2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he mentally tough enough? When he was playing his best, maybe only Tiger was tougher. His win at the Players was awesome, and in brutal conditions. Stepping up on a tee box knowing you need eagle to win and to shoot 59 is a daunting task, but he did it. But today? I think he realizes that golf isn't the end all that it used to be and this will help him over the final two rounds. The wet conditions help him because the soft fairways will catch slightly loose tee shots and he already hits the ball a mile. I think his second round performance shows his toughness. All of that being said, Duval's problem hasn't been getting on the leaderboard this year (Valero, Memorial), it has been staying there. I'm rooting hard for him and I know the gallery is too. If he can some how win, it will be the story of the year in golf.

He is starting in the right place this year and that is tee'ing it up on Saturday making cuts after that the rest will fall into place you climb a mountian one step at a time.

If he continues to play weekends the guy will win he looked like he was going to fold like a lawn chair but turned it around.

That is not an easy thing to do in the US Open. If he wins it maybe the best turn around ever as a Pro golfer and he may prove many of the so called experts wrong.

Good luck double D. He has always been polite and truthful what more do you want out of guy.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Duval on NBC:

I'm comfortable with how I'm playing, with how I'm swinging...

I've been working quite hard and have said I didn't feel like my results were at all reflective of how I'm actually playing...

I feel like I'm swinging the golf club better than I did ten years ago and hitting the golf ball better than I did ten years ago...

I'm more knowledgeable about my golf swing and what makes it work whereas in the past I just took it for granted that I just grabbed a club and swing it and it went pretty straight and pretty far...

Confidence is the most important part [of my progress] even though I felt comfortable with what I was doing I didn't have any confidence to take it with me...

I felt like after I left the west coast and had not gotten any results out of it that maybe I just need to focus on gaining confidence right now instead of shooting 68 decent scores and that's what I've been focusing on the last few months.

Duval lost his #1 ranking in August 1999.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Seems he is hitting it pretty good, if his ball striking is as good as ever then it seems his problem is putting. in his prime he was a great ball striker and a very good putter. He seemed to make those tricky 4-6 footers as well as anyone. As I am watching the telecast he just missed a 4 footer. DD never was a great short game artist like Tiger, very average wedge and bunker player. it doesnt seem this part of his game has gotten any better. For success he needs to do two things. 1. Make putts, 2. believe in himself. We shall see...........

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I believe having to qualify for the US Open has inspired his confidence. It is the only positive result for him professionally in quite some time. If he doesn't win I just hope he finishes high enough to get a good chunk of change toward retaining his card for next year.

+1. I'm hoping that in the first place he gets an automatic invite to next year's tournament, and that should result in a paycheck that is large enough to make a big jump on the money list. I would love to see him win this week, but most importantly be invited next year and secure a Top 125 spot. Get next year's card taken care of.

I just frightened the cat when Duval holed that last putt on 16...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Thankfully Thomas has been cleared off now.

With the amount of yelling at the screen in our house, I reckon he'd have been drowned out anyway.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Thankfully Thomas has been cleared off now.

With the amount of yelling at the screen in our house, I reckon he'd have been drowned out anyway.

Happy days.

Duval could've done with another yard. Hindsight's a bargain but his ball on the lip of the bunker and the one behind the tree a few holes back..............

I think a guy like Duval is a prime example of how deep golf is today vs. Jack's era. Sure, David had his time (and hopefully another), but he is 882nd in the world and contending for a major.

I disagree with this. How many of the guys near his ranking have won a major championship, been ranked #1 in the world, and had the injury problems he has had?

He is a very good player who is getting back his game. I doubt 881 or 883 have anywhere near the kind of game Duval has. If anything, Duval's plunge is part of what has made it easy for Woods to pile up so many majors. Duval was the best chance to play Trevino to Woods...

Saying this is akin to saying Duval is getting seriously lucky to play this well. No, he has always had it in him.

I think a guy like Duval is a prime example of how deep golf is today vs. Jack's era. Sure, David had his time (and hopefully another), but he is 882nd in the world and contending for a major.

I disagree with this. How many of the guys near his ranking have won a major championship, been ranked #1 in the world, and had the injury problems he has had?

He is a very good player who is getting back his game. I doubt 881 or 883 have anywhere near the kind of game Duval has. If anything, Duval's plunge is part of what has made it easy for Woods to pile up so many majors. Duval was the best chance to play Trevino to Woods...

Saying this is akin to saying Duval is getting seriously lucky to play this well. No, he has always had it in him.

And that proves my point. You're right, those other 880 range guys don't have Duvals game, but he IS still ranked that low, and for a reason. Also, there are so many non-household names, from ALL around the world, that come in and contend in every tournament, and often-times win. Those are no accidents either.

And that proves my point. You're right, those other 880 range guys don't have Duvals game, but he IS still ranked that low, and for a reason. Also, there are so many non-household names, from ALL around the world, that come in and contend in every tournament, and often-times win. Those are no accidents either.

The distinction is that Duval has not played well enough to be ranked higher than that. Those other guys are just not good enough to get much higher. Playing well for them is being ranked in the 500s. Playing well for Duval is contending in major championships.

Guys have come from nowhere to contend all along. Nobody figured Francis Ouimet for much. Duval's play does not suggest any kind of depth that was non-existent in years gone by. It suggests a former #1 player in the world has found his game. That has nothing to do with how good or bad the high triple digit ranked players are.

Hopefully his T-2 means that he has earned enough money to hold his card for next year. His perseverance throughout the tournament is the same that he's displayed while trying to get things back in line. It was also wonderful that he smiled in the interview today and this weekend...looks like he's starting to have fun again.