Srixon Z-Star vs. Bridgestone 330RX

griffew

Anyone with any experience playing these side by side? Just curious to see which one: spins more, is longer off the tee, is more durable, is better around the greens. From what I have read, I know these are both real close and both great balls. I am leaning towards the 330RX since I have a lower swing speed than 105mph and it seems to be designed for amateurs that are looking for tour ball characteristics. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 95 mph Driver Swing Speed 6 handicap ... I can tell you that I personally prefer the rx. Zstar and Rx are fairly close in all areas albeit one very critical one for me and that is driver trajectory. For me ... I found that the Zstar with its mid-high driver trajectory ... kind of reached its apex ... and then just fell from the sky. The rx on the other hand ... with its mid-low trajectory ... definitely flattened out toward the end of my drives and then ran out a bit farther. Honestly, that is the only difference I've noted from playing both of these balls extensively early in the season here... but ... for that reason ... I'm sticking with the Rx. Feel on all clubs, spin on all clubs etc ... were pretty equal across the board with these 2 balls.

At the moment, I'm also leaning towards the RX. Not because it performs better but the opposite. The RX rolls out more than the Z-star on the greens I play and until I can take my feel for distance around the green up a couple of notches, I may just game the RX for a while.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I switched to Zstar from 330 RX

RX wasn't performing the way Zstar was

When you say it wasnt performing the way the Z-Star was, what do you mean by that? Didnt spin as much? Was firmer? Didnt go as far? Just trying to get a feel for them before I spend $40 on a dozen. Basically, I am trying to find a ball that performs like the 07 ProV1 that lasts me at least an entire round, not just 4 holes. If I pick up some distance off the tee, thats just an added bonus. Feel around the greens and spin going into the greens is the key for me.

When you say it wasnt performing the way the Z-Star was, what do you mean by that? Didnt spin as much? Was firmer? Didnt go as far? Just trying to get a feel for them before I spend $40 on a dozen. Basically, I am trying to find a ball that performs like the 07 ProV1 that lasts me at least an entire round, not just 4 holes. If I pick up some distance off the tee, thats just an added bonus. Feel around the greens and spin going into the greens is the key for me.

zstar was better ball on putter: so soft and rolls well

Zstar was better ball on wedge shots and iron shots: checks up better on green, Felt like it had break

Zstar and 330RX both had about same distance off the tee

Zstar held up way better, durability is important matter when I pay $40/dz ball

I hope this helps

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

zstar was better ball on putter: so soft and rolls well

Zstar was better ball on wedge shots and iron shots: checks up better on green, Felt like it had break

Zstar and 330RX both had about same distance off the tee

Zstar held up way better, durability is important matter when I pay $40/dz ball

I hope this helps

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Funny, I just bought a sleeve of these 2 balls yesterday and tried them alongside the Callaway Tour ix I used to play. I hit drives and shots around the greens with both. Off the driver they felt similar. The RX had a unique feel and sound off the driver unlike any other ball. If I had to describe it, I would say muted and softer. Distance about the same. Around the greens I noticed no drastic differences.

I liked both. I think I would buy what ever I could get cheapest.

Swing speed with driver 100 MPH. HC = 4.

Here is what i found:

1) off the tee, mid irons and wedges, and around the greens, the two feel pretty much the same

2) putting, i like the softer feel of the Z-Star better!!!

3) durability, both are great but the RX seems to be a little bit better for me

To me most important is the putting feel, so i'm going for the Srixon!! :clapping:

I found a Zstar this week on course in great condition, so I put away my Nike Plats and tried it out- Wow, great feel off the putter and spin off the wedges and by my gauge it was about 1/2+ club longer than the nikes, durablity was super, I had the ball for a solid 2 rounds(before I knocked it OB) and it looked good as new. Very impressed, but have to switch.. Anyone want 4 doz of Nike Platinums brand new for some Zstars?

I found a Zstar this week on course in great condition, so I put away my Nike Plats and tried it out- Wow, great feel off the putter and spin off the wedges and by my gauge it was about 1/2+ club longer than the nikes, durablity was super, I had the ball for a solid 2 rounds(before I knocked it OB) and it looked good as new. Very impressed, but have to switch.. Anyone want 4 doz of Nike Platinums brand new for some Zstars?

So that's where my Z-Star went. I knew it got picked up and not lost. bastxxx.

Never played a z-star, but durability wise, the RX holds up better than any other premium ball iv'e tried by a significant margin. If people are saying the z star is comparable in durability, that's pretty impressive..

Zstar is better in durability for sure.

I have done many tests against 330RX at my home course and got the same result everytime.

Now, I am playing Zstar/Zstar X depends on course condition but Zstar is great. you should try a sleeve

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Caller, what is your swing speed? You have just about convinced me to buy a box of Z-Stars (I would buy a sleeve like I did the Bridgestone and liked them alot but cant find a sleeve of the Z-Stars anywhere). The only reason that I have not proceeded with the Z-Star is the fact that the 330RX is designed for slower swing speeds. I am right at 100mph.

Caller, what is your swing speed? You have just about convinced me to buy a box of Z-Stars (I would buy a sleeve like I did the Bridgestone and liked them alot but cant find a sleeve of the Z-Stars anywhere). The only reason that I have not proceeded with the Z-Star is the fact that the 330RX is designed for slower swing speeds. I am right at 100mph.

I was in the same position as you do

My swing speed is anywhere from 90 to 100mph

I tried 330S but I did not compressed the ball enought then moved to 330RX

Since I switched to Zstar, I broke 90 and last Sunday, I shot my best score 80!

Just a well rounded ball from putter to tee. checks up better on green which saves me from a lot of troubles.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I was going to start a new topic but came across this one.

I found that the Srixon Z-Star was clearly the better ball for me vs. the Bridgestone B330-RX.

I'm a 6 hdcp, 38 yrs old, 95 mph driver swing speed.

I played with both balls on different days in different weather conditions (sunny, no wind, windy, rainy, cold, warm) and on different green conditions (slow, fast, wet, dry). The Z-Star outperformed the RX for me in all conditions.

I would recommend the RX if you're a senior citizen and want to gain additional yards off the tee and on iron shots. Otherwise, go with the Z-Star.

Here is what i found:

1) off the tee, mid irons and wedges, and around the greens, the two feel pretty much the same

2) putting, i like the softer feel of the Z-Star better!!!

3) durability, both are great but the RX seems to be a little bit better for me

To me most important is the putting feel, so i'm going for the Srixon!! :clapping:

agree. the Z Star feels better off the putter. The RX seemed to almost explode off the putter. I found it hard to control the distance of the RX.

I have played both Z-Star and 330-RX.

Driver:

330-RX - was a bit longer with lower spin.

Z-Star - was a bit shorter but still produced very nice flight.

Winner - 330-RX

Approach:

330-RX - lower ballflight and a bit longer than Z-Star. One hop and stop. Very good checking on chips. My Vokeys were tearing the cover up.

Z-Star - higher ballflight. One hop and spun back about 2 feet(sometimes more) average. GREAT checking on chips. The cover is freaking durable; they can withstand my Vokey shots very well.

Winner - Draw. Depends on your game(but I tend to prefer the Z-Star on this).

Putter:

330-RX - Nice, soft feeling off the putter face and rolls very well. I won't mind putting with this ball at all.

Z-Star - Feels GREAT off the putter face and rolls awesome. Feels as good if not better than the Pro V.

winner - Z-Star

Hope this helps.

Switched from the RX to the Z-Star for a few reasons.

1) Z-Star feels much better of the putter. Soft, but solid. RX felt much clickier to me and gives a much less satisfying sound of the putter face.

2) Durability. Z-Star holds up better without doubt.

3) Spin. Much better spin/control with the Z-Star. Personally I didn't check up any better than some medium priced balls like the Trispeed / NXT.

In terms of length I found little difference between them, with the Z-Star maybe a touch longer. Not much in it though. Both had a nice flight and ran out very well on drives too. The Z-Star also felt better to me off the driver. Overall I was a little disappointed with the RX, hugely impressed with the Z-Star. It's my ball for this season for sure.

So as a follow up to my earlier post, I played the Z-star, the 330-RX, and the Cally IX over the weekend at a 10 hole Par 3 course over 4 rounds.

Between the Z-star and the RX, the Z-star has much more stopping power and feels a bit softer. It really penalizes you on bad shots. The RX was straighter for me on iron and wedges shots overall but didn't stop well enough on the greens for me. I made to great saves with the Z-star from bad lies.

For my game, the winner between the two was the Z-star. However, of the 3, the Cally IX won the day were I beat my personal best. Its now my ball of choice.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Ball choice is subjective -- because feel is subjective and swings are different.

Try both.

Mid-90s swing speed with driver, I found the RX to feel softer off the ball than the Z-Star. As to putting, the RX feels soft to me. The Z Star felt like a ball with more compression. I may try it again when temps hit the mid-80s and up. As to spin around greens, no problems with the RX on partials. It checks --- for me.

You ought to try the Tour i Ball, too.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

People who say the z-star putts better than the rx are crazy!!!! The rx is hands down the best ball to putt out there. That being said I noticed similar driver and iron distances with rx and zstar. The biggest difference is spin on greenside shots the rx barely spins and the zstar is one of the higest spinning balls. Both ball are also extremely durable. So I think the choice comes down to greenside spin. If your looking for alot zstar, not so much rx.

Ok, I am now going to answer my own question. After todays round of 76, the Z-Star is now my ball and it blew my old ProV1 and the Bridgestone 330RX out of the water. I was around 5-10 yards further with my driver. The ball flight was a bit higher with the Z-Star than with the 330RX/ProV1 which is good for me because I hit the ball low. When I hit the green, they stuck with long irons or spun back just right with the short irons. Chip shots bit really well for me. I really liked the way it felt off of my putter. Finally, and the reason I looked to replace the ProV1, is the durability. I played the same ball the entire round and will tee off on the first hole of my next round with it because it looks like it is just about brand new. I played three balls for 4 holes. I didnt really like the Bridgestone as much. It was too clicky off of the putter and didn't stop as well on chips or approach shots into the green. I stopped using the ProV1 because it looked like I got it stuck in a meat grinder by the 4th hole. Everyone knows the ProV1 is a great ball, but to me lacks durability for us amateurs who dont get free ProV's. The Bridgestone 330RX is a good ball too but just not as good as the Z-Star IMO. If you want to try out a really good golf ball, get a sleeve of Z-Stars.

There is not much difference between them, they both play and feel a bit like other premium balls.

I did not notice much difference in distance, the RX might a 1-2 yards longer off the Irons.

Flight- they both come out mid launch but the Zstar may be a bit better through the air.

Spin- the Z star looks to be a tiny bit lower in spin off the driver.

Spin greenside- both don't spin too much (you won't such these back like a 2005 ProV1 or a Utri tour). If anything the Zstar spins a fraction more than the RX

Putt- both feel reasonably soft off the putter.

If you did a blind testing you would be hard pushed to detect any noticeable differences.

Ok, I am now going to answer my own question. After todays round of 76, the Z-Star is now my ball and it blew my old ProV1 and the Bridgestone 330RX out of the water. I was around 5-10 yards further with my driver. The ball flight was a bit higher with the Z-Star than with the 330RX/ProV1 which is good for me because I hit the ball low. When I hit the green, they stuck with long irons or spun back just right with the short irons. Chip shots bit really well for me. I really liked the way it felt off of my putter. Finally, and the reason I looked to replace the ProV1, is the durability. I played the same ball the entire round and will tee off on the first hole of my next round with it because it looks like it is just about brand new. I played three balls for 4 holes. I didnt really like the Bridgestone as much. It was too clicky off of the putter and didn't stop as well on chips or approach shots into the green. I stopped using the ProV1 because it looked like I got it stuck in a meat grinder by the 4th hole. Everyone knows the ProV1 is a great ball, but to me lacks durability for us amateurs who dont get free ProV's. The Bridgestone 330RX is a good ball too but just not as good as the Z-Star IMO. If you want to try out a really good golf ball, get a sleeve of Z-Stars.

Glad you approved it

That is why I switched from Prov1 and 330RX

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I'm a Pro V1 loyalist but have been tempted to try the Z-Star for a while... Is it REALLY that good and worth it? (My course doesn't carry just a sleeve to try.)

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)