909D shaft options

zenchili

upset that the blue board in the 909d is not the real one...
I've been searching for a driver and now I'm concentrating on figuring out which shaft I want to go with. I hit the Rapture v2 with the Diamana Blue board (the "real" version) and I loved it. I planned on hitting the 909d but it has the Titleist Diamana Blue board. I checked the specs and they are quite different. The titleist one has higher torque and a different weight. I was dissapointed by that. And there is an upcharge to get the "real" blue board installed.

I loved the blue board in the rapture for a few reasons, perfect launch angle, and the right amount of spin. With a smooth swing, it launched at 13* and carried to 270-280 (with a 98 ss), and straight as an arrow. That experience really got me interested in the different shafts. I had never really paid attention to it before, even though I have heard so often what a difference it makes.

Can anyone recommend an Ozik that i might like as well? I was reading about them and I'm interested in how they perform. I'm sure it'll be an upcharge to get one of those two, but now I've decided to really take my time in choosing my next driver and shaft combo, to make sure that I get the best combination for my swing. If it means spending a few extra $$ to get the best setup for me, then so be it, I'm willing to get it right, rather than getting a so-so driver.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the stock shaft and it sures feel real to me ... long and straight doesn't suck!

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

The more complete answer is that with the 909 series of drivers, the weight plug in the back is tuned to the shaft both for balance, feel and sound, so before you just have any rookie do a shaft swap for you, I'd do a little homework. Maybe even give Titleist a call to make sure of compatability. Nothing like spending $399 + $150 to get a worthless driver.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

if it carried 280 with a 98ss, then buy it.

I was thinking the same thing. But, that was on the launch monitor, and I haven't hit the club on the course or an outdoor range. I live in CT so the weather's a problem right now....Thing is I don't want to rush into the decision. I've done that with my last two drivers and have regretted it. I'm willing to spend the money to get a really well fit driver. In the end i might end up going with the Rapture v2 with the blueboard, but I want to take the journey...You know...

Just be aware that if you get the upgrade, Titleist will take a Diamana with a 4" tip that was made for their bore thru heads and they say they tip them 1" and then install them to the correct depth. They said they will do this until they run out of them and then they will use the real aftermarket shaft from Mitsubishi with the 3" tip. They claim they will play the same. I haven't been able to hit my 909 D3 with 73 stiff Blueboard yet. They used the 4"tip shaft tipped 1" in mine. I'll just have to wait and see. Oh, you still pay the $150 upcharge.

Just be aware that if you get the upgrade, Titleist will take a Diamana with a 4" tip that was made for their bore thru heads and they say they tip them 1" and then install them to the correct depth. They said they will do this until they run out of them and then they will use the real aftermarket shaft from Mitsubishi with the 3" tip. They claim they will play the same. I haven't been able to hit my 909 D3 with 73 stiff Blueboard yet. They used the 4"tip shaft tipped 1" in mine. I'll just have to wait and see. Oh, you still pay the $150 upcharge.

Interesting... I think I will just wait and see. Hell, I might wait til spring to the get the new driver since I won't really get to play until March anyway, unless I take a buddy trip, and even then, I'm not in a rush to get the new driver. Where did you hear that from, that they'll use their shafts until they run out of them, and then switch to the real aftermarket shaft? Doesn't sound like you get anything for the $150.

Called Titleist directly. The Mitsubishi Diamana aftermarket shaft with the 3" tip is marked with a x5ct I believe, and the Mitsubishi shaft for bore thru clubs was marked with 4"gt or something like that. It isn't a shaft that says "made for Titleist" though. Thats totally different. The Titleist rep told me that Mitsubishi told them that the 4" shaft tipped 1" will play the same as the 3" shaft provided they are inserted the same depth. She also said when they run out of the 4" tip shafts they will move to the 3" tip. They are trying to eliminate shafts they used for their bore thru drivers.

The only thing that the g4t means is that is an OEM only shaft. It is no different than the x5ct other than it has a 4" parallel shaft versus the 3" parallel tip. All the OEMs were and probably still are using the g4t version tipped if non-bore thru head design. Nike, Ping, and TM use the same. Again, all the g4t was just an OEM only shaft and not sold retail. I have played the g4t in both a Titleist bore thru and a Nike and could not tell the difference. Titleist is just using up what g4t stock they have. I would have no problem ordering a 909 with the g4t shaft in it.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

One thing that people need to really consider is that Titleist (and many if not all other OEM's) go through tons of testing to determine which shaft(s) work best for MOST players.

So, the starting point for MOST should be a stock offering that plays more in line with a particular player's characteristics.

I think we Wrxers make this stuff a lot more difficult than it is.

And the OP is now asking about Ozik shafts? Talk about an investment that may be a costly mistake.

Get fitted. If the pro fitting you has some suggestions, and you trust the pro viewing your swing (and hopefully using concrete numbers from a launch monitor), go with it.

Otherwise, if you are getting a total distance of 270 with a 98 ss, that shaft/head combo sounds like a GREAT place to start.

My 909D2 came with the "made for titleist" blueboard, i first replaced it with a g4"t bluboard tipped 1 inch... both played very soft and if i tried to go after one... no good..so i put in a REAL bluboard, g or x5ct or whatever and there is no comparison .. the REAL blueboard is definitly the REAL deal...sorry if i flattened some tires....

does anyone else think the oem's and shaft companies are being slightly unethical with all these "made for" shafts. They are basically making an entirely different, and in the blueboards case, inferior shaft and marking it with the same label as their 300 dollar shafts that the pros use. Yes is might say "made for titleist" other than people from this forum, I think that most golfers think they're getting the real deal.

I was actually disgusted when I hit the titleist and ping stock BBs. Total Garbage!

does anyone else think the oem's and shaft companies are being slightly unethical with all these "made for" shafts. They are basically making an entirely different, and in the blueboards case, inferior shaft and marking it with the same label as their 300 dollar shafts that the pros use. Yes is might say "made for titleist" other than people from this forum, I think that most golfers think they're getting the real deal.

I was actually disgusted when I hit the titleist and ping stock BBs. Total Garbage!

The blue board in the Rapture V2 I played was the real blue board. It wasn't a made for Ping blue board. I also checked the website and Ping says they are using the actual after market shafts. I thought the performance of it was awesome. I'm not too sure about hitting the titleist one for the reasons you mentioned above. BTW I do think they are being unethical. They have every right to do this, as it is their products, but I don't think it does them any real good, especially any long term good. They may get a few more clubs sold, but as people find out they didn't get the real deal, they might get pissed. I know I would be.

Thats just it, I didn't order a 73s blueboard g4"t, In the Titleist book and on the website, it has the upgrade to a blueboard 73s,in the picture of the shaft, the blueboard x5ct, which is specifically designed for a blind bore head. I had a g4"t in a 905r and it was fine, but then again it was designed for bore thru heads. Now maybe the 4" parallel tip will play the same if tipped "exactly" 1". But how will you know it has even been tipped at all unless you pull the head? I guess my issue is, if you pay $150 for an upgrade, you want what the shaft that was advertised.

Somebody that knows shafts correct me if I am wrong here, but I was under the impression that there is 3 versions of the real aftermarket BB.

g4"t - which everybody agrees is the 4 inch tip

x5ct - which everybody agrees is the 3 inch tip

g35"t - which is the standard on the new PING Rapture V2, which is a 3.5 inch tip (but nobody knows if they tip a .5 inch.

So be careful, if you like the BB in the Rapture V2 and then go spend 300 bucks to get the x5ct, it might play different.

On a different note, does anybody know how far the tip goes in on the new 909 series drivers? If I put a pulled shaft next too a 909 and level the grips exactly, how far down from the ferrel should the shaft go so that I know it will be the same length as the stock one?

Yes, but the 909 head is a .335" bore

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

Somebody that knows shafts correct me if I am wrong here, but I was under the impression that there is 3 versions of the real aftermarket BB.

g4"t - which everybody agrees is the 4 inch tip

x5ct - which everybody agrees is the 3 inch tip

g35"t - which is the standard on the new PING Rapture V2, which is a 3.5 inch tip (but nobody knows if they tip a .5 inch.

So be careful, if you like the BB in the Rapture V2 and then go spend 300 bucks to get the x5ct, it might play different.

On a different note, does anybody know how far the tip goes in on the new 909 series drivers? If I put a pulled shaft next too a 909 and level the grips exactly, how far down from the ferrel should the shaft go so that I know it will be the same length as the stock one?

Nope good guess haha, it means .350 tip and 4" parallel section.

My 909D2 came with the "made for titleist" blueboard, i first replaced it with a g4"t bluboard tipped 1 inch... both played very soft and if i tried to go after one... no good..so i put in a REAL bluboard, g or x5ct or whatever and there is no comparison .. the REAL blueboard is definitly the REAL deal...sorry if i flattened some tires....

Calling bull on this one. There is NO DIFFERENCE between x5ct's and g4"t's other than the PTS length. a g4t tipped 1" is exactly the same as an x5ct.

Calling bull on this one. There is NO DIFFERENCE between x5ct's and g4"t's other than the PTS length. a g4t tipped 1" is exactly the same as an x5ct.

Exactly...no disrespect intended but I think alot of that was in your head...but hey..as long as you feel good now...thats all that matters

Some people (myself included) dont want to waste $150 on another "real" BB when the one they have will work

I'm interested as well in replacing my 907D2 with V2 stiff shaft to the 909D2 or Dcomp. I havnt had a chance to demo these yet. With all this "speculation" about BB authenticity, then wouldnt it be a good choice to go with the voodoo shaft? Also, between these two shafts, what will play similar to my current setup? Scratch that, my current setup is no good. I get good distance but no roll because I hit the ball with a high launch. Any recomendations on what shaft will bring my flight down and give good roll without sacrificing distance? Bare with me if this has been posted before, I'm just getting back to the game after a years hiatus and forgot what was what.

Thanks!!!

I'm interested as well in replacing my 907D2 with V2 stiff shaft to the 909D2 or Dcomp. I havnt had a chance to demo these yet. With all this "speculation" about BB authenticity, then wouldnt it be a good choice to go with the voodoo shaft? Also, between these two shafts, what will play similar to my current setup? Scratch that, my current setup is no good. I get good distance but no roll because I hit the ball with a high launch. Any recomendations on what shaft will bring my flight down and give good roll without sacrificing distance? Bare with me if this has been posted before, I'm just getting back to the game after a years hiatus and forgot what was what.

Thanks!!!

MrHack,

You are definitely going to need to spend time on the demo cart to find your perfect driver. If you hit the V2 too high and spin it too much, you may need to go to something like a Diamana White Board. Other possibilities, try the D3 head to get the spin down a little more. Also, perhaps you have too high a SS for stiff shafts, give the X a try. I have had good luck fitting stronger players into the Titleist Voodoo X. The stock shaft is excellent for a lot of people when properly fit.

The new fitting system, available shortly, utilizes a replaceable shaft system. It's fun, spend some time with it!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks!!!

If you switch to the Voodoo...then you have the same problem...they offer a "real" upcharge Voodoo or a no upcharge "By Titleist" Voodoo

Honestly, everyone is different so I would go somewhere and try and get fitted. As I'm assuming your right handed, its a whole lot easier you rightys to get fitted as most places offer little products for us leftys.

Calling bull ? and no disrepect intended here either... but you really think the stock bb titleist is installing the 909's is the sames quality and specs as the "real one" ?.... you say it may be in my head but the ability to do what i want with the ball flight and the extra 15 yards i can see with my eyes !!!

good luck with your 909

Calling bull ? and no disrepect intended here either... but you really think the stock bb titleist is installing the 909's is the sames quality and specs as the "real one" ?.... you say it may be in my head but the ability to do what i want with the ball flight and the extra 15 yards i can see with my eyes !!!

The made for Titleist Diamana blueboard is not the same as the retail version of the Diamana blue board shafts. Here are the specs:

Made for Titleist BB 65s Diamana BB 63s

Weight: 65grams 63grams

Torque: 4.4 3.6

Flex Point: MID MID/HIGH

Trajectory: MID LOW/MID

Obviously you can see that the weight, torque, flex point, and trajectory are all different thus the different playing characteristics. The made for Titleist blue board is just a proprietary shaft made for Titleist by Diamana. It is in no way made to fool or convince a retail customer that they are the same shafts. It is just made to Titleist's specs to reach a broad range of players as a stock option. Yes the "Real" Diamana blueboard is available for a wholesale upcharge cost of $150. Retail after market purchase for this shaft is around $300 to have it installed. I have a close relationship with a Diamana rep and there is no difference between a g4t tipped 1" versus an x5ct in the real Diamana series as long as the insertion depth is the same for both shafts. The only difference is the one inch in the parallel tip section. All OEMs in previous years were shipped either the g4t or the g35t as the upgraded shaft and not the x5ct. Both the g4t and the g35t are both 4" parallel tips. The g4t is for .335 tip diameter, and g35t is for .350 tip diameter hosels. These two shafts are not and were not availabe to the public. The x5ct shaft was the diamana that was offered to the retail public as the aftermarket retail version and it has a 3" parallel tip and is .335 tip diameter. There was no aftermarket retail version of the x5ct in a .350 tip diameter.

I do not understand what the hang up is with Titleist doing this, because just about every OEM has done it in the past. Nike did the same thing and there was problems with that. Again, I have played the g4t as a 4" parallel tip in a Titleist bore through hosel and a g4t in a Nike standard hosel tipped 1" and there was no difference to me in the performance charateristics of the two shafts. Now, not tipping it will make it play softer at the tip, so you can only assume that all OEMs follow the tipping instructions for the g4t and tipping it one inch. The real gripe with Titlesit should be why they do not offer all the models in the diamana redboard and whiteboard series and an upgrade. Sorry about the rant, but if you want the real deal diamana then there is an upcharge to get it from Titleist. It seems that there was no complaints last year with this situation in the 907D2 series.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

• 3 weeks later...

good luck with your 909

We were talking about telling a difference between the x5ct's and the g4"t's.

I do agree with you about telling a difference between the "made for" shafts.