 flighted  (.370) with a CPM of 237.9 (all the shafts labeled cpm 236.8-239.1) and is tip trimmed already would still expect to see the the grams per inch of roughly 3.30? 

CPM numbers say its all 6.5 blanks, and yes, average should be very close to 3.20 grams per inch

19 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

CPM numbers say its all 6.5 blanks, and yes, average should be very close to 3.20 grams per inch

Were tolerance issues a large concern in the past? I only ask because weighing through the set it ranges anywhere from 3.11 to 3.34 and in no particular order 

43 minutes ago, Ezekial said:

Were tolerance issues a large concern in the past? I only ask because weighing through the set it ranges anywhere from 3.11 to 3.34 and in no particular order 

NO, RIFLE FCM was very tight on all specs

3.11 is below 6.0 wgt, and that would be natural for SHORT irons in a Flighted set, but CPM label on those should then say 231-235 somewhere..