Scary day at the golf course...

So my friend and I were playing at a local 9-hole par 3 course that is always pretty beaten up. There are divots galore in all the greens, and makes them pretty much impossible to putt on. When we were on the 5th hole, these two drunk guys come up behind us and start swearing at us, saying they saw us making all the divots in the greens...

They said they were going to "make our lives horrible" and "kill us if we ever came back to their course"

To make a long story short, we left, only getting 5 holes in, mainly because these guys almost started swinging at us on the course with their clubs, and they even followed us to my car, where we drove away. Pretty scary day, anyone else had experiences like this?

By the way, the sayings were not completely accurate, I took the f words out.

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoulda called the cops. Where I live, making terroristic threats (were you scared? Then it's a terroristic threat) is a misdemeanor and they'd be arrested. Add that to being drunk in public and they'll be spending some time behind bars and then get to do some community service. Toss on a restraining order and probably get them banned from the course.

That's what I woulda done.

-mini

should have popped them in the face

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

Geez,

I've had an experiance like this too. Last summer, I was playing at a course I had played a few times before. I was playing by myself (walking). There wasn't a ton of action on the course, but there was a twosome in front of me playing a little bit slow. Also, there was a guy in a cart behind me (looked like he was about 20). So here I am on the 3rd hole waiting for the twosome. I hit my drive, right side of the fairway. As I'm walking to my ball, another ball flies just over my head, missing me by only a few feet. I look back and the single in the cart behind me had hit it. I figured that maybe he just wasn't expecting to hit it that far or something. So I hit my ball, and it ends up just short of the green. But then again, another ball rolls right up next to me. So I ask the guy if he wants to play up with me. He just shakes his head. I finished the hole and went to the next. I had to wait for the twosome yet again. Then I hit an ok drive in the fairway. As I walk to my ball I'm looking back at the single in the cart. It looked like he was aiming at me! He not only hit one ball at me, but two! Now I was getting very scared. I decided to just pick up my ball and run up to join the twosome in front of me. I told them what was going on. We decided that now that there were three of us, he wouldn't dare hit balls at us. However, he did. We offered to let him play through but he did not. On number seven, when we were putting, his ball flew right over the green. He drives up swearing at us and making threats. By this time we had had enough. Our threesome piled on the cart and drove to the clubhouse. We told the guy in the clubhouse what had happened. We all had paid for 18 holes and only got to play 7. None of us wanted to go back out there after what had just happened. The guy in the clubhouse was very rude and would no refund our money. I will NEVER play there again.

Most golfers are very nice, honest people. It's rare that you find one like this. Thankgoodness that I havn't had anything like this happen since.

Thats horrible, I can't believe that happened to you. I would have called the cops as well. I play at a local cheap course and run into problems all the time with golf etiquette. Sometimes its worth it to pay the extra at a nice course to filter out the ones that don't know how to act on a golf course.

People need to just chill out on the golf course. We all are out there to have fun and get away. Its just a game.

I in no way am a fan of violence but both cases represented in this thread would be grounds for a serious attitude adjustment to the guilty parties someone would have definitely had their balls hit back to them and if that did not cure it a nice driver to the head would definitely cure the problem.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

Because the driver is a little more forgiving just wanna cripple them not kill them lol. If I was on the green and someone hit balls on at the same time those balls would go in my pocket.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I in no way am a fan of violence but both cases represented in this thread would be grounds for a serious attitude adjustment to the guilty parties someone would have definitely had their balls hit back to them and if that did not cure it a nice driver to the head would definitely cure the problem.

Wow - boy are you tough. So a year later when you're in jail for Assault and Battery (cause some drunk idiot hits a golf ball towards you) and that dumb a** is out golfing again, it wouldn't be quite so cool, would it?

I think you guys did the right thing in leaving. I would have.

Jails are full of Tough Guys who's wives/girlfriends/kids are without them cause they decided to cure a problem by hitting someone on the head.

And what happens if you really do hit him in the head and he dies? Then what? I know it's easy to sound tough on a message board but let's let reality enter the picture here, shall we?

A similar event happened at a course in Eastern Ohio a couple years back. (Not involving me). A local Police Officer was playing behind a Drunk twosome and had a confrontation with them and one of the Drunks ended up breaking one of his steel shafts in two and stabbed the Officer, Killing him. I don't know all the details but that's what the newspaper reported.

Maybe you should have at least reported them to the Course staff. Who knows what they were capable of.

Yeah, too many psychos now days. It's not like when we were kids (hah! I'm old), now days people get shot over stupid crap.

Let's just say that it does escalate and you end up TOTALLY within your right for stabbing the guy, and end up winning the court case and walking away free.

To me, you're better off just leaving before any of that takes place. It aint worth all the headache.

I have a very volatile temper that I have been able to keep at bay most of my life. However, one time I lost it and hospitalized someone for a week. Fortunately there were people there to stop me from doing more to the provoker.

Now when I feel that demon getting ready to burst forth I just leave b/c I'm afraid of what I'd do. In golf I just let the person play through.

why would you drive to the clubhouse? i would hit the balls back at him. or wait for him to get close then hit him with one of my sticks.

guys you need to stand up for yourselves. dont go out to cause trouble, but handle it when trouble comes looking for you.

Ha, that's easy for you to type, but would you actually do it. I mean, what would you do with the dead body? Put it in a bunker?

why would you drive to the clubhouse? i would hit the balls back at him. or wait for him to get close then hit him with one of my sticks.

guys you need to stand up for yourselves. dont go out to cause trouble, but handle it when trouble comes looking for you.

Ha, that's easy for you to type, but would you actually do it. I mean, what would you do with the dead body? Put it in a bunker?

Wouldn't that be a two stroke penalty?

It sucks that people have to be rude, stupid and plain old psychotic. Diehardgolfer32 did the right thing w/his party in going back to the clubhouse, to then have the idiot at the desk be of no help whatsoever (gaver him no refund and I'm certain he didn't drive his cart or have the park's security remove the psycho from the golf course).

Wouldn't that be a two stroke penalty?

Would that fall under the guidelines of "testing a hazard"?

I had a similar experiance, except it was on the driving range at my home course. I was hitting balls on the range no one else there, & 3 high school kids came by & started mouthing off, I proceded to tell them to grow up & have some respect. They stopped turned around & started walking towards me mouthing non stop, I stopped hitting balls & approached them. One of the guy's say's you boy's up for a little 3 on 1? We were about 10 feet apart in a stand off, I told them they needed to have some respect for other people, still mouthing off. Then the guy on the left pulls a knife out, the hair on my neck stood straight up, I said wtf, 3 on one isn't good enough? The kid say's I don't F around. I told them they had a choice to make, 1) turn around & walk away. or 2) I'm gonna take your lower jaw off (had a 5iron in hand) & your first pointing to the kid with the knife. They walked away, man that freaked me out!

Funny thing is I live in a small country town that is really safe no violence hardly at all.

And why would you not immediately call the cops?

I had a similar experiance, except it was on the driving range at my home course. I was hitting balls on the range no one else there, & 3 high school kids came by & started mouthing off, I proceded to tell them to grow up & have some respect. They stopped turned around & started walking towards me mouthing non stop, I stopped hitting balls & approached them. One of the guy's say's you boy's up for a little 3 on 1? We were about 10 feet apart in a stand off, I told them they needed to have some respect for other people, still mouthing off. Then the guy on the left pulls a knife out, the hair on my neck stood straight up, I said wtf, 3 on one isn't good enough? The kid say's I don't F around. I told them they had a choice to make, 1) turn around & walk away. or 2) I'm gonna take your lower jaw off (had a 5iron in hand) & your first pointing to the kid with the knife. They walked away, man that freaked me out!

Funny thing is I live in a small country town that is really safe no violence hardly at all.

this was at a golf course???