2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike VR Split Cavity

NIKE Victory Red Forged Split Cavity Irons

- Split Cavity Back Design:

The split back design keeps weight behind the sweet spot of the club head for ball control while providing forgiveness.

- Versatile Sole Design:

The cambered sole allows for greater playability from varied lies to ensure precise face contact shot after shot.

- 1025 Forged Carbon Steel:

Precision forged and machined to precise tolerances for unsurpassed feel. The material of choice for accomplished players.

- CNC Milled Face:

CNC milled flat face ensures uniform ball compression for consistent ball flight.

- Victory Red Grip by Eaton Grips:

Designed for maximum grip on the top half, and fantastic feel on the bottom, these grips will give you control and power shot after shot.

Available 11.1.08

For more pics go here...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184807

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I will be first to comment on the VR split cavity irons. This would not be a complete reveiw of the set because I have only had time to demo the 6i out of the fitting cart with different shafts. I have looked over the entire set and done several side by side comparisons to other OEM offerings that would be of the same mold or type of iron.

First impression like so many others is that I did not like the looks of the irons from the early release pics. However, after seeing them in person, I would have to say that they look a lot better than the pics. They are very compact in size and have a nice thin top line at address, which is what a players cavity back should be. The sole is not too wide with too much bounce, and it is not to narrow to promote digging. They did not appear to have any more or any less offset than other OEM players cavity backs. Just a real nice looking iron at address, that exudes confidence and shot making ability from them. I know that the cavity is busy and it looks like an interior decorator designed it and it lacks that classic look, but then again you don't see this at address. What you see is a sleek, compact iron with a thin top line.

Hitting the 6 iron, again I only got to play around with the fitting cart, it was very crisp and solid. It did not feel quite as soft as say a Mizuno forging, but it was not harsh either. Being a Titleist player over the years I actually prefer the more solid or clicky feel, so the VR split cavity felt like second hand to me. You can definitely feel that the iron is more solid from the middle in because of the split cavity design, which promotes a more penetrating ball flight with less spin. Whereas most of the irons in it's class has a lower center of gravity. The VR produced a really nice ball flight mid trajectory with nice carry and it did not balloon. I also found it very easy to work the ball left, right, high, or low with. The VR performed very well for me with the DGS300 and X100 shafts. I tend to fight hitting a high ball and the PX shafts fly to high for my liking. They did not have the DGS400s in the fitting cart, but I would really like to try this shaft along with some KB Tours. If the rest of the set play like the 6 iron, then I would have no problem bagging the whole set of split cavity backs versus a mixed set with blade irons. I really want the opportunity to test the whole set before making that jump though.

So in conclusion, don't let the looks of these irons fool you, the are SOLID!! Yeah I would like them to have a more classic look like the split cavity prototypes, but again you don't see any of that at address. I would also prefer to have the whole set in satin or chrome, not two toned, but it would not stop me from buying them. Again, if they perform who really cares. All I can say is if you are in the market for a new set of forged players cavity back irons don't pass these by just because of looks. As it stands right now I am buying new set this year, and these are definitely going to be considered.

Rankings As of Now

1. AP2

2. VR split cavity

3. Titleist ZB

4. Mizuno MP52

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

These VR's are NICE irons, and the looks tend to grow on you. That said, I still like these MUCH BETTER!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

These VR's are NICE irons, and the looks tend to grow on you. That said, I still like these MUCH BETTER!

I have to disagree. Just my opinion but I like the new VR splits better. The protos wernt playable for me. I had a few sets. The finished lines were rough in the neck area and the 9 and pw were funky looking. Also the offset of the protos were a lot from memory.

The graphics and feel of the protos were excellent. That is were I stop.

The graphics and feel of the protos were excellent. That is were I stop.

I haven't played with them but I will take your word. I just like the looks better. I played Nike PC Tours all summer and the new Vr splits are so much better!

You played PC Tours Richard, can you provide a comparison?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 1 month later...

Opinions please....

I currently play MP32's 4-PW with DGSL R300 shafts and carry a 11.2 index. The MP32's are pretty banged up now black%20eye.gif and would like feedback on those who have played the following set-up:

Nike VR forged Split Cavity- 4i to 7i

Nike VR forged TW Blades Cavity- 8i to PW

Nike VR forged Wedges- 52*/10*, 56*/14* & 60*/6 (loft/bounce)

Thank You in advance. :clapping:

I hit my buddy's set of VR's. Don't sleep on these. Remind me of Titleist forged clubs. Soft feeling, sweet feedback, and very responsive. I like the moderate soles: not too much camber, not too flat, not overly wide, just right. Topline was surprisingly thin. The stock grips are pretty cool also. Kinda high tech and winn like, tough to describe, but a pleasant surprise. Shafts were standard DG S300. Longer irons easier to hit, but not game improvement easy. It's definitely a player's cavity back. Overall very nice forged club from Nike, might knock out my AP2's.

Opinions please....

I currently play MP32's 4-PW with DGSL R300 shafts and carry a 11.2 index. The MP32's are pretty banged up now black%20eye.gif and would like feedback on those who have played the following set-up:

You might like the VR Split Cavity. The overall look is different from the MP32's. Thicker topline, more sole camber. MP32's look a whole lot like blades and perform whole lot like player cb's The nikes are player cb's and look the same way. I can't comment on the blades, but i'm sure they play like most blades. I do know the VR wedges have their version of special grooves i.e. spin milled or mac daddy & they chew up balls pretty good.

Living in Oregon I get to hit a lot of Nike Stuff at my CC. I must say I think the Victory Red Splits, and Blades are the best looking clubs at address that I have seen. I am not sure what it is about them, but they just look Perfect to my eye. The feel is outstanding and the results look as good as the clubs topline is thin.

I am normally a mizzy and Srixon fan, but I can tell you without hesitation I will be playing the VR splits in a year or two after the price drops or I can score some used from a reputable source. I owuld give these my top recommendation of the year after having demoed pretty much everything out there.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE GOLF...

With that said I am having trouble deciding between the Titleist AP2 or the these Nike Victory Red TW Blades...

PLEASE HELP....

Thanks

The Titleist AP2's and Nike VR Blades are fundamentally two totally different club designs. The AP2's are cavity backs, which will be more forgiving and easier to hit and get in the air. The Nike blades are muscle backs, & will offer more feedback and the ability to work the ball more.

these clubs are amazing

i went to demo new clubs yesterday nd the clubs i was looking at were the tm tour preferred, ap2s, cally x forged, and the bridgestone j33s cavity. After demoing them all for almost 2 hours, it was between the tour preferred and the ap2s. i was leaning towards the tour preferred just cause im a tm guy. then another worker there handed me the nike victory red split cavity, i didnt even think of nike before he handed them to me. the guy said these knocked his ap2s out of the bag, so i gave them a shot. and omg these are amzing, they felt amazing, after hitting the 6 iron for about 45 mins, i couldnt put it down, my 6 iron average was 200-205, more than 5 yards further than the rest. the grips felt pretty good, nd i did actually like the look of the cavity, nd in the playing postion the head was really compact. so i ordered a set and the should be in next week. i cant wait to play with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 nd i also order some victory red wedges which will go great with the set.

• 4 weeks later...

Got Nike to email me the offset measurements, for those interested. Don't understand why they don't publish this info on their site.

2 iron 0.190"

3 iron 0.160"

4 iron 0.155"

5 iron 0.140"

6 iron 0.120"

7 iron 0.100"

8 iron 0.095"

9 iron 0.075"

PW 0.070"

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine wih X100's and I have to say I'm impressed. I don't change my irons that much (currently Titleist 704's w/X100's) and these are much softer with slightly lower ballflight. Only had one range session, but I love them. They are as forgiving IMO as the 704's. Not giving up too much distance on mishits. They feel great and I can't wait to get them out this week for a real round.

Titleist TS3, 9.5* Diamana D+ LTD X, 43.5"
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Aldila Rogue Max 75S
Srixon U65, 20*, DG AMT X100
Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW DG AMT X100
Vokey - 52.08, 56.12, 60.08
Cameron Select NPII, Titleist Pro V1X

• 4 months later...

I have tried these against the VR blades, and even the full cavities (Which I own) and to be honest I don't get along with this one.
The full cavity I understand; it's a modestly sized head with high playability, but some minor sacrifices in feel... basically.

This iron doesn't bump the VR blade in any way to me. The VR blade is superior in feeling, feedback, and sweet spot. The VR blade is so nice feeling, I honestly don't know why you would put any of these in your bag over the VR blade. Forgiveness? Who are we kidding here.... put a full cavity 3-4 iron in your bag with VR blades and you're set.

I love the VR line. I really do, but I have tried this iron over and over and I just get a sense of loss from it when going from the blade to these. It's a personal thing, but I would pop in the VR cast full cavity to make up your longer irons if you wish.

Note: I just noticed that Anthony Kim has done this in his bag. He has the older blades (non-VR) but he has swapped the long irons for VR FULL CAVITY. Why go from a blade to a full cavity? Why not put in the split back forge? I would do what AK has here....

If you're looking at these, don't discount going to the VR Blade. I think it's a much better iron. Better balance, feel, and look. Just IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

well I pulled the trigger myself and grabbed me a set of split cavities. I hit these yesterday and fell in love with them......got 3-PW, -1/4" w/ PX 5.5's in them, can't wait!

STU

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Opinions please....

I play exactly what you asked about. Only difference is I play splits 3i to 5i then the tw blades the rest. I also have the wedges. That set to me is the best set up you could ask for. Believe it or not the tw blades are actually more forgiving than the splits. They were made to Tiger's specs.(we all know all golfers including Tiger would look unmanly with splits) That statement came exactly from the Nike rep I order,and have my clubs adjusted/loft,lie,angle from. If you go to the "combo" of splits,and blades you won't go back. Hope I have answered some info for you. Last thing to add, I did put project x 5.5 flighted in the 3i to 5i. Just to help get the flight up. I use the stock dynamic for the rest.

• 4 weeks later...