2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Overlapping Grip vs Interlocking Grip

SurfnWolf

Think about switching back
Wanted to ask a question about the difference and if any of you have tried hitting balls both ways and the kind of feelings you all had, when hitting with an overlapping grip or an interlocking grip. When I first started out, I hit only with an overlapping grip and played ok but wanted to get better, I joined a driving range/practice facility and during this time the pro suggested the interlocking grip. So I switched and hit the ball pretty well. It seems you have the club more in your fingers, especially your right hand with this grip, giving you more of a feeling of controlling the club with your hands. Well over the past year and a hurt back, and the range closing down my swing is a complete mess that I have been trying to fix myself. I know it seems my right side is doing to much in the swing so yesterday I tried experimenting with the overlapping grip, and it seemed to help take my right hand more out of the swing. Does this sound right? or is it all in my head? Thoughts?

I am torn between the two. I started with the interlocking grip, because I have short fingers. I tried the overlapping grip lately, because of the Hogan book and because of Slicefixer's suggestion that it is more stable. I feel, that I can hold the lag little better with the overlapping grip, because the pressure points of the 3rd and 4th finger of the right hand are more where they should be. But it still feels a little uncomfortable for me. I also feel that it is easier for me to square the clubface with the driver and create a little bit more speed with it when using the interlocking grip. But the overlapping grip is definitely more stable for me at the top of the backswing with irons.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

When I was young I used the interlocking grip mostly because it helped me control the club a little better, but over the years I have switched to the overlapping. I tried a few months ago to switch back to the interlocking but it felt so foreign I was not able to switch.

I am not too sure that one is better than another, but it really comes down to what feels good for you.

I started with an interlock grip when I was a kid and played through my early 20's with it. Then I tried playing with an overlap grip. Spent several years struggling to find consistency. I so wanted the overlap to work that I ignored the fact it felt unnatural. Switched back to the interlock a few years ago and will NEVER switch again. Out of nowhere, I found my swing again. Interlock just feels right for me. My usual Saturday foursome has all 3 basic grips represented - interlock, overlap and ten finger. Different grips for different folks. Go with what feels right.

The overlapping grip is superior to the interlocking for most people due to the pressure points being in the right place and not too much tension in the lock which can cause a problem with the interlock grip......I think the interlock works great for people with smaller hands and ladies.

I would not change you staright into an overlap from an interlock just for the sake of it but if you had a really poor grip to start off with I would or if you were new to the game.......I feel that the change is good for those that have the dedication but for those that don't get the perfect grip but keep the interlock (especially if you have small hands)

BTW as Mr Penick said "for those who do not want to take the time to learn the correct grip do not want to take the time to learn how to play golf properly"

My hands aren't that small but i use interlock just because no matter how i put the overlapping finger, it doesnt sit right and just slides around, snap hook after snap hook.

Plus if Tiger and Nicklaus use it, i dont think overlap is that superior

I would suggest that you learnt the interlock as a junior and have kept it ever since......this is no bad thing at all I interlock but am only 5' 7" it is fine as long as the dgrip is techically correct and from the footage I have seen of you I would say it is.

Cheers Dan

My hands aren't that small but I use interlock just because no matter how I put the overlapping finger, it doesnt sit right and just slides around, snap hook after snap hook.

Plus if Tiger and Nicklaus use it, i dont think overlap is that superior

I couldn't have put it better myself. :clapping:

I started out with an interlocking grip since I always had small hands (or technically, short fingers) and I could never get my little finger to feel secure in the overlap position. I also had a tendency to hook the ball when I first started (I played right-handed junior tennis prior to golf) and I really struggled at first with hitting the ball straight, albeit I had no problems hitting it reasonably solid and getting it airborne.

Admittedly, my hands are bigger now but I've got so used to interlocking that I can't get comfortable with anything else. Unfortunately, I've no idea how the two compare since I've never used anything else than interlocking.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I overlap, always have. No particular reason, it just felt natural when I started to pick up the game. I've tried interlock but I don't feel a real strong connection to the club when I do it and my shot-making becomes eratic and inconsistent. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think you can go wrong either way, provided your hands are set on the club properly and you apply the right amount of grip pressure.

Titleist TS3 10.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 70
Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80
Titleist TS2 21* w/ Diamana Litd. D+ White 80
Titleist U500 4i w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist T100-S 5-PW (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 50.12F Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Vokey SM8 60.12D Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 34.5” (Heavy)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

I started off with the overlapping grip, as that one was the norm and was the one my older brother taught me when I started off playing (in my mid 20's). Was using this grip FOREVER, never really improving my golf at all. I finally started to get serious about wanting to improve my golf game last year and started tweaking EVERYTHING, from swing, set up, stance and grip. After much reading, decided to try out the interlocking grip. It felt uncomfortable for a few days, but kept working on it at the driving range and noticed that it was a better grip for me, as it felt like I was more in control, no more slipping nor sliding around of my right hand. I also should have figured that being only 5' 6" w/a slight body frame, I would have small hands/fingers, thus the interlocking grip should have been the one I should have tried a long time ago. Now it's my grip and I usually recommend it for beginners or people w/small hands.

• 1 year later...

I think something like 95% of pros use the overlap, which is what first got me to convert from the interlock that I started with as a teenager. I have long fingers, and I really use my left index finger and thumb to feel like I'm gripping it correctly with the left hand, and the interlock does not allow me to do this.

But the fact remains that the two greatest players in history used the interlock.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dfw1500' post='1038974' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:07 PM']The overlapping grip is superior to the interlocking for most people due to the pressure points being in the right place and not too much tension in the lock which can cause a problem with the interlock grip......I think the interlock works great for people with smaller hands and ladies.

I would not change you staright into an overlap from an interlock just for the sake of it but if you had a really poor grip to start off with I would or if you were new to the game.......I feel that the change is good for those that have the dedication but for those that don't get the perfect grip but keep the interlock (especially if you have small hands)

BTW as Mr Penick said "for those who do not want to take the time to learn the correct grip do not want to take the time to learn how to play golf properly"[/quote]

As a person who quotes Penick and obviously admires Hogan, you should know better than to say the overlap is superior. One highly overlooked problem is grip size in relation to the type of grip and your hands. I have XL hands and for that reason, switched to the overlap as I grew. As the last few years have passed I have felt more and more uncomfortable with my grip. The overlapped finger doesn't fit quite right and my hands seemed squished as I grip the club softly but have a high swing speed. Recently I put mid-size (1/16 inch oversize) grips on my clubs. Immediately my hand felt better but there was something still missing. As much as I try, it's been hard for me to get my swing more upright. The last couple years it seems to flatten out more and more. After installing my midsize grips (solving the "large hand" problem) I have switched back to the interlock and find it much easier to swing on a more upright plane. I believe the reason is my right hand is more supported with the interlock and therefore, keeping the club upright. I think for most people either grip should be experimented with. As with my case, I have gone back and forth a couple times to counter swing changes. Mr. Penick was right, it is amazing the changes a grip can make... I'm just not sure with all of the size and shaped hands (not to mention physical ability) that there is one correct grip. There are quite a few ways to get the club into a slot and square up the club face, GOOD LUCK IN FINDING YOURS!

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

When I started I interlocked, most likely due to my first golf book being "Golf My Way" by Nicklaus. Changed to the overlap as I got older and have never looked back. I've re-tried the interlock a few times over the years and just don't seem to be able to release the club properly with it....I can only concur with those in this thread that say go with what works for you....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I use to use interlocking because i found it easier to grip the club. But as i have got older my fingers have got a lot longer and i just found it real hard to control the club with the interlocking so i decided to change to overlaping took a few rounds to get use to it but i probably won't go back. I read so where that overlaping is good for people with big hands. I also read in a mag that Casey switched from overlaping to interlocking Peter Kostis said that big hitters are crating so much speed that they need to us the interlocking grip in order to keep their right hand on the golf club, without gripping to tightly.

[quote name='360_huy' post='1983436' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:54 AM']I use to use interlocking because i found it easier to grip the club. But as i have got older my fingers have got a lot longer and i just found it real hard to control the club with the interlocking so i decided to change to overlaping took a few rounds to get use to it but i probably won't go back. I read so where that overlaping is good for people with big hands. I also read in a mag that Casey switched from overlaping to interlocking Peter Kostis said that big hitters are crating so much speed that they need to us the interlocking grip in order to keep their right hand on the golf club, without gripping to tightly.[/quote]

That Kostis analysis is exactly what I'm experiencing... thanks for that insight. I noticed a couple more commented about using overlap because of long fingers. Instead of thinking the overlap is your only option, try midsize grips and whatever grip you want. Doesn't it make more since to have grips that are proportionate to your hand size? Ping has been fitting people for hand size for years... smart. I feel SO MUCH more comfortable now that I use a Midsize (1/16 in' oversize) and back to the interlock. I had trouble keeping my hands on the club with my swing speed, using overlap. If you're just totally uncomfortable with your grip, try proper grip size. GOOD LUCK!

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='texan_golf' post='1985182' date='Oct 2 2009, 11:06 PM'][quote name='DFinch' post='1985176' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:59 AM']10-finger all the way. (cool)[/quote]

LoL.. You, Bob Estes, Tommy Gainey and this old man I use to play with as a kid... They all hit it good that way, I tied it once with out any luck..
[/quote]

Don't forget Moe Norman (sorta)! :)

I played interlocking for awhile but I just didn't see an advantage. I have small pinkies. My right pinky is crammed so tight to my left index finger that it disappears in my grip. Trying to overlap or interlock it just causes me pain when I'm playing heavily.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

see i do sumthin that will probably throw you all for a loop. i interlock my index of my left with the pinkie finger of my right hand as usual for an interlocking grip, but i also overlap the ring finger of my right hand over my left index. i do this because about a year ago i was in a serious motorcycle accident and broke that ring finger among many other things...... haha. but for the first few months of getting back to the game that was the only way i could hit balls without that finger hurting and i have stuck with it, it really forms a solid grip. whatever works is what i say haha

[b][u]WITB:[/u][/b]

[b]Taylormade M3[/b] 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver[/b] 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade P790[/b] 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Taylormade P730[/b] 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Vokey SM8[/b] 54M & 60M

[b]Giannini G-1[/b]

[b]Vice Pro+[/b] [color=#ff0000]Neon Red [/color]

• 4 months later...

[size="3"]Overlapping grip was invented for one and the one reason only: to prevent a vicious hook. This particularly applies to Harry Vardon and Ben Hogan. [/size]

[size="3"]The Master Ben Hogan was hooking so ferociously that he even invented and played onset golf clubs![/size]

[size="3"]The best golfers in the profession are natural hookers of the golf ball and this is the only reason this grip is so popular on the tour.[/size]

[size="3"]The interlocking or the ten finger baseball grip are initially the best cure for slice, however due to a severely restricted wrist action it may cause loss of some distance.[/size]

[size="3"]I would advise all aspiring amateurs to experiment with the grip before settling into the overlapping grip because this grip does not suit majority of weekend golfers.[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[quote name='SurfnWolf' date='25 April 2008 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1209142600' post='1038867']
Wanted to ask a question about the difference and if any of you have tried hitting balls both ways and the kind of feelings you all had, when hitting with an overlapping grip or an interlocking grip. When I first started out, I hit only with an overlapping grip and played ok but wanted to get better, I joined a driving range/practice facility and during this time the pro suggested the interlocking grip. So I switched and hit the ball pretty well. It seems you have the club more in your fingers, especially your right hand with this grip, giving you more of a feeling of controlling the club with your hands. Well over the past year and a hurt back, and the range closing down my swing is a complete mess that I have been trying to fix myself. I know it seems my right side is doing to much in the swing so yesterday I tried experimenting with the overlapping grip, and it seemed to help take my right hand more out of the swing. Does this sound right? or is it all in my head? Thoughts?
[/quote]

IMO, interlocking grips are the hardest to master. Most Ams think the finger interlock right to the bottom of the fingers and that messes up their grip altogether. When an interlock grip is done correctly, only the tips of the index and pinkie interlock.

The interlock has one huge benefit. It helps remove tension from the left wrist. When the left index finger is forced to relax (somewhat) due to the fact the pinkie is in the way, the wrist has more cocking/uncocking freedom and thusly more potential power.

[quote name='dfw1500' date='25 April 2008 - 01:07 PM' timestamp='1209146854' post='1038974']
The overlapping grip is superior to the interlocking for most people due to the pressure points being in the right place and not too much tension in the lock which can cause a problem with the interlock grip......I think the interlock works great for people with smaller hands and ladies.

BTW as Mr Penick said "for those who do not want to take the time to learn the correct grip do not want to take the time to learn how to play golf properly"
[/quote]

The only thing superior about the overlapping grip is that it's harder to do incorrectly.

[quote name='jaham' date='08 September 2009 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1252469092' post='1940537']
Which grip do most of the tour pros use?
[/quote]

The higher percentage overlap. Then again, they don't have distance problems and recognize when their hands aren't relaxed.

[quote name='faith+1' date='08 September 2009 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1252469546' post='1940552']
I think something like 95% of pros use the overlap, which is what first got me to convert from the interlock that I started with as a teenager. I have long fingers, and I really use my left index finger and thumb to feel like I'm gripping it correctly with the left hand, and the interlock does not allow me to do this.

But the fact remains that the two greatest players in history used the interlock.
[/quote]

Hmmm....

Went from interlock to vardon, increased stability and consistency but lost distance and touch.

switched back after becoming comfortable with the vardon, gained distance but lost control and stability because I was too handsy

Stuck with Vardon and things have been great.

interlock was just not stable enough for me and the wrists broke down to easily

Started ten finger grip as a beginner.... then interlock and after that played with overlap, and have stayed with the Overlapping grip. I don't overlap with the finger resting between the first & index finger of the left hand, but overlap it resting on the first finger only.

And if you're concerned you may be over-using the right hand, it's well worth practicing with a 'split' grip - kind of exaggerated ten finger, where you put the bottom hand further down and leave a gap between the two hands - you'll really feel it if you try and force things with your hands this way....

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134