2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I see a lot of WRXers playing x flex

SacTown24

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever the case may be i acknowledge that he plays project x now. but unless the article was completely false it did list him as a s300 player. golf digest.

Ya... because everything in print is completely accurate. :)

As it was mentioned above, I'm pretty sure it was a misprint. Whatever puts people to sleep at night though.

whatever the case may be i acknowledge that he plays project x now. but unless the article was completely false it did list him as a s300 player. golf digest.

As it was mentioned above, I'm pretty sure it was a misprint. Whatever puts people to sleep at night though.

well since you have to be condescending... golf digest just happens to have a section in the front of the magazine where they list all of the misprints and falsifications that have to do with players equipments tournaments won and so on and so forth and since the very next issue has no mention of said misprint perhaps its not a misprint at all seeing as how thats a pretty big misprint and sergios pr person would probably mention that to him and have something done about it. thanks.

well since you have to be condescending... golf digest just happens to have a section in the front of the magazine where they list all of the misprints and falsifications that have to do with players equipments tournaments won and so on and so forth and since the very next issue has no mention of said misprint perhaps its not a misprint at all seeing as how thats a pretty big misprint and sergios pr person would probably mention that to him and have something done about it. thanks.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to come off sounding harsh. It really wasn't my intent at all.

I'm aware that that many light up many of their omissions and misprints, it's absolutely inevitable that there are going to be many that slip through the cracks. Usually the only errors I see from their WITB section pertain to clubs, as in, "In the July issue, Player X is actually playing a Burner TP 3 wood, rather than an R7 TP."

While I'm not saying it's impossible that Sergio did in fact play DGS300s in his irons. I just have a hard time believing that the lagmeister could control the same shafts I play. Semantics really. I don't care.

Once again...

A big whoopsies if you felt like I was being harsh or patronizing you at all. No ill-intent there.

It is the INTERNET, there will always be liars and there will always be doubters, the hard part is finding those who are honest and genuine who can actually be held to their words. We know very little about one another on this board and it is not our place to pass judgment on that of which we do not know. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that I posses an ability that allows me to play above average flex when none of you have played with me or know anything about what I am capable of. Do I know you? Have we met? Do you have information about me or anyone for that fact that make makes any of you experts on Joe Public? What do you care what I play anyway? Is it really anyone's business but mine??

I have been fitted for every club in my bag and throughout these fittings, I have been told to play what has been and is still being recommended for me, that is X-Flex (Yes, I have had each shaft checked). I go through fittings each and every time I proceed to make changes to the equipment in my bag from the driver down to the putter to maintain a playable consistency.

Shaft Flex denominates nothing about a players skill, it only has to do with how well the gear will allow a person to play based on his/her attributes, if they are fit for X flex then so be it. There are plenty of golfers who can and need a stiffer than average flex and there are plenty who should be using Regular, or Stiff, but choose to use X. Simply put, if you can play good golf, then the flex matters little whether you are 9 or 90.

The game of Golf is very individualized and so is the equipment we choose to use. I have said this before, there are 6 billion people on this planet and EVERYONE requires something different whether it is personal preference or professional recommendation.

There are far too many serious topics in our world to concern ourselves with such meaningless & trivial issues. What is calling into question the legitimacy of why a golfer chooses to play x flex going to do for use as a whole anyway? This topic is further proof that GolfWRX and its members are becoming more and more negative.

Please stop the jealous bitching and unnecessary whining, it is disgusting!

Aaron Morris

The Boom Bapp

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

It is the INTERNET, there will always be liars and there will always be doubters, the hard part is finding those who are honest and genuine who can actually be held to their words. We know very little about one another on this board and it is not our place to pass judgment on that of which we do not know. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that I posses an ability that allows me to play above average flex when none of you have played with me or know anything about what I am capable of. Do I know you? Have we met? Do you have information about me or anyone for that fact that make makes any of you experts on Joe Public? What do you care what I play anyway? Is it really anyone's business but mine??

I have been fitted for every club in my bag and throughout these fittings, I have been told to play what has been and is still being recommended for me, that is X-Flex (Yes, I have had each shaft checked). I go through fittings each and every time I proceed to make changes to the equipment in my bag from the driver down to the putter to maintain a playable consistency.

Shaft Flex denominates nothing about a players skill, it only has to do with how well the gear will allow a person to play based on his/her attributes, if they are fit for X flex then so be it. There are plenty of golfers who can and need a stiffer than average flex and there are plenty who should be using Regular, or Stiff, but choose to use X. Simply put, if you can play good golf, then the flex matters little whether you are 9 or 90.

The game of Golf is very individualized and so is the equipment we choose to use. I have said this before, there are 6 billion people on this planet and EVERYONE requires something different whether it is personal preference or professional recommendation.

There are far too many serious topics in our world to concern ourselves with such meaningless & trivial issues. What is calling into question the legitimacy of why a golfer chooses to play x flex going to do for use as a whole anyway? This topic is further proof that GolfWRX and its members are becoming more and more negative.

Please stop the jealous bitching and unnecessary whining, it is disgusting!

Aaron Morris

The Boom Bapp

AMEN!!! Why does ANYONE care what flex I carry in my bag??? :)

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

i have always wondered if i should be using X-stiff shafts, i hit my PW about 150 ,5I about 225, Driver about 280-300. over the years i have progressed to X-Stiff, I currently use a Project-X 7.0 in my irons which i love the feel and feedback. I had the shafts just installed in the clubs without cutting them down any as i am 6'5". I thought this was a good first post thread ... i really dont care what other people have in the clubs. I dont see how saying i have X-stiff shafts would make people think you are a good golfer...

i have always wondered if i should be using X-stiff shafts, i hit my PW about 150 ,5I about 225, Driver about 280-300. over the years i have progressed to X-Stiff, I currently use a Project-X 7.0 in my irons which i love the feel and feedback. I had the shafts just installed in the clubs without cutting them down any as i am 6'5". I thought this was a good first post thread ... i really dont care what other people have in the clubs. I dont see how saying i have X-stiff shafts would make people think you are a good golfer...

Great first post, and WELCOME to WRX.

You are 100% correct, people who think swinging an X flex shaft says ANYTHING about your golf abilities, must also believe that if you use a Nike Platinum ball, you must putt just like Tiger. :) Play what works for YOU, and dont let others get into your head. :)

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

Great first post, and WELCOME to WRX.

You are 100% correct, people who think swinging an X flex shaft says ANYTHING about your golf abilities, must also believe that if you use a Nike Platinum ball, you must putt just like Tiger. :) Play what works for YOU, and dont let others get into your head. :)

x2, and :clapping:

My driver swingspeed is under 100 mph and I just switched to DGS X100 in my irons from Project X 5.5. I'm a scrawny 5'8 nearing 50 years old, play off a 4 & 8i 148 carry w/AP2s.

I guarantee if I were to go through a HotStix(or the like) fitting they would have me at 4.5/5.0, as they did for a friend of mine with similar speeds.

With the X100s, I've gained yardage in short irons & perhaps lost a couple in the longer --- irrelevant. What is important, is: 1) my distance control has tightened, 2) yards lost into the wind has diminished, and 3) performance (shaft stability) out of heavier rough has greatly improved.

Negatives: A bit more side-spin and sometimes extra-long flyers out of rough.

Personal opinions: I think the shaft weight has had the greatest impact, not flex. I don't think there's a big difference in flex between S300 & X100.

I'm using a stiff flex Matrix shaft in my driver. I may move up to SX in next head to see if I can reduce spin a bit more and hit more fairways.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

If i were to guess, most of the guys playing Xstiffs are the competitors on this site, and the young golf professionals, or just plain athletic guys. One poster mentioned as a fitter he saw almost nobody swing over 110. I fit on average 8-10 people per day, and I have probably 2 people a week who swing over 100, probably one a month who swing over 108-110, and the median age here in Palm Coast, FL is over 51. Five days a week I take over 50 swings on a FlightScope Kudu, as well as a Vector, and my average swing speed floats between 111-113mph, maxing out just over 120. Am I super strong? No. I'm 6'4" 178lbs, with a 79" armspan. You also have to take into affect the load put on a shaft, the transition in the swing. Its not uncommon for us to fit someone who swings 107-110 mph with a VS Proto 70-S if they have a very smooth swing.

Why pick on shaft flex? Why not say "I see a lot of WRX'ers have midsized grips. Are your hands really that big?", or "I see a lot of guys playing 7.5* drivers with an 83X Diamana, do you really hit it that high?" No, they enjoy hitting 185 yard worm burners that don't even reach the fairway. Clubs are personal, and everyone should go and get fit for not only shaft flex, but bag make up, grip size, as well as for loft/lie.

It's almost 5AM and i'm done talking

I don't think it is really about who plays what shaft, it's more about the perception in here about xstiff. It seems that all the driver and shaft reviews contain half of "great club but OEM stiff is too loose needs Xstiff" or "great shaft for those who swing easy but hard swingers need Xstiff". You add to that the fact that everyone's swing speed is posted like an avatar and it seems that there are more 110-120 and almost none 80-90. When in reality the 80-90 are about 80% of golfers out there. It seems like there are a alot of "I consistently hit it 300 yards off the tee" players in here...

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I can see both sides, and yes people do tend to exergerate on this site.

In my case I've always had a problem with a driver distance compared to my irons (can fly a 3 iron 220 on the range), it wasnt until I tried x-stiff shafts that I got more distance as I hit the ball very high. I never though of myself as a long hitter until a pro explained to me about spin induced by extreme clubhead speed caused by my club lag. (I'm a big hogan and Nicklaus fan and copied parts of their swing)

If I could swing a stiff shaft without balooning flight I would play stiff.