How much does club fitting matter???

Bogeyman82

I am a fairly new, fairly high handicap golfer. This will be my third year of playing. I play Callaway X-14 irons with a steel shaft, and shoot around 95 on average. I have been thinking about getting my irons fit, and getting the loft and lie checked, however I am hitting them very well right now and am a little hesitant to do that. My Dad got his irons adjusted for the first time last year, and he doesn't feel like it made a huge difference for him. With my handicap being so high, would I really benefit from getting my irons adjusted?? Also, what are the chances that, over the years, the loft angles have become messed up? I'm not sure if that really happens to cast clubs, or if it is mainly forged clubs that this is an issue with? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With cast clubs, I wouldn't worry about it. Mainly because there's nothing you can really do about it anyway. Cast clubs can not be bent without the risk of snapping them, unless you want to send them back to the factory and pay them too much money to adjust them for you.

Assuming your delivering the club head to the ball in a fairly consistent manner ... If you really want to know if the lie angle is right for you ... take a piece of black electrical tape and put a piece over the bottom of the club. Hit about 5-6 balls off of a mat ... turn the club over and see where the abrasion is at.

If it covers most of the bottom of the club ... you're good to go.

If it mainly covers the toe (and the area near the heel is untouched), your clubs are too flat

If it mainly covers the heel (and the area near the toe is untouched), your clubs are too upright

ive found that if you are close to standard lie (+/- 2* maybe?), you won't notice a HUGE difference if you aren't fit. however, you will notice a bigger difference if you are not fit for length. i went from standard to +3/4" this season. im striking the ball as good as i ever have now. i used to hit a lot of thin and toe shots. now ill hit it solid and my miss is slightly on the toe (but very close to the sweet spot). im sure if you need clubs that are approaching 2* or more in lie difference, you'll start spraying the ball a bit more due to poor contact and a clubhead that rotates improperly through impact

If you are avergae build...hitting Callys, I would say little effect at this point.

However, fittings in general can be very beneficial.

I'd say that a putter fitting is the single most important item

Followed by driver / other woods

Followed by irons

I have been fitted for all of my clubs and the putter was the most obvious improvement.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

People with reasonable athletic ability will rapidly adjust to clubs that are misfit unless they are way off. It may not be optimal but what in golf is? Unless you are very tall, very short or otherwise out of proportion, standard clubs will fit you well enough. When you have honed your game to near perfection, and swing the club consistently from day to day, a club fitting might get you an extra one percent.

Steve

I would. If, you are trying to hit standard oem clubs off the rack. You could easily be given an extra 1/2+" in your shaft length and a lie adjustment for your dimensions. At least for irons.

I'm a relative beginner too (less than 1 yr playing), and due to my more upright swing, they added 1/2" to my length and .75* upright for my irons even though most static fittings say that I should be fine with a standard off the rack set (6' 1/2" and 36" WTF with shoes on).

Now I hit my irons better (more comfortably) than ever.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

With cast clubs, I wouldn't worry about it. Mainly because there's nothing you can really do about it anyway. Cast clubs can not be bent without the risk of snapping them, unless you want to send them back to the factory and pay them too much money to adjust them for you.

Assuming your delivering the club head to the ball in a fairly consistent manner ... If you really want to know if the lie angle is right for you ... take a piece of black electrical tape and put a piece over the bottom of the club. Hit about 5-6 balls off of a mat ... turn the club over and see where the abrasion is at.

If it covers most of the bottom of the club ... you're good to go.

If it mainly covers the toe (and the area near the heel is untouched), your clubs are too flat

If it mainly covers the heel (and the area near the toe is untouched), your clubs are too upright

you can bend cast clubs some of them can be bent more than forged clubs.

by all means get them fit it will help alot if your way off

cbgolf:

Based on your static measurements I would say you need one half to three quarters overlength and perhaps two or three degrees upright. That wouldn't hurt but for a new golfer swing work does much more than club work. The problem with equipment oriented sites is that you get the impression that the way to improve is through Edwin Watts. It isn't, its at the range.

Steve

1) Clubfitting means different things to different people- for some it's about checking lie angles, for others it means a comprehensive assessment with an integrated installation.

2) Most golfers, less than 2%, have never had a thorough assessment by a first-rate professional

3) The equipment industry is quite immature, and there are not easily accessible locations with first-rate professional fitters

4) There is a certain "terror" among golfers regarding the notion of fitting, mostly because golfers are so under-informed. (for example- most everyone on these forums has the skills to shop for and purchase a car- but most have no clue how to purchase a first rate set- BE HONEST...)

5) Efficient Equipment Information and Fitting Education is very minor on the agenda of the golf industry, and thus it takes a long time for many equipment myths to disappear, and for factual data to become commonplace (For example- the average loft on putters on tour is in the 1-2 degree range- yet most golfers are playing with 3-4 degrees of loft. 1-2 degrees is more efficient for all golfer types and all putter types (on today's modern grasses), yet most golfers just accept what they are given because without adequate information, they have no reason to change.)

6) Slowly but surely- Fitting is going to dominate many discussions in the future. Why? Better Performance! More Fun! Easier! Less work!

7) Fitting Options will improve, become more accruate, more interactive, will provide more immediate benefits, will be more accessible, will be better integrated into the purchase event.

8) In the meantime, experiment, test, connect, and find a good fitter.

Regards, 3

If you take 10 golfers out on the golf course you will most likely find 10 different physiques and 10 different swings. So yes I think it matters very much especially for people who's got a fairly established swing.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

Don't only get your irons adjusted. Get a whole fitted set. Fit it to your body.

Higher handicappers benefit even more from getting properly fit clubs than really good players.

Read stuff before you do a fitting because you never know... there is a lot of bullsh** information out there.

Start with Tom Wishons "12 Myths that could wreck your golf game" Wishon is THE man concerning clubfitting and component clubs.

The information you get from reading Tom Wishon stuff will help you find a good clubfitter in your area.

I've been fitted a few times, the most recent just earlier this year for my Ping G10 irons. In my case, the fittings always say standard lie, standard length, R-flex. I am average height, average build, etc. But at least I have the confidence to know that my clubs are right for me. In the future, I might buy a set of clubs without a fitting, because I know my specs. I think almost everyone would benefit from doing this at least once.

I have "reasonable " athletic ability but i'm 6"3 with 38.5 wtf measurement .

I (as basically a beginner) should be fitted. Right?

I am 6'2" with a 38.5" inch wtf. I would say you almost certainly need an upright club (2-4 degr) and probably +1/4 - 3/4". I wish I had bought fitted clubs 20 years ago when I started. I played off the rack clubs for the first 15+ years of my golf life and developed some bad habits trying to compensate. My ping specs - Silver (3.75 degr upright) and +1/2.

Regardless of ability, size or gender Custom fitting will help your game. Think about like this- You don't walk into a shoe store and Only find size 8.5, yes some people will fit into 8.5's but the percentage is small- most people have unique swings..and there is nothing worse than looking at a beginner golfer trying to overcome ill fitting clubs just to hit the ball. I see way too many people with clubs that are too long and too upright- even the OEM's are pumping out irons that are longer and more upright each year...... If you are a new golfer(or even an old one) find a club fitter with a great reputation- and then find a great instructor for at least 3-5 lessons- you'll thank yourself!

in general club fitting is extremely beneficial. but, if you're a high handicapper, you're likely still working hard to build a repeatable swing, and the swing you have probably has some faults that need to be fixed. so, while you might not be ready for a full-fledged dynamic fitting, a static fitting will probably be helpful.

I've been fitted a few times, the most recent just earlier this year for my Ping G10 irons. In my case, the fittings always say standard lie, standard length, R-flex. I am average height, average build, etc. But at least I have the confidence to know that my clubs are right for me. In the future, I might buy a set of clubs without a fitting, because I know my specs. I think almost everyone would benefit from doing this at least once.

It's a good start what you did, but according to what you wrote you have only had a VERY basic fitting (probably in a golf shop or from a club pro), which in my eyes is not a fitting at all.

The statement "i need standard R-Flex" proves the point.

You should also read Tom wishons "12 Myths" (its just a few pages) and/or "search for the perfect golf club".

There are over 20 fitting aspects that are used to customize the clubs to your body;

most important ones of those are:

length,lie,loft,shaft flex,shaft bend profile,shaft weight,overall club weight,swingweight,offset,face angle (woods),sole angle(irons),grip size and weight

a quality launch monitor (NOT a simulator!) is also pretty neccesary to see what the ball is doing...

a complete iron fitting at my PCS certified "A-Grade" clubfitter takes 3 hours

cheers!

IMO, there are two largely universal truths:

Your benefit to being fit is inversely proportional to your golfing skill.

Off the rack clubs don't fit anybody.

That said, Tom Wishon has some books - The search for the perfect golf club and The search for the perfect driver, both of which should be read by every golfer (and if they know what's good for them, every golf club salesman).

More or less, all clubs can be bent.

Those that think that fitting is a waste of time either haven't been fitted, or were fitted poorly. JMO.

I will say that the mental side of being fitted has some merit. If in your mind you know the clubs are custom(so to speak) you will have a greater confidence in your shot making ability. Since the game of golf is a mental game as much as it is a physical game getting fitted makes sense.

I bought off the shelf clubs, and had them checked. I guess I am the only one that didn't need any adjustments except for grip size. So don't believe the statements that off the shelf clubs won't fit anyone...they will.

Make sure if you do get fitted that you can make consistent swings. Don't believe that clubs can be fitted to you w/ minimal swings. You don't won't to get fitted with the assumption that your swing will change to fit what has been changed...hope that makes sense.

Just my.02

go to www.pinggolf.com and use their iron web fit. Wear street shoes when you do the height and wrist to floor meaasurement.

This is called a static fitting and it is all you want to get clubs which promote a naturally efficient, effective golf swing.

Do not go to a club fitter for a "dynamic fitting". This method is counterproductive because introduces the personal bias of the fitter. You could go to three different "professional fitters" and you would get three different spec recommendations.

Us www.pinggolf.com, iron web fit. That's all you need. And use their putter fit if you're looking for putter specs, length, lie angle etc...

I am a fairly new, fairly high handicap golfer. This will be my third year of playing. I play Callaway X-14 irons with a steel shaft, and shoot around 95 on average. I have been thinking about getting my irons fit, and getting the loft and lie checked, however I am hitting them very well right now and am a little hesitant to do that. My Dad got his irons adjusted for the first time last year, and he doesn't feel like it made a huge difference for him. With my handicap being so high, would I really benefit from getting my irons adjusted?? Also, what are the chances that, over the years, the loft angles have become messed up? I'm not sure if that really happens to cast clubs, or if it is mainly forged clubs that this is an issue with? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

go to www.pinggolf.com and use their iron web fit. Wear street shoes when you do the height and wrist to floor meaasurement.

This is called a static fitting and it is all you want to get clubs which promote a naturally efficient, effective golf swing.

Do not go to a club fitter for a "dynamic fitting". This method is counterproductive because introduces the personal bias of the fitter. You could go to three different "professional fitters" and you would get three different spec recommendations.

Us www.pinggolf.com, iron web fit. That's all you need. And use their putter fit if you're looking for putter specs, length, lie angle etc...

That is complete garbage...

King Bogey, as a TLT fitter, I believe that off the shelf clubs have long irons that are too long and short irons that are too short. Unless you're taller, then you probably like your long irons and hate your short irons. Of course, if you're shorter, you probably like your short irons, and hate your long ones. But I digress - this is my reason for not believing that OTR fit anyone. AFAIK, TLT has a 100% satisfaction rate.

frozen _rope, I'll agree that you could very well get 3 different opinions from 3 different clubfitters. It's still better to be fit by someone who sees your swing and takes some hard data, versus giving static data and having a computer spit out your results. Craig Stadler is 5'10". Fulton Allem is 5'11". Joey Sindelar is 5'10". Ping would fit each of these guys into darn near the same clubs. Yet Stadler has a very flat swing, as there's a lot of Craig Stadler to swing around. Allem and Sindelar are more upright. They don't all hit the same spec clubs.

Great post! I have to interject an important point. The higher the handicap the more benefit from being custom fit for clubs. Tiger Woods could probably take a set of clubs "off the rack" and be able to shoot around par or better. A higher handicap golfer that is playing clubs that are not suitable for him (or her) does not have the ability to make the proper adjustments to the equipment. In fact they will likely groove a swing around the equipment that will make things even worse.

A dynamic fitting is much more effective than a static fitting. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either uninformed or has had a bad experience. I agree that not every club-fitter will come up with the same recommendation. You do need to understand however that "custom clubfitting" has become a very loose term. The general public would be lead to believe that going to a big box golf store and having someone spend 15 minutes with you would constitute a "custom club fitting". A true professional club fitter will spend up to 3 hours with you to fit your full bag. You will leave understanding your swing and club needs more than 98% of your friends, because they have never gone through this process.

Professional clubfitters know that 1/4" in length, a change in swingweight, shaft type, grip size, etc. can have an enormous effect on the golfer's ability to make better contact. A professional clubfitter will be well versed on helping with set make up, head styles, shafts and much more that is all part of the process.

There is no golfer out there who would not benefit from a true professional clubfitting. There are many out there who are "club junkies", buying clubs off the internet and finding great deals. In my opinion until you know exactly what works best for you this can be a total waste of money. Fun? Maybe. Sensible? Probably not, if you consider what the small cost of a clubfitting would be compared to the expense of buying multiple sets or drivers trying to find the "holy grail".

I think there is alot of self preservation by some on this site that want to justify their need to try clubs out, look for deals and think that the next iron set, driver or putter they read about will be the answer to their game. I can see getting caught up in this. I've been there myself with audio gear and golf equipment to some extent. I believe that 95% of golfers who have had a true professional clubfitting would never consider buying off the rack again. The small extra cost involved is well worth it.

Does every professional fitting come out perfect? The answer is no. There are clubfitters that do a better job than others. True clubfitting is still part science and part art and the "art" part comes with experience, listening skills and being open minded to learning as much as possible. Most Professional Clubfitters will work with you if you believe the fit is not correct after playing the clubs for a "trial period" (there is sometimes an adjustment period needed depending on how big of a change was needed to the equipment). Custom clubfitting shops survive only if they get referrals from satisfied customers. There is no way they can compete with the marketing of a "big box store". If you here alot of good things about a fitter in your area, that is a pretty clear sign that you have someone you can trust.

Just my 2 cents!

Impact position for a solidly struck shot is a commonality among different swing types.

If one understands and appreciates that fact then the benefit of static fitting is clear.

King Bogey, as a TLT fitter, I believe that off the shelf clubs have long irons that are too long and short irons that are too short. Unless you're taller, then you probably like your long irons and hate your short irons. Of course, if you're shorter, you probably like your short irons, and hate your long ones. But I digress - this is my reason for not believing that OTR fit anyone. AFAIK, TLT has a 100% satisfaction rate.

frozen _rope, I'll agree that you could very well get 3 different opinions from 3 different clubfitters. It's still better to be fit by someone who sees your swing and takes some hard data, versus giving static data and having a computer spit out your results. Craig Stadler is 5'10". Fulton Allem is 5'11". Joey Sindelar is 5'10". Ping would fit each of these guys into darn near the same clubs. Yet Stadler has a very flat swing, as there's a lot of Craig Stadler to swing around. Allem and Sindelar are more upright. They don't all hit the same spec clubs.

Frozen Rope, you are making a huge leap of faith. That leap is that any golfer can get to this same impact positon from the "static" measurement. It is absolutely not going to happen. Even professional golfers with the same "static measurements" will not play the same length, lie angle, shaft type or shaft flex. How could you possibly think that any of the rest of us could?

There are multitudes of different postures (much less golfers coming out of their posture during the golf swing) and swing styles, that anyone who really believes this is very uninformed. I'm not trying to belittle you at all. You believe what you believe, and you may have reasons behind this. You may have had a bad experience or else you have never been properly fitted. You shouldn't let that get in the way of clouding your thinking.