toughest course you've played

Often gets overlooked cuz Blackwolf and Whistling Straits are right dowm the road but The Bull at Pinehurst Farms is IMO the hardest course in WI. 7354 yards with a rating of 76.3. You can lose it so fast out there you dont even know what happened. O and it was a bull farm named Pinehurst Farms before the other Pinehurst was founded in NC.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1245567884' post='1769637']
fore me it was southern dunes out in Maricopa, AZ

Lots of bunkers, lots of crazy native grasses and desert

Do the course flyover!

[url="http://www.golfsoutherndunes.com/"]http://www.golfsoutherndunes.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Southern Dunes from the tips with the wind blowing is a beast. I played LIGHTS OUT one day, carded a 79 and felt as good about it as my career best 70.

Pacific Dunes in heavy wind can be a tough track as well.

PGA West Stadium kicked my butt as well, but I haven't played it since I was a 15ish handicap so it is hard to say now.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

The Prince at Princeville HI, love to hate that course. It's lost some of it's shine do to poor upkeep over the years. I wonder if some of the HI guys feel this way also.

Wolf Creek in Mesquite, if it's windy forgetabout it, calm to light wind great course.

I had to laugh at Robinson Ranch f'n courses are so unfair, barranca on both sides of narrow fairways that roll a long way and shots that are right side or left side bounce into trouble more times than not.

PGA West Stadium tournament set up.

Industry Hills old layout.

"kevinhoran9" Old Industry Hills Ike, I try to explain to people the difference of new verses the old but they just don't see how it could be that much harder then now. Then I tell them the old course record was 71 not a great score and the record holder was FRED COUPLES and he held that record till 2003,nough said. The LPGA listened to their players and left because it was to hard.

Bandon Dunes, tournament tees, 7212, 76.8, slope 150. Played in the 2009 Oregon Am with 50 mph winds on the first day of stroke play. 6th hole was a 217 yard par-3. I hit a full driver and barely got to the green. Stroke average on that hole was double-bogey (Pacific ocean on left, deep swale with bushes and gorse on the right).

Shot 84 on that day. Lowest score that afternoon was 82. The morning rounds (with no wind) had scores of 2 under.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

PGA West Stadium from the tips, 76.1/150 @7294. It's an adventure in self-control.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='bjfed' timestamp='1281912522' post='2640228']
Often gets overlooked cuz Blackwolf and Whistling Straits are right dowm the road but The Bull at Pinehurst Farms is IMO the hardest course in WI. 7354 yards with a rating of 76.3. You can lose it so fast out there you dont even know what happened. [color="#FF0000"]O and it was a bull farm named Pinehurst Farms before the other Pinehurst was founded in NC[/color].
[/quote]

I believe the " pinehurst farm" dates back 150 plus years..... while the "village of pinehurst" dates back to late 1890's

However, make no mistake, as far as "GOLF" is concerned...... they have been playing golf at Pinehurst Resort much longer then when The Bull golf course was build on the old Pinehurst Farm. The bull opened in 2003 as a Jack Nicklaus Signature design.

None the less, I'd love to play The Bull as well as most of the resort courses.

Carnoustie is my toughest;

1, Anything left of mid fairway kicks in to the burn. 2nd shot is dead left and right has no up and down. I`m a 260 average driver so 2nd shot is mid iron to Hybrid.
2. Avoid bunker mid fairway with luck. chop out if left or right. 200 yard 2nd shot. no up and down right. funnel bunker left.
3. Hybrid left or right of rough bunker centre fairway. Distance problem on 2nd shot. impossible to judge. short in burn or big is lost ball in thick rough. Oh 3 putt guaranteed crown green.
4. Long power fade rqd, left is drain bound. right is chop back, 2nd shot is nearly 200Y.
5, Fade 3 wood short of burn. no fade in bunker or right medium rough. 160 to go up hill. No up and down left. Kicks away right. Miniumum 3 putt green.
Hogans Alley. Hogans way is 30 yard gap. oob left, bunker right. right of bunker runs out of fairway. 2nd shot is toughest lay up on any par five. you need to get to neck to leave 140. neck is 25 y wide.
7. oob left chop out right. 180 left avoid bunker left.
8. 160 y p3. oob left of green. pot bunker right. best play big right on to tee. hard up and down though.
Railway. forest left. rough right. 3 wood 5 yrd draw is only shot. 200 y left. 3p long green

Now it gets tough apart from 11

South Americas. Make sure you hit longest straightest 10y draw you ever hit. lost ball for def left. right is heavy rough. 190y carry over burn. high lip bunker left. tree back in to burn right.
11. 3w and 7i
12. 3 shot p5.
13.170 y no room to stop. short left only shot on and try for up an down
Spectacles. Drive it straight or gather left in to bunkers or right in to gorse. 2nd shot needs to be the straightest highest truest 5w or hybrid you can muster. if not gorse bound it is.
15. best drive in world. 5 yrd draw 1w willonly suffice. gorse left of dense rough right. 2nd is tight 175 left. the only i repeat only line is left edge of green. a yard too left is bunkered. middle of green kicks right to an no up an down.
16. straight driver. left is ok but no up and down. right thick rough and loss of distance.
17. No then what to do! easy 1 straight. no fade or draw. either will be in burn. you are 20 y short of burn. lay up with 6i. do not pull out the glory 3w because the 225 left is gorse for anything right or left.
18. straight 3 hyrdid off the tee. lay up with a 5 i. pitch on from 80y. do not try 1w and 5w it will get wet both times!

Straight to caledonian for a calming pint.

You will love it. What an experience. You will have to play it again to make you believe how tough it is.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

i don't play on courses for leisure alot. most i practice on executive courses for junior tournaments. anyway, in one tournament i was at long island national golf course. blue tees (second farthest). in my opinion the blue tees are harder. every hazard was in play. one par 5 had a huge dip down, and then long grass and bunkers and then the new fairway started. There was water. it was winter and 30 degrees out. thick rough. really narrow fairways.

Wow,! I grew up in New Ipswich. What years were you up here? I was an assistant PGA professional there for some time.

[quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1280326216' post='2603864']
[quote name='MJBGOLFPRO' timestamp='1274898482' post='2468736']
The Shattuck GC, jaffery, nh . toughest short course! Hold course record 65!
[/quote]

65 from pretty much any tee there is impressive. Nice shooting!
I grew up in Jaffrey and lived 1 mile from the course and played it every day growing up, my best was only 73 from the whites. We used to go down there at dusk and walk thru the woods with grocery bags to pick up all the lost balls. I remember having two 5 gallon paint buckets full of golf balls just after a few weeks. Set up a little stand after the bridge on #13 tee box selling them back to the players. I miss that place.
[/quote]

Driver-TM Tour TP RBZ with GD Tour Ad sh
3Metal- TM Tour RBZ with matrix shaft
TM #3 Hybrid- Burner
Adams 4-GW CMB irons with Matrix shafts
TM ATV wedges- 54 and 60
TM spider with Super stroke slim

Interesting story. Played this course back in college at a University of Louisville event.

Persimmon Ridge Golf Course
7,113 yards, Par 72, 148 Slope, 75.4 Rating

The University of Louisville has a course on campus and it is pretty good. They also have access to Valhalla. However, they choose to play their home tournament Persimmon Ridge. I think the yardage, slope and ratings are off. When we played the event I remember it being over 7,300 yards, so the 7,113 is not from the tips. The average round of golf in the tournament was well over 74. This was no chump tournament, this has Indiana in its heyday, Michigan, Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and many other top teams from the late 90's.

To this day, probably the toughest course I've played outside of Pebble in US Open conditions in 2000.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 w/ D+ 62x
3 Metal: Cobra Bio Cel+ 3/4 @ 12.5* X
4 Wood: Cally SH 4 w/ Grafalloy Epic 90x
Irons: 4-PW Snake Eyes 685X
Putter: Never Compromise Sub 30 type 50
Scratch Wedges:49* DW, 53* & 58*

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gonna have to say Tot Hill Farms......Me and one of the assistants I'm interning under took a trip out to play & hitting from the tips off hole #1 you have no idea where the hole goes. Green on hole #8 is insane.....I could sit there all day long hitting chips/putts off of the slope on the backside!!!!

PING G410 LST 9* w/Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70x
PING G410 5w, -1.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana 80x
PING iBlades 3-PW w/DG X100
PING Glide Forged 50,54,60 w/DG X100
PING Cushin, Wrx Special ;) 

Wow, some fantastic courses you've all played!

My top five in no particular order:

1. Bethpage Black
2. Carnoustie
3. Kiawah Island
4. Bay Hill (right after the PGA Tour event in 2009)
5. Winged Foot (right after 2006 US Open)

Sheer length and healthy breeze killed me at Bethpage Black and Winged Foot (I was dumb enough to try from Open tees on both courses). The rough also was too tough at Winged Foot.
Bay Hill the fairways were so narrow and the rough was so juicy...only goes to show how good these pros are.
Kiawah was just stupid difficult with the wind and ridiculous rough.
Carnoustie I was just in awe I was playing in the U.K. and on such a famous venue. I played two balls on 18 and the second ball I hit 3 eight-irons onto the green and made a 4 :D.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Koolau in Oahu, Hawaii

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

• 9 months later...

Wow, some fantastic courses you've all played!

My top five in no particular order:

1. Bethpage Black

2. Carnoustie

3. Kiawah Island

4. Bay Hill (right after the PGA Tour event in 2009)

5. Winged Foot (right after 2006 US Open)

Sheer length and healthy breeze killed me at Bethpage Black and Winged Foot (I was dumb enough to try from Open tees on both courses). The rough also was too tough at Winged Foot.

Bay Hill the fairways were so narrow and the rough was so juicy...only goes to show how good these pros are.

Kiawah was just stupid difficult with the wind and ridiculous rough.

Carnoustie I was just in awe I was playing in the U.K. and on such a famous venue. I played two balls on 18 and the second ball I hit 3 eight-irons onto the green and made a 4 :D.

i bet Van de Velde would pay the £350,000 he didnt win for that score! cheesy.gif

Karsten Creek
OSU's home course
77.2 rating 152 slope
Played Golfweek Preview and NCAA Champ there. Hard as hell

Old Memorial Golf Club
Tampa Florida
Thought it was tough, wind blowing 30 +, until Camileo shot 62 right behind me in the tourney to beat Bubba Dickerson.

Kiawa Island. Easy til the wind blows, then you won't finish the last few.

Trinitas in Valley Springs Ca.
Made me want to quit! Greens stimping about 13, didn't hit a driver until the back 9...just a brutal course. They held the high school sections there and there were a lot of scores in the triple digits.

Championship 73.3 149
Back 72.3 147

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

[quote name='dubbie' timestamp='1245585673' post='1769742']
Wolf Run in Indianapolis when it first opened. If you didn't hit it in the narrow fairways it was gone. Most penal course I have ever played. They have since made it a bit more friendly, so it isn't nearly as difficult, but it isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination.
[/quote]

Agreed. Hardest course I have every played.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Ocean Course and Crosswater both came immediately to mind, and are rated as difficult.

I'll give honorable mention to the Bear at Grand Traverse though. I'm terrible with uneven lies and there's plenty there.

I haven't been there in forever and since it became Trump National LA, but I remember playing Ocean Trails and having a terrible go of it. It was the type of course that if you miss the fairway you are in the stuff...not for me!