2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Was Tigers drop on 11 today legal?

Really ... I believe we need a seperate rule for Tiger. He should be required to carry a long piece of string that is precisely two driver lengths in his bag, along with some powedered chalk. Should he need to get relief, any spectators and any officials or caddies must stay at least 20 feet away from where the drop might take place. When Tiger arrives at the location, he should then tie one end of the string to a tee, that he places in the ground at the point where the ball crossed a hazard. He should then stretch the string to its full length, and, being careful to stay outside of the circumference, move in a circle described by the string, laying down a chalk line as he goes (but making certain the chalk never moves to a place any closer to the hole) ... describing the entire area in which it would be legal to drop. Then, making certain to stand outside of that marked area, he should stretch his hand over the area and take the drop.

And there would still be people who would resent that he would be the only pro to do it that way. :rolleyes:

IMO, all of the people calling up the networks to call alleged rules violations on PGA or LPGA Tour competitors are doing so to inject themselves in the contest. Also IMO, the networks should have a policy of refusing to take such calls.

You may not have any idea just how difficult it is to become a USGA rules official. I know someone who is quite intelligent, but she has taken the test and failed at least five times. The Rules of Golf (and, especially, the Decisions addendum) are so convoluted that most people I know of wouldn't pass the exam.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger was a good 30-40 seconds behind Williams getting to the ball. Williams talked to the officials who were there and determined that Tiger's ball was unplayable. Williams moved to the area where the ball last crossed the hazard, sat the bag down, and stood there waiting for Tiger to arrive. During the next few minutes, Williams moved himself and the bag back several steps giving Tiger more room to drop the ball. Tiger marked his 2 club length relief in front of the area where Williams had previously been standing and continued looking around on the ground. He then looked at the area where Williams had been standing and repositioned his 2 club length relief. He then dropped in the area where Williams had been standing.

Alot of folks are seemingly getting into intent while discussing this. I am not. To do that would be impossible.

Tiger Woods has always been a great example of how one should play golf (his expletives excluded) and I would in no way ever question his honor in trying to do the right thing. He is far too talented to worry about a little bit of grass being around his ball when he dropped it. I am only saying what happened. The area around the relief position was very narrow with the bunker being so close to the hazard. To me it was sloppy of Williams to get so close to the area where Tiger was needing to take relief.

Stevie was just looking for a place to put down his bib. :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I think some are missing my original point. He hit it in the hazard, I realize that. He gets 2 club lengths, I realize that too. But "normally" after you take your 2 club lengths, you stand behind or to the side of the 2 club lengths "area" to look for a good spot to drop. Drop it and the ball rolls into a good lie, great for you. But he did not do that. My point is then he takes two club lengths again backwards to where he was just walking around and then takes a drop, thereby giving himself a better lie. I didn't realize the rules allow you to "re-adjust" your 2 club lengths to drop where you were just standing. It may not be illegal, but it's shady.

Its not shady, there is nothing against what happened. They walked through that area to get to the ball like any and everyone else would have. I suppose when you hit a ball into the hazard you make sure to make a really big circle around the area you will be dropping in huh? What if Tiger would have been in a situation where he would have taken the point where the ball crossed the hazard and went back 15 or 20 yards after he and Stevie just walked through there? I guess he would have been cheating then as well. Someone is ALWAYS wanting to call cheat on another like they have just caught them. Good for you!

IDK guys, I'm usually one of those that says to let the guys play and not get too caught up in rules watching on tourneys, but that situation with Tiger and Steve Williams needs to be looked at by the PGA rules officials. I recorded the tournament this afternoon and was looking at the telecast a few minutes ago. Williams was clearly standing in the same area Tiger subsequently used as a drop area. You can get a bearing on it by the brownish line of grass. Tiger obviously saw something with the grass that made him reposition his 2 club length relief.

So I guess he was supposed to float so the grass was not disturbed by his feet. Did Tiger telepathically tell Steve to trampled down some grass so he had a good place to drop the ball?

New GolfWRX.com forum unofficial rule: Sit on your couch, have a beer, enjoy watching great golfers play, and Let the PGA tour rules officials do their job!

Yet another 'Tiger can do no wrong' !!

Look, you CANNOT clean the ground where you are about to drop a ball on to - in the same way you CANNOT walk over an area to deaden grass that you are about to drop a ball onto - IT IS IMPROVING A LIE!!!

RULES MEN ARE NOT THE ALL SEEING ORACLES - If Tiger walked over an area away from where he was dropping, then its no problem - BUT if he remeasures and THEN drops onto the same area he has walked - then that is at best gamesmanship and at worse - cheating !

Unless they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure you can remove loose impediments from the area you are about to drop into before dropping. I don't know if this is what you meant by "clean the ground".

Also I haven't seen what happened, but I don't think there is anything wrong with remeasuring your two club lengths. As far as if he trampled the grass and improved the area, I'm pretty sure almost all the guys out there use little tricks like this that the rules don't prevent, plus you are always going to try and drop into the best lie that you can.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

After re-watching it on tape - it looked suspicious. He takes 2 club lengths, then stands behind and to the side of his original 2 club lengths. After walking around for a minute, he re-does his 2 club lengths and now drops on the area where he was just standing - with the grass now being tamped down from his feet. He drops the ball there and gets a better lie than he would have had originally. I'm not sure if it's illegal but it is definitely shady.

fishing much? your retarded

IDK guys, I'm usually one of those that says to let the guys play and not get too caught up in rules watching on tourneys, but that situation with Tiger and Steve Williams needs to be looked at by the PGA rules officials. I recorded the tournament this afternoon and was looking at the telecast a few minutes ago. Williams was clearly standing in the same area Tiger subsequently used as a drop area. You can get a bearing on it by the brownish line of grass. Tiger obviously saw something with the grass that made him reposition his 2 club length relief.

So I guess he was supposed to float so the grass was not disturbed by his feet. Did Tiger telepathically tell Steve to trampled down some grass so he had a good place to drop the ball?

New GolfWRX.com forum unofficial rule: Sit on your couch, have a beer, enjoy watching great golfers play, and Let the PGA tour rules officials do their job!

Look, you CANNOT clean the ground where you are about to drop a ball on to - in the same way you CANNOT walk over an area to deaden grass that you are about to drop a ball onto - IT IS IMPROVING A LIE!!!

RULES MEN ARE NOT THE ALL SEEING ORACLES - If Tiger walked over an area away from where he was dropping, then its no problem - BUT if he remeasures and THEN drops onto the same area he has walked - then that is at best gamesmanship and at worse - cheating !

Unless they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure you can remove loose impediments from the area you are about to drop into before dropping. I don't know if this is what you meant by "clean the ground".

you could not be anymore wrong!

See rule 13 (2) and look at the Decisions .... taking a drop you cannot touch a damn thing - EVEN THE PLUG MARK YOUR BALL LEFT IMPRINTED when you get a free drop for embedded ball!!

Sand, mud etc must be left alone.. this rule has, as far as i remember, been in force.

This is why the original poster has some essence of truth in his post - if the 'dropping' ground was altered or improved prior to a drop, then it IS a penalty.... and I dont really care that Rules guy was there they are not always right...

OK, I stood 15 feet from him when it happened. He hit his tee shot into a red staked lateral hazard. As such, he located the point where the ball crossed the hazard line and marked it. He measured 2 club lengths from that point, no closer to the hole. He didn't like it so he measured two club lengths at a slightly different angle to get a better stance. The second spot was actually farther away than the first.

As long as he's no closer to the hole, he could drop at any point two club length's from the point where it crossed the hazard line.

THANK YOU! SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE TO END THIS BS.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

Only problem with all this second guessing is the drop that I saw didn't look to me to land in any area of grass that was trampled on. The ball hit fluffy grass, took a small bounce, and landed on more fluffy grass where he had a decent lie.....so what? Tiger was +5 on the 11th this week, what more does the field want? 10 strokes?

Didn't they all have to play the 11th hole? What does the fact that Tiger was +5 on 11 have to do with anything?

Obviously doesn't have anything to do with the drop. Yeah ... the whole field has to play the 11th. Also, the whole field (and their caddies, and even sometimes rules officials themselves) - when it has to take a drop - commonly walks around on the grass where the ball will ultimately be dropped. Not for any ill intentions, but merely to scope the shot. Point is ... somehow when Tiger does what everyone else on tour commonly does, it is looked at in this ridiculously minute detail, becomes "illegal" at worst (even though it is done in front of a rules official), or "shady" at best.

So while not strictly relevent, I certainly understand the sentiment of "good grief, what do people want?".

At least somebody got the point.

What are the tiger haters looking for? A DQ?

See rule 13 (2) and look at the Decisions .... taking a drop you cannot touch a damn thing - EVEN THE PLUG MARK YOUR BALL LEFT IMPRINTED when you get a free drop for embedded ball!!

Sand, mud etc must be left alone.. this rule has, as far as i remember, been in force.

This is why the original poster has some essence of truth in his post - if the 'dropping' ground was altered or improved prior to a drop, then it IS a penalty.... and I dont really care that Rules guy was there they are not always right...

I read the rule and it says nothing about removing loose impediments. You CAN remove loose impediments from the area you are about to drop into. What it says you can't do is improve any immovable or fixed impediments, or fix any turf conditions, but nothing about loose impediments. If Tiger were to remove leaves and other loose things on the ground prior to dropping, no penalty. Pressing down turf where a drop is about to occur is against the rules, but there is no way to prove this was Tiger's intent no matter how it looks. The player gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, I believe. If there was a rules official there watching I see no way you can have any problem with the situation.

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

I read the rule and it says nothing about removing loose impediments. You CAN remove loose impediments from the area you are about to drop into. What it says you can't do is improve any immovable or fixed impediments, or fix any turf conditions, but nothing about loose impediments. If Tiger were to remove leaves and other loose things on the ground prior to dropping, no penalty. Pressing down turf where a drop is about to occur is against the rules, but there is no way to prove this was Tiger's intent no matter how it looks. The player gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, I believe. If there was a rules official there watching I see no way you can have any problem with the situation.

You can move loose impediments, that much I am sure off. And to answer an earlier post, the issue was not Stevie, or the rules official or even Tiger walking to where the ball was and stepping on the grass. It was after he took 2 club lengths, he walked around looking for a place to drop the ball. He then takes 2 clubs again so he can drop where he was just walking around and matting down the grass. That was the issue. And the emotional responses to this thread trying to defend someone you have never met and will never meet suprises me. This was never about Tiger (I have met Tiger a few times and he seems like a decent guy). I would have put this out there regardless of who it was, AK, Camille, etc.. Mods you can close this thread.

+1, it would have been against the rules to conciously step behind the ball to improve the lie, as many do on the tee box. I am not sure walking around an area constitutes a strong case but I do understand someone questioning it. However if there was a rules official already onsite he should have instructed all to stay off the area if that would be an infraction.

Only problem with all this second guessing is the drop that I saw didn't look to me to land in any area of grass that was trampled on. The ball hit fluffy grass, took a small bounce, and landed on more fluffy grass where he had a decent lie.....so what? Tiger was +5 on the 11th this week, what more does the field want? 10 strokes?

Didn't they all have to play the 11th hole? What does the fact that Tiger was +5 on 11 have to do with anything?

Obviously doesn't have anything to do with the drop. Yeah ... the whole field has to play the 11th. Also, the whole field (and their caddies, and even sometimes rules officials themselves) - when it has to take a drop - commonly walks around on the grass where the ball will ultimately be dropped. Not for any ill intentions, but merely to scope the shot. Point is ... somehow when Tiger does what everyone else on tour commonly does, it is looked at in this ridiculously minute detail, becomes "illegal" at worst (even though it is done in front of a rules official), or "shady" at best.

So while not strictly relevent, I certainly understand the sentiment of "good grief, what do people want?".

At least somebody got the point.

What are the tiger haters looking for? A DQ?

Gosh, never been called a "Tiger Hater" before. What exactly does one have to do to be classified as one? Just question something that happened during the course of a tournament? Man, the venom.

I'm actually a big fan of Tiger. He's arguably the greatest golfer of all time and conducts himself with class, both on and off the course. The issue here is a valid one. Did the ground on which Tiger made his drop become improved as a result of his caddie standing in the same area? I don't understand all the name calling (ie. retarded, etc.) by some on here.

The rules of golf as they apply here are very specific. See Rule 13-2 on the USGA website. To paraphrase it states that the player should not improve or allow to be improved the lie of the ball or the area of his intended stance or swing or the area in which he is to drop or place his ball by moving, bending, or breaking anything growing.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about a player's "intentions."

I could cut/paste it but the USGA is specific that should not be done.

RULE 13 (2)

IMPROVING LIE; AREA OF INTENDED SWING

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball,

• the area of his intended stance or swing,

• his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or

the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,

by any of the following actions:

• pressing a club on the ground,

• moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including immovable obstructions and objects defining out of bounds),

• creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,

• removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut turf placed in position, or

• removing dew, frost or water.

However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:

• in grounding the club lightly when addressing the ball,

• in fairly taking his stance,

• in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club for a stroke and the stroke is made,

• in creating or eliminating irregularities of surface within the teeing ground (Rule 11-1) or in removing dew, frost or water from the teeing ground, or

• on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in repairing damage (Rule 16-1).

Exception: Ball in hazard –

I am of course assuming that the Rules of Golf are Universal and there are no glaring differences from the Rand A in Scotland and the PGA's American version? - if not, then this is th e Rule as it stands.

You take a drop and no marks can be repaired; divots done; sand brushed; pine cones thrown etc etc - you play the drop as nature intended when you arrived at the ball!

RULE 13 (2)

• moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including immovable obstructions and objects defining out of bounds),

• removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut turf placed in position, or

• in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club for a stroke and the stroke is made,

• in creating or eliminating irregularities of surface within the teeing ground (Rule 11-1) or in removing dew, frost or water from the teeing ground, or

• on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in repairing damage (Rule 16-1).

I am of course assuming that the Rules of Golf are Universal and there are no glaring differences from the Rand A in Scotland and the PGA's American version? - if not, then this is th e Rule as it stands.

You take a drop and no marks can be repaired; divots done; sand brushed; pine cones thrown etc etc - you play the drop as nature intended when you arrived at the ball!

I am not sure how this rule reads exactly. I guess maybe you can't move anything before the drop but you CAN move anything that isn't FIXED after the drop just as you can any other time in the fairway, rough, woods, etc.

It is inexperienced players or poorly skilled players who criticize questioning of a ruling.

As you point out, on course rules officials often times make errors. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning a ruling, whether it be a player, or on course spectator, or t.v. viewer, or internet forum participant. In fact it is expected and encouraged .

The OP brings up an excellent point, which is did Tiger improve his lie by walking all over his intended drop area.

I believe the answer is no. He looked at his original two club marking, did not like the line of play, then repeated his two club length marking with a new line of play. It is within the rules to do this , over and over if the player chooses, up until the point when the ball is dropped.

However it is illegal to intentionally try to improve the lie conditions of the ground for a forthcoming penalty drop, and this is the question raised by the OP. I did not see Tiger walk all over his drop area, but the question is a good one .

Well since the "Craig Stadler improving his lie with a towel" incident there are many situations that rules officials have missed intrepretations that average Joe's have questioned. I see no reason why someone can't question, as it normally helps clarify rules for them and others. One thing I can say is that Tiger will use the rules to his utmost advantage to win (see moving rock at the Open incident), however I can't see Tiger ever conciously breaking a rule.

I felt sorry for the original poster as I new the rest of the posts would be out to unnecessarily crucify him.

This is the point of the Rule which Stewart Cink violated at Harbour Town a few years back. Cink broke the Rule and PGA Tour official Slugger White covered it up. White should have been fired the Monday following that event, but he continues to be employed as Rules official. Truly disgraceful.

As for Cink, he should have done the right thing and penalized himself following his "playoff victory" video review of the incident. Sadly, Cink did not have the courage to do the right thing and he must live with the shame of his decision for the rest of his life.

RULE 13 (2)

RULE 13 (2)

Yes no marks can be repaired, or turf irregularities fixed, or sand brushed, but the rule still says nothing about LOOSE impediments. Those are not loose impediments described in that rule. You can remove leaves, sticks, pine cones, old bandages, etc., w/e may be considered a loose impediment, prior to dropping.

Edit: To clarify, please tell me which of those bolded categories a loose stick would classify as?

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

This is the point of the Rule which Stewart Cink violated at Harbour Town a few years back. Cink broke the Rule and PGA Tour official Slugger White covered it up. White should have been fired the Monday following that event, but he continues to be employed as Rules official. Truly disgraceful.

As for Cink, he should have done the right thing and penalized himself following his "playoff victory" video review of the incident. Sadly, Cink did not have the courage to do the right thing and he must live with the shame of his decision for the rest of his life.

RULE 13 (2)

I don't know what he did to be honest. Can you explain?

RULE 13 (2)

I think an "In my opinion" should have prefaced your remarks regarding the Cink incident. You are presenting your opinion as fact.

Cink called the rules official over BEFORE he removed the loose stones and asked him SPECIFICALLY what he could and could not do in that situation, according to the rules. This was shown on the "Top 10 Questionable Decisions" show on the Golf Channel, and they had the conversation on mike between Cink and the official who was present. Cink did exactly what the official said was allowable under the rules, with the official right there staring at it to make sure the ball did not move.

As a couple of people have said, if the official was there to make the call, it becomes NO violation, since there was a decision already provided to the player at the time.

I'm sure Stewart Cink (who probably lurks here, since he's a Twitter subscriber) is not losing any sleep at all over what you, or I, or anyone else thinks about the incident. He is secure in the knowledge that he called the official over and got a ruling before he did anything.

Whether the official erred is another question. But before we beat up on the official too much, maybe those of us who would should attend a USGA Rules Workshop -- and post their final test score for all of us to see. Then we could see which of us the USGA would assign to the US Open or any other tournament to provide rulings to the players -- on site, at the time, under the TV cameras' view. Preferably in High Definition.

Edited for lousy typing skills.

RULE 13 (2)

Cink drove into a waste area, onto a lie of pebbles. He asked for a ruling and an interpretation of what constituted "Loose Impediments" in this situation. He was told that the pebbles were loose impediments. He then asked if, since that was the case, he had a right to move them. He was told yes, and as long as the ball didn't move, he would not be penalized. He then took a pretty long time to remove the pebbles, just as though he was playing "pick-up-sticks", and by the time he was satisfied the ball was virtually teed up. He then made a good shot, and ultimately won the tournament in a playoff.

Cink had a soft, sandy, gravely type lie and he used his finger to dig a trench behind his ball. That was his violation of Rule 13-2.

On 16 at Harbour Town, a playoff hole, Cink pulled his tee shot left. As he walked off the tee box he asked Tour official Slugger White f he could remove loose impediments in a waste bunker. White answered "yes", which is correct. However when Cink got to his ball he knelt behind it and deliberately used his finger to dig a trench behind his ball and "build a lie". This was a violation of the Rules. The camera was on Cink and lots of t.v. viewers called in to report the violation. Unfortunately, official White had separated from Cink at the tee box (to watch the other player , Ted Purdy) and never did watch Cink's behavior at the ball.

Post round, due to all the phone calls as well as questions from the t.v. broadcast team, , both Cink and White watched a video replay. This was the chance for White to penalize Cink, but since he had talked to Cink at the tee box he presumably "felt bad" that he did not go with Cink to his ball in the waste bunker. White should have done the professional thing and penalized Cink, but instead he covered it up. For his part , after watching the video replay of himself, Cink should have admitted he did not understand the Rule, that he made a mistake, and he should have penalized himself.

It's fine for an Official or a player to make a mistake, it happens. But to have a chance to later make it right and instead choose to cover it up was disgraceful.

RULE 13 (2)

what?

This is so stupid..please put an end to this thread. I went to school with people that did not like tiger because of the color of his skin. Then when asked in public about tiger they had nothing but great things to say about the worlds number #1 golfer.

What? is right. That statement has zero relevance to this topic.

Tiger woods is my favorite golfer, I do not need to explain the obvious.

Once again, what???? Who cares who we are talking about, it has nothing to do with the situation, and the fact that he's your favorit golfer is even farther off topic. Only the actions of the player in that exact instance are important.

I think this forum needs a filter that converts 'Tiger' to some random other PGA player whenever it's included in a post. That way there is a chance people can discuss it with an open mind and not have to read 30 useless posts definding someone's hero.