2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylor Made TP Red w/ LDP

Seim1978

OK, so since the ProV1 went up 6 bucks this year, I've been searching for a replacement, and I just wanted to let everyone know I found it. After 2 months of trial and error, the Taylor Made TP Red came out on top, and I'm serious when I say it's better than the ProV1. It has a perfect feel around the green, and is much much much more durable than the Titleist. EVERYONE that plays the ProV1 should give this ball a try.

I also went through a few dozen Srixon Z-URS, Nike One Platinum, and Bridgestone B330S. All are really solid balls and durability, distance, and trajectory were pretty good on them all. But, none are even close to the Taylor Made ball. I can't say enough good things about this ball, try it you'll like it!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the tp red ldp was/is a good ball, but the durability of it didn't compare to that of the NOP (2008 and 2006) for me, however still more durable than the pro-v1 (haven't hit the 2008 pro-v's). after 2 holes the ball was in rough shape, and i only hit 1 wedge shot, with a 2-1/2 year old vokey 52*.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

i thought the tp red ldp was/is a good ball, but the durability of it didn't compare to that of the NOP (2008 and 2006) for me, however still more durable than the pro-v1 (haven't hit the 2008 pro-v's). after 2 holes the ball was in rough shape, and i only hit 1 wedge shot, with a 2-1/2 year old vokey 52*.

Interesting.....I didn't have that problem at all. In fact, that was the most impressive feature of the ball IMO. I was hitting cart paths, trees, etc. and the ball didn't have a scrape on it. The group I was playing in was impressed as well, and all have now starting using the Taylor Made. I agree, the NOP was very durable, but it was a rock compared to the TP Red. Obviously, feel is a personal opinion so the Nike didn't fit for me.

All right, I'm going to do it again. I tried the E5+ based on reviews on the list here and just hated them. Spun way to much and was losing 1 to 1.5 clubs in the 5 - PW range. I went to an impromptu Bridgestone ball fitting and got a free two pack of E6+. They were better. Now with all of the TP Red love I'm going to give them a try.

I've discovered that I'm generally a highball and high spin hitter with my irons. 5-PW drop out of the sky onto the green with full shots, when I hit the green that is. 20-40 yard chip shots run a good deal. It sounds like the TP Red is the version for this type of hitter. I should get similar iron distance but be able to check the ball for the shorter 20-40 yard shots that I struggle with. Also the 5 yard/60* flop shots from the rough right off of the green.

Here's wishing me luck.

All right, I'm going to do it again. I tried the E5+ based on reviews on the list here and just hated them. Spun way to much and was losing 1 to 1.5 clubs in the 5 - PW range. I went to an impromptu Bridgestone ball fitting and got a free two pack of E6+. They were better. Now with all of the TP Red love I'm going to give them a try.

I've discovered that I'm generally a highball and high spin hitter with my irons. 5-PW drop out of the sky onto the green with full shots, when I hit the green that is. 20-40 yard chip shots run a good deal. It sounds like the TP Red is the version for this type of hitter. I should get similar iron distance but be able to check the ball for the shorter 20-40 yard shots that I struggle with. Also the 5 yard/60* flop shots from the rough right off of the green.

Here's wishing me luck.

Good Luck I don't think you will be disappointed with the new Reds. Let us know how it went for you.

I also found these balls to be durable. I used one for two round before having to replace it.

Interesting.....I didn't have that problem at all. In fact, that was the most impressive feature of the ball IMO. I was hitting cart paths, trees, etc. and the ball didn't have a scrape on it. The group I was playing in was impressed as well, and all have now starting using the Taylor Made. I agree, the NOP was very durable, but it was a rock compared to the TP Red. Obviously, feel is a personal opinion so the Nike didn't fit for me.

yeah, the guy i was playing with noticed how scuffed the ball was when i cleaned it on the 3 tee. i still had the 2008 NOP from the weekend that i played 18 with and showed him that and he couldn't believe how much better the NOP looked compared to the tp red ldp - and the NOP had hit at least two trees and 2 cart paths, and was hit by a lot of wedges. they both are solid balls though and you really can't go wrong with either.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Help me out here, guys, you have me confused.

I've played the Pro V1 for the last few years and thought it was very durable.

I switched to the Pro V1x this year, I like the lower ball flight and I don't spin it as much(which is good, unless I'm playing rock hard greens.) But it doesn't seem as durable as the Pro V1.

I'd like some of you to compare these other balls to the Pro V1x for:

1) spin

2) ball flight

3) durability

I've tried the E5+ and thought it was just OK.

I tried the Taylor Made TP Black last year and was not impressed.

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

I had a similar experience with the E5+. I love the E6+ for times when I don't need much spin around the green. I did my own testing and IMO, the TP Red LDP feels similar to the E6+ and is straighter off the tee like the E6+. The ball flight is a bit lower, however, but hasn't been a problem.

yeah, the guy i was playing with noticed how scuffed the ball was when i cleaned it on the 3 tee. i still had the 2008 NOP from the weekend that i played 18 with and showed him that and he couldn't believe how much better the NOP looked compared to the tp red ldp - and the NOP had hit at least two trees and 2 cart paths, and was hit by a lot of wedges. they both are solid balls though and you really can't go wrong with either.

I find the TM Red LDP to be more durable than V1x... One thing I have noticed is that the white paint, logo and number do come off much easier than the V1x, however unlike the Titleist the TM doesn't shred or cut.

I switched to the Pro V1x this year, I like the lower ball flight and I don't spin it as much(which is good, unless I'm playing rock hard greens.) But it doesn't seem as durable as the Pro V1.

1) spin

2) ball flight

3) durability

1. spin - the Red has less spin on short irons and about the same off the driver than the V1x

2. flight - the Red is about the same to me vs. V1x, however with one BIG exception, the Red doesn't balloon at all, not even on hard shots dead into the wind!

3. durability - The Red is a more durable than the V1x, but I do find the logo and number rub off the TM after taking direct hits from my irons.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Seim, I couldn't agree with you more. I played the TP Red today for the first time, and I can't begin to say enough good things about it. For me it may be the pefect ball. I hit so many good and different type shot with it today...long straight drives that went forever, 30 yard pitch shots that hit and stopped, full 9 iron that landed and spun back about 15 feet, irons into the wind that didnt' baloon, knock down wedge that bore through the wind, and most importantly it felt fantastic off the putter face and wedge. I just hope the price doesn't go up on them, at $39 they are a bargain.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I find the TM Red LDP to be more durable than V1x... One thing I have noticed is that the white paint, logo and number do come off much easier than the V1x, however unlike the Titleist the TM doesn't shred or cut.

1) spin

2) ball flight

3) durability

1. spin - the Red has less spin on short irons and about the same off the driver than the V1x

2. flight - the Red is about the same to me vs. V1x, however with one BIG exception, the Red doesn't balloon at all, not even on hard shots dead into the wind!

3. durability - The Red is a more durable than the V1x, but I do find the logo and number rub off the TM after taking direct hits from my irons.

The problem with all the new golf balls for me is around the greens. I will admit I have not hit the red yet but I have tried the black (hated the feel) and the Tour IX. The tour IX is a BEAST off the tee but I hate the way it feels around the greens it doesnt spin. Durability doesnt mean much to me if I cant get a ball to skip and check. I am still a prov1x fan it is the softest most responsive ball I have ever played. I can get that ball to do things I could never do with a srixon or callaway.

I will try the TP Red, but there's really no excuse for their logo and number ink coming off like that.

That happens on some cheap balls, but should never happen on a $40/dozen ball under normal play.

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

I was a pro v1x only user and I had a rude awakening when I hit the tp red 08 25 yards longer than my pro v1x consistently. Its nice to move forward to look for my ball instead of going back. Im a really high ball hitter and this ball is the best ball I've ever played. The spin is good on chip shots and feels good off the putter. You gonna argue with 39.99 for a dozen ? Best ball in the wind period! I've tested it pretty well in 35 mph winds. :) cant say enough but buy buy buy buy!

I was given a sleeve of the TP Red some time ago and after reading this thread I got excited to try them out. Well, I wasn't blown away. Then I realized you guys are referring to the "LDP" version which my sample sleeve is not.

I surmise what I have is last year's ball and not as preferred.

What are the differences?

Shucks.

I surmise what I have is last year's ball and not as preferred.

What are the differences?

About 20 yards off the tee. "bada boom" Seriously it is definitely longer, on an uphill par 5 yesterday on my home course I hit a drive about as well as I can, and it was right about 280, I was right on the 225 yardarge marker. Previously on this hole I've always had to walk 10 to 15 yards up from my shot to see that, just to get a good layup distance. But more importantly to me was the way the ball acted into the wind, there was no ballooning into the wind, and the ball felt absolutely fantastic off the putter and wedge to me.

I don't think last years ball had the any of those characteristics.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I am going to pick up a few dozen of these this week. I've read most of the comments from you guys so thanks. I've been trying to find a ProV1x replacement and looks like we may have a contender.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

I've played a ProVx for the last few years and these types of threads convinced me to try some others. I've played rounds in the last few weeks with-

TP Red LDP

TP Black LDP

Nike Black

In my personal experience they are all fine balls. Some might have certain characteristics that are better than others but what I found is that it didn't matter what ball I played. In the end my score was the same. I didn't notice one being 20 yards longer. I didn't lose greenside control with any of them. None of them magically knocked 2 or 3 shots off my round. (My index is currently 5.9)

If I'm going to buy balls I'll probably just stick with the ProVx. If someone gives me a box of the others mentioned above I'll play those. For me they're all about the same.

Last year's Red spun much better for me around the greens. Tried the 08 LDP Red -- not for me.

Tough to beat the ProV1 around the greens for delicate shots. It may not be the longest or the best in the wind, but it's excellent around the greens.

The best overall ball for me has been the B330-S. But I'm waiting for the Callaway Tour i Ball. Hope that meets all my expectations. lol.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Last year's Red spun much better for me around the greens. Tried the 08 LDP Red -- not for me.

Tough to beat the ProV1 around the greens for delicate shots. It may not be the longest or the best in the wind, but it's excellent around the greens.

The best overall ball for me has been the B330-S. But I'm waiting for the Callaway Tour i Ball. Hope that meets all my expectations. lol.

Last years TP red is this years TP black. They switched this year

I've played the Pro-V1X since it came out and tried many other premium balls, or close to premium balls, only to come back to the Pro-V1X time after time. I tried a dozen of the TP Red LDP and have been very impressed by them. To me they seem aboout the same as the X with the exception of being able to handle the wind without it affecting them as much and seem to be a little more durable. I think that the LDP is as good as the X in most of the other ball characteristics and it may not be "better" than the X it certainly is as "good" as the X.

Last years TP red is this years TP black. They switched this year

You're right -- I played the 08 Black briefly when they first came out -- was impressed but was hoping for a little more spin on delicate shots -- will give it another shot -- maybe it was my game at the time.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I was a pro v1x only user and I had a rude awakening when I hit the tp red 08 25 yards longer than my pro v1x consistently. Its nice to move forward to look for my ball instead of going back. Im a really high ball hitter and this ball is the best ball I've ever played. The spin is good on chip shots and feels good off the putter. You gonna argue with 39.99 for a dozen ? Best ball in the wind period! I've tested it pretty well in 35 mph winds. :) cant say enough but buy buy buy buy!

It is impossible to gain 25 yards by switching golf balls give me a break.

I've played prov1-x for the last 2years. Have played with the tp-red and black. The taylormades handle the wind much better. Very difficult to compete with the greenside manner of a Titliest though! Great ball, Taylormade is on the right path! No doubt.

And that is just it. You can take the slightly better wind playability and maybe 5 yards off the tee (if you think your getting 20 plus by switiching balls you need to see a shrink) and I will trade that EVERY time for greenside playability. The predictability of the Titleist is second to none.

And that is just it. You can take the slightly better wind playability and maybe 5 yards off the tee (if you think your getting 20 plus by switiching balls you need to see a shrink) and I will trade that EVERY time for greenside playability. The predictability of the Titleist is second to none.

This is where for my game I have to disagree, and strongly at that! Sometimes the V1x would drop and stop, others it would hit and release, and finally many times it would hit and suck back anywhere from 2 feet to 8 to 10 yards. That is not predictable to me.

Again, speaking of my game only, the Red IS PREDICTABLE! It either hits and stops or releases 3 to 5 feet. This is a much smaller margin of error, therefore making it much easier for me to predict my balls reaction on the greens and play my shot accordingly.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

This is where for my game I have to disagree, and strongly at that! Sometimes the V1x would drop and stop, others it would hit and release, and finally many times it would hit and suck back anywhere from 2 feet to 8 to 10 yards. That is not predictable to me.

Again, speaking of my game only, the Red IS PREDICTABLE! It either hits and stops or releases 3 to 5 feet. This is a much smaller margin of error, therefore making it much easier for me to predict my balls reaction on the greens and play my shot accordingly.

Once again I am not talking about hitting iron shots into greens. I am talking about hitting pitches bunker shots chips etc. I love the way it feels off the putter as well. Just look on tour and at amateur tournaments I dont think I need to tell you what the percentages are. There are still many players on TM staff that play Titleist and I cannot think of any non staffer playing the TP red.

I tell you what. I will go buy a sleeve tommorow and post my results. I HATED the black feels like gum off the club.

For all those commenting about greenside playability of the TP Red, I personally think it's better than the Titleist. I'm VERY particular about playing a ball with a soft feel off the putter, but also something that spins when needed. I do like the ProV1 as well, but there's just too many positives with the TP Red to justify paying 6 more bucks a dozen for the Titleist. And now if I have to make the choice (even if both were the same price), I'd choose the TP Red.

I purchased 2 dozen of the Reds. I will put them to play this week. Hope they play like most of you say they do! lol

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black