toughest course you've played

I havent played any course with faiways as narrow as robinson ranch. if u miss the fairways pretty much you're ball is gone.

http://www.robinsonranchgolf.com

Robinson Ranch Valley slope 149/6903yrds

lost canyons is another one where if u miss the fairway, consider pulling another ball from your bag but the fairways arent as narrow as robinson ranch but when its windy the fairway becomes narrower russian_roulette.gif . you'll be lucky to get a flat lie on this course.

http://www.lostcanyons.com/golf_shadow_course.php

slope 149/7005 yrds

http://www.lostcanyons.com/golf_sky_course.php

slope 147/7285 yrds

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played many courses outside of my hometown but Crandon Park in Key Biscayne is impossible with 30 mph winds coming off the ocean. Its 7300 yards, nationwide plays there and I think they do q-school there. Ocean on every hole pretty much.

The other one would be the Blue Monster at Doral. Played there the other day and the wind almost blew my clothes off. Disaster. Not to mention you lose the ball in the rough on every hole.

Not my favorite course, actually i really hate the course, but Alpine CC in NJ is an F****N B****H...not long at all maybe 6800, but i am convinced Tillinghast was drunk when he created the course, because it is impossible to make putts on that golf course...every green is unfairly sloping and being above the hole, you'll be happy with a two putt....now i know courses such as Kiawah and Pine Valley are incredibly hard, but atleast they are fair and beautiful courses...this course is unfair, boring, you'd have to pay me to play it

I've been fortunate enough to have played a number of the courses mentioned here. There's one course that stands heads and shoulders above the ones I've played as far as the toughest and it is the Ocean Course. I'm a 6 handicap and my best friend is a 3 and several years ago we went down to SC and played Kiawah. From what I understand the course has been tamed a bit since we played it a number of years ago. When we played back then I struck the ball as well as I can for the most part and shot a 93 and my bud who had a bit of a struggle shot 123. The outside guys at the course told me my score was one of the better scores that day. I don't want to wish my life away but I really look forward to the PGA in 2012 at the Ocean Course! If I remember right, there's a Fred Couples scorecard from the Ryder Cup there at a restaurant and he shot an 88 and won his match!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='toddnt' date='03 August 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1249319322' post='1861500']
Torrey Pines South: Sheer length of course, thick and long rough, wind off ocean and hitting 3I and 3W into par 4's!
[/quote]

That course definitely plays about 400 yards longer than the yardage. Might be the hardest ive played

[quote name='jon2' date='11 November 2009 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1257992161' post='2059306']
[quote name='falken19150' post='2059050' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:21 PM'][quote name='ProPaul' post='1921243' date='Aug 29 2009, 07:08 AM']

(1) The Bridges Golf Club, San Ramon Ca.

I played a Nationwide qualifier at the Bridges a few months ago for the TPC Stonebrae event, out of about 100+ touring pros there were maybe 3 rounds under par.[/b]

I was just about to put this one down also. It is stupid hard and almost a gimmick.[/quote][/quote]
:lol:

Most people say it's so hard it's stupid and they want to burn the place down.
[/quote]

Its just stupid, and it needs to be burned down, and I hope wente vineyards goes up in the blaze too. Heard the round was 6 and a half hours by the end of the qualifier at the bridges

[quote name='LUgolfer' date='06 January 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1262818786' post='2165529']
I participated in last years US Amateur at Southern Hills. Unbelievably hard course when under the USGA set up. Greens ran around 14 with insain amounts of slope. Fairways were an average of only 25-30 yards wide so accuracy was a key. All in all an amazing course
[/quote]

Ive got to say any course under a usga is the hardest you can play. At least the USGA event i played, that course was so much harder than normal, it was ridiculous. Firmness of greens, 25-30 yard fairways, and a true 12-13 on the stimpmeter are definitely eye opening. Nothing like taking that first putt on the practice green when you get there and putting it in the rough. And usually the rough is pretty brutal, but not always.

My list of toughest courses would be

Winged Foot
USGA event
Olympic Club (Lake)
Wolf Creek
Torrey Pines
Bandon Trails
TPC Stadium, PGA West
Crosswater (Oregon)
Old Industry Hills (Ike) from the Tips
Mission Viejo Country Club, aka mission impossible

In the wind, Bandon Dunes is up there, played that in 30-35 mph wind from the 7200 tees, at least until i got kicked off them after the 12th hole. Apparently $225 dollars doesnt allow you to play the tees you want. Great Course, pain in the a** people who run it. But anyway, think i hit 3 drivers on par 3s, and a 3-4 driver drivers on par 4s. Thats difficult

Winged Foot- small, heavily sloped greens with narrow fairways. And obviously pretty long. Didnt get to play it with the thick long rough that makes it famous. Supposed to be unbelievably difficult to get out of.

Olympic Club- Tiny very firm greens make it difficult, and its current yardage of a san francisco 7150 yards makes it really long. Its supposed to be able to be stretched out to 7250 by the open as well. They took out a lot of trees though over the years, made it easier in my opinion.

Wolf Creek- one of my favorite courses and a ton of fun, not sure whats tougher though, finding the back teeboxes or the golf course. Once you know where to hit it, its a lot easier though. But man, you cant believe some of those teeshots until you actually see them. They look so ridiculously small.

Bandon Trails- Pure greens, but unbelievably hard to read. think i had a putt that broke 5 different ways once.

I have played Bandon, Whistling Straits, Torrey Pines, Wolf Creek....and even Erin Hills....all from the tips, because you just have to. They were all pretty challenging. This will sound bizarre, but the hardest I've played is Texarkana Golf Ranch in Texarkana, Texas. Man....its got length, rolling fairways with cross-slope, tiered greens that are fast as hell, two (2) par threes that are 230 yards over water to a nearly island green

Striking the ball well, my best ever is 81. Slope is 140 something. Anyone familiar with this beast?

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

back in 1974, I played a little resort course in Sandstone MN, the name says it all, only nine holes and did I mention the greens were sand. More like a bocce course than grass. I was young and brave and after nine holes my putting was off for the next month.

Collindale Golf course in Fort Collins, Co. It is a flat boring course which makes it hard to stay focused and concentrate, but there is a ton of trees if you hit your tee shot anything but perfect you are in the trees, sometimes your ball can even get stuck in the trees. I really hate the course, but it's so close that I play it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Bethpage Black about 20 times BEFORE the overhaul for the US Open in 2002. That course was not manicured at all back then and it was harder than the conditions today. The greens now are fantastic and most of the "wild areas" have been tamed. The first time I played it , you had to carry the ball at least 240 before you got to the fairway

Oak Tree National Edmond, OK my home course. But then again with a slope of 155 and rating of 79.3 it is rated as the most difficult course in the continental US. Not to mention Pete Dye says its his favorite inland design.

[url="http://www.oaktreenational.com/index.php/course/"]http://www.oaktreenational.com/index.php/course/[/url]

[quote name='dncfry' date='29 June 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1277834091' post='2544827']
Collindale Golf course in Fort Collins, Co. It is a flat boring course which makes it hard to stay focused and concentrate, but there is a ton of trees if you hit your tee shot anything but perfect you are in the trees, sometimes your ball can even get stuck in the trees. I really hate the course, but it's so close that I play it all the time.
[/quote]

This is my practice course when in Colorado due to the great chipping area. The course is not hard at all imho. Idk the yardages or slope but I can say the course feels really really short to me. The greens aren't hard at all besides maybe the 18th if you end up above the hole in August *shudders* besides, there's plenty of room for awry teeshots because the fairways are pretty huge. even if you get in the trees they're so far apart that you usually can punch out and cut off at least 100 yards on your approach.

all in all South Ridge is a 20x more difficult course and I've made it my new home course for actually playing. South Ridge is actually a decent challenge because of the greens.

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='01 June 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1275424442' post='2480552']
When the black tees are back and the wind is up, Gaylord Springhouse is HARD.
A close second is Nashboro village from the back with the wind.
[/quote]

Gaylord Springs is tough, but IMO not nearly as difficult as Nashville Golf & Athletic Club at a 76.2 and 140 slope and one of the toughest holes in the country. Vanderbilt Legends South Course is very tough from the tips as well, not too bad from the blue tees though.

You guys got nothing on Country Hills. IF they cut the greens and roll them, they will get close to 19 on the stimp. Yes. 19. Illegal, unfair, whatever. These greens are so sloping, you'll be happy with a three putt if you're going downhill from ten feet They put the pins in places where the ball CANNOT stop. I had a downhill putt from ten feet that I BARELY tapped. It ended up 110 yards away from the green.
But like I said, that's IF they cut the greens. If they don't cut them, it's an easy course. The slopes of the greens make that 19 on the stimp feel even faster. But I think the pro told me they only cut them like THAT once or twice a year.

Definitely the National in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada. Its a private course and in routinely the number 1 course in Canada. Fairways are narrow, never have a level lie, many hills and fescue everywhere. Ive been privileged to play there a few times, its the most upper class club Ive ever been to,high end Mercedes and BMWs in the parking lot are "average" cars compared to the Porches, ferraris etc. Simply a great course.

[quote name='hoganfan924' date='21 June 2009 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1245618286' post='1770353']
I haven't played too many Championship caliber courses from the tips, but the toughest I have is:

Shepherd's Hollow holes 10-27 in Clarkston, Mi. about 7300 yds.

76.1 rating and 144 slope. Cut through the forest, very few parallel fairways. Fairways are wide but there's no intermediate cut of rough and wild tee shots are lost.

Beautiful Arthur Hills course with nice elevation changes. Has a couple of goofy holes on 19-27 though.
[/quote]

Yes. Nightmarish the first time you play it. Lost many drives not knowing the fairway just ran into trouble.

2024 Bag TBD

Quail Hollow. Played it in tournament condition from the tips. I swear they are trying to get a US open bid. 6 inch rough, narrow landing areas, 7400+ yards. The green on #8 is 9 paces wide after they redid it for the tournament play! UGH!!! At the time I was 15 and a 3 index and playing phenomenal golf. I shot an 84.

[quote name='MJBGOLFPRO' timestamp='1274898482' post='2468736']
The Shattuck GC, jaffery, nh . toughest short course! Hold course record 65!
[/quote]

65 from pretty much any tee there is impressive. Nice shooting!
I grew up in Jaffrey and lived 1 mile from the course and played it every day growing up, my best was only 73 from the whites. We used to go down there at dusk and walk thru the woods with grocery bags to pick up all the lost balls. I remember having two 5 gallon paint buckets full of golf balls just after a few weeks. Set up a little stand after the bridge on #13 tee box selling them back to the players. I miss that place.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

PGA West, Stadium. Can make you want to quit the game of golf. If you have a hangover or your game is a little shakey, you would have a lot more fun driving over and playing Indian Springs.

Broadmoor East, the setup they had for the Senior Open last year was pretty brutal. Some of the toughest greens I have putted on.