2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway X Forged II irons

JGalls

Has anyone had the opportunity to hit these yet? Or better yet to compare them to the original X-forged irons.

Side by side pictures would be fantastic as well :drinks:

Release date?

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will be getting the chance to hit all the new callaway gear at there 09 product launch tonight. they are releasing the first look to golf stores in australia. also had the chance to hit the newest burner in taylormades line up, sensational is all i can say they go a mile think someone has already posted pics, also taylormade man said last night that in january next year they are tryin to get into the ultra premium market of putters. Kia ma design is the fully milled putter that sergio is using, any way cant wait to hit all the new gear tonight willl let u know how it goes. And Jgalls i will have a release date for u later toomoorow morning

I like the X Forged better than the X-22 in terms of feel and look. They have a slightly thinner topline and a slightly softer feel. Now I would buy the 22's because I need a little more help, but I like the more solid feel of the Forged.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I am on callaway staff and i must say the new drivers are fantastic. FT-9 is way longer than the FT-5 and even sounds better. It does not have that corky sound. I am personally going to be going with the new x-forged. The new diablo driver is even a great driver. My rep said that alot of tour players will be playing it next year on tour. All the new Callaway products this coming up year will be great additions for Callaway

One word SENSATIONAL hit all the new product last night and the new tour ball that ernie phil and the rest are using the "i dot". x22 tours are sensational drivers are longer and have more of a ting sound and the fairways are great. Callaway has a release plan for november 15 we were told, :fool: but the irons drivers and balls will change golf. The irons are alot lighter as well with the rifle 6.0 shafts but all up the world i believe will be impressed.

I have hit all the new products and the X forged II is fantastic. I believe the Diablo will also be a huge success.

SIM 10.5* Diamana D+ 60            Vapor TW Diamana S+60
SIM 15* Diamana D+70                Oven Vapor Speed 3 wood Diamana S+70
SIM 19* Diamana D+70                Oven Vapor Speed 5 wood Diamana S+70
SIM Max 19* DI-85                         Vapor Speed 3H Diamana Blueboard
P7TW 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI        Vapor Pro 4-PW Dynamic Gold
MG2 TW 56 &60*                            Engage 54* TS,60* DS
TP Juno                                            Origin B1-01 Counterflex
TP5                                                    RZN Tour Platinum

As always everyone has a different opinion. The X-22 Tours looked bad at address and felt worse.

The 2009 X-Forged have a cavity treatment that is an absolute mess to look at, but the feel is the softest of any forging Callaway has done to date. They look good at address

The FT-iQ looks odd, sounds odd, and doesn't perform. A definite step backwards.

The FT-9 on the other hand looks good, sounds good, and is one of the better performers Callaway has produced in quite some time..

Sandy, I've had the sense from your posts that you really aren't liking the new Callaway product..... which is fine, it's good to get a mix of opinion. When you say the FT-9 looks/sounds good would you say there is a difference in performance or sound between the FT-9 and the FT9 Imix?

I never knew there was going to be a new ball already. I Dot? I didn't think they even got a full year out of the Iseries. Ix was a heckuva ball IMHO.

Sandy, I've had the sense from your posts that you really aren't liking the new Callaway product..... which is fine, it's good to get a mix of opinion. When you say the FT-9 looks/sounds good would you say there is a difference in performance or sound between the FT-9 and the FT9 Imix?

I never knew there was going to be a new ball already. I Dot? I didn't think they even got a full year out of the Iseries. Ix was a heckuva ball IMHO.

I said I liked the 2009 X-Forged---softest feeling forging Callaway has produced to date. I also said I liked the FT-9 from the aspect of it looked good and sounded good. So how that is interpreted as not liking the new Callaway product I guess I am at a loss. I guess you have to drool over the entire line up to "like it"

Since the Biggest Big Bertha I can't recall Callaway ever producing a driver that would be considered longer than the other offerings available at the time. The new Ping Rapture is longer, the new Cleveland is longer, The Cobra L5V X is much longer, the new Taylor Made Burner is longer. The Titleist offerings are pretty comparable to the new Callaway stuff. Callaway has always tried to optimize shot shape and trajectory and put a premium on accuracy. Probably the longest driver they had last year was the Hyper X but they didn't dare promote that with all the money they had in the other models... Our rep. had both the glued and i-Mix heads in both the FT-iQ and the FT-9 but something was wrong with the threads on the FT-9 i-Mix so the shaft kept rattling so no real comparison could be made.

Sorry Sandy, don't take it the wrong way. I'm simply recalling your posts on the cally stuff and didn't think it sounder like you were really smitten with it.

The Callaway rep. had all the new equipment with him today. The FT-9 was the best looking and performing of the drivers he had. The FT-iQ is odd looking and a tepid performer. Neither of these drivers is up to the new Ping Rapture (or for that matter the old Ping G10), r7 Limited, or even the L5V X, or D series Titleists ... The forged irons were probably the best of the batch looking very good at address and very busy in the cavity but they felt good. The X-22 Tours are just average and the X-22s are getting hideously large.. I think he said only the FT-iQ would be available in November and all the rest next spring. IMO, not that great a line up... As a result I didn't sign up for any early evaluations for the first time in 5+ years.

Specifically 'IMO, not that great a line up...' etc, just seems like an indicator you weren't that happy with it. Sorry if I'm getting the wrong vibe here, I was just hoping for your honest opinion since you've hit all the new stuff. So if I'm getting you right here, you think the L5V might be the big winner for raw power? I'm also very curious in the comparison of the Ft-9 to the Cleveland Launcher.

Personally I'm just still not sold on mega adjustable clubs.... just not sure in the validity of anything beyond shaft swapping, but that's just me.

Sorry Sandy, don't take it the wrong way. I'm simply recalling your posts on the cally stuff and didn't think it sounder like you were really smitten with it.

The Callaway rep. had all the new equipment with him today. The FT-9 was the best looking and performing of the drivers he had. The FT-iQ is odd looking and a tepid performer. Neither of these drivers is up to the new Ping Rapture (or for that matter the old Ping G10), r7 Limited, or even the L5V X, or D series Titleists ... The forged irons were probably the best of the batch looking very good at address and very busy in the cavity but they felt good. The X-22 Tours are just average and the X-22s are getting hideously large.. I think he said only the FT-iQ would be available in November and all the rest next spring. IMO, not that great a line up... As a result I didn't sign up for any early evaluations for the first time in 5+ years.

Specifically 'IMO, not that great a line up...' etc, just seems like an indicator you weren't that happy with it. Sorry if I'm getting the wrong vibe here, I was just hoping for your honest opinion since you've hit all the new stuff. So if I'm getting you right here, you think the L5V might be the big winner for raw power? I'm also very curious in the comparison of the Ft-9 to the Cleveland Launcher.

Personally I'm just still not sold on mega adjustable clubs.... just not sure in the validity of anything beyond shaft swapping, but that's just me.

The Cobra L5V X is probably the most impressive of all the new drivers as far as distance. The noise is still a little irritating. I wasn't smitten by the L4V but this driver is pretty impressive. I agree the adjustable drivers (weights, shafts etc.) haven't done a thing for me. I think Cobra has the right idea. Two adjustments period for each shaft. The 8.5 is the first one I can actually tell a difference in the face angle. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the others that are very closed. But the 8.5 starts out 1 degree open which can almost translate to a 7.5 degree (using of course Cobra's 1.5 degree lower marking than the loft actually is). It tends to be straight with a very slight fade in the X shaft. When moved to 0 it definitely takes the right side of the fairway out of it. The Nike adjustable drivers, while interesting have too much going on to really assess what changes are impacting what. So far the Cobra has the early winner on their hands. I also hit a new Adams a4 Tech the other day and all it is is a remarked 9015D which is a nice driver but nothing special (The 9016D in lower lofts was darn impressive, but the 9015D in 8.5 wasn't). It is hard to imagine that the same group is designing the Titleist drivers and the new Cobra driver(s) because the Cobra is more impressive by a bunch... The Titleist drivers look more traditional but they lack the distance the L5V X has. I can't speak about the L5V F or M as I only hit the X model..

I got a chance to hit the 6 iron of the 2009 X forged and came away very impressed. Felt softer than my current X forged irons and the sole grind worked well through the turf. While I like the look of the cavity more on the 2007 model, I think these new changes enhance the irons over my current gamers. I hate to have to wait to next year to bag them.

The demo 6 irons I hit for the new X forged and the X-22 Tour irons both had the Project X Flighted shaft. I thought the softer feel and sole grind of the new X forged improved them over my current X forged gamers. While I like the looks of the cavity in my gamers, I plan on ordering the new irons. I wish I did not have to wait until 2009 for them.

it's a player's cavity back

Players or Hack cavity back=thicker top line than a muscle back. Never have seen a players or hack cavity back iron that has a "thin" top line. Others hide it better than some by back grinding the top line at an angle so it doesn't look as thick but it still is.. Just a feature of perimeter weighting...

Sandy,

Have you had a chance to give the new Nike Dymo drivers a true test? How are they compared to Sumo Square Tour? How are they compared to all the new drivers coming out? I'm leaning towards the Dymo or Rapture V2 to replace/add to my Sumo Square Tour unless the L5V is just that long.

Thanks for any insight. Your observations have always been pretty accurate.

Sandy,

Have you had a chance to give the new Nike Dymo drivers a true test? How are they compared to Sumo Square Tour? How are they compared to all the new drivers coming out? I'm leaning towards the Dymo or Rapture V2 to replace/add to my Sumo Square Tour unless the L5V is just that long.

I really didn't get a chance to properly evaluate Nike's new drivers. When the rep. brought them by it was raining and 45 degrees with wind blowing like crazy. Also the adjustment feature was some pre prototype mess and didn't seem to represent production which he said would be in a couple of weeks. Maybe then I will try them again.

Right now the L5V X is a clear winner for me in terms of useful adjustments and distance. Next would be a tie between the new Launcher and the V2 (although a tour low loft G10 is still longer).. Next would be the new Burner. Then the Titleist, Adams, Callaway 2009 offerings are pretty much in the big group of nice but not for me as far as distance is concerned (The Titleist D3 might be a little better than the group as a whole). This is based on further time with all these clubs since my last post. Right now the Cobra (which isn't attractive to look at) is in a class by itself.

Sandy,

I really didn't get a chance to properly evaluate Nike's new drivers. When the rep. brought them by it was raining and 45 degrees with wind blowing like crazy. Also the adjustment feature was some pre prototype mess and didn't seem to represent production which he said would be in a couple of weeks. Maybe then I will try them again.

Right now the L5V X is a clear winner for me in terms of useful adjustments and distance. Next would be a tie between the new Launcher and the V2 (although a tour low loft G10 is still longer).. Next would be the new Burner. Then the Titleist, Adams, Callaway 2009 offerings are pretty much in the big group of nice but not for me as far as distance is concerned (The Titleist D3 might be a little better than the group as a whole). This is based on further time with all these clubs since my last post. Right now the Cobra (which isn't attractive to look at) is in a class by itself.

shoot! saw a new post to this thread i am following on new callys and it ends up being on nike and cobra drivers??

cannot wait until.more people have actually tried them...since snow will be here within a mth...will rely on you guys here for more opinions....geez why can't i trade sales job here for warmer settings....sigh..