Wilson Golf Product Testing and Fitting Experience @ Pinehurst | Following Along Here

1 hour ago, Steve o said:

Thank you!!  Exactly the stuff I was looking for. I’ve been a Wilson homer forever and am really excited for what’s happening and what’s ahead. Hope my tone wasn’t overly critical. Pictures do say a thousand words. 

Not at all.  I feel a sense of pride being part of this community and really wanted to do everything I could to take you all along the journey with us. Its also really tough too because at the end of the day we want to also enjoy it ourselves so its definitely a dance we have to do.  

Let me know if you have anymore questions or would like some more info.  

• Like 4

Wilson DYNAPWR Carbon - Project X Denali

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW - Steelfiber 110x
Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54*, 60* Tour Issue Spinner Shafts
Ping Oslo

20 minutes ago, Orchardist said:

Olson12!  Baller ends up at the maintenance shed!  Were you able to score, you know, a little something something?  Like a used up frayed flag?  Used bib from the rag pile?  Fantastic day!

There honestly wasn't much.  Playing No.10 right now feels very exclusive. No parking lot, no fancy clubhouse, no crowds. It very much feels as if Tom Doak personally invited us out to get early access to the course. It was AMAZING.

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

19 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

Day 3: "The Round"

I was paired up with @TLUBulldogGolf and 2 Wilson staffers (Harry and Matt)

We met our caddies on the putting green and exchanged pleasantries. Their first question was about which tee box we wanted to play. Harry and AJ are both + handicaps, Matt is a scratch, and I'm a 4. When Harry told them we intended to play the back tees, they didn't seem too thrilled. The course is only six weeks old, so they've only had a handful of rounds on it themselves, but they assured us it would be a test of our skill. We approached the starter, who also recommended we play up a box for a better experience.

I’m all for having fun and would have happily played the most forward tees at this point, but Harry and Matt didn't give in to the pressure, so to the back tees we went. I'll focus on my round and experience, but here are some quick highlights: Harry shot a 1-under 69, with a 3-putt bogey on a 264-yard par 3, a missed 4-footer for birdie on No. 18, and a lipped-out eagle putt on the 634-yard par 5 after going driver, 3-wood to 10 feet. Matt shot around 74, and AJ finished in the 70s, much prettier than my round.

**No. 1: 447-yard par 4**

The pressure was real. After the back-and-forth with the starters, the last thing I wanted was to step up with a brand new driver and top it. I mentioned to the group that I've organized countless WRX events in Arizona, and almost every time I get on the tee box in front of everyone, the result is less than ideal. I hit a good drive left of the fairway into the pine straw but made good contact. Off to a great start! I had to hit a punchy 7-iron through a tight window, leaving my second shot short right in front of the green. A decent chip and two putts later, I was +1.

**No. 2: 182-yard par 3**

This hole played into the wind. Our caddie, Ryan, told us to play a 200-yard shot to the middle of the green. Nothing like pulling out a 5-iron on the second hole. I had @knudson81 record my tee shot, and I pureed the 5-iron, landing pin-high and rolling out to about 15-20 feet. Two putts, and I stayed +1.

**No. 3: 555-yard par 5**

I don't remember much about this hole. I hit the fairway, overshot the green, chipped well, and made a great putt to get up and down for par. Still +1.

**No. 4: 342-yard par 4**

A cool par 4 with a risk-reward factor. I pushed my tee shot right into the pine needles/native area. My ball had a tough lie next to one of the native bushes. I managed to get good contact with a 9-iron, landing on the green but rolling through to the fringe. Two putts for par, still +1.

At this point, I started thinking, "What's all the fuss about? This course isn't too long or hard." I challenged the golf gods, and they answered over the next 14 holes.

**No. 5: 400-yard par 4**

Missed the fairway left with the driver, missed the green long, duffed a chip, chipped close, and one-putted. Now +2.

**No. 6: 489-yard par 4**

Hit a great drive, outdrove AJ for the first and last time of the day. On the right side of the fairway, there was a HUGE tree about 50 yards ahead. I usually play a cut, so I wasn't worried. The wind was blowing left to right, but I overcooked it, missing the green right. Poor chip shot, two putts, and now +3.

**No. 7: 150-yard par 3**

I don't remember much here except I hit a good 8-iron into the wind, landing on the green. Two putts for par, still +3.

**No. 8: 385-yard par 4**

This is their signature hole, with double blind shots if you're on the left, aka the "WRONG" side. My first attempt with the new 5-wood was a moonball deep to right field. Not knowing what was over there, I had high hopes but no luck finding my ball. So, if you play No. 10, feel free to hunt for Wilson Staff X with a green line & GolfWRX logo. Dropped one on the edge of the fairway, hit the green on my fourth shot, and two-putted for a double bogey. +5.

There is no halfway house yet, but the beverage cart was waiting at No. 9 tee box with goodies. I opted for an Uncrustable and some Spicy Cajun Pinehurst Trail mix.

**No. 9: 468-yard par 4**

This hole is visually intimidating. I hit a decent drive down the middle of the fairway, but there happened to be a bunker right there. We played as a five-ball, with a late surprise for Brian from GolfWRX joining us. Four out of five of us were in that bunker. I topped an iron out of the waste bunker, hit a decent wedge onto the green, and two-putted for bogey. +6.

**No. 10: 634-yard par 5**

Here’s where the fun begins. I hit my driver left of the fairway into the junk and punched it around until I got to the green with my fourth shot. Two putts, and in for bogey. I wish I could have played this hole again—it was playing downwind, so it was very "getable"—but I was in trouble from the first swing and scrambled to make bogey. +7.

**No. 11: 182-yard par 3**

Terrible swing with a 6-iron left me in the pines, hole-high to the right of the green. I had no idea how the ball would come out. Made good contact, but airmail the green into the bunker on the other side. Hit an amazing shot out of the bunker from a downhill lie to an elevated green, to about 10 feet, but two-putted for double. +9.

**No. 12: 544-yard par 5**

Hit a great drive, leaving about 260 yards to the green. Pulled out the 3-wood and got a high-face shot that went nowhere. Luckily, the fairway was wide open, leaving me with about a 75-yard shot into the green. Hit a really good "Zipper Magoo" 60° wedge to 3 feet and tapped in for birdie. I'm back! +8.

**No. 13: 508-yard par 4**

This hole was a beast, playing directly into the wind. I hit a good drive into the middle of the fairway, still had about 240 yards to the green. Tried a 3-hybrid, left it right of the green, and hit a poor chip shot onto a very undulated green. Two-putted for bogey. +9.

**No. 14: 264-yard par 3**

Everything about this hole says to miss front-right of the green. The pin was back left, so naturally, I duck-hooked the 3-wood and short-sided myself in the pine straw. Chipped long and faced an impossible putt on a sidehill, downhill pin. Three-putted for double. Everyone agreed that the pin location was probably the worst possible spot and maybe even illegal. +11.

**No. 15: 385-yard par 4**

Water all along the right of the fairway with a single tree as the target line. Hit a decent drive on the left side of the fairway. The greens were super firm, so I tried a gap wedge to bounce it up, but it caught the fringe and spun back about 4 feet off the green. Faced a downhill putt and ended up three-putting. Now +13.

**No. 16: 477-yard par 5**

Blow my driver right off the planet. My caddie found it, but I had to take an unplayable lie, hitting three from just off the fairway. Pureed a 4-iron that landed on the front of the green and rolled 40 feet off the back. Chipped on and two-putted for another double. Now +15.

**No. 17: 175-yard par 3**

Great-looking hole. Hit a good 7-iron to the front pin location, just short of the green. Chipped up and made the putt for par. The beating was over, finally made a par. +15.

**No. 18: 433-yard par 4**

Hit a really good drive, leaving about 150 yards to the green. Matt and I joked because he initially thought my ball was his, but he was 15 yards left and 10 yards back. He asked if we wanted to switch tee shots, but I declined. He then hit a beautiful shot, lipping out for a miracle eagle (all caught on film, by the way). I offered to trade shots now, but Mr. Big Time didn’t want to anymore. I hit a good iron shot to about 10 feet and two-putted to finish with a par, carding an 85 (+15) on the day.

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3249.MOVIMG_3268.MOV

IMG_3339.jpg

Great recap! Could look at the course map and almost visualize each shot.

20 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

The tee shot on #2.  5 iron from 182 yards. 

Golfnerd stole my comment. So I’ll say 

Golf shot! 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, Orchardist said:

UhOh 12…. Pinehurst called, driving your vehicle to the maintenance shed is two stroke penalty.  Someone called it in from video replay.

they could have given me a 10 shot penalty and the score would have felt the same lol. 

• Haha 3

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

On 6/8/2024 at 9:29 PM, fore_life said:

Incredible trip and giveaway fellas, just wondering why they stopped at 13 clubs and didn’t get you guys into the staff putters? Those things look amazing too!!

Truth, if any of them wanna backtrack and have Wilson ship me a lefty Staff 8802 I'd be happy.

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

1 hour ago, Orchardist said:

UhOh 12…. Pinehurst called, driving your vehicle to the maintenance shed is two stroke penalty.  Someone called it in from video replay.

In our defense….with them not having a clubhouse as yet when I went to Google Maps for directions the address given was the maintenance shed. So you can blame Mr Google….not @Olson12’s navigator….aka me.🙄

• Haha 3

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

10 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

In our defense….with them not having a clubhouse as yet when I went to Google Maps for directions the address given was the maintenance shed. So you can blame Mr Google….not @Olson12’s navigator….aka me.🙄

Ha, all in fun. It’s been great following you guys.  I don’t know if any of the participants were friends prior but you have something pretty special shared together now.  

I was already a Wilson iron player here in their new current era. However they market your experiences I hope it brings new Wilson players to the brand. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Orchardist said:

Ha, all in fun. It’s been great following you guys.  I don’t know if any of the participants were friends prior but you have something pretty special shared together now.  

I was already a Wilson iron player here in their new current era. However they market your experiences I hope it brings new Wilson players to the brand. 

I guess my sarcasm wasn’t quite clear.  I certainly was not offended by your post as it was clearly in jest.

And you’re correct…..we shared a fantastic time and feel blessed to have participated.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Orchardist said:

I’m hoping this (and their overall strategy) can up their visibility because the new product is legit. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

21 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I’m hoping this (and their overall strategy) can up their visibility because the new product is legit. 

Indeed it is legit. Almost feels like a bit of a brotherhood amongst those playing or rediscovering current Wilson.  I never expected to be trumpeting Wilson at the point in golf equipment.

We will be seeing you, the gang, this week in the upcoming commercials during the broadcasts and live streaming of the U.S. Open!😀

• Like 3

I asked this question very early on and haven't seen an answer (though might have just missed it in the 13 pages of posts)... are the stock lengths for the Wilson irons shorter than other manufacturers even though the numbers listed on the website say they should be about the same length or longer?  I've set a couple of different sets of CBs down next to both Mizuno 243 and Ping Blueprint S and the Wilson CBs were 1/4" to 1/2" shorter.

Also, when you guys get your final sets in and have a chance to put everything into play, I'd love to know what you were fit for and what you end up keeping in the bag.

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

1 minute ago, grochol17 said:

I asked this question very early on and haven't seen an answer (though might have just missed it in the 13 pages of posts)... are the stock lengths for the Wilson irons shorter than other manufacturers even though the numbers listed on the website say they should be about the same length or longer?  I've set a couple of different sets of CBs down next to both Mizuno 243 and Ping Blueprint S and the Wilson CBs were 1/4" to 1/2" shorter.

Also, when you guys get your final sets in and have a chance to put everything into play, I'd love to know what you were fit for and what you end up keeping in the bag.

I think they just measure differently, but I'll set my Wilsons next to my Pings later today and see.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

22 minutes ago, grochol17 said:

If I recall correctly they measure to end of shaft…not end of grip. 

If I missed it somewhere I apologize, What was everyone fit into? Was it an open book for shaft options etc? 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

If I missed it somewhere I apologize, What was everyone fit into? Was it an open book for shaft options etc? 

They had a pretty large variety of shaft for both irons and woods for us to try out. The AI fitting tool narrowed it down and gave us recommendations to tryout. I only hit 1 iron shaft because the numbers were really good so I didn't want to complicate the fitting.  For the driver I hit the Denali, AD DI, Velocore Blue & ended up with the Denali. 

My set: 

Driver:  Wilson Dynapower Carbon 10.5* -1* on the adapter with Project X Denali 60g Stiff

Woods: (not fit but a nice surprise) Wilson Dynapower 3 & 5 wood with Velocore Blue 7x 

Irons: 4-PW Wilson Staff CB with Steelfiber 110x Soft Stepped 1 time.

Wedges: Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54* and 60*  with tour issue Spinner wedges 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

4 hours ago, grochol17 said:

I did not deviate from the fit of my gamers, the AI tool recommended several options, one of which was PX, we were short on time as I ran long hitting drivers but I stuck with 6.5s as I am so comfortable with them.

I will say the +1/2” shaft he had on hand when put next to my +1/2” Mizunos was shorter, so they built them to +3/4” and they match up pretty much exactly.

Wedges I ended up in 52-08, 56-10, 60-06 all with PX. 

Driver I ended up in a 10.5 turned down with a Kai’li White 60x. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

11 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I did not deviate from the fit of my gamers, the AI tool recommended several options, one of which was PX, we were short on time as I ran long hitting drivers but I stuck with 6.5s as I am so comfortable with them.

I will say the +1/2” shaft he had on hand when put next to my +1/2” Mizunos was shorter, so they built them to +3/4” and they match up pretty much exactly.

Someone earlier commented on the Wilson irons measuring short compared to other OEMs. I don’t believe it was ever addressed/answered. 

1 hour ago, Olson12 said:

They had a pretty large variety of shaft for both irons and woods for us to try out. The AI fitting tool narrowed it down and gave us recommendations to tryout. I only hit 1 iron shaft because the numbers were really good so I didn't want to complicate the fitting.  For the driver I hit the Denali, AD DI, Velocore Blue & ended up with the Denali. 

My set: 

Driver:  Wilson Dynapower Carbon 10.5* -1* on the adapter with Project X Denali 60g Stiff

Woods: (not fit but a nice surprise) Wilson Dynapower 3 & 5 wood with Velocore Blue 7x 

Irons: 4-PW Wilson Staff CB with Steelfiber 110x Soft Stepped 1 time.

Wedges: Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54* and 60*  with tour issue Spinner wedges 

I really like that setup 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lasater said:

Such an awesome trip filled with incredible memories. Pleasure to meet you guys -   @Olson12 @TM golf guy @Shilgy  @TLUBulldogGolf

Might be a little bias....but our group had the most fun 😀  

IMG_3621.jpeg

Yes we did Lindsey! Thanks again for everything.🤩

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wilson_Golf said:

On behalf of the entire Wilson team, big thanks to the GolfWRX team for helping put together this incredible event. It was a pleasure to host @TM golf guy @Olson12 @Shilgy  @TLUBulldogGolf and it has been a blast reading the comments and feedback on the forum. 

This is just the beginning! We are excited to connect with more members of the GolfWRX forum.

Enjoy these BTS photos while we wait for video trip recap 😎

Team Wilson Golf!

311b98f8-4328-41cf-bf08-4dd7ab126945.jpg

6a89a7aa-bc5c-499b-b554-db97998d612f.jpg

8e3e9475-f800-4008-93ca-d0bc59863889.jpg

83b185ef-3d85-47d2-8a22-efdc3e607cc4.jpg

133b7dc3-43dc-4e80-9b6b-b9ba5d834626.jpg

45091c20-b630-400b-bac3-461f1dc6ef3c.jpg

a7d55b1d-266b-4c8b-9d7a-6d53981b49e2.jpg

fc8a2bd2-829f-4d0e-9704-1a9720a5e0c1.jpg

1ca78865-f84b-4e1a-bcbc-39072b678e89.jpg

f49d4823-b226-407d-92a8-2928017a8c31.jpg

1f3f9a5b-9000-49cb-b4b6-8e43df7e2ad8.jpg

a51d49cd-1a23-4243-9ec4-9e40b190434b.jpg

386dfa05-253a-43e3-b878-ef710dd7813e.jpg

ae81b77c-4c57-4d9a-94da-af2372fc335a.jpg

93746535-cb49-44b2-8288-03c54445c06c.jpg

WILSON_SELECT_PH-104.jpg

PINEHURST_CANON_70mm-100.jpg

PINEHURST_CANON_70mm-29.jpg

PINEHURST_CANON_70mm-74.jpg

Just the beginning!!! 👀👀

I like the sound of that @Wilson_Golf!

Can't wait to see, hear, experience whats in store!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Wedges I ended up in 52-08, 56-10, 60-06 all with PX. 

Driver I ended up in a 10.5 turned down with a Kai’li White 60x. 

Sounds like a pretty sick setup there! I approve👍