2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I see a lot of WRXers playing x flex

SacTown24

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with above poster. If you have fundamentally sound swing (late release), I don't think it's matter of how strong you are to swing 110mph+. Look at some juior goplfer and LPGA player with sound swing, with small body frame they hit the ball 280-300 yrds+ without any problems....

Dial your numbers back to 250-280 and I can kind of agree with what you are saying.

I don't think there are ANY players on the LPGA averaging 300... without checking, there probably are only a couple even sniffing 280.... Juniors? There have to be a couple who can average 270-280 but 300? There are only a few on The PGA tour who do that.... the smaller the golfer the shorter the shot given identical technique to a larger, stronger person... You need strength to generate club head speed, there is also what I would call resistance at impact which favors a stonger person.... Watch a long drive competition... there are not a lot of contenders who are slight of build there....

There are some juniors who can flat out move a golf ball. If you think there are only a couple of juniors who can average 270-280 you would be in for a surprise at top level junior events.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I totally agree with above poster. If you have fundamentally sound swing (late release), I don't think it's matter of how strong you are to swing 110mph+. Look at some juior goplfer and LPGA player with sound swing, with small body frame they hit the ball 280-300 yrds+ without any problems....

Dial your numbers back to 250-280 and I can kind of agree with what you are saying.

I don't think there are ANY players on the LPGA averaging 300... without checking, there probably are only a couple even sniffing 280.... Juniors? There have to be a couple who can average 270-280 but 300? There are only a few on The PGA tour who do that.... the smaller the golfer the shorter the shot given identical technique to a larger, stronger person... You need strength to generate club head speed, there is also what I would call resistance at impact which favors a stonger person.... Watch a long drive competition... there are not a lot of contenders who are slight of build there....

There are some juniors who can flat out move a golf ball. If you think there are only a couple of juniors who can average 270-280 you would be in for a surprise at top level junior events.

I referee at top level junior events. Kids are longer but so is everyone else... and like everyone else they overestimate how far they hit it... I always hear short hitting adults talk about how long this kid or that kid is, when I get on the course with them, they are 20 yards behind me...

I remember one kid who is tall and skinny, he is a great player probably a +1 or 2... he was bragged up pretty big especially how long he is... turns our he wasn't long at all just insane with a putter and his irons.... he averaged 260 which probably blows past all the old guys who were bragging about him hitting 300... his longest drive was almost 280... He shot 3 under.

If you hit it long like I do think about all the times you play with people who when you hit a solid 280 drive instantly say "you hit that at least 300"... get a Sky Caddie you will be humbled about how long you really hit your driver.

So,,, I still don't see many averaging more than 250-260 until they get past puberty... some high school kids start to hit adult length shots but look at it this way they are not at the long end of the PGA tour averages... maybe the short end which is 280 like I say above... there are a couple kids I know who can get 300 under good conditions but they don't avergage more than 270-280.

Is there some High Schooler that hits it 300 every time? probably, somewhere... is it common? No way...

I play with a lot of top juniors in SoCal, kids that will play top college golf someday, most are not that long. They are great putters had have insane short games, all they do is go to school and play golf year round. They just lack the size and stregth that they will someday get... until they do, they don't hit it 300. Someday they will... some of them anyway... The world needs Corey Pavin's too.

I also Play a X in my irons and woods. I have a ss of 115-125 w/ the driver. Playing a X flex helps me feel like I have better control, I hit more FW's with an X than I ever did with a Stiff.....The only clubs that I play that is stiff are my hybrids (but they are tipped to play Stiff +) and my Ping Rapture 7.5 w/ Pink (bubba style) Bimatrix (the shaft plays stronger than flex states)

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

Good Post! I have to agree with you I consider myself a long hitter I swing it consistently above 116mph and get a ball speed on my driver of about 180mph, I generally hit it about 320 yards in dallas, 295 at sea level but if I go after it and sling one I can carry it 350 ( Longest drive is 438 Dallas athletic club no.17 blue down wind :) ) anyway I can count the guys on one hand who I know of that hit it past or next too me consistantly, but on this site everysecond guy is swinging it above 110 mph. s*** I've seen numbers on this site like 125 mph all the time who are these guys? Another thing is just because you swung out your shoes inside golf galaxy once and the crappy computer told you the swing speed was 125mph doesn't mean your every day swing is 125 mph. Firstly you need to be measured on a high quality device, like the vector which is the one they used in the US open for instance and it is the one many tour vans test on. And secondly you need to swing like you would on a golf course when you are trying to actually find a fairway.

I am going to go out on a limb and say there are a lot of guys living out their fantacies through this site, I garentee there are guys that are posting swing speeds and equipment specs they wish they were able to acheive and use. And then there are a bunch of people that just don't know what they're talking about. If you have been tested on a driving range, with a high quality device using good quality balls, (swinging a way that you can consitantly repeat and control shape and tagectory) and your swing speed it still over 110 mph, then you are definitely palying the right flex using X. But if you once clocked 115 mph in some cheap simulator then you might want to get properly fitted.

Now before I get any pissed off replys, I am not saying that everyone on here who says they play an X and swing it at 125 mph is really 5ft 2 and bombs it 250 but I am sure this creature does exist.

I was fitted and was recommended to have X flex in my driver, 3 and 5 wood. Playing swing 112-115 mph and I hit a long ball. But even better I hit a consistent ball with this shaft and get a nice low boring flight. With a less flex I tend to hook it left where X flex I don't.

I'm the only one in my playing group of mates that has X shaft and I have the highest index (8.2). For me I hit the ball better with these shafts/DCT head combo. I average 270-280 metres but some players who don't hit it this far or see it regularly are prone to over estimating the distance I get.

There are people out there who use the X thing as an ego boost but the best boost you can get is playing an awesome round. For me I'll rather hit a sub 80 round than blast it "300 metres" on every drive and get some ego boost from my playing partners for doing it.

Wade

My SS varies between 105 and 110 with driver. I have a R flex in my driver and my average driving distance is around 285-290 with a few getting up around 300.

I feel if you hit it well and you like it, play it. Some people let their ego get in the way of their golf game. I let my game get in the way of my ego.

My SS varies between 105 and 110 with driver. I have a R flex in my driver and my average driving distance is around 285-290 with a few getting up around 300.

I feel if you hit it well and you like it, play it. Some people let their ego get in the way of their golf game. I let my game get in the way of my ego.

What? How?

I don't peek at the flex designation on anybody's shaft just like I don't listen if anyone says what club they hit on a Par 3. Somebody else's swing speed or 7-iron distance matters to me about as much as their yearly income or hat size...not at all.

When I had been playing golf a couple of years I caught up and joined two guys playing ahead of me on a course here in town. On one downhill Par 3 I had my 5-wood in hand and was trying to decide whether to choke down and take something off or just swing it full. One of the guys, about my size and maybe a couple years younger, pulls out a pitching wedge and airmails the green, bouncing up a slope and onto the tee box of the next hole. The other guy said to me "Don't pay any attention, he is crazy long with the wedges" but I just couldn't believe that my 5-wood wouldn't end up on next tee with him. So I choked way down and took a little 3/4 swing which landed 30 yards short of the green and rolled into the front bunker.

That's the last time I ever peeked at somebody's club on a Par 3. If that guy played an X shaft or an A shaft it wouldn't matter, he just hits it crazy long and that's his gig. BTW, he wedged it into the hole for a birdie from the next tee box. Turns out he was like a 2-handicap and ended up shooting a 69 or something ridiculous that day.

One thing that does surprise is that after 25 years in this business, having fit hundreds of golfers, measured many times that, had all the "latest devices" available during that time, etc. I saw few golfers with swing speeds over 100mph, less over 105, less over 110 and damn few, I repeat few, faster.

I use to make money by betting some of the "egos" that came in my shop tellng me that their swing speed was so and so. I bet them that I would pay them $5.00 if at that speed or over it if they paid me $1.00 per MPH they were under it. I would even use two devices at the same time to show them.

Many arrive at the speed they thought by how far they hit the ball (they of course counted roll and forget down hill thingys), were measured on "machines" that did not actually measure clubhead speed (like those that extrapolate it), those that used like ball speed to MPH with the wrong divide factor, on machine were one can "adjust" the conditions (you should see my drives at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, versus my home course here at sea level), etc.

Yesterday, I hit one tee shot further on a hole then I had ever it the ball before on that hole. Is that now my "new" swing whatever measurement? I not only do not think so. I know it is not so.

Last, but not least, many raise everything in life (their height, their so and so length, their salary, etc.) by a factor........LOL

Now watch all those 110mph plussers get on my butt. They will lead of with: I do not know about you/others, but I.....etc......LOL

honest question...what's your SS?

I replied about me being fitted with my 6.0 rifles. Which brings up a good question to other club fitters here maybe they can put their 2 cents in. My 6 iron swing speed is 97 and carry is 180-185. My carry on my 9 is 150 44.5°. Would I be better off at say a rifle 5.5 or 6.5 would I be longer? I already told my reasoning for my drivers and woods but wondering about the irons.

Kevin

Pavin ranks 196th in driving distance with an average of 262.1 yards -- some 50 behind Watson, the current leader. Conversely, only one player, Larry Mize, who turns 50 later this year, ranks below Pavin and that's by just 7/10ths of a yard.

Based on the above, the average PGA Tour Driving distance is 286. Listed on their web site is a driving distance average of 283.7. NOTICE THE WORD AVERAGE.

LPGA does not list average but they list by player actual driving distance. #1 is 270, #150 is 236, #75 is 248.7 so we can assume that is their average.

Bad math, bad. Go sit in the corner.

248.7 is the median driving distance. It has nothing to do with the average. Also, based only on the information you have provided the average driving distance on the PGA Tour should be 278.2.

Guys. pls read my post again... did I say "average" 280-300+? No, Right~? Go watch PGA of LPGA player hit driver @ range and see how far they are capable of hitting the ball (not into the wind of course)... my point was there are tons of people not counting pros whos capable of hitting long way and thus X-flex might suit them the best. yes of course there will be poeple use X-flex just to satisfy their ego, it's their loss.... in that case....

TaylorMade Stealth 2 + 9.0* Hzrdus Black 4G 6.5 60g
TaylorMade Stealth 2 15* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5 70g
Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder Evo HB 85X
Srixon Z 785 3-PW Modus 120X
Mizuno S 18 52*, 58* TT 400S

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Pavin ranks 196th in driving distance with an average of 262.1 yards -- some 50 behind Watson, the current leader. Conversely, only one player, Larry Mize, who turns 50 later this year, ranks below Pavin and that's by just 7/10ths of a yard.

Based on the above, the average PGA Tour Driving distance is 286. Listed on their web site is a driving distance average of 283.7. NOTICE THE WORD AVERAGE.

LPGA does not list average but they list by player actual driving distance. #1 is 270, #150 is 236, #75 is 248.7 so we can assume that is their average.

248.7 is the median driving distance. It has nothing to do with the average. Also, based only on the information you have provided the average driving distance on the PGA Tour should be 278.2.

Guys. pls read my post again... did I say "average" 280-300+? No, Right~? Go watch PGA of LPGA player hit driver @ range and see how far they are capable of hitting the ball (not into the wind of course)... my point was there are tons of people not counting pros whos capable of hitting long way and thus X-flex might suit them the best. yes of course there will be poeple use X-flex just to satisfy their ego, it's their loss.... in that case....

I'm not sure why you quoted me - I didn't say anything about your point.

Post read.

The number of LPGA measured drives over 280 is a pretty small number.... my 9 year old can hit it 300 off a cliff with a tail wind...is that what you are talking about?

My response addressed your opinion that juniors and LPGA tour players are regularly hitting lots of 280+ dirves.... they aren't. I posted the numbers for the LPGA and the PGA to show you and others who think a small person with the right technique and equipment can hit it that long... they can't. The LPGA is the proof, small people with perfect swings and perfectly set up equipment the very best on measured drives can only do 270... most are in the 250-260 range.

When you watch someone hit balls on a range, you have no idea how far the ball is going. I suspect you; like a lot of others see someone puring it and immediately the 300 light goes off. I wish I really hit it 300 for every time someone I was playing with said "wow you hit that at least 300"

Tying this back to the thread, I would guess that zero LPGA players have X flex in their drivers... I will guarantee you that many of the bigger, stronger players on this forum need X flex shafts to contain their swings. I know that a lot of PGA tour players use X flex shafts in their drivers... I would guess that Corey Pavin plays a Stiff...

It should also be said that there are many players who can whack it over 300 yards but can't break 80... the gals on the LPGA are breaking 70 hitting it 250 on 6500 yard golf courses... which game would you rather have?

Been reading this for a while and decided to post. The most embellished sport in the world is golf. I can count the number of guys on one hand who brag about being able to dunk or hit homeruns (softball) but every other guy I talk to about golf hits it 300+. I've been getting a bit sick of the talk so lately of been calling guys out. Now to the original post. I've played stiff for most of my life and recently bought X-100s in Pi5s but I have to admit my old Deep Red Distance II Fat Shaft stiffs were at least a club longer. S300 is probably the better fit for me but I got a great deal on the Pi5s so I'm sticking with them for now. I have to agree that there are plenty of people that play "X" because it is manly or tough. Whether or not everyone in here is a banger isn't discernible unless we all play golf with each other. I think the most likely post is there are guys in here that bang and guys who think they bang.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

In my area average is 220-240 yards for general average male and 200 yards for female . 240-260 yards is pretty normal for above average and they are capable to go 300+ once in a blue moon.

I don't play it 300 maybe less than 4 times per round. and 260 - 280 is the average. dont go one speed for me , depends on holes i will hit it relax or turn on the accelerator ... The key is average .e..but I am the type who tee it low and hit them down. losss quite a bit of distance on that.

I have very poor launch condition but I find the way i play it keeps it in the fairway and certainly Long enough .

All I am going to say is that 300 yards is a long a** way and having a 25% variance between average and long in your drive distance is actually pretty huge.

In case you missed it, 300 yards is along a** way. Longer than most people realize. And cutting the corner is not a 300 yard drive. It is a strategic 250 yard drive.

All I am going to say is that 300 yards is a long a** way and having a 25% variance between average and long in your drive distance is actually pretty huge.

In case you missed it, 300 yards is along a** way. Longer than most people realize. And cutting the corner is not a 300 yard drive. It is a strategic 250 yard drive.

Couldn't agree more and on top of it I play most my golf in Upstate NY where the ball only rolls 2 weeks a year so it's all carry...

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I play with a guy that is long,long and he still plays just a tipped stiff shaft, but he has a silky smooth swing with a great transition at the top. One other thing,to hit a ball 300yds is tough, but to carry a ball 300yds is a huge swing with damn near perfect contact and trajectory. I play in central florida where come summer time it is hot fast and hard in the fairways. To hit balls that carry 250ish and roll 30-40 yards is not that unusual, but my my partner hits it close to 300 in the air and can roll it to 350 sometimes it is stupid but not really 350 with the rollout being so far. Todd

There is another point that should be made about the comment in the original post...

Maybe this site just attracts all the really good golfers, but i've been around this game for a while and very few people should be playing x flex.

X-flex is definitely not exclusive to 'really good' golfers. I am right on the edge with a driver swing speed of 108. I prefer the feeling of a softer shaft during the swing because I don't load the shaft really hard at the top, I am more of a swinger than a hitter. I am also not a very high spin player. A X-flex is not exclusive to 'really good' golfers. I play to a scratch handicap and shoot under par on a regular basis.

I think seeing X-flex seems to denote a 'really good' golfer in some people eyes. When it has more to do with a more powerful golfer who isn't always better than the players who aren't using X-flex shafts.

Good golf isn't always about distance. I average about 275 off the tee and that is plenty long enough to play most golf courses and tees I play. You become a better golfer from solid contact, accurate shots and an effective short game. Driver swing speed is rarely a huge contributor to becoming a scratch golfer.

Great post; I have the identical swing profile as you (and similar handicap) and choose X-flex shafts on the soft side (671te, 660tr etc). While these shafts state X-flex on the label they actually have very active tips and frequency out in the low 260's which traditionally has fallen into the stiff flex category. So my point is X-flex isn't always what you might think....

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

You can see my clubs and what I play and I've never been fitted. Part of the reason for that is because I don't want some kid at GOLFMART or whatever telling me I need to play a 10.5 driver with a regular flex and that I'm wasting money on 3 piece balls, I should just use top flights cause I'll get more distance. All I know is that I hit my driver over 300 most of the time, mis hits go about 280, I carry my 6 iron 200 and my pitching wedge 145. When I use a stiff shaft with my driver, sometimes the ball goes forever, but usually just shoots high and right. Basically I'd rather lose 10 yards on all my clubs and be more accurate...

his name is sergio garcia and in his irons he uses dg s300 shafts. now you know.

i play extra stiff shafts in my driver which is a cobra speed driver the pro d model with the proto x aldila shaft. ive gained 10 yards at least and hit a more consistant fade hitting on average about 270-275.

in my irons i play true temper black gold x flex in my irons which are adams a3 i use the actual 4 and 5 iron tho. i like hybrids i just havent gotten around to getting a 18 or 19 degree to fill the gap.

in my wedges i play s400 shafts. thats for feel tho.

i shoot high 70's and its mostly due in part to less than quality putting. except for my last 9 holes in which i would have shot 1 over 36 but i hit my pitching wedge over the 135 yard par 3 and out of bounds... it only takes 1 hole to destroy a good round lol.

i play x flex cuz i love the way it feels and because it says x flex for some reason it give me more confidence. my swing speed driver wise is consistent at 108 to 110. if i used stiff id probably hit it further but id probably have less control and im less concerned with distance than i am accuracy.

That Sergio story has been doing the rounds since... well, since the story really.

One theory was that he tried a set of his father Victor's clubs and liked the feel of the softer S300 shafts in them so much that he had a set fitted in a set of his own irons which were the ones featured in that WITB article.

Another theory is more simple. It was a misprint and should have read 'X300.'

Whatever, it's a moot point now as he's playing some Project X shafts.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2