group wouldn't let me joing them...

The problem is that a singleton has no standing on the course. I don't have a problem with letting single players through, but I know a lot of groups who choose to ignore the single golfer.

This is the second time someone has posted this, and both are incorrect. Aside from the fact the single paid his green fee and the course let him play, the USGA *and* R & A state

"

Priority on the Course

Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the

course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a

whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round.The

term "group" includes a single player.

"

Singles have standing. I removed something a little more strenuous, but suffice it to say I despise seeing otherwise stated as though it's a fact, when it is clearly not.

(And for those who want to say the old rules, the old rules also said a single had to make way for a match....the next time I'm on a public course and come across a match will be the first.)

The key point in that "rule" is the bold part, "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee." Most, if not all, courses and their rules committees (or the GM / head pro) give priority to groups of two or more. It was be painful to play a course with singles trying to play through groups of 3 and 4 all day, especially on the weekends.

Eactly how is priority given to those groups when they send the single out? I'd buy that argument if the single wasn't sent out at all by himself(and a group cannot refuse a pair up BTW, if they are not 4 already), but if they are sending him out, check that, taking his money for him to play, they have given him the same de facto priority as everyone else.

Frankly, the only way the "committee" could determine otherwise would be to refuse to take his money and let him out. It can be painful going out as a single, in between, but no moreso than having to wait around the putting green like a little kid waiting for someone to say it's ok, you can play now with these people.

It's really simple, but I'll give you an example. A course has a full tee sheet until noon and there are a bunch of threesomes and foursomes already on the course. A single shows up and wants to play, but there are no other groups for him to join (i.e. the tee sheet is wide open after noon), so they "take his money" and send him out. In most cases they will tell the single the course is full and that it will be a long day. He obviously would play faster than a group of 3 or 4, but when he catches the groups in front, should they let him play through? Absolutely NOT!!! There's no place for him to go because the course is full of threes and fours, and allowing him to play through all these groups would be BS.

Who said he needed to be allowed to play through? But the old rules that these guys were quoting(singles have no standing) said the single has to make way "for a match" which sure as heck ain't gonna happen if I'm out there alone. There is no point in letting a single through when the course is packed, but he is not in any lesser priority position where he needs to let them through either. If the course sends him out, he's entitled to his position and not have to give it up.

Not sure where you got that he needed to be allowed to play through?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that a singleton has no standing on the course. I don't have a problem with letting single players through, but I know a lot of groups who choose to ignore the single golfer.

This is the second time someone has posted this, and both are incorrect. Aside from the fact the single paid his green fee and the course let him play, the USGA *and* R & A state

"

Priority on the Course

"

Singles have standing. I removed something a little more strenuous, but suffice it to say I despise seeing otherwise stated as though it's a fact, when it is clearly not.

(And for those who want to say the old rules, the old rules also said a single had to make way for a match....the next time I'm on a public course and come across a match will be the first.)

The key point in that "rule" is the bold part, "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee." Most, if not all, courses and their rules committees (or the GM / head pro) give priority to groups of two or more. It was be painful to play a course with singles trying to play through groups of 3 and 4 all day, especially on the weekends.

Eactly how is priority given to those groups when they send the single out? I'd buy that argument if the single wasn't sent out at all by himself(and a group cannot refuse a pair up BTW, if they are not 4 already), but if they are sending him out, check that, taking his money for him to play, they have given him the same de facto priority as everyone else.

Frankly, the only way the "committee" could determine otherwise would be to refuse to take his money and let him out. It can be painful going out as a single, in between, but no moreso than having to wait around the putting green like a little kid waiting for someone to say it's ok, you can play now with these people.

It's really simple, but I'll give you an example. A course has a full tee sheet until noon and there are a bunch of threesomes and foursomes already on the course. A single shows up and wants to play, but there are no other groups for him to join (i.e. the tee sheet is wide open after noon), so they "take his money" and send him out. In most cases they will tell the single the course is full and that it will be a long day. He obviously would play faster than a group of 3 or 4, but when he catches the groups in front, should they let him play through? Absolutely NOT!!! There's no place for him to go because the course is full of threes and fours, and allowing him to play through all these groups would be BS.

Who said he needed to be allowed to play through? But the old rules that these guys were quoting(singles have no standing) said the single has to make way "for a match" which sure as heck ain't gonna happen if I'm out there alone. There is no point in letting a single through when the course is packed, but he is not in any lesser priority position where he needs to let them through either. If the course sends him out, he's entitled to his position and not have to give it up.

The quote YOU provided states that a single has the same priority on the course as a group. In fact, it references faster groups playing through slower groups. Obviously a "group" of one (your quote states that a single player is also considered a "group") will play faster than a "group" of 3 or 4.

Slice it up however you wish, but the REALITY is that singles have very little to no priority regardless of what the R&A and USGA print.

Kevin

"

Priority on the Course

"

The quote YOU provided states that a single has the same priority on the course as a group. In fact, it references faster groups playing through slower groups. Obviously a "group" of one (your quote states that a single player is also considered a "group") will play faster than a "group" of 3 or 4.

Slice it up however you wish, but the REALITY is that singles have very little to no priority regardless of what the R&A and USGA print.

Kevin

I have seen on many occasions a group forcing a single to wait behind them even with open holes ahead. That is just wrong, I don't care what the rule is about a single having no standing, its common courtesy to let a faster group play through if you aren't keeping up, regardless of how many people are in the faster group. Be it a single or a group of five, if they are moving faster around the course, and there are open holes, its only right to let them play through.

If there are no open holes and the course is full, its a moot point how many players are in the faster group, there is simply no where to go and that is understandable.

Send 'em some air mail!!!! "Oh, I'm so sorry there fivesome...I thought you guys were out of range! Boy, I really nuked that drive though, one of my best ever. I'll try to wait till there's a little more distance between us next time I pull the big stick, but it sure would help if you'd pick up the pace a little. It's almost noon now and I have a dinner date at 7:30. Oh by the way, when you get up there to my ball just leave it, I think I'll play that one."

Please don't. It hurts getting hit. I've been hit 3 times, and no it was from other hole and twice as grounds crew. I don't play slow. :D

I go single all the time. You know, I never ask the group ahead if I can join them. If they offer, I will play. They get sick of me on their tail waiting for my shot anyway.

That said, when I went single last year, ranger told me I had to join up with the three some.

I thought this was some funny conversation between them and the ranger.

Ranger "He(me) will join you, pace is slow"

Three-some looking ticked off "but we play slow"

Ranger "what??"

Three-some "We like to take our time and play"

Ranger "well, you can take your slow butts to the parking lot and don't ever come back"

Three-some "fine, he can join"

Ranger "No, seriously, you didn't hear me. Go to the parking lot and don't ever come back"

I was on the ground laughing...

Almost all set for 2021

"

Priority on the Course

"

Kevin

Go read the posts. Two different people stated "Singles have no standing." Meaning, they shouldn't be out there. They get this from the old rules that used to state:

"A single player has no standing and should give way to a *match* of any

kind."

So basically, the first two posters were saying he shouldn't have been out there along in the first place, and were citing this old, but no longer recognized, rule to support their stance, which basically says the single has to make way(ie. let following "groups" play through). I quoted the rule as it reads now, to show that singles, do in fact, have standing, and have every right to be out there. By taking their money, and sending them out, the "committee" has decided they can play as a single.

If the course is busy, are they going to be standing around? Yep. Does it make sense for group after group to let them through? Nope, only slows down the rest of the course. The single player knows this when they go out by themselves. But never, ever, will I let the statement of a single having no standing on the golf course go unchallenged, because it is simply not true. By rule, and by fact of having paid and been sent out, he is entitled to his spot, no more no less. The faster groups have to be able to play faster in order for that to work, and if all five groups ahead of the single are in position, he won't play any faster, and just slow the course down.

I was not once saying he needed to be allowed to play through. What I was saying though was that the rules that once said singles had no standing does not exist, which these posters were referencing to say he shouldn't have been out there, is no longer the case, and quoting where the R&A and USGA both recognize single golfers as a group. My point was never the priority, but the standing. The rule clearly shows they have standing. In the old days, you only had the fact the golf course took your money to claim standing. Now the rules are also in line.

"

Priority on the Course

"

Kevin

Go read the posts. Two different people stated "Singles have no standing." Meaning, they shouldn't be out there. They get this from the old rules that used to state:

"A single player has no standing and should give way to a *match* of any

kind."

So basically, the first two posters were saying he shouldn't have been out there along in the first place, and were citing this old, but no longer recognized, rule to support their stance, which basically says the single has to make way(ie. let following "groups" play through). I quoted the rule as it reads now, to show that singles, do in fact, have standing, and have every right to be out there. By taking their money, and sending them out, the "committee" has decided they can play as a single.

If the course is busy, are they going to be standing around? Yep. Does it make sense for group after group to let them through? Nope, only slows down the rest of the course. The single player knows this when they go out by themselves. But never, ever, will I let the statement of a single having no standing on the golf course go unchallenged, because it is simply not true. By rule, and by fact of having paid and been sent out, he is entitled to his spot, no more no less. The faster groups have to be able to play faster in order for that to work, and if all five groups ahead of the single are in position, he won't play any faster, and just slow the course down.

I was not once saying he needed to be allowed to play through. What I was saying though was that the rules that once said singles had no standing does not exist, which these posters were referencing to say he shouldn't have been out there, is no longer the case, and quoting where the R&A and USGA both recognize single golfers as a group. My point was never the priority, but the standing. The rule clearly shows they have standing. In the old days, you only had the fact the golf course took your money to claim standing. Now the rules are also in line.

Just drop it. We see things differently, and nothing you or I write or quote is going to change it for either of us.

Kevin

• 6 months later...

[quote name='kyo-nax' post='1596748' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:50 AM']Please don't. It hurts getting hit. I've been hit 3 times, and no it was from other hole and twice as grounds crew. I don't play slow. :D

I go single all the time. You know, I never ask the group ahead if I can join them. If they offer, I will play. They get sick of me on their tail waiting for my shot anyway.

That said, when I went single last year, ranger told me I had to join up with the three some.
I thought this was some funny conversation between them and the ranger.
Ranger "He(me) will join you, pace is slow"
Three-some looking ticked off "but we play slow"
Ranger "what??"
Three-some "We like to take our time and play"
Ranger "well, you can take your slow butts to the parking lot and don't ever come back"
Three-some "fine, he can join"
Ranger "No, seriously, you didn't hear me. Go to the parking lot and don't ever come back"

I was on the ground laughing...[/quote]

That is too funny. So what happened? Did they pack their things and go as the ranger said to, or did you join the group and play with?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Bluefan75' post='1584357' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:35 AM'][quote name='jaskanski' post='1400947' date='Jan 2 2009, 04:19 AM']The problem is that a singleton has no standing on the course. I don't have a problem with letting single players through, but I know a lot of groups who choose to ignore the single golfer.[/quote]

"[size=3][left]Priority on the Course[/left]
[/size][size=1][left]Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the[/left]
[left]course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a[/left]
[left]whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round.The[/left]

[/size]"

[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head! Fivesomes should be letting every man, woman, and child play through. Foursomes that won't let a single play through should have their bags thrown in the pond.