Wilson Golf Product Testing and Fitting Experience @ Pinehurst | Following Along Here

1 minute ago, TM golf guy said:

XCfwBPP.jpeg

Here's tonight's setup for the range. Going to leave my i230s at home and just focus on the Wilsons and see how it goes. I'm also going to hit my Utility, and I wanted to give a big shoutout to the Wilson team on that note. I texted Ed, their master fitter, and asked if I could swap my 4 since I hadn't hit it yet. I told him I thought it might be too close to the 5 iron and he suggested I go ahead and hit it and said he would send me a 3 to try as well. I'll report back later tonight!

Looking good W!  Nippon was slow getting shafts to Ed so I’m waiting.  He hoped to have them this week so my reports are on hold.

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I’m going to provide a mid-range session update because this utility is stupid good. The first swing I made I hit rather toey, and it flew straight as an arrow. Off the tee it’s a more penetrating flight than my Srixon, but still has good height. Like @TLUBulldogGolf said, it really wants to go straight. Definitely a winner. Still not sure what loft I’ll need, but one of them will absolutely go in my bag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

4 hours ago, TM golf guy said:

XCfwBPP.jpeg

Here's tonight's setup for the range. Going to leave my i230s at home and just focus on the Wilsons and see how it goes. I'm also going to hit my Utility, and I wanted to give a big shoutout to the Wilson team on that note. I texted Ed, their master fitter, and asked if I could swap my 4 since I hadn't hit it yet. I told him I thought it might be too close to the 5 iron and he suggested I go ahead and hit it and said he would send me a 3 to try as well. I'll report back later tonight!

those wedges sure look sweet 

• Like 3

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

13 hours ago, TM golf guy said:

I’m going to provide a mid-range session update because this utility is stupid good. The first swing I made I hit rather toey, and it flew straight as an arrow. Off the tee it’s a more penetrating flight than my Srixon, but still has good height. Like @TLUBulldogGolf said, it really wants to go straight. Definitely a winner. Still not sure what loft I’ll need, but one of them will absolutely go in my bag. 

When you get enough testing in, I'm interested in knowing the distances and gapping you're getting for the utility compared to the DP Forged irons.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

10 hours ago, craz-e said:

those wedges sure look sweet 

They really nailed it with the wedges. Great look, feel, and performance. Need more time on course with the spinner shafts, but they seem good on the range. 

7 minutes ago, grochol17 said:

When you get enough testing in, I'm interested in knowing the distances and gapping you're getting for the utility compared to the DP Forged irons.

Absolutely. I am hoping to get something in the middle of my 5 iron and my 7 wood. I’m guessing the 3 bent a degree weak will be it, but time will tell. 

I’ll provide a recap on my range session later today, for anyone curious on how testing is going. I couldn’t get around to it last night. 

• Like 1

Alright, here's my second outing update from my set. As previously mentioned, I didn't bring any of my Ping irons with me so I could just focus on the Wilsons, and I think this worked in my favor because I wasn't having to adjust to them back and forth between clubs. Let me break down my thoughts on the Dynapower Forged below.

Feel:

The heads definitely feel better than the Pings. One of the things I have really missed is the feeling of a flushed forged iron, and the Wilsons definitely deliver there. They are forged out of 8620, and when you catch one you can really tell because they feel excellent. Mishits aren't super jarring, partially because of the UST Recoil 105s I have in them, and I think also partially because of "Optimized Power Hole" (probably not their best naming efforts lol) technology on the longer irons. 

Forgiveness:

I think I got a better feel here this trip to the range as well. I can tell the longer irons (5-7 have the "Power Hole") are going to be at least as forgiving as my i230s, but I won't really know till I'm on the course. Mishits still get out there and go, and ball flight looks comparable to solid shots. 

Ball flight: 

As mentioned on my initial review, I do hit these higher than my Pings, but after hitting exclusively them I don't think it's an issue. The flight was strong, and looked like it would still hold up in the wind. Obviously the golf course is going to be the real test, but I don't think they're going to be an issue. I love the flight out of the 5 iron, and could really easily play the 4 iron as well. 

Distance:

I goofed and forgot my rangefinder because the clip broke on it. The range was also playing 20 yards further up, and I had more wind behind me than what there usually is. All that being said, I think these go a long way. The lofts are close enough to the i230s where it won't be a huge difference is my guess, but I do think they're going to be a touch longer since they're 1°-1.5° stronger throughout the set. 

Happy to answer any extra questions on these. My next update will be an on course review in a couple weeks as I've got some things going on that will keep be away from golf for a bit. Definitely expecting the irons, wedges, and a utility to make the bag at this point. 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2024 at 7:34 PM, hammergolf said:

That’s just a wee bunker… lol Wait till you see the really deep ones. Road Hole and Hell bunker have almost 8ft faces.

You’re right.  This was indeed just a wee bunker! lol 

• Like 1

Wilson DYNAPWR Carbon - Project X Denali

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW - Steelfiber 110x
Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54*, 60* Tour Issue Spinner Shafts
Ping Oslo

4 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

You’re right.  This was indeed just a wee bunker! lol 

What’s been your favorite course so far?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 hours ago, hammergolf said:

What’s been your favorite course so far?

Too early to call.  Need to let it all simmer… 

Wilson DYNAPWR Carbon - Project X Denali

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW - Steelfiber 110x
Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54*, 60* Tour Issue Spinner Shafts
Ping Oslo

On 6/5/2024 at 2:11 AM, knudson81 said:

Notice anything different?

IMG_5425.jpeg.aa23aadee14112d06daaf1ab29c24c08.jpeg

IMG_5426.jpeg.711eb5e2a55346826a508c77ce1f62cc.jpeg

IMG_5427.jpeg.1672c180340986cba4a505d1d4dd0166.jpeg

IMG_5428.jpeg.ca8c9f59a141b5f75bbd42563f6f2aa4.jpeg

IMG_5429.jpeg.92ec17294939c499b0e8021ad1e79216.jpeg

IMG_5430.jpeg.b2806d9d22c0335ca6707224d1597fab.jpeg

IMG_5431.jpeg.2c2b86b4d112c57add99c41b76b7f6a0.jpeg
IMG_5433.jpeg.ba5c6cf1b7eaef2801b03f11e0e786d6.jpeg

Just caught up on reading the awesome experiences in this thread. What an amazing trip for those involved.

Could someone direct me to the online petition for Wilson to release a set of bead-blasted CBs please?! I don’t care if I’m not good enough to hit them; I’ll buy them and wait till I am! 

• Like 1

Dr: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ Tensei 1K Black 65S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

5W: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

4H: Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Tensei 1K Black 85S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Align Grey Grip

5-UW: PING G425 Blue Dot w/ Project X 6.0 LZ (+1") and Golf Pride CPX Midsize Grips

54º: Vokey SM9 54º12D w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

58º: Vokey SM9 58º08M w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Bridgestone Tour B X

3 hours ago, TreqJosh said:

Just caught up on reading the awesome experiences in this thread. What an amazing trip for those involved.

Could someone direct me to the online petition for Wilson to release a set of bead-blasted CBs please?! I don’t care if I’m not good enough to hit them; I’ll buy them and wait till I am! 

Sign me up for that and raw wedges 

• Like 2

Any more witb photos coming. Its going to be a long and boring day at work.

• Like 1

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

2 HYBRID-

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 24 TAYLORMADE TP5 / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

On 6/11/2024 at 7:10 AM, golfnerd91 said:

Ditto! Love to see some more of that simple Wilson style! A nice visor, bucket cap or flat brimmed cord hat. A couple sweater vests, v-necks or windbreakers. Some black, white or red socks with the classic Wilson W! Maybe even a shoe collab with FootJoy, Cole Haan or Ecco to bring out some nice wing tips or soft spike tennis shoes. 

As one of the few legacy brands still in the marketplace, Wilson Golf seems primed to lean into their heritage and offer products that appeal as classy, upmarket and retro. More Sinatra, less Andrew Dice Clay. 

They went through a period of trying to be competitive in the super game improvement space. One of my regular playing partners has a set of Wilson irons he loves. They are huge and chunky and dull looking with tons of sole and offset. They work, but they don't even hint at the quality or class that the Wilson Staff Forged irons probably had in the same year these shovels were released. 

The pitch for buying Wilson over the last couple of decades has been "we offer the same performance as the big guys at a more affordable price point." It's great to see them pivoting to stoke desirability for the gear on its own merits. 

I think a big part of setting the right impression will have to include getting away from having the Wilson name show up on starter sets in discount stores. I assume there's meant to be some brand differentiation between "Wilson" and "Wilson Staff" products but that's not really clear to the marketplace. 

All the products featured in this thread look fantastic. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I assume there's meant to be some brand differentiation between "Wilson" and "Wilson Staff" products but that's not really clear to the marketplace. 

This is their biggest marketing issue at the moment. Very few people will stop and look long enough to differentiate one of their 'store brand' box sets for beginners and the Staff models that are amazingly high quality for the price they stamp on them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

Wilson looks a wee bit like nothing more than an employee boys club from my view as a customer.  So this is their marketing with this outing, a few views at WRX?

Such an awesome experience for the participants we've fallowed here.  Nothing on Wilson Golf youtube as this

thread train looses momentum.  Nothing from Wilson except a couple marginal insteegram pics.

I dunno,  it's so typical Wilson.  I paid for my Wilson product and continue to spread my satisfaction with the product, sometimes it feels like the current customers are more passionate about the product than Wilson itself.

Probably just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orchardist said:

Wilson looks a wee bit like nothing more than an employee boys club from my view as a customer.  So this is their marketing with this outing, a few views at WRX?

Such an awesome experience for the participants we've fallowed here.  Nothing on Wilson Golf youtube as this

thread train looses momentum.  Nothing from Wilson except a couple marginal insteegram pics.

I dunno,  it's so typical Wilson.  I paid for my Wilson product and continue to spread my satisfaction with the product, sometimes it feels like the current customers are more passionate about the product than Wilson itself.

Probably just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...🤣🤣🤣

They had a crew out with hundreds of thousands of dollars of video gear. There’s definitely more to come. 

• Like 4

Ed with Wilson turned my 8 and PW around in a day (long story but the wrong heads were grabbed in what I can only imagine was a mad dash to get these sets put together), so I now have a complete set of the blades 4-PW. 

I got out Sunday and rolled with the 3 utility, irons and wedges. The blades really allow for a low shot that cuts through the breeze, I had a shot on a par 3 where I was really thinking I didn’t have enough club and I ended up past pin high. For a blade, the misses are really not that punishing and I hit a lot of good shots with them. I hit a few where I worked it slightly to hold against wind or get a little extra with a draw and they did everything I asked.

The utility surprised me, I knew it was good at my last range session but it seems to come off lower despite having more loft than my T200. I hit it over the green from 240 on a par 5 which shocked me. The stock HZRDUS 4G stays with me and seems to be a good match for my irons.

The wedges continue to impress me, really nice turf interaction and great feedback. They did a great job with the grind on the 60* if you like lower bounce grinds meant to be manipulated.

Traveling to San Diego next week and planning to bring everything there for more on course testing.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

17 hours ago, Orchardist said:

Look forward to that!  They already have me as an extremely satisfied customer, the excitement lies in sharing the passion of an outstanding product. 

Wilson’s got the two young guys who seem to be social media superstars on the GoodGood tour. Another similar site has people testing the DPF. ZM and the Utility getting love on IG and X. The customers they want/need to engage don’t care if they advertise in Golf or GD. I think the Nota Begay Junior Tournament is in the summer and Wilson has sponsored it. It’s usually on GC. They see banners ads here other websites. I think they are doing a good job and sense it’s only going to get better 

Edited by Steve o
  • Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

On 6/20/2024 at 11:01 AM, BraxtonFullerton said:

This is their biggest marketing issue at the moment. Very few people will stop and look long enough to differentiate one of their 'store brand' box sets for beginners and the Staff models that are amazingly high quality for the price they stamp on them.

Promise you won't mistake the Staff Models for a store brand box set if you see them in a standard display. Even in plastic they stood out nicely at PGASS and asked to be picked up. Anyone who's in there looking for high quality irons isn't going to pass them by. Honestly true of all the irons now, as all the sets look clean. 

They do have some issue in that AFAIK they are entirely absent from Dick's/GG other than golf balls and maybe gloves, which means a lot of retail eyeballs never seeing the MB or CB in person or the Dynapwr drivers & woods. Nothing beneficial about that. 

1 hour ago, PedronNiall said:

Promise you won't mistake the Staff Models for a store brand box set if you see them in a standard display. Even in plastic they stood out nicely at PGASS and asked to be picked up. Anyone who's in there looking for high quality irons isn't going to pass them by. Honestly true of all the irons now, as all the sets look clean. 

They do have some issue in that AFAIK they are entirely absent from Dick's/GG other than golf balls and maybe gloves, which means a lot of retail eyeballs never seeing the MB or CB in person or the Dynapwr drivers & woods. Nothing beneficial about that. 

I’m an admitted Wilson homer but these are beautiful clubs. Right there with Mizuno and the best of the best. They differentiate from the box set mainly because the box sets in a box. Actually for the beginner they’re pretty good 

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag