Forest Dunes Golf Course- Roscommon Michigan

JHR

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JHR,

Thanks! Great pics of a super looking course. We are playing there in 3 weeks on our way to Lakewood Shores and Red Hawk.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

JHR,

Thanks! Great pics of a super looking course. We are playing there in 3 weeks on our way to Lakewood Shores and Red Hawk.

Thanks Bend,

Forest was nice, lots of hype, way out in the middle of no-where.

Lakewood is nice, same owners as Indianwood, and i have heard Redhawk is great, i know i can expect some pictures.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I played there twice yesterday. The course is simply amazing. It's my new favorite. The conditioning is absolutely perfect, and the greens are probably the best I've ever seen -- quick as hell, though. It's a really good test -- a good mix of holes that turn right and left, and greens that favor different ball flights to access the pins. It's very fair, with most of the trouble laid out in front of you. And the scenery is simply beautiful -- even without lake views. The combination of dunes and forest are a nice contrast.

Other highlights:

The practice facility is great -- a range with several targets, plus side areas for working on your wedge game, and a couple of practice bunkers.

Merchandise in the pro-shop is as cheap as you'll find anywhere. Everything is priced at cost + a small margin. I bought a nice hat that was marked at $25 for a little over 9 bucks.

The clubhouse is really nice, and overlooks the 9th, 18th, and 19th (Bye hole) greens. The food in the restaurant was good, as well.

The bye hole is a nice touch -- You finish 18 holes and get to play a little more golf. It's just a short Par 3 over water to a green with a bunker in the middle of it. Of course, I birdied the hole that doesn't count. ;)

Service was very friendly in both the clubhouse and on the course.

I've played several courses in the north part of the state, and this is my new favorite. I still haven't played Arcadia Bluffs yet (we were going to this weekend, but found out that they had aerated the greens recently) I also played Black Lake for the first time this weekend, which was also very nice, but not quite up to the level of Forest Dunes.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 4 months later...

A few pics from last October:

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='rlheiman' post='1845642' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:45 AM']I am hoping to play here in a week or so. Where else to play in the area? I am hoping to get in at least 36 if not 54 on one day.

I was thinking about maybe hitting the Dream and the Nightmare, any other suggestions for 36 more holes after Forest Dunes?[/quote]

The Dream and Nightmare are 30 mins. drive time from Forest Dunes. The Gaylord courses are about 40 mins. Traverse City 1 hour. A suggestion would be to do a replay at Forest Dunes, then do another 18 for 54 total at the "Dunes". LOL. Seriously, the Dream and Nightmare are both very nice and the closest as far as drive time. I prefer the Nightmare. Do consider 36 at Forest Dunes, you will appreciate the course even more the second time around.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

• 2 months later...

My god, I love this course. My dad and I played it twice on Saturday, and I just can't get enough of it. The greens are just so amazing. Lightning fast, and so true. In 40 holes (including the 19th hole both times, and we played the back 9 par 3s twice the second round because the pace had slowed down), I had one putt that didn't roll right where I hit it.
I'd love to find a way to buy a vacation house up there or find a way to justify the cost of a membership. If it goes private like I keep hearing is the goal, I'll probably cry. My favorite course in Michigan by a long shot (still need to play Arcadia Bluffs, though).

Forest Dunes Golf Course, Roscommon, MI

Everything is Top Notch

Michigan has some great golf courses and regularly holds various Tour events throughout the state. With so many great courses and such fierce competition, Forest Dunes, has placed itself near the top of any list for the best public course in the state. I have it ranked as my second favorite public course in the State. (It would probably be my first if it had views of a great lake.)

I am finding a trend that the really good courses in the US are far away from civilization. Forest Dunes is no different; it is some 8 miles away from Roscommon, which is by no means a bustling metropolis, and some 3 ½ hours from Detroit. After driving over the hills and through the woods, you are greeted by a regal sign and immediately feel like you have entered a high-end retreat. After winding down the property’s main roads, you enter the parking lot of a huge, craftsman style clubhouse. The course is still hidden from sight, but just the clubhouse leads you to believe that you are in for a treat.

102_0581.jpg

At the bag drop I was greeted by the most helpful attendant I have ever met. The older gentleman helped get me set up on my cart, gave me some easy instructions to get started and even got a couple of AA batteries for my camera, since my back-ups were dead too. The pro in the shop was really friendly and helpful explaining about the tournament that had been held at the course the day before so the greens would be moving. The starter kindly gave me a ball mark repair tool, a bag tag, a scorecard, a yardage book and great words of advice on how to play the course. He also let me know about the super slow 4-some in front of me that should allow me to play through in a couple of holes.

102_0580.jpg

From the first tee you could see hole 1, hole 9, hole 18, hole 19 and even over to hole 10. It is quite the vista of what was to come. Away I went, striping the first drive, which is still one of my favorite feelings in golf. It only got better, after sticking my approach to 2 feet and tapping in for birdie on the first was a sign of things to come. I decided to take a stab at the full course. Playing the tips at 7141 might seem like much, but it never seemed out of reach. Hole 2 felt like a tight driving hole, even though it really wasn’t, but the long dogleg left is tough to par. Hole 3 was a nice longer par 3. It feels very cut into the forest, yet plenty wide, even if your shot isn’t perfect. The front 9 moved a little slow until I passed the group on hole 4. This was a medium par 4 that narrowed right in the landing zone. Hole 5 was a great bombs away par 5. It was a slight dogleg left. On the approach, balls tend to kick right so playing up the left side works a little better. Hole 6 was a great risk reward. There was a tree and complex of traps dividing the fairways. I hit a soft 3 wood draw that put me in the lower left corner of the first fairway, which offered a great approach angle. Hole 7 was a nasty par 5. It played pretty wide off the tee, but the second shot position is vital to getting close to the hole. The right side is a far easier approach. Hole 8 gives you no chance to let up since it is long and very well guarded. The right side is dead for this entire hole. There is a bunch of bunkers on the corner to catch drives and then the lake/pond wrap around the green on the right side. Going left allows you to run one down to the green. The front 9 closed with an intimidating, yet reasonably long par 3 over water.

Hole 1

102_0563.jpg

Hole 2

102_0565.jpg

Hole 5

102_0566.jpg

Hole 6

102_0567.jpg

Wildlife on Hole 7

102_0568.jpg

Hole 8

102_0570.jpg

Hole 9

102_0571.jpg

After a quick buzz by the clubhouse, I found my way over to hole 10 for more adventures. It’s all about picking which fairway. I decided to aim at the bunker splitting the fairway figuring I’d go to one side or the other. Nope, right in the center of the bunker, but recovered to hit the wrong corner of this crazy kidney shaped green. Hole 11, a shorter par 3, offered a little relief but hole 12 was time to tighten up the straps. It’s not to tough off the tee, but the approach was tricky over the water on the right, especially when the pin is tucked up near the bank. Hole 13 was another little breather before a tough three hole stretch. The two-tier green is all about being on the right level. Hole 14 was a beast. There was a swampy sort of water feature on the left and it was long. At 464 and played into a cross wind, I was happy to reach in two. Hole 15 was no easier. This left dog leg was tough to reach in 2, but possible because the green was sunken enough that balls will run down to it. 16 was the hardest par 3 on the course. You had to strike a good shot at least 200 yards to carry the waste area to reach the pin at 231. Hole 17 was just pure fun. Bomb at the green and see what happens. It had a semi blind landing zone, this was one of the best hole on the course. Big hitters could go for it; even shorter hitters have all sorts of options. Hole 18 was appropriately named Eagle Chance. It was a shorter par 5, with danger long and left. But wait, your not done yet, you get a free hole, 19. It was a gamblers hole to settle the round, with a bunker smack in the middle of the green, making it important to be in the right section of this green to cash in.

Hole 11

102_0572.jpg

Hole 14

102_0575.jpg

Hole 16

102_0577.jpg

Hole 17

102_0578.jpg

Hole 18

102_0579.jpg

This Troon managed course has all the amenities; a nice restaurant, and the extensive practice facilities all of which are top notch. The course conditions were second to none. I think it might have been the best conditions I have ever played. Tom Weiskopf created and sculpted a fun, playable, yet tough championship course. It feels like the course just belongs there as it blends in with and natural setting and houseless backdrop. It also is a Gold Signature Certified Audubon Course, making one of only 12 property worldwide to have such an honor. Forest Dunes is a must play if you are in the state of MI. From start to finish everything is top notch.

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' post='1988263' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:37 AM']My god, I love this course. My dad and I played it twice on Saturday, and I just can't get enough of it. The greens are just so amazing. Lightning fast, and so true. In 40 holes (including the 19th hole both times, and we played the back 9 par 3s twice the second round because the pace had slowed down), I had one putt that didn't roll right where I hit it.
I'd love to find a way to buy a vacation house up there or find a way to justify the cost of a membership. If it goes private like I keep hearing is the goal, I'll probably cry. My favorite course in Michigan by a long shot (still need to play Arcadia Bluffs, though).[/quote]

Tiger Jr.,
I was there all day Saturday also. The greens are truly amazing. You mentioned how fast the greens are. They are currently running at 10.5 to 11. During the Michigan Senior PGA tournament the 1st week of August they were running at 12, last year's Senior PGA they were 14! A little whining was overheard from some of the pro's. Glad you had another great experience at F.D.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

• 2 weeks later...

We played there again just a few weeks back...can't get enough of this place. Three golfwrxr's played 36 out there and the club pro. This is by far the best course I have ever played (played it last year too). Jeff, your damn lucky to have this place in your back yard. I still can't find a flaw on the track. We also played True North and Black Lake on the trip. Black Lake is a tight UAW course..its a beast from tips 7100 yards with woods on both sides and not very open. The day we played it was super wet and had no role. I was happy to stay in the 70s that day. Then played True North, very scenic with some great holes..lots of elevation changes. Reminded us a lot of Tullymore with more elevation changes. Beautiful track...prefer this over Black Lake. Forest Dunes is by far the best of the bunch..immaculate condition, great layout, no hidden shots. This a great track from the tips. We played with a member (openwater32), great guy..highly recommend others to join him for a round. I would be happy just playing at least 36 a day for 3 straight days here and never have to go elsewhere. AWESOME!!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Bill,
You're absolutely correct, I am lucky to have Forest Dunes in my backyard! A big thanks to you and Josh for making the drive from GR and BR. As far as playing 36 a day for 3 days......we can do that! It can be a GolfWrx.com outing. Any GolfWrx'ers interested drop me a PM. If there is enough interest we'll reserve tee time and lodging and have a blast. Here is a fairly accurate estimate of cost;
Accompained guest green fees....$75.00...replay $35.00=$110.00 X 3 days..............................$330.00
On site rental homes member rate...$220.00 per night..divided by 4 per home..$55.00 X 2 nights....$110.00
Total...$440.00 per person.

There are 3 homes together X 4 per house makes a nice workable group at 12 guys. If you drop me a PM or reply to this post please indicate your preference for weekend or mid-week, which month best fits your schedule, preference of buy groceries and cook on site or do the restaurant thing. { I make a mean dry rubbed beef tenderloin with Bobby Flay's Bar Americain steak sauce}. Keep in mind F.D. aerates in mid April and mid August.

Apologies to the OP as this is kind of a Hijack!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' post='2022525' date='Oct 23 2009, 12:58 PM']Bill,
You're absolutely correct, I am lucky to have Forest Dunes in my backyard! A big thanks to you and Josh for making the drive from GR and BR. As far as playing 36 a day for 3 days......we can do that! It can be a GolfWrx.com outing. Any GolfWrx'ers interested drop me a PM. If there is enough interest we'll reserve tee time and lodging and have a blast. Here is a fairly accurate estimate of cost;
Accompained guest green fees....$75.00...replay $35.00=$110.00 X 3 days..............................$330.00
On site rental homes member rate...$220.00 per night..divided by 4 per home..$55.00 X 2 nights....$110.00
Total...$440.00 per person.

There are 3 homes together X 4 per house makes a nice workable group at 12 guys. If you drop me a PM or reply to this post please indicate your preference for weekend or mid-week, which month best fits your schedule, preference of buy groceries and cook on site or do the restaurant thing. { I make a mean dry rubbed beef tenderloin with Bobby Flay's Bar Americain steak sauce}. Keep in mind F.D. aerates in mid April and mid August.

Apologies to the OP as this is kind of a Hijack![/quote]
Josh and I are in for sure!!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag