2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger has arthroscopic knee surgery

tbowles411

i really can't believe what some are suggesting..that he would use this as an excuse? go have surgery?

why not just say, i had a bum knee and could have won without it..if there is one thing about Tiger, no excuses...he sucked at the master's by his own standards..he's made no excuses..

Amen, I could of sworn the first thing he said was he didnt putt well enough to win, not my knee is hurting post-interview. I highly doubt tiger would use this as an excuse.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he looked sick, too. He was wincing and kind of ashen. I thought he had a flu or some other virus. He definitely didn't look well. I remember reading that because he shakes so many hands, he's often sick. I just thought it was another bug.

Watch the coverage again and I think you'll see the same thing.

It's kind of a bummer because I think the surgery really hampers his chances at Torrey Pines. You've got to figure Phil as the prohibitive favorite, even though it pains me to think that.

Cheers,

Ben

i wonder how well he will recover.

And if it will affect his game permanently.

Because if i remember correctly didnt Ernie Else have knee surgery too? Or shoulder or something like that?

And ever since then he has not been able to play the same

But he is the great Tiger Woods. So who knows

Ernie tore his ACL. If Tiger had torn his ACL, he would not be playing golf at all. Probably a torn meniscus, the docs probably went in and cleaned things up a bit, little tears, floaters even.

I tore mine pretty bad when I was 14 years old playing back yard football. Never got it fixed until I was 42 when it finally locked up on me. It hurt sort of bad off and on for almost 30 years. After the surgery and a couple of months rehab, it felt much better than it ever did in all those years. But mine was the right knee, not as much stress as the left knee for a right handed golfer. Golf wise, I don't think it was a major problem, I played in pain off and on a fair amount, but it was the walking that was more of a problem as opposed to the actual swing. It also cut short my brief High School basketball career.....and made playing things like tennis harder for sure....

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Now the assumed records wins and majors really is at risk. Few athletes have ever continued on at the same high level after three knee surgeries on the same knee. Superb condition or not the fact remains he has had three knee surgeries on the same knee. Damaged cartilage has been removed twice and a tumor once. Look for a shortened schedule and much less practice time from here on out to save what is left of the joint. Jack never had any surgery on his joints until he was well into his 60s and that was a hip replacement. Also does go to show it wasn't totally Butch's swing teachings that caused the first two surgeries as many including Tiger have hinted at....Yes these surgeries aren't as severe as MCL or ACL but the fact remains the joint integrity is eroding and no amount of exercise or being in shape rejuvenates that....

Obvious now why Steve helped Tiger out of the bunker, he wasn't exhausted due to the stress of the week like the idiot CBS announcers speculated.

Very concerned about that, hope he will be well after surgery and back on the course at his top.

I know how it could be difficult sometimes, the most terrible probably Severiano.

I had ACL long time ago, then meniscus and some more, moved to cartilage damage last year.

At this point, the problem is not playing golf, but simply walking....

but I'm 56, much more easy to recover at 30.

hope the best for him.

so how scared is the rest of the tour knowing that Tiger just beat EVERYBODY but one guy at the Masters with a bad knee?

Wouldn't worry about the majors records, if he's finishing 2nd w/ a bum knee on a hilly track its entirely possible he could win 1 or 2 in the twilight of his career if the track lays out right.

I think though the knee may mean that when Tigers done with golf, he's DONE. Not that I had any grand delusions of Tiger playing the Champions Tour :D But I don't think he's going to be teeing it up like Palmer and Player. I think if he doesn't think he can win he won't play.

I think one of the main reasons he has blown that knee out 3 times is that if you read his book, he basically tells you he locks that knee back on the down swing when he needs a little extra distance since it makes your hips clear through faster.

Now, imagine doing that as often as he has, if he keeps that stuff up he's not going to be playing much longer.

Oh, and by the way, he isn't making excuses, Tiger is not the sort to blame others for his mistakes, he takes it squarely on himself.

I can see that because it's a military thing he got from his father.

As all the present military and vets know, there are no excuses as to why you screwed up, you screwed up and now take responsibility for that, and Earl ingrained that into Tiger.

I am so ticked off about this. I am going to the Wachovia in 14 days and was really hoping to see Tiger. I have never been to a PGA event before and was so pumped that it was a big tourny with Tiger.

Ok now that I am done being selfish, hopefully he recovers quickly and is ready to rock and roll at the US Open.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

Tiger will be fine. They went in to clean some things up and supposedly it was completely succesful. This will not cut his career short or any other drastic measure. Arthroscopic surgery is minimally invasive. It's not like he's torn his ACL three times, that would be a different story. I'm sure it's been bothering him and he just wanted to have it all taken care of before the other 3 majors so he has nothing to worry about but his golf game and the golf course. He'll still win at least 2 majors this year and then everyone will be talking about what an amazing comeback season he's had after having knee surgery.

Bryan

so how scared is the rest of the tour knowing that Tiger just beat EVERYBODY but one guy at the Masters with a bad knee?

Wouldn't worry about the majors records, if he's finishing 2nd w/ a bum knee on a hilly track its entirely possible he could win 1 or 2 in the twilight of his career if the track lays out right.

I think though the knee may mean that when Tigers done with golf, he's DONE. Not that I had any grand delusions of Tiger playing the Champions Tour :D But I don't think he's going to be teeing it up like Palmer and Player. I think if he doesn't think he can win he won't play.

More importantly how scared is the Tour (management and players) that this will shorten his golf career???? There goes the money generator and back to the pre 1996 era purses (porportionally of course)... The viewership without Tiger in the tournament is a good example of who cares when he doesn't play. Look at the difference in ticket sales when he is in and out. I don't think anyone ever felt Tiger would haunt the senior tour. He has the same misgivings that Jack had about not being able to play at the level he was used to. Only with Tiger I think the opportunity to play at a reduced level is even more hideous. But with the knee problems he may not even make it competitively to senior tour age.... The big difference today versus when Jack played was there were still big name stars playing when Jack didn't. Today it is a bunch of who's that playing.. Ernie, VJ, Phil certainly don't draw the way Palmer, Trevino, Player, Watson etc. etc. did when Jack wasn't playing.

Now all the majors can hope for is they are the beginning of another Tiger slam...

I'm sure Tiger put it off as long as he could--realizing this would be the third time on that knee. Probably had good days and bad days, but when you've got pieces floating around, sooner or later you will have to have them removed especially if you are active like he is. Sounds pretty typical--OK swinging and walking but up and down hills and slippery underfooting is an entirely different matter. Only he and his surgeon know how close he is to bone on bone joint and how compromised the cartilage is after three operations (2 specifically for cartilage). Anyone who has had this type of operation knows he is headed for more "clean ups" down the road. I'm sure this will curtail a lot of his workouts---hopefully the running...

Too bad he'll miss the Player's but he's still the favorite at Torrey Pines. Bum knee or not.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Since Tiger failed to call me when he was here, I've decided not to call him when I'm in Windermere in October. :D

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I am so ticked off about this. I am going to the Wachovia in 14 days and was really hoping to see Tiger. I have never been to a PGA event before and was so pumped that it was a big tourny with Tiger.

Ok now that I am done being selfish, hopefully he recovers quickly and is ready to rock and roll at the US Open.

Don't feel selfish.... I'm coming over from the UK for Wachovia and Players.... oh well at least it will make for a couple of interesting events.... Will be good to see how Phil, Ernie and the others react to not chasing Tiger, or maybe I'll witness a Euro winner....

On the surgery side of things, if Tiger needed the operation he could click his fingers and the best knee surgeon in the world would be available that afternoon.

I agree that he was probably waiting to see how he finished in the Masters before scheduling the surgery, but if he needed it, then it would have to be done.

Realistically he was only going to play Wachovia, Players and maybe Memorial before the US Open so he's only missing 2 events. Wachovia at Quail Hollow he plays well and Players is a course he doesn't seem to like, so it's a shame for the fans but it will make the build up to the US Open huge....

The thing I don't get is why he chose to wait until now, in the heart of the season. His agent is quoted saying that Tiger has been feeling the pain since the middle of last year and that arthroscopic surgery was recommended then. Why not do the surgery the day after the Target World Challenge?

Doing it now means he either won't play 15 tour events this year and will get a medical extension from the Tour, or he'll have to play a couple tournaments he doesn't usually play.

I'm not criticizing. Just wondering.

I was thinking the exact same thing. My understanding is he didn't injure anything last week, but rather, he just went in to clean the knee up. So why not do it during the off season when he is skipping great events like Mercedes?

I know Tiger puts his attention on the majors, but this is getting ridiculous. He has never really played well at the players with only one win, and the timing of this surgery calls into question how much he cares about the players and wachovia.

I think it really sucks for wachovia given he is the defending champion.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

I was thinking the exact same thing. My understanding is he didn't injure anything last week, but rather, he just went in to clean the knee up. So why not do it during the off season when he is skipping great events like Mercedes?

I know Tiger puts his attention on the majors, but this is getting ridiculous. He has never really played well at the players with only one win, and the timing of this surgery calls into question how much he cares about the players and wachovia.

I think it really sucks for wachovia given he is the defending champion.

Considering that none of us here have an idea of the amount of pain that he may have felt, it is hard to say with any surety that he should have played.

He might have been in consultation with his doctor who told that if you feel this type of pain, you might come in. During the holidays, the pain probably went away and he thought it was over as the pain, swelling and other symptons were absent...Lord knows the paying public will call him out for having surgery for a "minor" knee issues: get the cortisone, wrap it up and keep moving...

Ever had back issues or knee issues? Ever sprained an ankle or wrist? You go as long as you can until the pain is too much.

quote]

Considering that none of us here have an idea of the amount of pain that he may have felt, it is hard to say with any surety that he should have played.

He might have been in consultation with his doctor who told that if you feel this type of pain, you might come in. During the holidays, the pain probably went away and he thought it was over as the pain, swelling and other symptons were absent...Lord knows the paying public will call him out for having surgery for a "minor" knee issues: get the cortisone, wrap it up and keep moving...

Ever had back issues or knee issues? Ever sprained an ankle or wrist? You go as long as you can until the pain is too much.

That's kind of my point--Tiger seems more pragmatic than that, especially when surgery had been recommended a long time ago.

I had shoulder surgery in December. I probably could have made it to April, but then I ran the risk of losing a whole season. So instead, I scheduled the surgery for the first date I was sure I wouldn't still be playing here and gave myself the long winter to recover.

I noticed right away that Tiger was having trouble getting up out of the bunkers.

First thought was BACk and then Knee.

At his performance level a slight to moderate knee tweek could mean a 10 to 20 yard miss into the green which we saw a lot at this years Masters. Lots of long putts and chips that drove the scoring up not down.

I have had a 'scope of the shoulder. I waited 9 months and lost almost 50% muscle mass trying the alternate rehab methods (stretching, cordizone 2x times) before the scope. It took almost 6 months to get back up to 90 % again.

Remember that Johnny Miller's career was toast when his knees went.

All the best to him in the recovery.

Question: Will Tiger get his required 15 tour events to qualify?

Maybe the F-keed-up cup will not be a run away this year.

I hope to see him at his best at the US OPEN.

My wife wants him to WIN, I just am happy to see all the pros play and marvel at their skill level.

I am clearing room on the CARDS to buy the USOPEN marketing and retail binge Tent goods.

Next we are going to hear that this is the affects of steriod abuse. hahahahaha.

Pretty sad for somebody like say, Moob Mickelson that Tiger with a bad knee playing on course that is very hard to walk still can top him. Takes nothing away from Immelman, he flat out putted better then Tiger, but I don't see this as Tiger making excuses.

He's in amazing shape. I think he'll come back VERY quickly. After my left knee was 'scoped, I was climbing around the US Intrepid in NYC 1 week post-op. I'd had a total knee reconstruction on my right knee a few years earlier, so I knew what the pain and rehab would be like. I worked hard at it, immediately, and I recovered fast. His conditioning regimen is so tough, he's used to pushing through the pain.

Only he and his surgeon know how close he is to bone on bone joint and how compromised the cartilage is after three operations (2 specifically for cartilage). Anyone who has had this type of operation knows he is headed for more "clean ups" down the road. I'm sure this will curtail a lot of his workouts---hopefully the running...

Great point there. Maybe it' time for something low impact for cardio, such as swimming or cycling. Running that much on a knee that's been operated on three times won't help any.

No doubt, Tiger is a tough guy. Yet, this makes his six week absence all the more conspicuous. Just watched TGW, and apparently Steinberg is saying the knee problem occurred last year at the PGA. Would it be better for tiger to get a quick scope now as opposed to later? Sure. But if he knew it was a problem last year, why not do it then? I don't advocate coming back too soon, but eveything I've read about scoping indicates you are essentially back to normal after 2-3 weeks, not 6.

Believe me, I root for tiger hard, but at this point, he's looking at playing 10 US events, at most. Pretty weak if you ask me.

Guess I'll have to hope Ernie somehow remembers how to go low again. Or perhaps Couples will get over the Masters and win one or two. Or maybe Immelman will wi. . .well, let's be honest.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

The question of why wait may have to do with the procedure. If it was a meniscus problem and they were going to have to do a menisectomy, then it may have been an attempt to rehab and live with it. This is because the removal of a third of the meniscus increases joint pressure 60% and removal of the entire meniscus increases it 300%. These types of increases in joint loads lead to early arthritis. Surgeons will sometimes say the surgery needs to be done but recommend that you attempt to get physical therapy and maintain the integrity of the knee as long as possible without surgery to avoid the large increases in joint pressures. Once again, I'm not saying this is what happened but this is a possibility for why he waited.