2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most regular rule you see broken

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, tee shot, massive slice, its of course, gone. Next tee shot, same result, third or fourth finally in play. Hit to (near) the green chip, putt, putt, putt, and declare bogey..... End of the round, guy says, "Wow, our scores are so close. You are a 9 handicapp? I guess I must be pretty close to your handicapp".

If I hit a ball that ends up lost or OB. I'll drop with a 2 stroke penalty instead of returning to previous spot (or re-teeing). For the sake of time and pace of play.

Yeah, going back and re-teeing tends to pi$$ off the group behind you, not enough people remember to hit provisional balls.

The most common rule I see broken is people improving thier lie, the people in our group don't do it, we play for a little $$$ and do a pretty good job of sticking to the rules. It amazes me how often when people play with us for the first time how often out of reflex they start rolling the ball on the fairway to improve their lie, they do it so often they dont even think about it. When asked they always say something like "the pros always get perfect lies why shouldnt I?" First of all they don't, 2nd of all we are playing golf not a video game, and the first rule in golf is, play the ball as it lies. I swear some people have no idea how to hit a golf ball if it isn't either on a tee or fluffed up with a perfect lie.

As far as the comments about gimme putts, when playing in match play you can concede putts and record a score based on what you would have likely scored on the hole.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hmmm, tee shot, massive slice, its of course, gone. Next tee shot, same result, third or fourth finally in play. Hit to (near) the green chip, putt, putt, putt, and declare bogey..... End of the round, guy says, "Wow, our scores are so close. You are a 9 handicapp? I guess I must be pretty close to your handicapp".

LOL!!! I've played with "That Guy" as well!!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The most blatant rule-break that I commit on a regular basis is picking the ball out of the cup before it has come to rest. I feel like, for a recreational round, in is in, that ball is not going to leave the cup on it's own.

Sorry to disappoint you but you haven't broken a rule. The ball does not need to come to a complete stop in the bottom of the cup to be holed. The definition in the rules is for the ball that went in on the fly but did not stay in the hole. The ball that rolled in and hit the liner and bounced back out. The power lip out, etc.

If it is in the cup rolling around at the bottom pick it up, it IS holed.

16/5.5 Player Holes Short Putt and Allegedly Removes Ball from Hole Before It Is at Rest

Q. A player strikes a short putt into the hole and removes the ball from the hole. His opponent or a fellow-competitor claims he heard the ball bouncing in the bottom of the hole-liner at the time the player was removing the ball from the hole, and therefore the ball cannot be considered holed in view of the Definition of "Holed" which states: "A ball is holed when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole...." What is the ruling?

A. The ball is holed. The words "at rest" are in the Definition of "Holed" to make it clear that if a ball falls below the lip and thereafter bounces out, it is not holed.

#1 in my book is "asking for or receiving advice". Pretty much anytime someone flags a shot on a par-3, someone in our group says: "nice shot, what'd you hit there?"

#2 is not holing out and taking gimme tap ins, usually to save time and for pace of play.

I was surprised to see the "touching the ball at address" I don't see that happening in the group of guys I play with.

NOT SURE IF NOS 2 AND 3 ARE RULES PROBLEMS.

If putts are conceded then that is part of match play, in stroke play, I only see putts holed out not given.... and touching the ball is not a problem unless it moves from its original position .... or thats how I see it.

The most rules infringement I see is guys taking a practice swing say under a tree and a leaf or something is dislodge on the practice 'swipe' .. then they just hit the ball as if nothing happend.

And last of all - slow play -

I don't like slow play but how is that a rules violation?

Thanks

I will not believe that slow play is really a rules violation until I see players on the PGA Tour get penalized for it. The pace of a few of those guys is just ridiculous. I know they are playing for a bit of money, but come on.

The biggest violation in our group is "advice" whether yardages via a range finder or help with club selection. And of course we concede putts inside of a foot or so.

Kevin

Per the rules, giving yardage is not considered offering advice. Club selection is another story.

Cool. Learn something new every day. Thanks! :drinks:

Kevin

Yardages whether given on a sprinkler head or given via a laser finder or GPS unit is public knowledge and is not a rules violation.

this thread came to mind today when our foursome had money on the match today, cart vs cart with total gross score...

guy in the other cart, hit a questionable tee shot into trees on the left side... we figured he'd find it, but he couldn't find it when we get up there... now this guy is a STICKLER for the rules, and complains if people don't play by the rules...

to save time we told him he could drop on in the area that the ball was lost... well doesn't this guy drop on nearly out in the fairway with a clear line to the pin...? WTF...?

we ended up losing the match by 1 stroke, and i let him have it at the end... told him it was BS, and i'll never play for money with him again after that display...

i'm a sore loser in general, but this whole situation just really burned me up...

cause we were well ahead of him once i looked back and seen where he dropped...

i made mention of it after he made his way to the green, and he was all wishy washy about what score he had, he didn't know what he should take... in my mind at that point he should have been DQ'd from the money match and go from there...

normally this whole episode wouldn't have bothered me much, but this guy is such a rules stickler it really got into my crawl...

Order of play. Hands down.

-mini

In stroke play, isn't order of play an etiquette thing and not a rule? If I'm not mistaken, you can't be penalized or asked to replay the shot for playing out of order in a stroke play event.

The order of play is spelled out in the Rules. However, for stroke play there is usually no penalty for playing out of turn. That said, there are a couple of exceptions where playing out of turn is penalized.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but what are the couple of exceptions where playing out of turn is penalized in stroke play? I vividly remember Rory Sabbatini playing out of turn when he and Ben Crane were paired together, and he wasn't penalized.

Thanks.

Kevin

Playing out of turn doesn't automatically penalize you. The two exceptions are:

16-1f. Making Stroke While Another Ball in Motion

The player must not make a stroke while another ball is in motion after a stroke from the putting green, except that if a player does so, there is no penalty if it was his turn to play.

Rule 16 deals with the putting green. If the order of play is A, followed by B, followed by you and A putts and while his ball is moving you putt out of turn, then you would incurr a two stroke penalty (loss of hole in match play).

29-3. Stroke Play

If the partners make a stroke or strokes in incorrect order, such stroke or strokes are canceled and the side incurs a penalty of two strokes. ...

Rule 29 deals with threesomes and foursomes (sometimes referred to as alternate shot).

#1 in my book is "asking for or receiving advice". Pretty much anytime someone flags a shot on a par-3, someone in our group says: "nice shot, what'd you hit there?"

#2 is not holing out and taking gimme tap ins, usually to save time and for pace of play.

I was surprised to see the "touching the ball at address" I don't see that happening in the group of guys I play with.

NOT SURE IF NOS 2 AND 3 ARE RULES PROBLEMS.

If putts are conceded then that is part of match play, in stroke play, I only see putts holed out not given.... and touching the ball is not a problem unless it moves from its original position .... or thats how I see it.

The most rules infringement I see is guys taking a practice swing say under a tree and a leaf or something is dislodge on the practice 'swipe' .. then they just hit the ball as if nothing happend.

Rule 3 Stroke Play

3-2. Failure to Hole Out

If a competitor fails to hole out at any hole and does not correct his mistake before he makes a stroke on the next teeing ground or, in the case of the last hole of the round, before he leaves the putting green, he is disqualified.

Rule 18 specifically forbids touching the ball except with the club in the act of addressing the ball.

I break my rounds into 2 categories.

1.Rounds in which I don't drink or limit myself to a beer at the turn. Here I am a rules stickler, adhere to common etiquette and keep score.

2.Rounds in which I carry a flask and my cart cup holder is never without a cold one. Here I break every conventional rule

and several which are not rules since no one could imagine this sort of conduct.

My violations include:

Accidentally knocking the ball off the tee, sometimes more than once, and replacing it.

The play of multiple foot wedges on the same shot depending on the condition of the rough until my ball is in the fairway.

Entirely skipping the putting aspect of the hole and returning to my golf cart to make phone calls, drink beer and take in the natural scenery. I don't really care for my friends so giving them the courtesy of watching them putt is not relevant.

Drawing a line behind and in front of my ball in the bunker for aiming purposes.

While I don't keep score in category 2, I think that I generally break 80 when I drink since I don't play all the holes, rarely putt out and hit a lot of mulligans.

My violations include:

Accidentally knocking the ball off the tee, sometimes more than once, and replacing it.

The play of multiple foot wedges on the same shot depending on the condition of the rough until my ball is in the fairway.

Entirely skipping the putting aspect of the hole and returning to my golf cart to make phone calls, drink beer and take in the natural scenery. I don't really care for my friends so giving them the courtesy of watching them putt is not relevant.

Drawing a line behind and in front of my ball in the bunker for aiming purposes.

While I don't keep score in category 2, I think that I generally break 80 when I drink since I don't play all the holes, rarely putt out and hit a lot of mulligans.

Bscinstnct,

I wholely endorse your approach to the game, particularly your approach to your unwanted friends. I must, however, take issue with your perception that accidentally knocking the ball off the tee repeatedly is a rules violation. The hole has not started until such time as you intend to make a stroke, and knocking the ball off the tee at address only requires a penalty if you have already intentionally taken a stroke at the ball and entirely missed it. Good news for you and your careful score keeping! Perhaps you generally break 70 rather than 80 during these occasions!

-mini

In stroke play, isn't order of play an etiquette thing and not a rule? If I'm not mistaken, you can't be penalized or asked to replay the shot for playing out of order in a stroke play event.

The order of play is spelled out in the Rules. However, for stroke play there is usually no penalty for playing out of turn. That said, there are a couple of exceptions where playing out of turn is penalized.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but what are the couple of exceptions where playing out of turn is penalized in stroke play? I vividly remember Rory Sabbatini playing out of turn when he and Ben Crane were paired together, and he wasn't penalized.

Thanks.

Kevin

Playing out of turn doesn't automatically penalize you. The two exceptions are:

16-1f. Making Stroke While Another Ball in Motion

The player must not make a stroke while another ball is in motion after a stroke from the putting green, except that if a player does so, there is no penalty if it was his turn to play.

Rule 16 deals with the putting green. If the order of play is A, followed by B, followed by you and A putts and while his ball is moving you putt out of turn, then you would incurr a two stroke penalty (loss of hole in match play).

29-3. Stroke Play

If the partners make a stroke or strokes in incorrect order, such stroke or strokes are canceled and the side incurs a penalty of two strokes. ...

Rule 29 deals with threesomes and foursomes (sometimes referred to as alternate shot).

So it's safe to say that in an individual stroke play event, as long as you don't putt while another ball is in motion, then you can't be penalized for playing out of order. I've only played alternate shot a few times, so I'll have to log that rule in my memory.

Thanks!

Kevin

-mini

I understand this one but, along with alot of examples list, we play ready golf. Trying to get a round in after work, many rules get "bent".

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way