2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I see a lot of WRXers playing x flex

SacTown24

are you guys for real or bs'n?
I swear i see more WRXers playing x flex than any other flex. Maybe this site just attracts all the really good golfers, but i've been around this game for a while and very few people should be playing x flex. This post is not meant to criticize all of you playing x flex but do you think some people on here are lying?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt anyone is lying on the internet (wink;wink, nudge; nudge).

In all honesty, I expect that sites like this attract more interested and more skillful golfers than the general population. In other words, the population of the GolfWRX community does not represent the typical golfing population.

Personally, I need a Xtra stiff shaft in my driver because I swing the sh*t out of it. If you swing hard, you swing hard...maybe it's ego...then again, maybe I'm just LOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!

Only in my driver though...3-wood on down I'm DG S300.

I'm sure there are some very good golfers in the WRX community. When I say very good, I mean "RINGERS BABY, RINGERS!!!"

I'm sure there are some egos too, that really don't need what they've got, but to each his own. And yes, I'm 100% positive that there's some lying goin' on.....

I swear i see more WRXers playing x flex than any other flex. Maybe this site just attracts all the really good golfers, but i've been around this game for a while and very few people should be playing x flex. This post is not meant to criticize all of you playing x flex but do you think some people on here are lying?

While I agree some what, I say in humor, that most of the X players don't

have a 2 iron in the bag.

From an R flexer.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

While I agree some what, I say in humor, that most of the X players don't

have a 2 iron in the bag.

From an R flexer.

+1........Good call Picker! I can appreciate your humor in honor of the late great George Carlin!!! That's right up his alley!!! Excellent tribute, even if it was unintentional.

There is another point that should be made about the comment in the original post...

Maybe this site just attracts all the really good golfers, but i've been around this game for a while and very few people should be playing x flex.

X-flex is definitely not exclusive to 'really good' golfers. I am right on the edge with a driver swing speed of 108. I prefer the feeling of a softer shaft during the swing because I don't load the shaft really hard at the top, I am more of a swinger than a hitter. I am also not a very high spin player. A X-flex is not exclusive to 'really good' golfers. I play to a scratch handicap and shoot under par on a regular basis.

I think seeing X-flex seems to denote a 'really good' golfer in some people eyes. When it has more to do with a more powerful golfer who isn't always better than the players who aren't using X-flex shafts.

Good golf isn't always about distance. I average about 275 off the tee and that is plenty long enough to play most golf courses and tees I play. You become a better golfer from solid contact, accurate shots and an effective short game. Driver swing speed is rarely a huge contributor to becoming a scratch golfer.

I play a shift but can play a x-shift for example this last week used a friends driver with a x-flex steel shaft, hit about the same but had to swing a little harder (by a little harder i mean out of my shoes).

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've always played s300's in my irons and stiff in my woods. But in the past few years i have picked up alot of swing speed and think im in neex of x-stiff. Driver SS avg at 115. Anyways, I think it all depends on feel. Didnt sergio not long ago go to s300's in his irons b/c he hit his dads and liked the feel.... Right now im trying out rifle 6.0's which are supposed to be stiffer than the s300's but they feel like crap to me....

Callaway AI Smoke Tripe Diamond 9 @ 10   - Diamana PD 6TX

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond 15 @ 14   - Diamana BF 7TX

Callaway Apex UW 17*   - Ventus Red 9X

Taylormade SIM Hybrid 22* - Tensei Orange 9X
Callaway Rogue Pro 5i   - Dynamic Gold 120 TI x100

Callaway Apex TCB 6i - PW   - Dynamic Gold 120 TI x100
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 54F, 58K(lb)  - Dynamic Gold TI s400 Onyx

Odyssey WH OG 7ch  - Stroke Lab

Titleist ProV1x

I play x-100's in my irons & a 7* G2 with a x flex shaft. Until now I don't think anyone had any idea what flex my clubs are, I think most short hitters just want it to be an ego thing.

It's always the shorter hitters asking the club distance questions & then turn around & bash the guy that hit's a 6 iron 200yds calling him a liar.

I think that most people forget, theres something like 50,000 members here, thats alot of people... theres going to be alot of people playing an X when you consider people on here are very into golf and equipment, its not your guy who plays 9 holes once a month, its mostly people that work in the industry or if not play and practice constantly... So there will be some that do have the swing speed and some that dont... In my mind, what does it matter, were all different...

I do love playing with people that I don't know and they will randomly ask me what club I hit on a par 3 and they say, "you hit what!?!?!?" LOL

I'm just now getting back into golf, so right now things are a little rusty after about a 2.5-3 year layoff. I hit a 6 iron comfortably around 185-190. I hit the ball so high though, when I'm downwind, I sometimes hit two less clubs when everyone else in the group is hitting one less. Plus I still have some reserve, if need be...

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

I play X-100s in my irons and an X driver and would put it in the 3-wood and hybrid if I had the money (I think that would straighten out those hooks a bit!). But I'm also 6'2", young, and fairly athletic. It has absolutely nothing to do with how good of a golfer I am, because I play at about a 17 due largely to infrequency of play/practice. It's just that those clubs fit someone of my physical characteristics.

On the other hand, there are those who have really learned to maximize their swing speeds through great mechanics. It's not surprising that a number of them would frequent this website, as someone mentioned earlier. So probably you're going to get a higher number of X's here mostly due to that.

And it seems like the rest of the golf world is almost oblivious to X-flex stuff. Go to Golfsmith.com and try to buy an X-flex shafted driver; it's almost impossible. Should this be the case? On a major internet retailer? Probably not, but that's reality. So you have to come here to find out about and buy/sell that kind of thing.

One thing that does surprise is that after 25 years in this business, having fit hundreds of golfers, measured many times that, had all the "latest devices" available during that time, etc. I saw few golfers with swing speeds over 100mph, less over 105, less over 110 and damn few, I repeat few, faster.

I use to make money by betting some of the "egos" that came in my shop tellng me that their swing speed was so and so. I bet them that I would pay them $5.00 if at that speed or over it if they paid me $1.00 per MPH they were under it. I would even use two devices at the same time to show them.

Many arrive at the speed they thought by how far they hit the ball (they of course counted roll and forget down hill thingys), were measured on "machines" that did not actually measure clubhead speed (like those that extrapolate it), those that used like ball speed to MPH with the wrong divide factor, on machine were one can "adjust" the conditions (you should see my drives at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, versus my home course here at sea level), etc.

Yesterday, I hit one tee shot further on a hole then I had ever it the ball before on that hole. Is that now my "new" swing whatever measurement? I not only do not think so. I know it is not so.

Last, but not least, many raise everything in life (their height, their so and so length, their salary, etc.) by a factor........LOL

Now watch all those 110mph plussers get on my butt. They will lead of with: I do not know about you/others, but I.....etc......LOL

One thing that does surprise is that after 25 years in this business, having fit hundreds of golfers, measured many times that, had all the "latest devices" available during that time, etc. I saw few golfers with swing speeds over 100mph, less over 105, less over 110 and damn few, I repeat few, faster.

I use to make money by betting some of the "egos" that came in my shop tellng me that their swing speed was so and so. I bet them that I would pay them $5.00 if at that speed or over it if they paid me $1.00 per MPH they were under it. I would even use two devices at the same time to show them.

Many arrive at the speed they thought by how far they hit the ball (they of course counted roll and forget down hill thingys), were measured on "machines" that did not actually measure clubhead speed (like those that extrapolate it), those that used like ball speed to MPH with the wrong divide factor, on machine were one can "adjust" the conditions (you should see my drives at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, versus my home course here at sea level), etc.

Yesterday, I hit one tee shot further on a hole then I had ever it the ball before on that hole. Is that now my "new" swing whatever measurement? I not only do not think so. I know it is not so.

Last, but not least, many raise everything in life (their height, their so and so length, their salary, etc.) by a factor........LOL

Now watch all those 110mph plussers get on my butt. They will lead of with: I do not know about you/others, but I.....etc......LOL

you nailed it right on the head.

Well from personal experience of fitting people to clubs everyday most people shouldn't even be playing the stiff shafts they have lol. I am rather new to this site but I would imagine most of the people on here are avid golfers or atleast have a good idea of what they should be playing. There deffinatly is an ego thing with the shaft though, I see it everyday and people take offense when i fit them to a shaft that isn't as stiff as their previous one. I'm not sure what the big deal is about having an "R" stamped on your shaft, there's a reason they make it. On a side note, got to play golf today with my friend who is a Mizuno rep and he had luke donalds old D2 that he took from him after he switched to the MP-600, had a 65 gram YS-6 Stiff shaft, thought that was kinda cool.

I use X because when I go to get fitted for clubs that is what I hit the best... if they told me to use R I would use R... no ego involved... in fact, it's pretty rare that anyone ever asks me or cares about it for that matter... My irons don't have shaft bands on them so if asked I just say I don't know... (I do of course but I don't like getting into those discussions mid-round, it's like asking a guy if he inhales or exhales when he swings)

I feel comfortable hitting any flex really, one of my favorite bets when I am on vacation with the wife is to bet whoever is with us that I can hit her driver farther than he can hit his..... I haven't lost that one yet... She has some kind of Callaway (C4) with a ladies shaft... I can hit it 280 max.. but so far I have picked my victims well.

I just get better control with X right now with my comfortable, hit the target, middle of the fairway swing... very accurate. I could probably pick up some distance with a tipped Stiff but I have to really change my natural tempo and hold onto it a little longer than I like to.

I would be happy if they put the X, S, R, L... under the grip... who really cares as long as you can hit your target and get decent distance out of your swing? I'd tell everyone I used ladies Flex... that would freak them out!

i guess my whole point comes down to this-

and

Well from personal experience of fitting people to clubs everyday most people shouldn't even be playing the stiff shafts they have lol.

but i certainly understand:

I use X because when I go to get fitted for clubs that is what I hit the best

but i just think that there really arent that many people that

use X because when I go to get fitted for clubs that is what I hit the best

thats my point. but also, like i said this site attracts many avid golfers and with time swings get better and faster with the right practice. im certainly not saying that fast swing speeds = a good golfer, i am just saying that a very good golfer is more likely to have a "fast" swing speed compared to an average or below average golfer.

but hey, im glad to see a lot of people chime in.