2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Pro V1 is NOT what it used to be

Deerslayer

Ok, I'm at a loss here. If Titleist stole the technology from company A, then why doesn't company A produce the same ball as the old ProV1? Yes, there are similar balls, but for many, nothing quite as good as the V1.

Produce the same ball?? UHHH Patent infringement means Titlest was using the same technology, so who was making the same ball? You make no sense.

Actually we don't know exactly WHICH patent was infringed upon(I don't care enough to look, but "technology" doesn't quite cut the mustard), but they certainly are not totally the "Same".

For Callaway to make the "Exact" same ball, they would have to then Infringe upon Titleist Patents.....and well that wouldn't make too much sense....although I'd bet $ that manufacturers skate very close to each other more than we know... ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave the B330-RX a try at the end of last season and had my worst round in a long time. Iron shots were a mile high and driver distance was shorter then the B330-S and Pro V1. Ball doesnt spin at all compared to other Tour balls. Good ball but just did not fit my game at all. For me, iron trajectory and spin are the most important feature followed by short game spin then putting and last is driver distance.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Titleist is showing their true colors. Since they can't steal technology any longer, the are showing they don't know how to make a golf ball any more!!!!!!

B330-s or Z-star

Both FAR superior balls. The tour is showing it (players leaving Titleist left and right) players show it... demand shows it! A year ago, of the people coming into the store for balls probably 4 - 5 out of 10 asked for Pro Vs (which we didn't sell then, and don't sell now) But This season, I would say barely 2 - 3 out of 10 ask for them by name. They are REALLY loosing the market because they make an inferior ball.

Its funny because I used to play the 3 piece B330-S and it got me to leave using a Titleist ball. Then Bridgestone stop making the 3 piece ball in favor of a 4 and left me high and dry. The word was the new 09 ProV1 was spot on with feel and performance of the old 330-S. I loved the feel, soft but still alittle on the firm side. As for pros leaving Titleist....come on really???? 8 of the top ten at the masters were using a Titleist ball. When was the last time other then Phil or Tiger won a tournament and it wasnt a ProV1/x. There are only two big names playing the new Z-star and Boo has allready swithed back to his V1x. Im sure Vijay will switch later in the year and Srixon will fade out of the picture....again. Then some other company will spring up promising the world and how much better it is then the ProV1 and they will go away also.

Yes, but many pros are still using the '07 ProV1 and have NOT switched up to the '09 ball.

Once the new groove rules kick in, we'll see the spinning ball come back with the softer covers again. Just sucks that we have to putt rocks until then. As for me, I bought up as many '07 ProV1s as I could find.

My wife gave me 4 dozen ProV1s for my birthday and appologized for buying the cheaper '07's. I kissed her and told her she was spot on with the '07 ball.

Titleist admits that now they have put the same firmer cover on both the ProV1 and ProV1x. How about asking their loyal following first before scuttling arguably the best ball ever made.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Titleist makes ProV's & ProV1X's to suite touring pro desire, the rest of their line is for average Joe golfer.

Of late they are purposely taking away spin in favor of hit, bounce check and forward roll behavior. For me, ProV's spin to much and Pro1X's, which I played for sometime, are now in limbo. That court event with Callaway give me the impression 2009 version is a knee jerk product so I left the line.

Reason I switched to IX and TP Red LDP which provide plenty of spin and distance for me.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I have also been doing a lot of ball tinkering as an ex Prov1x user. I am now playing the TP Red ball, and so far I have no reason to switch. The ball is long of driver and irons, and it doesnt spin off the greens as my Prov1x did. I have also tinkered with the Srixon z star x ball. The z star x ball seems to have more spin around the greens, but doesnt seem to go as far as the tp red. Anybody else playing the TP red?

If you get 99% performance out of the 09 Prov's over the 08 or 07 Prov's AND they last twice as long, why NOT switch ?

I am picky about my scuffed balls, and Z Stars will last 2 rounds, easily!

Interestingly, the double blind golf ball test ( Golf Digest) had the Cally Tour i as having the best " Low Spin off Driver- High higher Short Iron Spin" Combo when tested against ALL the other Tour Balls.

I play the Z Star Cause it helps me where I am weakest: Holding the greens on approach and Par 3's tee shots. And cause they are so durable, I get twice the play in a box of 'em. Yippeee !

It's amazing how picky we are these days.. when ALL of the 09 Tour Balls are Miles ahead of Quality, Symmetry, Distance etc of balls 10 years ago.

I really think that Tour caliber Golf Balls with advanced Players & Pro's are 99% Mental and not based on performance. I have played with guys, life long Titeist players, whom have a great front 9 round with a Cally or TP Red, even make long putts etc... but by the 10th Tee " Here's your ball back. I'll take my Prov1x back. "

Didnt Trevino play a cheap Top-Flite, Rock-Flite ball and was known for his wedge play and beat the best in the world ? I am guilty of this "mental-block" ball thing too, just not as bad as those here, IMO.

I got 3-5 rounds out of ProV1X's before switching to Callaway ix and TP Red LCD's, which also provide 3-5 rds. How long a ball lasts has as much to do with the users ball striking skills as it does with the balls cover. As for spin, of the three here I get max spin from ix... and bit less from Red and even less from last years ProV1X.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Here is a Q and A session that Boo Weekely talks a little about the new Pro V1:

Q. You mentioned distance control has been a problem with the ball, and distance control is what you need here. Is that a concern going into this? And what kind of ball are you trying to use now?

BOO WEEKLEY: I'm playing Srixon Star, Z Star Y or X Star Z, I'm not sure. I've got so many of them. They're good balls. I ain't complaining about the ball. It's more trying to find a set of clubs that help keeps the ball from spinning as much off of them or going too high. For me I don't like to hit the ball real high. I like to keep it down a little bit. We found it now. We found two weeks ago we found a set of shafts that help me control the ball flight. So I'm anxious to really come out here and be able to play and see exactly what's going to happen. I'm excited about now I know how far I'm hitting and how far it's going to go, and how much it's going to spin.

Q. If you had real success with the ball you were using last year, why would you change? Is it all sponsorship related?

BOO WEEKLEY: No, it had a little bit to do with it -- I'm going to have to pass on that one. It had a lot to do with -- it was Titleist golf ball, and it had a lot to do with Callaway, the stuff they had going on. So that was the issue there. And if they can't make that ball anymore, they run out of them, what are you going to do then? You're going to have to switch anyway.

Here is the link for the entire article: http://www.pgatour.com/2009/tournaments/r0...ript/index.html

• 1 month later...

Having played with the 2009 pro v1 and being a big fan of the 2007 B330s, I would say they are similar. In fact, I feel that I have actually gotten a slightly improved 2007 b330s in the 2009 pro v1 in that the greenside spin is a little more pronounced (in a good way).

As I say often, the thing that Titleist has stood on is the greenside performance of the Pro V along with feel off the putter.

In my opinion, the 2009 prov1 is like a 2007 b330s with a slightly better putter feel. I like the feel off the putter slightly better with the 2007 Prov1 over the 2009 version, but in my opinion, Titleist made all of the right trade offs with both the prov1 and prov1x for 2009.

I was thinking that I would be sticking with the Tour i, but I may keep the 2009 Pro V1 in the bag.

I feel that it rolls out a little better than the prior iteration, and I was able to keep the ball lower off the driver so far (this could just be me of course).

The 2009 pro v1 is definitely more durable than 2007. I would say it almost has the same type of durable sheen that the 2007 b330s did.

I love it

Agree with OP that the new ball spins less, is harder and is more durable. But, IMHO, it still spins enough and feels good enough off all clubs. The old ones span too much for me in any case on anything but baked greens.

It is way more durable. Manged to play 18 holes with a single ball on two occasions last week having hit several full wedges from the fairway. Marked, yes, but still not close to having to take it out of play. Could never do that with the old balls.

I get about 5 yards more off the tee too. Good ball.

Agree with OP that the new ball spins less, is harder and is more durable. But, IMHO, it still spins enough and feels good enough off all clubs. The old ones span too much for me in any case on anything but baked greens.

It is way more durable. Manged to play 18 holes with a single ball on two occasions last week having hit several full wedges from the fairway. Marked, yes, but still not close to having to take it out of play. Could never do that with the old balls.

I get about 5 yards more off the tee too. Good ball.

100% agree. '09 ProV1 is a great ball for me as well.

Having played with the 2009 pro v1 and being a big fan of the 2007 B330s, I would say they are similar. In fact, I feel that I have actually gotten a slightly improved 2007 b330s in the 2009 pro v1 in that the greenside spin is a little more pronounced (in a good way).

As I say often, the thing that Titleist has stood on is the greenside performance of the Pro V along with feel off the putter.

In my opinion, the 2009 prov1 is like a 2007 b330s with a slightly better putter feel. I like the feel off the putter slightly better with the 2007 Prov1 over the 2009 version, but in my opinion, Titleist made all of the right trade offs with both the prov1 and prov1x for 2009.

I was thinking that I would be sticking with the Tour i, but I may keep the 2009 Pro V1 in the bag.

I feel that it rolls out a little better than the prior iteration, and I was able to keep the ball lower off the driver so far (this could just be me of course).

The 2009 pro v1 is definitely more durable than 2007. I would say it almost has the same type of durable sheen that the 2007 b330s did.

I love it

After a long weekend of having the 2009 ProV1 in play, and being a former very big fan of the 2007 B330S, I would have to agree with all of your statements - very similar feel and trajectory with the 09 PV1 having better greenside manners.