2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cleveland HI BORE driver

gilleojax

HI all,

I'm a Belgian golf professional, and sponsored by Cleveland.

Lately i spoke to the rep, and he has been to Cleveland to decide on the strategy for this year.

The Hi-Bore will be launched globally the 25th of March.

It will be a 520cc 'like' head, because they have taken the crown away. The tungsten weught allows the player to launch the ball high, with little backspin. So maybe you'all will have to go a degree lower than you actuall play.

I have done quite a bit of testing with the Halo, and I like it. It's a fine hybrid and it plays easy.

Cleveland will organise demodays with a launch monitor, where they will tell you what loft, launch angle shaft,.. you will need.

I'm very excited about this driver and I believe it will be big, since 12 guys on tour are already using it.

Hope this info helps.

And a 47" driver could be possible, but only if you are very strong. Think about what it will do to your swingweight!

Vijay already plays a driver that is D-8 in swingweight, so I think it's possible.

Regards,

Matt.

very good info. makes sense to me.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the hi-bore today and was very impressed. First, the name stands for trajectory and has nothing to do with the bore of the shaft as I thought. The ball flight was explained to me much like the project x. The ball gets up quick and flattens out. The spin rates on the launch monitor were very low. I doubt there will be many people playing 8.5 or 9.5 in this club. As for the club itself, throw everything you know about the conventional modern 460 out the window. You tee this club up like a 3wood. The sweetspot is very wide and much lower than anything on the market, yet the spin rates are low. Cleveland has a monster here! Prepare for it to take the golf world by storm. Its like nothing out there and the accuracy is sick! No wonder Vijay is tinkering with a 47"! You have to try and hit it bad to get an offline trajectory. Cleveland is going to blow everyone out of the water with this one, its one helluva club!!!!

CLEVELAND GOLF INTRODUCES NEW HiBORE™ DRIVER

February 07, 2006

HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA... Cleveland Golf is excited to announce the future in powerful, high performance drivers with the new HiBORE driver. Developed with Distance Driven Geometry, this revolutionary new driver features the lowest, deepest center of gravity in golf, face-centered performance and a sleek clubhead that sits on a chassis that's 15% larger than other large volume drivers.

The HiBORE driver separates itself from traditional drivers by using Distance Driven Geometry to perfectly align the center of gravity projection with the center of the clubface. The CGP is the single point on the clubface where no head rotation or "gear effect" occurs at impact. Traditional drivers have a high CGP which makes the top of the clubface the only area capable of producing efficient launch conditions. The problem is that when golfers hit the ball high on the face, they sacrifice energy transfer. By aligning the CGP with the hottest part of the face, the HiBORE produces higher launching and lower spinning drives without the losses in ball speed typically seen with high face impacts on other drivers. The larger sweet spot resulting from this alignment also produces tighter dispersion.

The HiBORE's extra large chassis out sizes other large volume drivers by 15% for maximized stability. Internally, 25 grams of discretionary weight has been added to make it the longest, straightest driver ever tested by Cleveland Golf.

"There are about a handful of products that you would say actually changed golf," said Greg Hopkins, president/CEO of Cleveland Golf. "The HiBORE driver is definitely going to change golf. We've made some good drivers in the past, but the HiBORE is in a league of its own."

Though initially the HiBORE driver looks to be a departure from Cleveland Golf's traditional roots, its conventional profile and satin finish actually inspire added confidence at address. The new HiBORE driver will begin shipping on March 25, 2006 and will carry an MSRP of $498.

That´s one helluva price tag.

I wonder what the face size is, they state the chassis is big, but I wonder about the actual face. Currently the Cobra Speed drivers have the largest hitting area, and sasquatch has the most depth/breadth... I´d love to get some numbers on the size of the bore... I actually get a change to see it over the weekend, and if that´s the case, I´ll take pictures and measure.

It will probably be bigger than that. I don't see smaller clubs coming back into popularity. The shape is going to "trick" the 460cc rule however. Since the top is scooped out, they can actually make the sole and face much bigger because the scoop will change the displacement. Pretty smart, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the look. I never liked the scooped out hybrid look anyways.

If you read the USGA website concerning size restrictions, this exact scenario has been addressed. In cases where portions of the head have been 'sccoped out,' the USGA, for the purpose of determining volume through a displacement test, will fill in the removed area with puddy.

Cleveland Golf has stated that the shape of the Hi Bore was their way of moving the COG into a more advantageous position for spin and launch angle.

M5 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 125 X
Adams 5050 16* Altus 80 X
Tour Preferred Driving Iron 19* KBS Tour X
Adams CMB 4-GW Modus 105 X
Vokey SM8 56M & 60 Low Bounce K

Cameron Studio Select 1.5 ARMLOCK

I'm pretty much done buying drivers, but I may have to give the Hi-Bore a try. Just too different to pass up trying.

Bill3508

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

I would imagine the performance of the Hi-Bore driver will surpass the COMP modle. Why eles would Vijay switch to it? On the final round of the Mercedez Open Vijay's driving accuracy was at 79% with an average distance of 294 yards! Pretty damn good considering he was faced with 35 mph gusts head on for alot of the round, and some of the toughest fairways out there. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for posting pics, you are all awsome!

While i'm anxious to demo this driver....the fairways at the mercedes are like 50 yards wide and some are even WIDER. So it shouldn't be that hard to find the fairway LOL.

I just got an e-mail from edwin watts, "the longest straightest driver ever tested by cleveland golf"... the color looks to be matt black, which should hide the odd shape. The scoring lines on the pic don´t look to hot.

Since cleveland golf don´t have an email, but phone numbers... is anyone willing to call them and ask them about the face size(I live in Iceland... so phoning them ain´t a great idea for me), since the driver is available for pre-order they shouldn´t be hiding any info. I think the largest face currently belongs to the Cobra Speed drivers at 65mm crown to sole and 122mm heel to toe. The deepest driver is the Sasquatch at 119mm front to back.

I love the big face on the cobra´s, but with it they´re giving up some depth/breadth to some manufacturers. I´d love to see how the numbers on the Hi-Bore compare... anyone willing to call them and find out?

Just got to look at the driver at the course, Cleveland rep was there talking big things about the driver. At first the look is a little different but after screwing around with it for 15-20 I got to where I didn't even notice the scoop. The finish is kind of a matte black/grey finish that I think helps hide the scoop very well. I compared the face to the face of a COMP and I feel they are very comparable in size (HiBore looked maybe a tiny bit smaller to my eye). The size of the club from address looks bigger than the COMP but smaller than the SQ by a mile, maybe kinda like the SQ tour we were comparing it to.

He talked in comparison to his COMP and the HiBore Cleveland fit him with. He said he played a 8.5 COMP with 757x and ended up getting fit with a HiBore 10.5 with v2 75x and his RPM dropped by 800-900 and his launch went from 12 to 15* and he said that equaled 12-15 yards.

After our little talk he asked me some questions about my swing and current set-up I'm using and we got my order down for a HiBore 9.5 with v2 75x. He said that these will ship out by April 1st, and March 25th in some of the higher traffic areas. I also got the v2 at no upcharge with sweetend the deal. Ending order price $399.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

So the size of the face isn´t as big as a Cobra, and the depth nowhere near a sasquatch. I´d hoped that with they´re design they could catch up with both of them, but neither? Then what´s the point of the design? The lack of a crown will only marginaly lower the CG and the fact that there´s the double face going on will hurt hem in having a deep CG, but I thought they would have a long face and use the rule to have the same size for the deepth to have a deep CG, but they seem to be doing neither. What´s everyone´s opinion on this?

Just got to look at the driver at the course, Cleveland rep was there talking big things about the driver. At first the look is a little different but after screwing around with it for 15-20 I got to where I didn't even notice the scoop. The finish is kind of a matte black/grey finish that I think helps hide the scoop very well. I compared the face to the face of a COMP and I feel they are very comparable in size (HiBore looked maybe a tiny bit smaller to my eye). The size of the club from address looks bigger than the COMP but smaller than the SQ by a mile, maybe kinda like the SQ tour we were comparing it to.

I know its the reps job to talk the hell out of this thing, but he said that Cleveland felt that everyone has gotten to the point to where they were about all this technology but you can't see it, so they decided to take it to the next level, like Nike did with the SQ, but made it look almost classic (not gawdy like the SQ with the power bar).

He talked in comparison to his COMP and the HiBore Cleveland fit him with. He said he played a 8.5 COMP with 757x and ended up getting fit with a HiBore 10.5 with v2 75x and his RPM dropped by 800-900 and his launch went from 12 to 15* and he said that equaled 12-15 yards.

After our little talk he asked me some questions about my swing and current set-up I'm using and we got my order down for a HiBore 9.5 with v2 75x. He said that these will ship out by April 1st, and March 25th in some of the higher traffic areas. I also got the v2 at no upcharge with sweetend the deal. Ending order price $399.

To end my conversation with the rep I said, "If this thing sucks I'm gonna find you." and his response, "won't see ya anytime soon."

can't wait until april 1st

Interesting...I really want to give this thing a hack right now! Better start saving

[sign here]

the V2 is standard with no upcharge. It is a stock offering.

The RPM's with this thing are ridiculous. They are non-existant. The best part is now you can tee the damn ball down again, and not worry about your bro idiot marking it!! The sweet spot and CG are in the same spot. Great driver. Will be the story of the year.

The NATIONAL release date is 3/25---huge ad time during the Players Champ that weekend.

The price point could hurt it. Especially when an X460 or Sasquatch with premium shaft retails for $100 less.

That said... :D

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I ordered mine directly from the Cleveland rep that was at my course yesterday. I tried to get him to let me hit the demo he had, but he said that Cleveland didn't like the idea. I know its more rep talk, but he also said that Cleveland has sold 60k Comps total and they have ordered more than 70k HiBore heads...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

"The Cleveland HiBORE driver separates itself from traditional drivers by using Distance Driven Geometry to perfectly align the center of gravity projection with the center of the clubface. The CGP is the single point on the clubface where no head rotation or "gear effect" occurs at impact. Traditional drivers have a high CGP which makes the top of the clubface the only area capable of producing efficient launch conditions. The problem is that when golfers hit the ball high on the face, they sacrifice energy transfer. By aligning the CGP with the hottest part of the face, the HiBORE produces higher launching and lower spinning drives without the losses in ball speed typically seen with high face impacts on other drivers. The larger sweet spot resulting from this alignment also produces tighter dispersion."

I don´t understand this. Generally today one want´s to hit on the upper area of the head to get the most vertical gear effect, they´re saying this area is where there is no such effect. They must be typing this stuff wrong... They must have the CG so low(certainly not centrally) that the head produces a vertical gear effect on center impacts(where the COR/CT is the highest), and therefore have the highest speed and best launch conditions in the sam spot(whereas other drivers have them on seperate spots).

I wonder how they claim they are doing this since the head isn´t that huge(I doubt the lower lack of crown is enough to do this magic trick).

I´d would be awesome if somone would ask their rep og call cleveland with some of these questions and about the face size as I mentoned in a previous post(I doubt I´ll buy this baby if the face is much smaller than the amazing cobra speed´s).

It seems to be forgotten that with a tall face like the Cobra´s have... it´s easier to get a relative lower CG. That´s what I don´t like about the sasquatch... even though the the CG is deep, it won´t go that low compared to the center because the face ain´t that big. But the Hi-Bore design could be the best of both worlds if used correctly...which it doesn´t seem to do??