Orlando or South Carolina (Hilton Head and Myrtle beach)?

Rodrigo72

Where do you recommend I play?
Hello, I´m from Argentina. Me and 3 frinds were consider flying to florida (Tampa, Naples, Orlando) or South Carolina (Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach) on August or September from Argentina to play.

Where do you recomend to play Orlando (Naples, Tampa, etc) or South Carolina (Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc)?

Wich is more expensive?

The weather?

If we take the tee times from internet it´s more cheap?

Thank´s and sorry for my english

Rodrigo

Driver GeekGofl (house of forged)
wood 4 exotics
Hybrid Titleist (nunchuck shaft)
4 to PW Epon AF 302 (KBS tour 90)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I would look at the historical averages for rainfall.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.a...cation=USSC9874 Hilton Head

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.a...cation=USFL0372 Orlando

Then I can speak for booking. I am going with 7 others (8 total) in March. We are playing Disney Palm, Disney Magnolia, and Mystic Dunes. We also have rented a house for the 3 nights 4 days. The total for the golf and house rental is $330. The house is about 3000 sq ft with 5 bedrooms double occupancy in all. Of course it also has a pool with lanai.

Now some may not agree with our course choices and you can search this forum for what courses to play in orlando but the deal is solid. We booked through Tee Times USA.

Also anyone else reading this know of a better place to book, let me know and I will give them a shot next year.

You're really talking about two distinctly different areas for golf, it will be hard for anyone to give you a definite answer without knowing more about your group. Ages, are you looking for nightlife, families coming, is it all golf, or do you want other activities, baseball, beach etc.

But here are a few highiights of both areas. For what it's worth I'm comparing Florida (Tampa Orlando) to SC (myrtle Hilton Head) although you should be aware Tampa and Orlando are about 1.5 to 2.0 hours apart depending on where your based, same for HH and Myrtle, depending on traffic.

The Florida option is better if you are bringing families and/or you want to pursure other activities. There is disney world, baseball (tampa) theme parks in both areas, Tampa is about 45 min to hour from the beach (opposite direction of Orlando). Other options in Orlando, space center is about hour or so away (again opposite of Tampa). I would say there are more off course activities by far with the Florida option.

South Carolina, Hilton Head has some BEAUTIFUL golf courses, but that for all intents and purposes is it. Unless you are into Tennis as well. There are some nice lodging options and dining options, but there is really ZERO off course activities.

Mytrle Beach is like golf on steriods, you can find whatever type of golf you want expensive 4 star courses, or cheap muni like courses. It's the land of a million buffets and seafood. It is right on the beach, so if you want a morning or late afternoon swim it's easy to golf and get that in as well. nightlife is abundant, adult nightclubs and just regular nightclubs are plenty.

both areas will be oppressively hot during August, you will be coming at the very beginning of Hurricane season, so beware of that in both areas, although Tampa and Orlando are rarely in that line.

So if you provide more demographic info about your group we might be able to give you a better idea.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Ok, first of all, thank´s for your´s answers and again sorry for my english.

Well, we are 4 friends (no family, no childrens), we have 36 to 39 years.

We go to play golf, golf, then golf, eat, more golf, golf, sleap and more golf, golf and golf.-

We don´t like to eat in the best restaurants or sleap in the best hoteles, we like to play in good golf courses nothing else.-

For you, wich is the best month (June to September for price and weather)? We can go now because i broke my leg.-

Oralndo or South Carolina? (price and weather).-

Wat do you think it´s the best deal; rent a house and play in 4 stras golf course; rent a hotel cheap (like holiday inn or Desert Inn) the same price? or if we rent the resort and play in the course of the resorts (like TPC or Sea pines or others) the price is not too expensive?

Well, thank´s for your´s answers, sorry for my english and if somewane like to play in South America i can help you.-

Rodrigo

wood 4 exotics

Rent the house for sure. I know in Orlando the housing market may be one of the worst so there are plenty of rentals available at a very good price. I think Orlando would probably be less expensive to fly into as well. For me being from Wisconsin, I would look at late September to go. That way it isn't too hot to get golf, golf, and more golf in. BTW your english is fine. Sorry about the leg.

Kmaren brings up good points. I wouldn't know about the housing rental. Being in the hospitality industry I'm always able to get comp or cheap hotel arrangements, so that usually doesn't factor in.

But I agree with the timing, if you wait until the 2nd week of September or later in either area you will miss the summer tourist crowds, US schools will be back in session. Golf rates in Myrtle should go down quite a bit there by then.

Based on what you said, I think your group would be happiest in Myrtle Beach either renting a condo for a week or looking for a deal at one of the resorts Legends/Barefoot Resort/Sea Pines are all very nice. Trust me the hotel industry is hurting right now, and bargains be had by calling and making offers or asking for a better deal than what you see advertised.

With your goal of golf/golf/golf followed by more golf :) I think it would be easier and cheaper in Myrtle than Orlando but that's just my .02.

good luck and enjoy the trip. Your english is fine. Much better than any Spanish most of us on this site could manage :)

Vokey

UCN Golf... do you think that the weather in September or October in Myrtle Beach and Hilton head is good?

Rains? hurracans? hot?

I love Palmetto Dunes, Sea Pines, Legends, Barefoot, Kiawah, TPC at Myrtle Beach, MBN King´s North, etc.

If you tell me that the weather is good we make the trip in these month.

Thank´s

wood 4 exotics

Weather in late September or October in Myrtle should be spectacular (yes there is the risk of Hurricane) but the East Coast hasn't been hit by a big storm in years that I can remember (of course now that I've said that it'll be the year) Orlando probably would be 95% chance of being Hurricane Free as it is pretty far inland. If it was me and my trip I would still go with Myrtle. The rewards far outweigh the risk. But that is just my opinion.

Sounds like you may have already been there as you named all the big boys, don't forget about Callidonia (sp) True Blue. Willbrook is a very under publiclized course that is fantastic. World Tour has replicas of several world famous holes, i.e. Amen Corner, St. Andrews..etc.

Good luck with the leg, don't rush it back you have plenty of time to get back to 100 percent.

Vokey

Check out Ocean Ridge Plantation just north of Myrtle Beach in Ocean Isle, NC. Four courses with discounts for replay and multiple play packages contact them direct or check out the Myrtle Beach Golf Gurus to book your trip.

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

This is easy Pinehurst :yes:

That is and always will be my favorite golf destination. However, I was just trying to fill him in on the two areas he asked about. Do you work at the resort?

Vokey

UNC golf...Pinehurst is better than Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head? The weather is good? For us, is the same to go to Myrtle Beach, Orlando, hilton head, or Pinehurst... do you recomended Pinhurst? It´s chepear than Myrtle Beach?

Thank´s

wood 4 exotics

I saw Pinehurst in the website. It´s amazing, but i think it´s very expensive for me . I Think that seapines, legends or Kiawah are cheaper than Pinehurst

Rod, yes the Pinehurst Resort is very expensive. However, there are great golf courses for miles in the immediate Pinehurst area. You could easily play different courses every day without repeating. For me it is hard to go there and not play the world famous No. 2. Site of two US Opens. But in order to play it you have to be staying at the resort.

You will get MORE golf for your money in Myrtle Beach, but you would get an experience at Pinehurst that you would never forget. Weather wise is not much different than Myrtle, it's only about 90 minutes or so slightly northwest of Myrtle. September or October would be wonderful time there, August will still be a bit hot.

The nightlife in Pinehurst is pretty non existent, there is one "gentlemans club" and several chain restuarants and some good local ones. When I've made my trips there it is usually March. Our group was content with 18 and some days 36, then having a good dinner and then hanging out watching sports or playing cards in the hotel.

I don't want to sway you to Pinehurst if you feel it's too expensive and there's nothing wrong with that. But the other great non resort courses you could play are Anderson Creek, Talamore, Legacy, The Pit, Little River, Bayonet are all great public courses, Pinewild is private but allows some outside play, Mid Pines and Pine Needles are right there in aquality with No. 2 but a bit less pricey, but very nice resort for less than No. 2.

Tobacco Road about 30 minutes north in Sanford, is a must play. You will either thank me or curse me afterward as it is a love it or hate it course. But far more love it han hate it.

Vokey

UNC golf...first of all, you are very kind.

I kow tha´s Pinehurst is a great resort and the history of the course N 2. But i saw that if i like to play one week there i have to pay around 2.000 dollars p/person.(including the dinner, breakfast and surchage for Nº 2).-

Now i´m "compare" the price of the resorts like Sea Pines, Kiawah and Pinhurst.

The trip´s that i think is:

A.- 3 days in Sea Pines, 3 days in Palmetto Dunes and 2 days in Kiawah.-

B.- 7 or 8 days in Pinhurst.-

c.-8 dyas in Myrtle Beach.-

I don´t know yet what kind of tip i do. But, i traing to do the best trip of golf that my "money can".-

In January i organized a tournamet of golf in Punta Del Este (uruguay) and invited to Eduardo Romero (a profesional i think that you know) and he said me that if i go to USA and he can, he give tickets for the tournamet of the champions and play with him in othr course. And you know if the profesional call to the course of to the resort all is more easy.-

Well, thank´s again and i´m traing to found the best prices.-

wood 4 exotics

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach yet, but have made golf trips to Pinehurst Resort, Orlando, Jacksonville, and the Florida Panhandle.

Here are points that I consider when making a decision on where to go...

1) How easy is the location to get to. Orlando will have direct flights from almost anywhere (thanks Disney). Myrtle Beach and Pinehurst will require you to fly into an airport 50 or so miles away and drive. Depending on your flights, you may lose a round or two of golf.

2) Quality and Quantity of Golf. I don't think any of these locations would be a bad choice. The fact is you can only play 2 rounds per day and if you have 10 days, that is only 20 rounds. The fact that Myrtle Beach has dozens and dozens of courses doesn't change the number you can play. Pick a location that you get the Quality of golf you want pay for and you can do that at all of these locations. I would also recommend that you think about playing a couple of the courses 2 times, since some of the enjoyment will be increased once you have played the course once.

3) Weather. You can't control the weather. You can avoid some of the heat and hurricanes, but even then you will just need to go and play.

4) Lodging, and Food. Sounds like lodging and food aren't high on you list, which means any location will be fine. Just set your price point and decide what you want. Our normal group of 8 has found that either a house or 3-bedroom condos are preferred, but every group can be different.

I really don't think you will be unhappy with any of these choices.

If I was to rank my preference just based on the value of golf (i.e. quality of play versus cost of play with the ease of getting there)... I would pick Orlando, but that is just me.

FYI...If money was no object and I wanted the best golf experience...Pinehurst Resort (and No 2) wins (and by quite a margin).

Best of luck,

Clark

Thank´s Clark but ONC golf tell me that in Orlando in September or Octuber it´s posible that we found Hurricane.-

Rodrigo, just to claify. If I confused you I'm sorry. Orlando is probably the least likely of all those places along with Pinehurst to be affected by Hurricane. Again as Clark said you can't control or plan for that, it's just something to be aware of. But as for Hurricane risk I would say they go from highest chance to lowest chance as follows with Orlando and Pinehurst being a very very distant 3rd or 4th. You may get a dose of afternoon Thrunder showers in Orlando, but generally they come and go within an hour then it's beautiful again.

Hilton Head

Myrtle Beach

Orlando

Pinehurst

Vokey

Somebody know´s how many miles driving Orlando to Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach? in hours?

Thank´s

From Orlando to Myrtle Beach you're looking at about 7 to 8 hours I believe, but somebody correct me if that is wrong.

Vokey

Thank´s Clark but ONC golf tell me that in Orlando in September or Octuber it´s posible that we found Hurricane.-

Rodrigo, just to claify. If I confused you I'm sorry. Orlando is probably the least likely of all those places along with Pinehurst to be affected by Hurricane. Again as Clark said you can't control or plan for that, it's just something to be aware of. But as for Hurricane risk I would say they go from highest chance to lowest chance as follows with Orlando and Pinehurst being a very very distant 3rd or 4th. You may get a dose of afternoon Thrunder showers in Orlando, but generally they come and go within an hour then it's beautiful again.

Hilton Head

Myrtle Beach

Orlando

Pinehurst

I think your list is a little off. All of Florida is more likely to be hit by a hurricane than any of the other places. I think the list would be:

1. Orlando

2. Myrtle Beach

3. Hilton Head

4. Pinehurst.

Hilton Head hasn't been hit by a hurricane since the 1800's. Of course, that means they'll probably be hit by two 'canes this season. ;)

If you look at the history, Orlando doesn't experience many hurricanes however you can get the side effects of rain and wind.

If the hurricane comes up the Florida coast, it will actually hit almost all of the locations we have been talking about. The two locations that wouldn't likely see direct hits would Orlando and Pinehurst, since this are inland. Myrtle Beach is on the coast and does stand a chance of being hit.

If you want to avoid hurricanes, you really need to look at the west coast. Somewhere like Vegas or Arizona. However the trade off it HEAT (and lots of it) and the cost. I find Arizona and Vegas to be expensive for golf.

Two other options that you may want to add are Jacksonville and Tampa. Both areas are much like Orlando with golf and cost. When our group went to Jacksonville (Amelia Island - Recommended), I did a little research and found that Jacksonville only experiences a hurricane hit every 100 years or so. This is due to the shape of Florida. The hurricane tend to hit the lower part of Flordia, bounce out to sea, then head to South Carolina.

You really can't control the weather, so I wouldn't even try.

Pick a location you are excited to play and go.

As they say in the commerical....Just do it!

Clark

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Petter Player' post='1858890' date='Aug 2 2009, 05:06 AM']Any comments on Bay Hill Resort?[/quote]

Bay Hill is expensive, but you need to stay there to be able to play the course. The place is owned by Arnold Palmer and as you would exxpect you are tretaed very well. The course is tough. You may be familiar with it from the annual PGA tour event that A.P. hosts. It is not super fancy and not my favorite place to stay in Orlando, but it is worth doing once.

As to main thrust of this thread, FL vs. SC, since Rodrigo said the point of the trip was golf, golf, eat and more golf, I would strongly suggest Myrtle Beach. I've been on dozens of golf and family trips to Orlando and MB, and as far as "bang for the buck" quality golf, MB is the best. I would go in late Spring or early Fall to assure the best weather even thoughj those are the most expensive times in MB. Still less expensive than comparabe peak season (Winter) golf in Florida. I've played more than 50 MB courses. The following are my favorites.(from North End to South End):

Rivers Edge (great value)
Tigers Eye
Leopards Chase
Oyster Bay
Grande Dunes
Tidewater
Dunes Club
Barefoot Resort (Love or Fazio courses)
Legends Moorland (great value)
Heritage
TPC
Caledonia
True Blue

If you want a few less expensive alternatives that are not quite as nice but still excellent, consider Prestwick, Willbrook, Wild Wing, Legends Heathland and Founders Club

Book it throgh Brian Noblin at the Myrtle Beach Golf Desk. he will make all the arrangements and get the best prices and lodging to meet your needs.

If I was doing the trip in the Winter, I'd go to Orlando. I've played more than 30 courses around Orlando. The following are some of my favborites that I'd play again:

Orange County National (2 courses)
Sugarloaf Mountain
Southern Dunes
Reunion (3 courses)
Disney (4 courses)
Victoria Hills
Championsgate (2 courses)
Celebration
Grand Cypress (3 courses)
Bay Hill
Mission Inn - El Campeon

Sabram, first of all thank´s.

We decided to go to Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville.
We think it´s more cheap than MB and more easy for us.(fly Argentina to Miami or Orlando). Thank´s for yours recomendations.
I can´t belive it your hospitality.
Thank´s again.-

Rodrigo.-

wood 4 exotics

• 4 months later...

Well, I'd like to offer my completely unbiased opinion wink.gif ... The choice is Orlando by a mile! biggrin.gif

Seriously, I've never been to Myrtle Beach. I have no doubt that it's a wonderful golf destination. Orlando is truly the golf mecca of North America however. Not only that, but there are a million and one other things to do besides golf as well. Restaurants, night life, shopping, you name it, we've, beg your pardon, Orlando has got it. Even if golf is the primary reason for your trip however, Orlando will more than suit your needs.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1