2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TM TP red/like Cally IX or I?

rymail00

Confused?
Hey guys, quick questions.

Is the TM TP RED more like a Callaway IX/Prov1x or Callaway I/Prov1?

Thanks for your replies.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The TM TP Red is supposed to be like the Prov1 and Callaway i.

The packaging is very confusing. It says for High-spin players, I guess that means if you want to reduce your spin use the TP Red. Look at the Golf Digest May 09 article on the Hot List for Golf Balls, I think that the GD website still has the article up.

I think it is the opposite. The TP Red is the lower spinning ball. The TP Black is the higher spinning ball.

So the Red is more like the Cally IX or ProV1X.

The thing that makes it confusing is that the Red is softer than the black. It also flies lower.

The prov1x and the cally ix are higher spinning than their counterparts.

I think it is the opposite. The TP Red is the lower spinning ball. The TP Black is the higher spinning ball.

The thing that makes it confusing is that the Red is softer than the black. It also flies lower.

Not off the driver they arent! The pro v1X and tour IX are both firmer and spin less than the V1/tour I.

I have been playing the TP Reds pretty much all summer. I got a couple of dozen at Dick's for $55 and tried them out. I had been playing the B330 but wanted to try something different. I can say the TP Red is a tad longer off the driver than the B330 in my case. Feel around the green is about the same as the B330.

While playing this past Sunday I found a Callaway Tour i and played it for about 6 holes. It was the <.Touri.> version. However, I was bombing this ball. I don't know if I had the heavier ball or not but I was hitting shots longer with this ball. The feel around the greens was about the same as the TP Reds. I may buy a dozen of the newer Tour i balls and see how they compare. I was impressed with the Callaway Tour i.

Not off the driver they arent! The pro v1X and tour IX are both firmer and spin less than the V1/tour I.

That's what makes the TM balls so confusing. TP Black is higher spin, higher launch but firmer (plays like the regular versions, feels like x verisons). The TP Reds are lower spin, lower launch but softer (plays like the x versions feels like the regular versions).

Sheesh, I'm more confused than ever after reading this thread. I thought the red was equivalent to proV1. I just bought ten dozen reds.

I prefer the feel of the reds like I prefer the feel of the prov1. The spin rate and luanch angle will not really be noticable. May 09 Golf Digest and the Feb 08 Golf Mag has more info.

This confusion is why the Pro V1/Pro V1x is the number one ball in golf and the TM Red/Black is not.

I can definitely tell the difference between playing a Pro V1 and a Pro V1x, but it is hard to tell the TM Red from the Black. The TM marketing is confusing so it is hard to know what to expect; softer with less spin? harder with more spin? more distance with lower trajectory?

I'd like to be taller and better looking....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I've been using the TP Red for almost a year now, and have concluded that the ball is a nice fit in between the tour i and tour ix, it has the feel of tour i, but flies lower than the tour i does, closer to the tour ix, but has the greenside spin in between the two callaway balls.

I use the TP Red for windy days and occasionally will use the tour i for no wind calm days.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

$20 million in marketing couldn't have made me understand most of that, whoever did the ad copy must have just finished up doing politcal ads...........say a lot, but make sure no one understands any of it at the end!

It's hard to believe they have the public so confused over their premier line of balls.

True

Titliest 917 D2 12*
Titliest 917 F2 16.5*
Titliest 818 H1 19*
Titliest 818 H1 25*
Titleist T100 6-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 52* F & Low Bounce 58* K
Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport

Niche balls. That's what TM is making. You have pros, like our head pro, that have a lower launch angle, and tend to hit the ball hard and a long way. He has to make some serious trade offs because he needs a lower spinning ball off the driver but loves a soft, responsive ball on and around the green. So, he needs a soft but lower spinning ball. So the Red is a soft feeling lower spinning ball for guys like our pro and Sergio, that clamp down on the ball, etc...

The black feels a little clickier to me and it actually spins more. It's long, and it spins more, which again is a niche. Both are good wind balls, which is another dimension to the niche.

I think most of the manufacturers have been leaning towards improving durability and wind performance since distance and spin are sort of at their limits in terms of the USGA limits.

Our pro (a former Nationwide touring pro) actually switched his staff company from Srixon to TM because of the Red LDP. There wasn't a ball exactly like that with Srixon.

The Tour i a medium spin ball in every respect, which is great for me. I can still work this ball but it simply does not balloon, and it's durable.

To me, the i and TM Red LDP feel and sound very similar, but the Tour i spins just a touch more around the greens. I think the Red feels one notch better off the putter, but it's close. It doesn't spin enough for me so I like the i.

The LDP technology is real. I think tee to green the LDP balls are excellent. It's partial wedge shots and the behavior off the driver that make me love the tour i.

Even the new Pro v1x spins less and is a little more durable. I like the new pro v1 alot. It reminds me of the 2007 b330-s, which had a more medium trajectory. The pro v1 feels better than that ball, and spins more on the greens, than the 2007 b330-s.

Hope this helps

I believe the red is like prov1 a la higher launch, higher spin

I believe the black is like the prov1x a la lower launch and spin.

I've always thought that the ProV1 was a higher launch ball than the ProV1x. But in Golf Digest's ball test from a few months ago, they show this year's ProV1 launching slightly lower than the ProV1x. I've played both balls this summer, and I have to agree with their test in terms of launch angle. Of course the ProV1 still spins more than the X.

I've played Pro V1's, V1X's, TP Reds, and TP Blacks. Here's my verdict on the TP balls.

TP Red LDP - Plays like a Pro V1 just a tad less spin around the green. Way more spin around the greens than with the TP Black and just a little more spin than the V1X. TP Black, V1X, and V1 all seem to be a little longer off the Tee to me. Basically it doesn't quite spin as well as the Pro V1 but it's a great option considering I can get them at walmart for 27.99 a dozen.

TP Black LDP - BALL IS LONG!!! Longer than either of the Titleist balls to me. Doesn't really have much spin around the green at all which I don't really like because I like being able to fly it pretty close to the hole and have it check. Again, for 27.99 a dozen it's a pretty good ball.

All in all I have been playing the Reds for a month or two and really like them but they don't seem to be as durable as a Titleist ball. Considering they're 27.99 versus 42.99 for the Pro V1 or X it's a pretty good ball and I will play them as long as I can get them for that price.

Qi10 Max w/ Speeder V7.3S
Sim 2 Ti 15* w/ Diamana BB 73S

Callaway UW 19* w/ MMT 70S

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

WOW!

Thanks guys for ALL the replies.

Phew...I dont know what to get, red or black. Well I am currently playing the Tour IX and might just stay with them. The TM TP's are just so cheap I was looking for your guys opinion.

So thanks so much for your input and like to hear more from you guys on other premium balls also.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

WOW!

Phew...I dont know what to get, red or black. Well I am currently playing the Tour IX and might just stay with them. The TM TP's are just so cheap I was looking for your guys opinion.

So thanks so much for your input and like to hear more from you guys on other premium balls also.

i have always played the tour ix. but have swithced to the tp red ldp. its does not scuff nearly as much. feels and flies the same. i would pick em up worth the money especially being only a little more for twice as many. id get a pack of both red and black. black are good for really fast greens, in my opinion.

WOW!

I was playing the TM TP Blacks (got the 2 for 55 deal), but I've started taking a liking to the Srixon ZStar X. Nice ball overall, though not much of a deal to be had there. The Nike Tour D's are OK too.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

WOW!

I was playing the TM TP Blacks (got the 2 for 55 deal), but I've started taking a liking to the Srixon ZStar X. Nice ball overall, though not much of a deal to be had there. The Nike Tour D's are OK too.

Well I try and buy 60-100 balls off of EBAY, usually near mint (AAAA-AAAAA).

The reason I started playing the Cally IX is because they were cheaper used on EBAY then the Prov1. No that I am currently unemployed :russian_roulette: I really have to go with the cheapest used premium ball I can find.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s