2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Does the ProV1 spin TOO much for me?

yahtzee

I have been playing golf since 2004 and absolutely love it. Have worked very hard on my game and lowered my handicap from mid 20's to a 13.7. The beginning of last season I started toying around with ProV1's because I could finally tell the difference between high spin and low spin around the greens (and more importantly, I had developed a pretty good short game). I'm wondering if my switch to the ProV1 is costing me distance off of the tee and with my irons. I impart a decent amount of spin but have controlled that with my recent driver fitting (FT-9 w/Fubuki shaft)....even still, I am 10-15 yds behind the guys i was normally equal to or beyond. I keep hearing that the ProV's aren't going to provide the amateur with the best performance as they don't have the skills to bring that type of ball to its peak performance.

My swing speed is high 90's/low 100's off of the tee and I am just wondering if there is a ball that would give me less spin off of the tee but still provide me some decent control with my short game. I'm hearing good things about the Tour IX. Fire away.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go pro v1x. pro v1 line is all i play, i like the spin of pro v1 but like the distance of 1x. the 1x does have less bite around the green but great feel and distance on driver and irons

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

I played Pro v;s is a club event day.

I have 105 ss and an 8 index.

No I do not really see a loss of distance that I can make up with the next iron shot.

I do see that I can spin the ball and stop it with Pro V's. cost me and helped me both .

Just an adjustment to the type of shots your hitting into the greens.

Keep the grooves clean and they will Pull back.

If you are playing the 09 Pro V1 then you should see even more distance gains. I'm talking yards at most. If you hit a slice you will lose more distance with the Pro V1 over a 2-piece distance ball which you may have played before the switch to the Pro V1. I would recommend the Srixon Z Star for you to try (Since you like the short game spin do not buy the Z-Star X). The spin is equal to the Pro V1 and there is more distance and lower driver spin. I played my way through a dozen and really liked them. I am very dependent on spinning a ball and switched to the Nike One Tour. It spins a lot more than the Pro V1 does and while I would love to recommend it if you are looking for more distance and still want the great feel and spin you would be missing out if you did not try the Srixon Z-Star.

If you are playing the 09 Pro V1 then you should see even more distance gains. I'm talking yards at most. If you hit a slice you will lose more distance with the Pro V1 over a 2-piece distance ball which you may have played before the switch to the Pro V1. I would recommend the Srixon Z Star for you to try (Since you like the short game spin do not buy the Z-Star X). The spin is equal to the Pro V1 and there is more distance and lower driver spin. I played my way through a dozen and really liked them. I am very dependent on spinning a ball and switched to the Nike One Tour. It spins a lot more than the Pro V1 does and while I would love to recommend it if you are looking for more distance and still want the great feel and spin you would be missing out if you did not try the Srixon Z-Star.

Really seems like you prefer the Z-star over the One Tour....so why play it?

Will the ProV1 cost you distance off the tee and off the irons? Quite possibly. It depends on your ball flight and the amount of spin that you can generate. The ProV1 will definitely cost the high spin player a little distance because it spins too much for them. The ProV1x is the ball for a higher spin player, and when played by that player will still have plenty of spin for approach and greenside shots. I have a very steep swing plane with the irons, and the ProV1 has far too much spin for me to get a consistent flight with them....they tend to balloon and are a huge handicap into the wind.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I have been playing golf since 2004 and absolutely love it. Have worked very hard on my game and lowered my handicap from mid 20's to a 13.7. The beginning of last season I started toying around with ProV1's because I could finally tell the difference between high spin and low spin around the greens (and more importantly, I had developed a pretty good short game). I'm wondering if my switch to the ProV1 is costing me distance off of the tee and with my irons. I impart a decent amount of spin but have controlled that with my recent driver fitting (FT-9 w/Fubuki shaft)....even still, I am 10-15 yds behind the guys i was normally equal to or beyond. I keep hearing that the ProV's aren't going to provide the amateur with the best performance as they don't have the skills to bring that type of ball to its peak performance.

My swing speed is high 90's/low 100's off of the tee and I am just wondering if there is a ball that would give me less spin off of the tee but still provide me some decent control with my short game. I'm hearing good things about the Tour IX. Fire away.

Benefiting from "premium" ball has to do with knowing how you impact the ball with each club. Many golfers use and benefit from ProV's around the greens even with short irons, but don't with long irons or woods because they don't compress the ball enough. All that likely means though is loosing maybe 3-15yds; length of course might be a consideration. That said, there's a big difference between 90's - low 100's in swing speed, and there's a SS difference between irons and woods.

Also to many golfers compare themselves to others, that's a mistake. Many of the people I tee it up with do not hit the ball or score like I do, and yet a buddy that plays NXT tour consistently out drives me. The key is I don't care what others do or choose equipment wise.

If you think a ball is costing you off the tee play two balls for 18 holes, which I've done many times. Try ProV and NXT tour for comparison and see; it's a good ball. As for your "ix" suggestion if you are not maximizing a regular ProV (which is softer) it's highly unlikely you'll benefit from "ix", which I play, and is a harder low spin distance ball.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Will the ProV1 cost you distance off the tee and off the irons? Quite possibly. It depends on your ball flight and the amount of spin that you can generate. The ProV1 will definitely cost the high spin player a little distance because it spins too much for them. The ProV1x is the ball for a higher spin player, and when played by that player will still have plenty of spin for approach and greenside shots. I have a very steep swing plane with the irons, and the ProV1 has far too much spin for me to get a consistent flight with them....they tend to balloon and are a huge handicap into the wind.

Great avatar :clapping:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Benefiting from "premium" ball has to do with knowing how you impact the ball with each club. Many golfers use and benefit from ProV's around the greens even with short irons, but don't with long irons or woods because they don't compress the ball enough. All that likely means though is loosing maybe 3-15yds; length of course might be a consideration. That said, there's a big difference between 90's - low 100's in swing speed, and there's a SS difference between irons and woods.

Also to many golfers compare themselves to others, that's a mistake. Many of the people I tee it up with do not hit the ball or score like I do, and yet a buddy that plays NXT tour consistently out drives me. The key is I don't care what others do or choose equipment wise.

If you think a ball is costing you off the tee play two balls for 18 holes, which I've done many times. Try ProV and NXT tour for comparison and see; it's a good ball. As for your "ix" suggestion if you are not maximizing a regular ProV (which is softer) it's highly unlikely you'll benefit from "ix", which I play, and is a harder low spin distance ball.

Played a few Tour IX's today as well as a couple of ProV1x's...I noticed no difference between the two in distance but could tell that the prov1x gave me more greenside control and spin....I pulled back quite a few Prov1x's.....We played 18 at a Palmer course and then played another 9 afterwards.....i played a few different balls after my first shot on each hole and the ProV1x looks like a nice fit. Thanks.

• 5 years later...

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1409450090' post='10038219'][quote name='TitleistGolfer98' timestamp='1409447919' post='10038071']
Use the pro v1x it has less spin and won't cost you any distance. Sounds like it'll fit u perfect
[/quote]
You do realis the posts you are replying to are over 5 years old?[/quote]

Haha didn't even notice I was just searching around on the site for prov1 vs prov1x stuff

[quote name='TitleistGolfer98' timestamp='1409450189' post='10038231']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1409450090' post='10038219'][quote name='TitleistGolfer98' timestamp='1409447919' post='10038071']
Use the pro v1x it has less spin and won't cost you any distance. Sounds like it'll fit u perfect
[/quote]
You do realis the posts you are replying to are over 5 years old?[/quote]

Haha didn't even notice I was just searching around on the site for prov1 vs prov1x stuff
[/quote]
Easy mistake to make as that question about ProVs spinning too much is totally relevant to current ball.

I use Pro V1x almost exclusively now and I absolutely hate the Pro V1. I spin this ball so much I lose 1/2 to a full club on my irons. Into a breeze, I could lose more. My ball flight, especially with pw-7 iron goes 25% higher or more. But with the Pro V1x my flight is true and flat. I do impart a lot of spin on the ball so the lower spin balls have always been better for me. The Pro V 1 is a great ball for a player that needs/wants that extra spin. I believe Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker all play the Pro V1 so it'd being used by the best as well. Just whatever fits your game.

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1409450916' post='10038293']
I use Pro V1x almost exclusively now and I absolutely hate the Pro V1. I spin this ball so much I lose 1/2 to a full club on my irons. Into a breeze, I could lose more. My ball flight, especially with pw-7 iron goes 25% higher or more. But with the Pro V1x my flight is true and flat. I do impart a lot of spin on the ball so the lower spin balls have always been better for me. The Pro V 1 is a great ball for a player that needs/wants that extra spin. I believe Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker all play the Pro V1 so it'd being used by the best as well. Just whatever fits your game.

DR
[/quote]
You have to take into account that the tour guys play very stiff low flight shafts and blades so they can keep the flight down and can get away with hitting the regular ProVs without ballooning. But having said that there would still be far more tour players using the x than the regular ProV.