2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Highway 18 -- WTF??!!!

alkibiades

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully once this show is done....... i hope keri murphy gets more on air time with the gc

she is really a treat to watch and would be one of the top people working at the golf channel - maybe they could clear house of some of the dead wood and give keri a wider variety of programming to be involved with or host

I would also like to see Academy Live come back. Also did they ditch "What's in the Bag"? I liked seeing all the equipment and how it was made.

9.5* Titleist 910 d2 w/Aldila RIP Phenom
16.5* Titleist 910f w/Aldila RIP Phenom
22* Titleist 503h
5-PW Ping G25
52*, 56*, 60* Vokeys
Scotty Studio Select 2.6 Custom

I would also like to see Academy Live come back. Also did they ditch "What's in the Bag"? I liked seeing all the equipment and how it was made.

I wasn't much for Academy Live, but LOVE What's in the Bag. Just to see what's coming out and the process a company goes through feeds the golf equipment geek in me!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I hate the MTV business model of removing their main content and replacing it with 'reality' type programming. Does MTV even have music videos any more?

What main content do you think they've removed? There's more golf telecast on TGC than ever before.

Doubtful. Now they show the first two days of the PGA event, the European Tour, the Senior event, the Nationwide and maybe the LPGA depending on the week.

In the old days 7 or 8 years ago, they still had the European Tour, Nationwide and occasional Senior/LPGA event. But they used to televise every Canadian Tour event, the Challenge Tour, the Asian Tour, the Australian Tour, the Sunshine Tour, the EuroPro tour, European Senior Tour, Ladies European Tour etc. Outside of Academy Live which was an hour per day, Golf Central, and Golf Talk Live with Peter Kessler, if you turned on TGC back then you were going to see tournament golf.

It all started to change when they ditched Peter Kessler. Soon after that, they did that show with Dean Reinmuth, where he was supposed to help some bad golfer break 90 after just a few lessons, and then they moved to more and more reality shows instead of the coverage of the various tours they used to show.

I hate the idea of these shows in general, but I know and have played with Andy and Parker (one of the two-player "teams", which is all I know about the format). Andy Monday qualified a few years ago in Greensboro, he's a legitimate player.

I'd enjoy Big Break if it was 32 mini-tour players with legit potential in a single elimination match play tournament. Or at least more straight-up golf and no more ridiculous challenges.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

Guys.....let's keep this tasteful. I've had to delete and edit WAY too many posts already. Keep the sexual remarks and descriptions to yourselves. We can have a discussion about programming, or lack therof, and keep on topic, without all the "colorful" and descriptive comments.

Thanks.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

The reasons they run the reality shows are simple - advertising and product placement. Everything on the Big Break is sponsored by some company or another, which is funny because the prizes for the winner aren't really that great (besides the car). They ran that stupid Myrtle Beach show that was nothing more than a glorified commercial, and it looks like Higway 18 will be more of the same. It's business as usual for TGC - they have run off or lost the hosts and personalities who actually had something to offer (SVP, Jennifer Mills, even Kessler though I thought he was arrogant) and force third-tier talents like Tilghman and Inga Hammond on the viewer, most likely to save a dollar.

It seems like it's all an attempt to skew the viewership demographic younger with contrived shows (the ones mnetioned previously, The Approach, The Turn, etc.) to appeal to advertisers. Meanwhile, the actual golf, the reason for the channel's existence, becomes secondary. That's a great way to alienate the core fans of the channel. This channel is in dire need of some professional management.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Guys.....let's keep this tasteful. I've had to delete and edit WAY too many posts already. Keep the sexual remarks and descriptions to yourselves. We can have a discussion about programming, or lack therof, and keep on topic, without all the "colorful" and descriptive comments.

Thanks.

Sorry, that would be me as the guilty party.

I just wish that the Golf Channel would follow the same decorum and quit using sex to sell their shows as well. Let's be real, how does a bikini photo shoot and calendar in the Big Break really promote the best interests of golf? Or using hot girls in the Big Break who have absolutely NO CHANCE of competing on the LPGA?

Do we really want to see Double D in a speedo thong?????

Hey guys you might be forgetting one thing, it is TV and like all other TV shows you can pick and choose what you want to watch, don't like the show change channels or just hit the POWER button and turn it off and go PLAY! They are going to put out a LOT of junk but they are the best at putting on golf. JMO

Have a great day and a better one if you are playing today!

Frankie

Hey guys you might be forgetting one thing, it is TV and like all other TV shows you can pick and choose what you want to watch, don't like the show change channels or just hit the POWER button and turn it off and go PLAY! They are going to put out a LOT of junk but they are the best at putting on golf. JMO

Frankie

You may have a good point there.

Of course, if one applied that logic to a distaste of politics here in the US, one might have to just pack it in, move out of the country, and go somewhere else.

No, on second thought, I believe one should exercise one's right to think, debate, and challenge issues like the crap that's being shown on the GOlf Channel, rather than ignoring and running away from the issue at hand, as you've suggested.

But thanks for your opinion. It offers an alternate perspective.

Frankie

Of course, if one applied that logic to a distaste of politics here in the US, one might have to just pack it in, move out of the country, and go somewhere else.

No, on second thought, I believe one should exercise one's right to think, debate, and challenge issues like the crap that's being shown on the GOlf Channel, rather than ignoring and running away from the issue at hand, as you've suggested.

I agree with both viewpoints. The second one in particular is an important element that should never be lost in any area, be it political, golf or whatnot. The one reason the "change the channel/turn off the TV" argument carries alot of weight is the fact that is the only thing TGC will listen to. The fact we are talking about these programs is something TGC is loving. Ignoring them is what will work best in this case. If they have no ratings, then they will make changes.

One question: I don't know how it is in the states, but in Canada, when channels apply for their license, they can bid for a "must-carry" status, which means every cable and satellite company has to put them in their basic package. This means untold revenue that can basically make a channel profitable before getting into what the ratings look like. It can lead to some ridiculous programming decisions, because, well, they're already in the black!

Is TGC maybe the beneficiary of this type of favored status in the US?

I hate the MTV business model of removing their main content and replacing it with 'reality' type programming. Does MTV even have music videos any more?

What main content do you think they've removed? There's more golf telecast on TGC than ever before.

I don't have the GC (was going to add it) so all I can go off is what the member's say here, and it sounds like they are adding more non-golfing shows.

That combined with paying for the privilege to watch infomercials seems like a waste. ->2me.

Im pretty sure not getting GC will mean more time on the course for me anyway, so its a good thing! :man_in_love:

Just the fact that you can watch the Thursday and Friday coverage of the PGA tour starting at 8:30pm is worth it to me. You get the Nationwide, European, LPGA, and PGA tour. What else is there? My Tuesday night hacker league coverage?!?!

Yep If im paying for it I rather watch hackers the fairgrounds par 3 muni duff around than MTV-ified Golf lifestyle shows. I already said I rather watch grass grow, but I don't have to pay the cable company extra to do that.

Doubtful. Now they show the first two days of the PGA event, the European Tour, the Senior event, the Nationwide and maybe the LPGA depending on the week.

In the old days 7 or 8 years ago, they still had the European Tour, Nationwide and occasional Senior/LPGA event. But they used to televise every Canadian Tour event, the Challenge Tour, the Asian Tour, the Australian Tour, the Sunshine Tour, the EuroPro tour, European Senior Tour, Ladies European Tour etc. Outside of Academy Live which was an hour per day, Golf Central, and Golf Talk Live with Peter Kessler, if you turned on TGC back then you were going to see tournament golf.

It all started to change when they ditched Peter Kessler. Soon after that, they did that show with Dean Reinmuth, where he was supposed to help some bad golfer break 90 after just a few lessons, and then they moved to more and more reality shows instead of the coverage of the various tours they used to show.

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

The infomercials are killing me. Too many and on too long. They need to come up with some other ideas than the infomercials. I am sorry but there has to be a better show to place for 30 mins than the hammer commercial or the latest BJ wedge.

I understand what you mean. But that type of thinking has brought us The Approach, The Turn, and The Grey Goose 19th Hole. Low-cost programming with absolutely awful production values.

Rather than that trash, I'd rather see the old (and even older) Shell's Wonderful World Of Golf reruns, replays of recent championships, Playing Lessons reruns, and Natalie Gulbis Show reruns. The Approach is the worst thing they air; it's hideous TV that makes the Hammer infomercial seem Emmy-worthy.

I mainly lurk on these boards -- to my great enjoyment and benefit, I might add -- but I have got to get something off my chest.

I love, love, love the Golf Channel. Because they show lots of golf, and I am ALWAYS ready to watch some golf. I watch almost no other TV; if I could get a special cable package that consisted of the GC and the BBC America newscast (well, and also all the network golf coverage, of course) I would do so.

WHAT IS THIS "HIGHWAY 18"? I've half-ignored all the commercials for it, but I just paid attention to one, and either I am suffering from some sort of cognitive impairment or it seems almost unintelligibly stupid. Is it some sort of race? Do the contestants have to follow clues to find the courses? What do they do when they find them? WHY? WHO CARES??!!

Show the Japanese tour. Show the Canadian tour. Show the world junior championships. Show the Liechtenstein girls junior publinks. Show the Mongolian super-senior hermaphrodite matchplay. SHOW SOME #$$@$%&*&-ING GOLF INSTEAD OF THIS POINTLESS BULLSH!T!!!!!!

What's next, "Big Break -- Girls Gone Wild", hosted by Joe Francis and a topless Stephanie Sparks? If you want to look at hot women scantily clad -- nothing that I would fault anyone for, by the way :man_in_love: -- they are but a mouse click away by the millions. Whatever happened to Golf Channel Academy? Why do those two Titleist Performance Center guys get relegated to the wee hours?

Maybe it's just me . . .

AMEN Brother......

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

Totally agree, TGC is garabge. If they just showed golf and showed some of the half way decent programming they have come up with, it might be OK. What happened to What's in the Bag? It is on about once every other month and it is just a 30 minute infomercial for some company. Then they show it 15 times a day for 2 weeks.

I wish they would turn it over to me. I would show golf, 1 golf news show (Sportscenter type show), WITB, Playing Lessons and stuff along those lines. There are so many topics you could cover about golf and they don't bother to do any of it. I really wish somebody else would start another golf channel so TGC would either step it up or go away.

Just saw the preview for Highway 18 and it reminds me of The Amazing Race with a few golf shots thrown in there.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

The reasons they run the reality shows are simple - advertising and product placement. Everything on the Big Break is sponsored by some company or another, which is funny because the prizes for the winner aren't really that great (besides the car). They ran that stupid Myrtle Beach show that was nothing more than a glorified commercial, and it looks like Higway 18 will be more of the same. It's business as usual for TGC - they have run off or lost the hosts and personalities who actually had something to offer (SVP, Jennifer Mills, even Kessler though I thought he was arrogant) and force third-tier talents like Tilghman and Inga Hammond on the viewer, most likely to save a dollar.

It seems like it's all an attempt to skew the viewership demographic younger with contrived shows (the ones mnetioned previously, The Approach, The Turn, etc.) to appeal to advertisers. Meanwhile, the actual golf, the reason for the channel's existence, becomes secondary. That's a great way to alienate the core fans of the channel. This channel is in dire need of some professional management.

That's dead on correct. And if I may add, TGC is too stupid to realize that going down this road will only lead to mediocrity which ultimately means less profits. You can only push the reality show agenda so far before you start competing with the other networks and their reality shows. Does anyone really think poorly programmed golf reality shows can compete?

Talk about being unclear on the concept. The game of golf is having growth issues, the game only grows when people play, and in turn the OEMs only sell more when people play. If you start focusing on your TV programming on how not to play, on games that we would never play (ever ask your friends to meet you at the course for some elimination challenges?), and other ways that totally turn off golfers, then all the advertising in the world is not going to help. TGC is ripping the guts right out of golf. In their effort to reach an even lower common denominator than beer guzzling weekend hackers, they do not even realize how they are slowly bleeding to death.

TGC thinks because they are the only game in town they are properly differentiated in the marketplace, they couldn't be more wrong.

I was thinking about adding the Golf channel, because I hate missing Thursday and Friday coverage, and Id like to see more golf from around the world.

After reading this thread I won't bother now.

I would rather watch grass grow than a reality show or game show themed around golf.

One potential subscription lost.

Apparently MTV doesn't have videos any more, I was channel surfing the other day and stopped when "Any Given Sunday" with Al Pacino and Cameron Diaz was playing. I hit the guide and saw I stopped on MTV, go figure! :man_in_love:

What the GC should also show is Manufactor soon to be released equipment.

Woods on Monday

Irons Tuesday

Wedges Wednesday

Putters Thursday

Bags and other golf junk on Friday!

Get rid of the Grey Goose 19th Tee or whatever that boring

show is called.

But as mentioned more lessons from the pro.

Not to get off topic but how bout a clubmakers workshop kinda like this old house except with building/repairing clubs etc. I would much rather watch this than the approach

I have a feeling that TGC is trying way to hard to get ratings and trying to get non golfers to buy into this reality type bs and watch TGC.

Whats next "Putt for Love" with a pga tour pro.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Woods on Monday

Irons Tuesday

Wedges Wednesday

Putters Thursday

show is called.

Not to get off topic but how bout a clubmakers workshop kinda like this old house except with building/repairing clubs etc. I would much rather watch this than the approach

I have a feeling that TGC is trying way to hard to get ratings and trying to get non golfers to buy into this reality type bs and watch TGC.

Whats next "Putt for Love" with a pga tour pro.

that is funny.......... i'd watch it though

Whats sad is TGC has SO much potential. There are so many possibilities for great shows, but they just swing and miss with these shows.

Golf with style - Golf with what? This show is a just a tourism guide.

Big Break- Get rid of the goofy challenges and play golf.

Highway 18 - no.

Get back to Golf. Instuction, equipment, classic tournaments. There is just so much more they could do, which leads me to think there is a lack of $$$

I don't particularly like reality shows but i watch big break and might watch highway 18 if nothing else is on another channel. GC has to fill monday to wed with something and personally i have no interest in the minor tours. instructional shows are ok but they can get a little repetitive and are not all that useful, i prefer to get instruction outside from someone who's seen me swing a golf club. The occasional reality show is a little light relief I'm assuming they won't be yelling at each other and losing all self respect. I also don't agree with the comparison to MTV. i don't think the average viewer of the golf channel wants it to be overrun by dumbed down programming and i don't think that reality show fans will ever be interested in the golf channel as long as there is even the remotest element of golf in it (i use my wife as my barometer) if nobody watches highway 18 there won't be another season, if people do then there will, it's as simple as that.

Woods on Monday

Irons Tuesday

Wedges Wednesday

Putters Thursday

show is called.

They used to have a show like that at one point maybe 6 years ago. It didn't run for very long, and it didn't run in a normal time slot, probably because it was pretty terrible and got cancelled after a few months.

My VOTE on TV is to change channels, my VOTE on politics is in the booth, also "bankergolfer" have you ever called in to a network to voice your opinion? Probably not, oh and this is a golf forum not political just in case you didn't notice in your TOWER. And I never suggested to ignore or run away from anything, I simply said to turn it off or change channels and that does impact what they put on.....

Frankie