2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

WITB? mat562...

Nice pick up on the 681's. I have had a set in my bag for some time now while I wait for my Scratch irons. Definitely the best set of blades that Titleist ever made. I don't believe that I have seen a set with the old Sandvik Ti in them before. Be sure to keep us up to date as to how they perform for you. A couple yards carry per club certainly sounds promising.

Cheers mat, I got a big bag but sick of walking around with 15 empty pockets and 'cooler' that i have never used.

Sun mountain makes a couple of great "Sunday" bags as well. One w/o a stand and a great little stand bag that's much smaller than most. Nothing but great things to say about either one.

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.php?cPath=3469_3474_3405

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.php?cPath=3469_3474_3403

BDLz

The death knell's sounded for my new shafts. Albeit some elements were welcome (a bit of extra length and a stronger and higher flight) I was too inconsistent with them distance-wise and struggled to work the ball with as much confidence as I usually do with my irons.

I played this morning and bagged my old set of X100 shafted 681s to pretty good effect, so I'm sticking with those for the time being. I'll keep messing with the other set to see if I can get them up to the required standard, but back to the old faithful shafts for now - albeit I'm sticking with the Titleists over my Nikes in the form of my old set.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

• 2 weeks later...

A friend has given me a new 60 to try out: a raw Vokey 2006 Prototype; 60 degrees with a T-grind.

Since my beloved old Nike Forged 60 is getting a bit sparse in the groove department it's a possible replacement if it works out - albeit it'll be tough to tell on our permafrost practice green...

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

You seem to be a magnet for gifts mat :P

Very true mate.

I'm being spoiled rotten lately. :D

• 2 weeks later...

After some of Wally Uihlein's heavies came round earlier, I was persuaded to put another Titleist club into play and allowed to keep my kneecaps.

Only kidding. I had a bit of a session on the field of dreams this afternoon and, after a bit of watery sunshine came along, the hour I'd planned turned into a bit more than three hours and the question 'is the dinner hot?' as I walked into the kitchen got the reply 'it depends on whether some yobbos have set the wheelie bin alight...'

After a bit of a session with a clutch of drivers, an old stager in the form of a 905S has gone back under Marvin the Great Dane headcover. A bit less loft (9.5 degrees) than usual, but shafted up with - you guessed it - a Grafalloy Blue. It was giving me a flatter ballflight, carrying a bit further, and was just as manoeuverable as the old faithful Ignite. Nice solid clunk too.

Grum, if you're interested mate, it's blind bored and is 44 1/2" and at D-4 after a cheeky bit of hotmelting.

Belt and braces job mate. It was still a bit light.

Plus, the psychological value of a couple of grams of lead tape in the heel can't be overstated.

Say it isn't so Mat, ditching the Ignite 410? Man, I have an ignite head sitting around with your name all over it. Just kidding man. The bag looks great, slowly turning from an all Nike bag to an all Titleist bag.

Tour issue Aeroburner TP 10.5* Diamana D+ 70x
SLDR 15* & 19* Diamana blueboard 83x
Adams Red 20* Ozik x
Macgregor Pro-C 4 Iron X100
Macgregor Pro-M 5-PW X100
Callaway Forged Copper 54 & 60*
Scotty Cameron Classic black Newport 2 34"

Another freebie, in the form of a reasonable Vokey pitching wedge, has found its way to my door courtesy of a generous chum.

After a bit of a groove sprucing-up and a bit of tinkering with the bending bar, I've got a 200 series Oil Can 50 degree (now 49, though) wedge to play about with tomorrow as an alternative to the stock wedge I've been using that I'm not 100% comfortable with.

I also shafted up an old R7 TP 3 wood with a Grafalloy Epic shaft I was given before Xmas. The balance of the freebie universe is now restored since a friend (actually the one who gave me the shaft in the first place) has claimed it after hitting it and liking it... :rolleyes:

After some of Wally Uhlein's heavies came round earlier, I was persuaded to put another Titleist club into play and allowed to keep my kneecaps.

Only kidding. I had a bit of a session on the field of dreams this afternoon and, after a bit of watery sunshine came along, the hour I'd planned turned into a bit more than three hours and the question 'is the dinner hot?' as I walked into the kitchen got the reply 'it depends on whether some yobbos have set the wheelie bin alight...'

Mat, I'm shocked the Ignite has finally left the trusty pencil bag. You may get even more run if you play on some crazy frozen ground tomorrow.

Even my missus was in hysterics when I mentioned your wheelie bin comment :cheesy:

Glad to see the Grafalloy blue is still working for you :good: . Hey if its good enough for AlvaroQuiros and Stenson then go with what works.

Now if only we had their swing speed............ :cry:

PING LST 8.5' / Stretch 13.5' / G400 17'
Callaway Apex Pro 4 to PW, Mack Daddy Forged 50, 55, 60
Scotty X5, Vice Pro Plus in White

Really liking the new set up, inspired me to break out my old Founders Club 200 series forged set and give them a go, the old stingerator went back in the bag immediately! Either the Founders or the old Cobra Greg Norman signature blades may make a return to the bag in the near future.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

A picture of the faithful bats before a session on the field of dreams at the weekend. Room to stuff a few more in there with hindsight...

A bit different after seven years or so with Nike irons. I'm not entirely sure at least some of them won't make a return though, since the Nike short irons seem to be more to my liking than the Titleists at the moment. Half of the problem is the Titleists are going something like half a club further and it's tough to factor it in after a long time with the same set that you know inside-out. I've given some thought to actually bagging a combo set - with some old Nikes filling the 7-PW slots and the Titleists the rest.

I'm still not entirely sure about the driver situation either. The 905 gives me a cracking flight but I'm not as entirely comfortable at shaping shots with it as I am with the faithful old Nike if I'm honest

If I can get hold of another Nike 60 to replace my beloved old one, it'll also be back in play too - since I'm struggling to find a replacement 60 that matches up to it, as you can see from the bag picture above. I've tinkered with several Vokeys thus far in the off-season to find one that performs the same, but despite my efforts I'm coming up short. Next plan is to butcher a 588RTG I've got loafing in the cupboard and try to replicate the grind on my beloved old rusty Nike. Or pay up to have it re-grooved.

Still, the whole point of winter is to mess about tinkering with golf clubs. ;)

Apart from forfeiting the match for having 18 or 19 clubs in play mate... :fool:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice set mat!!

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of changes over the weekend.

I put an Anser 2 back into play - this time an inch shorter, a couple of degrees flatter than usual, and a bit heavier courtesy of what, if I say so myself, is a rather neatly applied bit of lead tape.

I also regripped my clubs with (gasp!) round grips as an experiment last week. 'Odd' is the best way to describe the feel after twenty-odd years of using ribbed ones.

man i just finished the entire thread and found that we have so many clubs in common!

i still keep the nike lob wedge (first generation), the old nike blades, the 681 (mine is T stamp), the scotty cameron putters (both are the same), the MP-14 (mine is 2-PW), and the ping answer 2 putter! all classic stuff!

on a side note, i also keep the heads of a PT 15 degree, a 970 silver head and non-silver head (both are 15 degree), a 975D 7.5 degree in DG-X100...lol

i just switched to an 8.5 degree 905T 3 weeks ago and reshafted it with a new AXIV shaft last week...

can you please show me the pic of your T-grind? i'm very curious...

I'll try and snap a pic and PM it to you if you're interested. It's got some identifying marks on it that are best left off an open forum for obvious reasons. Nothing fancy; just a common T Grind. If I'm honest, I'm still trying to find another Nike wedge so that I can a make my best effort at recreating the old faithful.

A couple of changes over the weekend.

I put an Anser 2 back into play - this time an inch shorter, a couple of degrees flatter than usual, and a bit heavier courtesy of what, if I say so myself, is a rather neatly applied bit of lead tape.

I also regripped my clubs with (gasp!) round grips as an experiment last week. 'Odd' is the best way to describe the feel after twenty-odd years of using ribbed ones.

Nice job on the tape. I'm back to using the old Anser 2 as well - with good results. A rather nice 6&5 win on sunday (4ball), mainly down to the putting of yours truly. Still keep eyeing up old Camerons though....

I'll try and snap a pic and PM it to you if you're interested. It's got some identifying marks on it that are best left off an open forum for obvious reasons. Nothing fancy; just a common T Grind. If I'm honest, I'm still trying to find another Nike wedge so that I can a make my best effort at recreating the old faithful.

please do, thanks mate. i'd love to see that and will keep the pic to myself.

well i had the exactly same wedge (actually two of them) but the entire golf bag was gone when my car was stolen 5 years ago; i didn't really get to find one on eBay or anywhere else...

looking fwd to your pic!

lol

Lovely putter, looks familiar :rolleyes:

Is it a subconsious thing or do you intentially try and get your dog in every pic!

I love the way you put "few changes over the weekend" as grips and lead tape on a putter... Most people on here its a set of irons, wedges and a 3 wood lol.... I wish i had your equipment tendencies by not changing every day... Sweet setup as allways!