2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

US Open Volunteer Question

beamlith

Looking for someone who has some experience with volunteering for a tournament. If I pay the fee for their "merchandise package" but I end up unable to commit my time (emergency, family matter, etc.) at a later date, do I have options for a return/refund or would I end up stuck with a couple hundred dollars of very nice polos and hats for an event I couldn't go to? I suppose it's not the worst problem in the world, but just something I'm pondering.

Why don't you ask the USGA? I'm sure they have a customer support option for US Open volunteers.

I just think it's pretty unlikely that someone here has encountered this exact scenario, and even if they have policies change so there's no way to know if their experience in a previous year would be the same as someone's this year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beamlith said:

Looking for someone who has some experience with volunteering for a tournament. If I pay the fee for their "merchandise package" but I end up unable to commit my time (emergency, family matter, etc.) at a later date, do I have options for a return/refund or would I end up stuck with a couple hundred dollars of very nice polos and hats for an event I couldn't go to? I suppose it's not the worst problem in the world, but just something I'm 

You buy it, you own it.  

• Like 2

My situation was during a regular PGA event and not a US Open which is run by a different organization so could be different. I had signed up as a walking scorer for the PGA Tour event in Palm Springs but had to cancel out because of covid travel restrictions. I had paid the fee, can't remember how much it was, maybe $75. They gave me the option of getting a refund or they would apply my fee to the event charity, I choose the later. My guess is you would likely eat the cost, it should say on the sign-up form.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Like 1

In truth, I suspect it is a moot point (if you are talking about the 2024 US Open). At this point, the registration list for volunteers likely closed some time ago. The tourney is now less than two months away. You can probably still get on a (long) waitlist, but your chances of being a volunteer on the course this year are pretty slim.

Note that the USGA is making a big deal about this year's tourney. For two years they've been building a new Headquarters, at Pinehurst. A lot of testing is going to move there, the World Golf Hall of Fame is going to be moved there, and etc. So this year's USO will also be a kind of grand opening of the new facilities (expect this to be hyped during the tournament broadcasts - they'll probably do on air walk throughs). 

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

1 hour ago, bobfoster said:

In truth, I suspect it is a moot point (if you are talking about the 2024 US Open). At this point, the registration list for volunteers likely closed some time ago. The tourney is now less than two months away. You can probably still get on a (long) waitlist, but your chances of being a volunteer on the course this year are pretty slim.

Note that the USGA is making a big deal about this year's tourney. For two years they've been building a new Headquarters, at Pinehurst. A lot of testing is going to move there, the World Golf Hall of Fame is going to be moved there, and etc. So this year's USO will also be a kind of grand opening of the new facilities (expect this to be hyped during the tournament broadcasts - they'll probably do on air walk throughs). 

I guess I should have specified, I signed up for the '25 Open at Oakmont. I'm just trying to plan ahead, but it sounds like I'll own some nice Peter Millar gear either way.

35 minutes ago, beamlith said:

I guess I should have specified, I signed up for the '25 Open at Oakmont. I'm just trying to plan ahead, but it sounds like I'll own some nice Peter Millar gear either way.

I would imagine being that far out they have some sort of cancellation period. Drop out before XX date and you can get a refund, but cancel after and you don't get one.

Side note... I still find it funny that people pay money to "volunteer". Especially considering the USGA brings in $250,000,000+ in revenue each year. 🤣

2 hours ago, beamlith said:

Not sure how the US Open does it but they usually hand out the uniform the week before the event during a meeting when the organizers meet with the volunteers to go over their jobs. Unless you show up to that meeting you likely won't get anything.

2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I would imagine being that far out they have some sort of cancellation period. Drop out before XX date and you can get a refund, but cancel after and you don't get one.

Side note... I still find it funny that people pay money to "volunteer". Especially considering the USGA brings in $250,000,000+ in revenue each year. 🤣

Woah now, they're a sub-billion dollar organization. What, you think they're going to just give everyone free food and shirts? They need to be able to send their children's children to college man. Think of the big guys for once!

I have only volunteered at PGA events so cant speak to the USGA. For the 2019 PGA you paid the fee (I forget exactly how much but for some reason $75 sounds close) You put your name down for the different choices (marshall, standard bearer, merch tent etc...) You get a call with choices and then once you pick one- get some on course training prior to the event. I was a marshall and they had a bunch of us to cover all the days needed. Then they have alternates for just in case. During that part you can request days available/ days not and the captains make the schedule. Then the schedule is finalized. If i remember correctly you had to commit to 4 AM/PM sessions total for the 4 days. They had plenty of marshall's to cover the 4 days plus alternates in case. We had a guy hurt his knee day 2 and his sessions were covered easily.

For the volunteer fee- You got a hat (either bucket or baseball) a shirt (to wear when working), a pin, credentials that you could use at the event event when not volunteering, a small duffle type bag for your stuff which are the only bags they allow on site, preferred parking, a nice merch tent discount, food and beverage vouchers, and 4 tickets to 2 days of practice rounds for yourself, friends and family. The volunteers also get their own tent to hang out with restrooms, food etc.

You get a lot for the fee. Inside the ropes access when your working is pretty cool two. During the practice rounds some players mix it up with the volunteers- thanking them, joking around... When they're playing is all business.

Doing it again for the Ryder Cup next year.

One thing I know about the USGA is they get "Quiet" signs to hold up. PGA you just hold up both hands... Bummer.

Is it just me, or is there something inherently wrong to pay to be a "volunteer" at an event where the top finishers are getting millions of $$$$.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

46 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Is it just me, or is there something inherently wrong to pay to be a "volunteer" at an event where the top finishers are getting millions of $$$$.

Everyone takes the USGA for granted. They are just sort of there, and have been for all of our lifetimes. But they are part of the very infrastructure of golf. Perpetually trying to manage the Rules of Golf (a completely thankless task in an ever evolving world). Actually either run or participate in 16 tournaments a year - half of them amateur events. They are heavily involved in developing the next generation of golfers. Deeply involved in working with course owners, with the good of the game itself. The US Open is one of their chief annual sources of funds. 

So - it isn't just you - way more than you want to say it is "wrong" to have to pay to volunteer. So - don't volunteer. But there are just as many like me - that will (as I have) willingly pay (a paltry amount) to be behind the ropes at a major. And support the mission of the USGA. 

This isn't the PGAT. Or (for goodness sake) LIV. It isn't about the money with these people, it is about the future of the game. Won't try to convince the haters here (dumb to talk to anyone with their minds made up ) but for anyone with an open mind? Try to envision what this weekend's round would be without the structure the USGA/R&A provides to us. 

This is a genuine 501c3 non-profit. In 2022 (last numbers available), had $235MM in revenue, spent $263 on their mission. 

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

11 hours ago, tatertot said:

There is the charity angle that tournament proceeds go to plus the fact that the majority of the volunteers are retirees looking for something to do, I don't think any of these tournaments have trouble getting volunteers. I have only done the walking scorer job, if you enjoy watching pros perform close up it's the best way to do it.

I've done two, Congressional and Pinehurst. Volunteer outfit was shipped to my house prior to the tournament on both occasions. 

Not sure what the angst is about free or bought outfits. Make your choice, it's all laid out clearly before you choose to sign up. I very much enjoyed the experience and gave me some additional access I might not otherwise had if I was just a spectator. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

14 hours ago, tatertot said:

To each their own, but as I’ve said a few times here. Volunteered at the last US Open w/my son. Think it was like 2 hundred n some change. Worth every penny for me. An incredible lifetime experience I’ll never forget. I mean ~$200 to stand on 18 tee on a Sunday at the US Open??? Now if someone wants to miss out on that experience bcs of their opinions on purses/pay. God bless ‘em and to each their own 😊

IMG_3449.jpeg

Edited by TiScape

13 hours ago, st1800e said:

Discourages those with no golf knowledge just looking for a free shirt.  

When we did the Genesis that is exactly what our ‘hole captain’ (that sounds kinda bad 😜) said. For that event 4 free tickets to give to friends/family are included and received prior to the event along w/the clothes/hats etc. They found when the fee was very low, ppl were signing up with the intent to jus to get the gear and tix and not show up to volunteer. 

• Like 1