2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Club Fitting at Edwin Watts

GolfChannel

This Saturday I'm going to purchase a new set of irons and I was curious if anyone had experience getting fitted at Edwin Watts? The last time I bought a set of irons they were a set of Super Game Improvements which I never got fitted for, but I want to make sure I get the most for my money. It looks like I'm going to be picking up either: Taylormade R7 TP, Cobra FP II, Titleist AP1, or Cleveland CG7 Red.

I prefer the customer service at Edwin Watts, but I just want to make sure they know how to fit clubs.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way to get fitted is at an outdoor range to see ball flight

Simulators are iffy

I've already played a round with each, but I'm wondering how they do with fitting club length and lie angle. I did the web-fit thing on Golfsmith and Pings website and it said I should cut my clubs down an inch and my lie should be 4 degrees flat, but I don't know how accurrate their measuring systems are.

are there any "demo days" coming up close to you? If so, i would try all OEM's equipment, find the clubs you like and have them fit you. My experience with Edwin Watts, Golfsmith etc. has been not very good. The static fittings you mentioned are only a starting point, but should be relatively close if your measurements are correct.

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

Go to Edwin Watts with a lot of open credit on your credit card and then get as many demo 6 irons as your credit card will allow. They actually charge you for the clubs, then refund the $ when you return the clubs. Take them to the range and hit a ton of balls. When you narrow it down to 2-3 clubs, go back and get as many shaft/flex variations of those 2-3 clubs as you can find. It takes time and it will amaze you in how different clubs/shafts feel.

I mean specifically how good of a job do they do finding club length and lie angle when customizing a set once you've narrowed down you choices to the irons you want?

I mean specifically how good of a job do they do finding club length and lie angle when customizing a set once you've narrowed down you choices to the irons you want?

I don't think they do - that's care about loft or lie. In my experiences they just hand you a club to hit, watch the resuts, then you try another club they have in stock until, Bingo, you hit this one the best!

I would highly suggest a demo-day and then only purchase after you used the club on the course.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Eddie Castleman at the Turkey Lake Edwin Watts in Orlando knows his stuff. He was on the Royal Precision Tour Van for a long time. Other than that there are several good clubmakers in the area I just don't know any of them so don't want to say that they are good and have that backfire on me.

If you already know what you want to buy,it sounds like this guy can actually fit you. Hope this helps. Todd

if you're looking at Cobra and Titleist, you can go on titleist.com and click "find a fitter"- they have them all indexed by indoor/outdoor and whether or not they have a surefit (interchangeable heads/shafts) cart or not. Cobra has something similar.

I'm sure the other manufacturers do something similar.

Yeah, I'm getting the Cobra FP II's and my local Edwin Watts in Casselberry, Florida in the suburbs of Orlando is a certified Cobra fitter...I was just curious if I should ask for specific things when I get fitted? So, I should be fitted for every club?

I'm also going to ask them to fit my CG14 wedges because I'm getting too shallow with my divots so I would believe I need to have a flat lie in my wedges.

Yeah, I'm getting the Cobra FP II's and my local Edwin Watts in Casselberry, Florida in the suburbs of Orlando is a certified Cobra fitter...I was just curious if I should ask for specific things when I get fitted? So, I should be fitted for every club?

I'm also going to ask them to fit my CG14 wedges because I'm getting too shallow with my divots so I would believe I need to have a flat lie in my wedges.

If you really want to get fit let me know. I rather you get fit correctly. I won't charge you a thing and you can buy the clubs wherever you wish.

If you really want to get fit let me know. I rather you get fit correctly. I won't charge you a thing and you can buy the clubs wherever you wish.

I'd take him up on that in a second and don't look back. Iteach will give you 1000% more attention than any big box.

That's a very generous offer.

yeah i saw the title of this thread and thought............APRIL FOOLS.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I know at the Edwin Watts in Knoxville, I have rarely seen them send someone out with an off the rack set. They say that the adjustments are free from the manufacturer so they try to get evertyhing perfect for the customer. They have worked with me on the vector (not the simulator) multiple times to get me perfectly fitted. Also, they always check my lofts and lies and I see them with the yardstick out all the time checking lengths. I have to say that up here, they do a pretty good job.

Yeah, I think I'm taking Iteachgolf up on his offer, but I was just curious because I shop at a smaller Edwin Watts that I know the guy and gals in there really well but wasn't sure how they did with fitting equipment. I knew the headquarters down on Turkey Lake road does a good job, but I don't like shopping in there because it just feels to big. My concern was that the local shop allows people to demo the Cobra clubs out of the fitting cart so I was worried that if I go to get fitted the clubs they need to fit me might be checked out.

The golfsmith by Altamonte, where Iteachgolf works, has greatly improved since they cleaned house so I go in there a lot as well. I like the new golf galaxy out on Sand lake road, but I don't know any of the guys out there, and the radar measuring I've found to be a little suspect.

I would suggest that Iteach is your guy. He understands how to fit, whereas the EW guys will at best fit your length statically and your lie based on one iron (usually a 6) Don't bother with the wedges with them as they have no clue unless you are talking about keeping even gaps in loft. Make sure you also look at grip size and brand as some folks have the wrong size and composition. Remember to use your ball brand as your body will adjust to others and throw the process off.

To be fair, I have found a very informed group at my EW on Bonneval Rd here in Jax. Tom Ashton and Allen Brown were former tour players and are the best at getting you fit in this area. The other stores are full of salesman.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 16GF, 8GB 45"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

I would suggest that Iteach is your guy. He understands how to fit, whereas the EW guys will at best fit your length statically and your lie based on one iron (usually a 6) Don't bother with the wedges with them as they have no clue unless you are talking about keeping even gaps in loft. Make sure you also look at grip size and brand as some folks have the wrong size and composition. Remember to use your ball brand as your body will adjust to others and throw the process off.

To be fair, I have found a very informed group at my EW on Bonneval Rd here in Jax. Tom Ashton and Allen Brown were former tour players and are the best at getting you fit in this area. The other stores are full of salesman.

Anybody could recommend someone or someplace in the Miami/Ft lauderdale area. I am going through the same process but want to get it right from the beginning. I would rather know what type of angles, length, etc I need and then make a final decision. I have already demoed some clubs and have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 choices (for irons).

Thanks in advance for any info.

Peace

Yeah, I think I'm taking Iteachgolf up on his offer, but I was just curious because I shop at a smaller Edwin Watts that I know the guy and gals in there really well but wasn't sure how they did with fitting equipment. I knew the headquarters down on Turkey Lake road does a good job, but I don't like shopping in there because it just feels to big. My concern was that the local shop allows people to demo the Cobra clubs out of the fitting cart so I was worried that if I go to get fitted the clubs they need to fit me might be checked out.

The golfsmith by Altamonte, where Iteachgolf works, has greatly improved since they cleaned house so I go in there a lot as well. I like the new golf galaxy out on Sand lake road, but I don't know any of the guys out there, and the radar measuring I've found to be a little suspect.

....well . I'm going to disagree. I was in there last November and wanted to trade my existing set for a new set of MP 62's. The "fitter" insisted they alter the new irons which I was charged for and he was adamant that I needed a much flatter lie than standard - for info, and I know this isn't the sole determinant, I'm a shade under six foot. Anyhow, hey,who was I to argue - I'm a Fund manager he is reputedly a clubfitter..."type". So I buy the irons, even though I've NEVER had flat lie clubs in over 30 years playing the game, but as I said , I often take people at face value and trust they are giving me the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

Clubs were OK....but I started to leave shots out to the right.

Roll the clock on four months and back home, I attended a half-day Trackman fitting session over here in St. Andrews - the fitter and club builder was absolutely astonished - some of my irons ( not all ) were as much as 3.5 degrees flat and he recommended I should play irons at 1 degree UP !! And let me say, that he sought a second opinion from his vastly experienced colleague and both were of the strong opinion that the guy in Eddie Watts clearly had an off day when I went in.

In short, I would NOT go there to be fitted - see a proper fitter first and foremost and then if you still want to , go back to the store and order the specs you need.

Yeah, I put my inner club ho in check and I'm going to wait until Iteachgolf has time to fit me. I just want everything to be right in terms of equipment.

Heads up I'm going to be putting up a video on Youtube later today; be kind I had a really bad day.