2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I don't even know what topic title to give this...

Wow, I don't even know how to express how I feel about the people here at golfwrx. Just wow! Thank you everyone for your kind words and offerings. As much as I would like to take some of you up on your offers for clubs, bags, etc. I just would not feel right. Thank you, Thank you for your offers though It is greatly appreciated. I have accept one act of giving in the last couple days. The A4 driver head I had mentioned in my original post. Well I thought my good friend had graciously bought it from me for the $250 I had payed for it and then the next day I found it next to the front door where the mail man usually leaves packages. I've tried to return the money but he is not having it. It doesn't shock me cuz he has always been there for me. Truly great friends are hard to come by.

As for getting another job on top of my current one, I'm working on it. Not much out there right now. I live in a very small town and it would require me to drive aways to get to anywhere that has something available. Which would also pretty much negate the money I was making for gas. I would work at the club in my hometown but they have no positions open and besides they still require you to get a membership so no free golf.

My wife caught me the other day walking out of the house with my clubs all boxed up and ready to ship. She tried to talk me out of it but she also knows how we need the money. I was actually just happy she tried to talk me out of it. She had never up to that point understood why I love this game so much, or so I thought she hadn't understood. That was kinda nice that she acknowledged that. I truly love this game. I started in high school and fell in love. I quickly got pretty decent and made my small colleges golf team. That was the best time of my life. Then my kids were born and that became the best time of my life. All I could think about was getting to take my boys to the golf course. My life has been consumed by my kids and golf ever since. I read Golf Digest and Golf World cover to cover every month and week. I can watch the same Golf Channel programming over and over again (yes even the lame infomercials). I once skipped an entire weeks worth of classes in college to watch the Masters. I have seen Tin Cup hundreds of times. Actually watched it five times in one day. I got the nickname headcase in college because it seemed like I came to practice with either a new club or a new shaft or something everyday. Then I got married and all of that stopped, LOL. But I was fine with that. Instead of buying I've always just traded my stuff for something else used. Maybe buy a new shaft here and there. I'm crazy about this game to say the least. I feel like my original post sounded like I was giving up, and I was, but after thinking about it I won't, I can't. This will just be a down season. Man am I itching to play, but I will make it. I love this game and I love it even more knowing that as my kids get older its something we can enjoy together. Again everybody, thank you for your offers and kind words.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great post, i'm also struggling financally, so i feal your pain, but i have found ways to please my golf club obsession, you have to compromise with yourself, for example:

a couple months ago i was sick and tired or using my old crappy clubs and always daydreaming about getting new ones, but i didnt have any money, so what did i do?

i decided to quit smoking! that enabled me to open a savings account, with the extra 30-40 dollars i had each week, i put it away into my new savings account, and right now i am in the process of putting together a full macgregor bag, with a new club every 2 weeks or so, i feel like i will have almost a full 14 club set of brand new awesome looking clubs hopefully by early may, and to be completely honest, i couldnt be happier about it

so don't give up

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

This is one of the best threads I have ever read... to know that total strangers would be there to help out a person in need is awesome. I think this also shows that this great game we all love also produces great values and morals in everyone that plays.

Good luck to all of you in this economic situation I hope we all make it through and put our families first.

Sorry to barge in here but maybe a nice gesture would be to sell a few of the items some are willing to give up to make a payment to the golf course for a membership. Because the person in need seems not to want to take any of these kind offers, the givers can come up with a clever way of having him pay them back.

A clever way may be something like send them an email after every tournament with all the scores of the 4 major tours. This doesn't take very long and it helps with having to go to 4 websites for scores. This may be a lame idea but anything to keep people in the game ...

Dano

I would offer to send something but I'm shipping all my golf balls to my friend in Irag.

The quality of people on this forum is extraordinary. Something almost as extraordinary is that nobody has tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes and "pretend" to be in need just to take some of the wonderful people up on their offers. This is a first class site with first class people. "Do unto others..." seems to be the norm here. Just really glad to be a part of this community!

This is one of the best threads I have ever read... to know that total strangers would be there to help out a person in need is awesome. I think this also shows that this great game we all love also produces great values and morals in everyone that plays.

Good luck to all of you in this economic situation I hope we all make it through and put our families first.

jonb, I couldn't agree more. Each time I've come back to this thread to read it, I'm amazed by the continued and increasing support for Headcase. I'm also touched by his sincerty and appreciation of all the offfers.

This simply is the best thread I've ever read on any discussion board.

This is for all the members of this board :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I was getting ready to start a thread about ppl being better to each other and not jumping down each others neck, I have only been here a little over a year and the kindness of the ppl here is just unbelievable (in a great way) some are just too quick to flame another for no reason, and a lot of times not reading an entire post or taking it wrong. Again this is a great site and a community I am proud to be part of. Kudos to all who offered help. :friends:

When I originally posted this topic I did not expect the response that has followed. Outstanding! I'm especially excited if something comes about to help others that are struggling. Thanks everyone again, I can't say that enough.

Things are looking a bit more promising on the golf front for me. As I mentioned before I have a very generous friend who pulled a fast one on me allowing to keep my Adams A4 head and I got some iron shafts and grips for free from one of the members at the club in my home town. He is one of the older guys at the club and he tinkers with clubs as do I. He builds and repairs clubs as a hobby and happened to have some shafts and grips laying around that somebody had backed out on purchasing from him. He is "good people". Its not much but its along ways from were I was when I walked out the door to ship my irons I had just sold a week or so ago.

I'm gonna say it again guys, Thanks so much for the kind words and response.

Golfwrx is Number 1!!!!!!

Thanks (again)

headcase

...Its not much but its along ways from were I was when I walked out the door to ship my irons I had just sold a week or so ago...
Okay, well let's get this thing taken care of.

I need a W.I.I.T.B. post from you, Headcase -- What Isn't In The Bag ;)

Then we can organize a recovery of your bag, and this will be the exemplar for future "pay it forward" threads.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I have a driver head (Adams A4), just got a lob wedge from my nephew (who just made the varsity golf team as a freshman, I'm very proud), and I have a set of iron shafts and some grips. I still feel a little apprehensive about all this. I guess its cuz I've never been in a situation like this. If its going to give me an opportunity to help someone else down the road then I feel better about it. Thats the roll I'm familiar with. I don't often have others offering to help me. Not that I've ever done anything so extraordinary for anyone but I'm always willing to help. Maybe this could be that springboard for something bigger and better in the near future.

Thanks again and again,

headcase

So do you need some heads for those iron shafts. Gentle Giant GX 2's, offset, don't knock 'em, they work great. Let me know and let's make this work. Thanks. I'm glad it looks like things are working out. And don't let those kids slide on this - I'm sure there are newspaper routes in your area, cars to wash, lawns to mow, etc etc. Kidding, just kidding! But serious about the club heads.

I have a driver head (Adams A4), just got a lob wedge from my nephew (who just made the varsity golf team as a freshman, I'm very proud), and I have a set of iron shafts and some grips. I still feel a little apprehensive about all this. I guess its cuz I've never been in a situation like this. If its going to give me an opportunity to help someone else down the road then I feel better about it. Thats the roll I'm familiar with. I don't often have others offering to help me. Not that I've ever done anything so extraordinary for anyone but I'm always willing to help. Maybe this could be that springboard for something bigger and better in the near future.

Thanks again and again,

headcase

Okay, great!

Tell us a bit about your game so we can get you the appropriate "level" of equipment? (We don't want to give away anything that might be better suited to the next person.)

Driver swingspeed/average drive:

Handicap:

7-iron distance:

favorite irons you've owned:

favorite putter/putter type:

preferred bag makeup(3-iron?, hybrid(s)?):

carry or cart bag?:

Any other information that might help?

I'll set up a master list of W.I.I.T.B. -- what isn't in the bag -- and we'll fumble through it from there.

Feel free to PM me if you want to help privately or for any other questions. ;)

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Btw offer still stands. I have a set of mp14s that I'd be willing to send at no charge if you change your mind.

if you didn't have a 3 wood, I'm willing to send you an old Yonex v-mass fairway wood. Its in excellent condition and you can have it. Don't need it anymore and its better than nothing. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Golfer profile:

110mph swingspeed, drives average 280 yards

Handicap: 6

Prefers a players cavity-back iron

Center shafted mallet putter.....heavy is good.

Okay, folks.....this is what's missing.

Driver shaft

3-wood....stiff probably best

Hybrid

4-PW iron heads only

Sand wedge

Carry bag

I'm not sure how to best handle this --- it's a bit awkward.

What if everyone so inclined posts what they have available? I'll go back in the thread and look.

Duplicates are just fine, that way HeadCase59 can see what's available and choose stuff that "fits."

We'll PM back & forth and take it from there.

If you'd rather remain anonymous you can PM me directly.

Any suggestions on how to better handle this are welcome!

Thanks to all for supporting & participating. :drinks:

Thank you everyone. This is truly amazing. I'm basically speechless and overwhelmed with the generosity displayed by everyone. Unbelievable! I'm proud to be a member of the golfwrx community. If there is anything I can do for anyone I would be greatly honored to do so. For those of you that I am taking up on offers with please let me know if I need to send the clubs back to you down the road or otherwise I would be happy to move them along to some one else in need when my family and I get back on our feet. Or if there is any other way I could repay you. Just let me know. Again I can't stop saying it but Thank you everyone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

headcase59

As posted above, I have a nice, brand new Ping Hoofer Vantage Carry Bag. It's a solid carry bag and should last you a long time. As a lefty, I feel very good about being able to contribute to this. And as a medical student, these acts of generosity remind me of why I went into medical school in the first place. Just let me know where to send it (ie. address). I included a link so you can check out the bag. You're going to play golf this year!

-Walter

http://www.ping.com/bags/carrydetail.aspx?id=1098

PS. I actually have two colors: Solid Navy or Royal/Graphite. Follow the link above and click on 'Available Colors' and let me know which one you like better. I think it will be fun for you to do a little color shopping. Who knows, you may even find a few "surprises" in the pockets.

Let me know. :friends:

Consider the 'Carry Bag' --> FILLED

Props to 'Asleep' for organizing this. Would not of happened without you.

PPS. Any fan of Payne Stewart is a friend of mine.

I just found this thread.......I'm in awe at everyone's generosity, and proud to see that the "American Way" is still in existence.

HeadCase59, I am just getting back into the game again myself, so I don't have any equipment to offer. But I do have a little story for you and a suggestion that might help ease your situation. It's a little long, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible and still hit the high spots and points of importance........

When my wife and I got married in 1993, we were both "broke". Living paycheck-to-paycheck. We both had good incomes, but we were living "normal" compared to everyone else. You know....car payments, mortgage, etc. If we wanted something, and could fit the payment into our already strained budget, we signed the papers and took/drove it home. We had a nice home, nice cars, satellite TV, nice clothes, and THOUGHT we were happy.

In 2002......we filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

I have to tell you that this was the most absolutely humiliating thing that either one of us had ever done. I was a sales manager for a prominent company, and she was a medical professional. Sounds like a GREAT life, doesn't it? Well...it should have been a great life. But we handled our money incorrectly. Like I said.....We acted "normal" and used credit for everything we did.

Luckily (and through the grace of God and the support of our Church), our marriage survived the ordeal. Unfortunately this is not the case in a lot of situations. The marriage suffers as the weight and frustration of the situation increases.

We decided then and there that we were going to make a change and NEVER get in that situation again. Should be pretty easy, right? Two above average incomes and ZERO debt? We were starting over with a clean slate! Yippee! Well....we failed to form a firm plan and guess what? In 2 years we were up to our ears in debt again. Were we stupid? Nope. We were UNEDUCATED about how to properly handle and use our incomes. We weren't foolish kids, either. We were in our mid-40's and should have known better.

Then one day I decided that we needed XM Radio. So I bought a couple and installed them in our cars. One day the next week the wife came home from work and was crying. Uncontrollable, snot-blowing, I-can't-see-where-I'm-going crying. When I asked her what was wrong (I thought someone had died) she told me that she had been listening to a guy on the XM for the past few days. His name was Dave Ramsey. She said, "He gave me the answer to our lives!"

Of course, you probably know my initial thoughts........."TV Evangelist!" But I was wrong. After promising that I would listen to his broadcast daily for the next few days, I found out that she was right. And this person changed our lives. And probably saved our marriage.

Dave Ramsey has been teaching how to handle money for many years. He was a millionaire....then bankrupt....and is now a millionaire again. But as he says...."He did it right this time!"

Money handling is NOT something that we are born with, nor is it taught in school. And while it's basically common sense, that still doesn't mean that we all understand it and will do the right thing along the timelines of our working careers.

If you are not already familiar with Mr. Ramsey, I BEG you to seek out his radio broadcast or listen to his program online at his website (it's absolutely free). He's the most intelligent man that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting (I attended one of his seminars that he also offers) and KNOWS how to manage money and get your life in control. His methods are tough at times, but after a couple of years, it's utterly AMAZING what you find out about your income and yourselves.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't take offense to this post. I'm not in any way trying to say that you have mis-managed your incomes or are doing foolish things with your funds. But we ALL need some guidance at times and anything that I can get for FREE from a guy who is an expert and passionately cares about people is a must-have in my book.

At least check him out when you have time.

His website is www.daveramsey.com

He has 2 books available that are must-reads for any husband & wife: Financial Peace, and The Total Money Makeover.

I sincerely hope you get over this little bump in the road quickly. HOLD ONTO YOUR WIFE during this time. KEEP EACH OTHER CLOSE! Never, ever let money problems come between you or cause you to drift away from one another.

God Bless.

Steve.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I still can't believe how generous the golfwrx community is. Its amazing. All I can think is how thankful I am to all of you that have even just made offers to help. It makes me also feel happy and thankful that we might help someone else in the future as well. My family is what keeps me ticking but the golfwrx community is making me tick that much faster, if thats at all possible. I'm sitting here thinking of how to express how I feel about these acts of kindness and thoughtfulness... I just don't know how to... except for saying Thank you everyone

thanks again,

headcase59